| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

cadryskitchen wrote:
I just made it last night actually, and mine came out just fine in the allotted time and all of the marinade had been soaked up. I wonder if it could be particular to the tofu that you used or a deep baking dish. I used the 16 oz. super firm tofu (that doesn't have to be pressed) and put it in slices in a lasagna-sized baking dish.

agreed, when i made the tofu cemita sandwiches i was surprised at the amount of marinade but my tofu drank it all up. i baked in a 9" x 13" pyrex glass dish and used twin oaks extra firm tofu, it's from a co-op in VA, I'm in GA, so i don't know how hard it is to find, it might just be an east coast regional thing??? it is awesome, it's refridgerated and vacuum sealed so it magically does not need any pressing at all. my omni hubby loves this brand.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hardcastle McCormick wrote:
i made the sauerkraut and mushroom soup with grilled field roast smoked apple and sage sausages last night. everybody thought that it sounded gross, but they loved it when they ate it. my omni nephew even liked it! the sour dilly cream is on page 70 and the soup is on page 130.

that's good to know. the 'kraut soup interested my hubby but i was a bit fearful it might be too intense flavorwise. i wonder if the recipe halves well????

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We've made that sauerkraut soup a couple times and love it. We do the smokey cabbage and seitan variation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

bookwormbethie wrote:
cadryskitchen wrote:
I just made it last night actually, and mine came out just fine in the allotted time and all of the marinade had been soaked up. I wonder if it could be particular to the tofu that you used or a deep baking dish. I used the 16 oz. super firm tofu (that doesn't have to be pressed) and put it in slices in a lasagna-sized baking dish.

agreed, when i made the tofu cemita sandwiches i was surprised at the amount of marinade but my tofu drank it all up. i baked in a 9" x 13" pyrex glass dish and used twin oaks extra firm tofu, it's from a co-op in VA, I'm in GA, so i don't know how hard it is to find, it might just be an east coast regional thing??? it is awesome, it's refridgerated and vacuum sealed so it magically does not need any pressing at all. my omni hubby loves this brand.

Hmm. I used a 9x13 aluminum baking sheet. Did you guys have the same results with the Asian tofu? Or did it end up too dry? I used regular firm tofu, and didn't press a lot, but I didn't press the last time I made the Asian tofu and that tofu turned out great. I still haven't tried my Mediterranean tofu, but I'll probably have some on a salad tonight - hopefully it is edible.

I'll have to try super firm tofu sometime. It's quite a bit more expensive than the brands I usually buy, though, so I just haven't been excited about it without being assured of its awesomeness. I've never noticed much of a difference between firm and extra firm of the brands I usually buy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:48 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Made the Greek creamy lemon rice soup. So good! Husband loved it. Served it up with gyros using the gyro seitan marinade.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:56 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

The Andean Aji Bean Stew (p. 116) is amazing! I didn't have any squash, so I subbed more potatoes. It made a ton - I'm looking forward to eating some more tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:13 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Shukriyya wrote:
The Andean Aji Bean Stew (p. 116) is amazing! I didn't have any squash, so I subbed more potatoes. It made a ton - I'm looking forward to eating some more tomorrow.

This is my favorite soup/stew thus far from the book. It's in my regular rotation in the winter. Sooooo good and makes a ton. And healthy! Chock full of good things.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:56 pm 

I just ordered this and got an amazing deal on it. Thought I'd have to order it in from the US, but apparently the German Amazon has it too and ships it for free to the Netherlands!

Can't wait till it's here!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:14 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I just have to express my never ending love for the daikon pickles again. I eat so much of them, it's ridiculous.
And my dad loves them too!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:17 pm 

*drumroll*

I've finished the index and here it is: Vegan Eats World Index.pdf or Vegan Eats World Index.doc

I'm sure there are inconsistencies and things missing, and I'm not even sure any more if this index is all that much different from the one in the book, but maybe some of you will find it useful. Feel free to delete entries you don't need if you want to print it out. When the file becomes unavailable, send me a PM and I'll upload it again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:42 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Wow, awesome job!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

What is a reasonable price (US) for the aji amarillo paste for the Andean bean stew (p116)? Or has anyone done the substitution?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:34 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

just made the Chinese Sausage Crumbles (tempeh with 5 spice powder) using the brandy suggested in lieu of rose wine, and it was *amazing*. Sweet and sticky, super easy and fast. Served it with white/brown rice blend and roasted broccoli.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:13 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Shukriyya wrote:
*drumroll*

I've finished the index

Shazam! This looks awesome!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for the index, Shukriyya!

We had a Vegan Eats World dinner extravaganza last night, and it was beyond amazing. I made the tofu portion of the Bulgogi, then the Char Siu Seitan on the next page. Finally, I made the Dolsot Bibimbap and let everybody pick and choose how to doll up their plates. All the flavors combined beautifully, and there were hardly any leftovers (just the seitan, mostly, cuz it made a ton). I never cease to be floored by this book.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

do i have to create an account to download the file as the link is not working for me.

again, awesome job shukriyya! master indexer!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:15 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Amazing, Shukriyya! I printed it off and it'll go in my book. Thanks so much! <3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

figured it out, amazing index!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:24 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Thank you, Shukriyya! This will help me to use this book so much more. I rely on indexes a lot when I'm cooking, like when I have an abundance of a particular veggie or just really want to eat a certain thing.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:59 am 

allularpunk wrote:
Thank you, Shukriyya! This will help me to use this book so much more. I rely on indexes a lot when I'm cooking, like when I have an abundance of a particular veggie or just really want to eat a certain thing.

Me, too!

A couple of things:
- It's meant as an additional index, so please check both if you are looking for something. I'm sure there are entries in the original index that are missing in my version.
- I've only added recipes that use a big amount of the ingredient. With the scallions, I added recipes that use 4 or more.
- There are a lot more recipes using tomatoes, I was just too lazy to add them all. ;)
- I know that there is another recipe using celeriac root - probably in the soup or stew section?
- In the beginning, I was going to add chilies, but there are just too many of them! If you have some chilies that need to be eaten, you can pick pretty much any recipe from the book! ;)
- If you come across things that you think should be added, you can send me a PM and I'll update the index.

Beanitarian wrote:
What is a reasonable price (US) for the aji amarillo paste for the Andean bean stew (p116)? Or has anyone done the substitution?

I don't know about US prices, but I paid €2 or €3 for mine? I think it was €3, but I bought it a while ago. I noticed that Terry said you should use it within two weeks - I think I've had mine in the refrigerator for about six months or so, and it's still good. I don't necessarily advocate doing that, but if it takes you a little bit more than two weeks to finish it, it should be fine! I think there's another recipe using aji amarillo in VEW - does anyone remember which one it is? If you have Viva Vegan, the spicy cheezy sauce uses it as well (I LOVE that recipe!).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:05 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Shukriyya wrote:
- I know that there is another recipe using celeriac root - probably in the soup or stew section?

Celeriac root is needed for the Bountiful Beet and Mushroom Borscht (page 125). I know because it's on this week's menu. :)

AWESOME index - thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:05 am 

Perfect timing! Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:40 am 

Beanitarian wrote:

I buy the Zocalo organic aji pastes. It's the only brand I've ever seen, but I guess I haven't looked too hard at the ethnic markets. I can't remember how much they are, but maybe $7-8 for 8 oz? Next time I'm at WF I'll try to remember to check the price.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:23 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Pad Sew Ew last night. I loved it. I was being lazy and did not feel like cooking but I pushed myself to make myself a meal that was not just tater tots. I am so glad I did. This was such a quick meal to put together and did not create a big mess in the kitchen. I used regular broccoli since I have a ton of it. I skipped the tofu since I had tofu for lunch. I loved this so much I think I'm going to make it again later this week. I will add some crushed red pepper too as I tend to add that to everything and make the tofu for it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:52 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

um I am so excited to have an excellent index, you are amazing!

Reply to topic  [ 922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 37  Next