| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:08 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I so love this cookbook. The island rice and beans (I used black eyed peas) with jerk seitan strips was awesome. But question for you guys - are Scotch bonnett peppers readily accessible to you? I had one from a friend at work. She moved from Jamaica to NY (and now to Vegas) and she has her family ship her peppers from NY. I cannot find them anywhere here. I think habaneros would be the closest sub?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

emmalv wrote:
I so love this cookbook. The island rice and beans (I used black eyed peas) with jerk seitan strips was awesome. But question for you guys - are Scotch bonnett peppers readily accessible to you? I had one from a friend at work. She moved from Jamaica to NY (and now to Vegas) and she has her family ship her peppers from NY. I cannot find them anywhere here. I think habaneros would be the closest sub?

I love that recipe (I should try the jerk seitan too). I use habaneros. Never seen a Scotch bonnet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:56 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I use scotch bonnets and habaneros pretty much interchangeably

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm making the tempeh katsu again. Last time I didn't make the sauce and had it on a salad with carrot ginger dressing. This time I'm making the tonkatsu sauce. I'm so excited. I think this may be my favorite method of breading. I don't know why I've never seen a recipe that asks you to mix oil in with the bread crumbs. It's genius because you bake it and it still gets all golden. nice job terry!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:57 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

emmalv wrote:
I loved those carnitas. I'm thinking about adapting the recipe to the slow cooker for extra marinading goodness.

I did that last night acutally. I was already cooking some beans in my slow cooker, so I let the jackfruit marinade for like 1.5 hours, then threw it in the slow cooker on high for 2.5 hours or so.

They were SO GOOD. really flavorful.

I remember the first time I cooked them, they were way to hot for me. And I love hot. My partner didn't notice the heat, but I did.

I realized that since I am allergic/super sensitive to pineapple (it makes my mouth and tounge burn and itch), I can't use the whole 2 cups the recipe calls for, or it bothers me. So now I use about 1 cup, and the rest water, and it comes out perfect.

I have made this recipe about 4 times now, I just love it. Omni partner approved too. He said, with a full mouth last night "I forking love these"

I made the cashew-yogurt sauce too. I liked it, but needed to add some lime, I thought it was slightly bland. Now I have a TON of it! I didn't realize there would be so much. How well does it save? 1 week? 2? can I freeze it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's probably best that you can't use the full amount of pineapple juice, because I did the first time and they were waaaay too sweet and tangy. I think half would be perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:32 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Chicki wrote:
emmalv wrote:
I loved those carnitas. I'm thinking about adapting the recipe to the slow cooker for extra marinading goodness.

I did that last night acutally. I was already cooking some beans in my slow cooker, so I let the jackfruit marinade for like 1.5 hours, then threw it in the slow cooker on high for 2.5 hours or so.

They were SO GOOD. really flavorful.

I remember the first time I cooked them, they were way to hot for me. And I love hot. My partner didn't notice the heat, but I did.

I realized that since I am allergic/super sensitive to pineapple (it makes my mouth and tounge burn and itch), I can't use the whole 2 cups the recipe calls for, or it bothers me. So now I use about 1 cup, and the rest water, and it comes out perfect.

I have made this recipe about 4 times now, I just love it. Omni partner approved too. He said, with a full mouth last night "I forking love these"

I made the cashew-yogurt sauce too. I liked it, but needed to add some lime, I thought it was slightly bland. Now I have a TON of it! I didn't realize there would be so much. How well does it save? 1 week? 2? can I freeze it?

Great, I'll for sure try them in the slow cooker. I think I actually omitted the pineapple juice altogether, just because I'm not a juice person and didn't want to waste the leftovers. I don't have the book in front of me, but I thought I made a pumpkin seed based sauce to go with them? I did add a bunch of lime, and I did freeze the leftovers but haven't used them yet. I've had decent luck with defrosting seed/nut based sauces so hopefully it works. I would think for the cashew yogurt sauce you could probably keep it for up to a week in the fridge but if you know you aren't going to use it, I'd freeze it in individual portions. I'm not sure how it'll defrost, because I found sometimes yogurt gets weird (but that was homemade yogurt, so that could be it also). You may have to gussy it up once defrosted, but if its otherwise going to go to waste, you sorta don't have anything to lose?

I also did the seitan gyro rollups yesterday for lunch. I didn't even use the specific seitan - I just marinated some from a basic recipe and used the yogurt dill sauce she references. Super good, like I wanted another meal of it right away good.

On Saturday I made the pad kee mao and wasn't as impressed as I was with the pad thai or some of the other recipes. It was fine but just not "oh shiitake fabulous!" like others.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:12 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The tofu cemita sandwiches are awesome! I made them for the first time. I did use a whole wheat bun instead of white sesame, cause I'm against white bread, and left out the veganaisse cause I think mayo is a sandwich destroyer. But it was the best sandwich I ever had.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 pm 

Has anyone made the tofu hijiki burger? I have it in my sights for tomorrow as my husband won't touch hijiki and I'm only cooking for me. I have trouble imagining how they're going to taste.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:02 pm 

Has anyone made the tofu hijiki burger? I have it in my sights for tomorrow as my husband won't touch hijiki and I'm only cooking for me. I have trouble imagining how they're going to taste.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:05 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

ooh Efcliz I haven't tried those yet but I ate the burger that inspired that recipe many many times over the years (at the Dojo restaurants). If I am remembering correctly, it was kinda crispy but soaked in sauce on the outside and softly tofu-ey in a great way on the inside. I'd say you might have to be a plainer tofu fan to enjoy it though.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:34 pm 

Thanks! I'm going to try them while I'm on my own.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The split pea soup with chard is a lot better than the title would suggest, and not too calorie-heavy if you're into that. Really subtle Ethiopian flavors going on if you use the spiced oil and berbere.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

molly wrote:
Has anyone had success with the injera-style crepes? I tried them tonight and it was an utter failure. I used buckwheat flour, though, because I didn't have teff, so maybe that was it?

My first batch was a total failure. The batter was so thin it spread out like a crazy amoeba, tilting it did not cover any holes and it stuck to the pan in paper thin awfulness. Does that mean the pan was too hot, too?

I added more AP flour and my next batch was fine.

My sweetheart suggests that being at sea-level might have something to do with it but it also took me 8 years to make a decent pancake so it might be me.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:16 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Efcliz wrote:

I've made these. I think we were kind of meh about them. The taste was pretty good, but mine turned out super crumbly and fall aparty, so they were hard to eat.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:20 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

The eggplant shakshuka with the green tahini sauce is awesome! It didn't turn out as saucy as in the picture, but it was very, very good. I used a modified version of the tahini sauce with only a little bit of cilantro. The tahini sauce is a must for this dish, it really complements it very well.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:41 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Starryeyed wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

I've made these. I think we were kind of meh about them. The taste was pretty good, but mine turned out super crumbly and fall aparty, so they were hard to eat.

I got my friend this book for Xmas, and she had us over for dinner and made these burgers. I'm sorry to say that they were totally NOT a hit. They were bland and crumbly and oily. My husband didn't even eat his.

I was a little sad because it was her first time using the book.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:22 am 
Bathes in Braggs

madeleine.teacup wrote:
molly wrote:
Has anyone had success with the injera-style crepes? I tried them tonight and it was an utter failure. I used buckwheat flour, though, because I didn't have teff, so maybe that was it?

My first batch was a total failure. The batter was so thin it spread out like a crazy amoeba, tilting it did not cover any holes and it stuck to the pan in paper thin awfulness. Does that mean the pan was too hot, too?

I added more AP flour and my next batch was fine.

My sweetheart suggests that being at sea-level might have something to do with it but it also took me 8 years to make a decent pancake so it might be me.

I had a tough time with these, and I consider myself to be decent in the crepe making dept. In fact, I thought I had mis-read the recipe - I guess I just wasn't expecting the batter to be that thin. I added additional buckwheat flour and sprayed my newish non-stick pan with a couple of hita of canola oil between each crepe as extra insurance in order to make it work (and even then still had 2 throwaways). I'm at almost 3k above sea level, so I don't think that's it. Maybe achieving this level of crepe-dom is just something I need to aspire to.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:03 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made the Chana Masala last night. It was just OK. I have a couple of other Chana Masala recipes that I love, so I probably won't make this one again. The addition of the pomegranate molasses was kind of weird. It made it sweet-ish. It was not bad, but I like my Chana Masala to be a bit more authentic I think. Looking forward to using that bottle of pomegranate molasses for something else though!

Also made a batch of the Seitan Coriander Cutlets yesterday. Gyros tonight, fajitas later this week. I think I like the texture! Seemed pretty firm. A little bland, but easy enough to spice up with marinade or more spices when making them. For me (and I think most of you guys agree) seitan is all about the texture...if you can get that right, then flavor can be adjusted easily.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:47 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Chicki wrote:
I made the Chana Masala last night. It was just OK. I have a couple of other Chana Masala recipes that I love, so I probably won't make this one again. The addition of the pomegranate molasses was kind of weird. It made it sweet-ish. It was not bad, but I like my Chana Masala to be a bit more authentic I think. Looking forward to using that bottle of pomegranate molasses for something else though!

There's a recipe in this book for a kale salad with sweet potatoes and pita crisps (sorry, can't remember the actual name!) that has the pomegranate molasses in the dressing. Combined with sumac (which is sprinkled on top) it is mighty tasty.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:19 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Tried island rice and pigeon peas with jerk soy strips. Very boring color but tasty!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:42 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

allularpunk wrote:
Chicki wrote:

There's a recipe in this book for a kale salad with sweet potatoes and pita crisps (sorry, can't remember the actual name!) that has the pomegranate molasses in the dressing. Combined with sumac (which is sprinkled on top) it is mighty tasty.

oooh I will have to try that!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I've got the cashew cheese culturing in my yogurt maker right now. Its tasting pretty good so far. I'm excited!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:36 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Hey, everybody! I got bored yesterday and started an index based on country/region for all of the recipes. Anybody want to take a look at it before I upload it to an online pdf something or other (also, how do I do that?) for everyone to see? Some of the recipes don't say where EXACTLY they're from, so maybe someone with a little more expertise in international cuisine could help me out. PM me if you're interested!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Nice, allularpunk! You can upload the .pdf to Google Drive and set the sharing permissions so that anyone with the link can access it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 39  Next