| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:30 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I got this book for Christmas, did not make many recipes as I was super busy and then travelling, can't wait to go back home and try some of yours. I particularly discovered ban mihs not too long ago and would love to make them at home!

I have made the pickled cucumbers with ginger. I LOVE those. I think I made them at least 10 times in a couple months lol. I made naan bread, had a hard time not to eat everything. I think I finished it in 2 days lol.

I absolutely want to make the french crepes, hope they are good. And will be making more seitan too!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:53 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Disregard, totally just figured it out. Computers!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:04 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

VegSo wrote:
I have made the pickled cucumbers with ginger. I LOVE those. I think I made them at least 10 times in a couple months lol.

I'd like to try those too, but I can't seem to find the recipe. Could you tell me which page it's on? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:18 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Shukriyya wrote:
VegSo wrote:
I have made the pickled cucumbers with ginger. I LOVE those. I think I made them at least 10 times in a couple months lol.

I'd like to try those too, but I can't seem to find the recipe. Could you tell me which page it's on? Thanks!

Ginger-Marinated Cucumbers pg. 80.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:23 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made the Bulgur Mujaddara (pg. 307) but without orzo and Lebanese Moussaka Stew (pg. 158), which was awesome. I recommend this recipe for eggplant skeptics like myself! This book is full of eggplant and this recipe made me hopeful that I can learn to love it.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:56 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

fruitbat wrote:
Ginger-Marinated Cucumbers pg. 80.

Thank you! Turns out I've been looking in the wrong chapter.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:25 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ok, everyone, here's the index, by region and country. I think it's pretty useful if you're in the mood for a certain type of cuisine and don't want to randomly flip through the book. I understand why Terry or the publishers didn't arrange the book this way, though, since a few places only have one or two recipes. Lastly, some recipes are listed under two regions/countries because it's either fusion or she said that it is commonly made in two different places. Hope you guys like it!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:31 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Thank you so much!! That will make meal-planning sooooo much easier if I want to stick to region.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:49 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

That's brilliant! Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:52 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Ooooohhhhh thank you so much allularpunk!!! This is super helpful!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:00 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

allularpunk wrote:
Ok, everyone, here's the index, by region and country.

This is fantastic, allularpunk! I have printed it out and am good to go. Thanks for sharing your hard work!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

wowza! this is awesome! thank you!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh, yay! I'm glad you all find it useful! It was actually quite fun to put together.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:22 am 

I made the Like an Egyptian Lentil soup yesterday, it was really really good! I left out the coriander because bleaph, and had to use ground cumin as I was out of whole seeds. It was mighty tasty! Will make again for sure. I loved the onions, they made it into a delicious breed of lentil soup and onion soup.

Next planned is the Yassa tofu, trying to decide on a side that would go well with it. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:11 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm making the Yassa tofu, but with seitan instead! As my side, I'm doing the lemony dill rice. Figured the lemon-ness would go with it, even if it's from a different part of the world.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

allularpunk wrote:
Ok, everyone, here's the index, by region and country. I think it's pretty useful if you're in the mood for a certain type of cuisine and don't want to randomly flip through the book. I understand why Terry or the publishers didn't arrange the book this way, though, since a few places only have one or two recipes. Lastly, some recipes are listed under two regions/countries because it's either fusion or she said that it is commonly made in two different places. Hope you guys like it!

Awesome work! I appreciate it greatly, it beats me trying to get around to doing something myself.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:53 pm 

So, made the Yassa tofu with the west african rice (page 313, don't remember the title). I loved them both! Even my omni boyfriend (who said the moroccan chickpeas and zucchini from AFR was just "ok") liked it and requested it again for the future.
However we both found the tofu a bit dry; I think next time I will bake it covered in foil the first 20 minutes and remove it for the rest, maybe it will be saucier. I also had to take the tofu out of the onions and carrots and lay it on top, otherwise it was completely covered and I doubt it would have been so nice and firm.

In any case success again! So far, 4 out of 4 recipes from this book have been awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:52 am 
Nailed to the V

I made the summer rolls with avocado. Is it just me, or are rice paper rolls really condom-like? I'm a little disappointed, so many people seem to really like them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:59 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

allularpunk wrote:

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this, I am printing it and tucking it into my book now!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:07 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just made the muhammara (red pepper dip). it is SO good! it's amazing to me how much of a difference it really makes when you toast and grind your own spices.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:21 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

amonik wrote:
I made the summer rolls with avocado. Is it just me, or are rice paper rolls really condom-like? I'm a little disappointed, so many people seem to really like them.

haha! OMG! Now that you say it! I'm not going to be able to eat them without giggling now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:55 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the Chinese spicy eggplant (can't recall the exact name of the dish) last night. It came out very good -- reminiscent of Chinese restaurant eggplant, but less oily, which I appreciated a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:07 am 
Saggy Butt

amonik wrote:

I shall never be able to look at fresh spring rolls the same ever again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:53 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Anek wrote:
I made the Like an Egyptian Lentil soup yesterday, it was really really good! I left out the coriander because bleaph, and had to use ground cumin as I was out of whole seeds. It was mighty tasty! Will make again for sure. I loved the onions, they made it into a delicious breed of lentil soup and onion soup.

Next planned is the Yassa tofu, trying to decide on a side that would go well with it. Suggestions?

I made the Egyptian Lentil soup tonight and it was the first thing I've cooked out of Vegan Eats World. I kept the coriander and used cumin seeds. The onions were too much for me though. And I like onions! I think next time I'd cut down to 1 red onion instead of 3. I'm not really sure about the red wine vinegar either, I think I'd prefer to go without it next time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:58 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made a few new things for the cookbook challenge, and was very happy with them! Posted in that thread.

I made the pistachio date quiona salad the other day. It had some really surprising favors in there.

Next time I will use less dates, if they are as sweet as mine were this time! And add pistachios last so there is a bit of crunch. I thought this salad was way better the next day, room temp for lunch.
Oh, and the toasted quiona with fennel and cumin seeds was pretty damn good just on its own!

This will be a perfect dish to bring to a potluck with skeptical omni foodies. Yes, I have someone specifically in mind haha.

my kinda meat and potatoes guy was kinda confused by this one...I think the dates weirded him out. He thought dried apricots might be better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next