| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:52 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Coincidentally I was just eyeing the shakshuka recipe... I'll add that to next week's roster. I'm trying to make recipes I haven't yet tried, so this week I am making the quinoa pistachio salad discussed above and the tempeh with preserved lemon and olives with the lemon dill rice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A heads up about that tempeh recipe, I wouldn't bother adding ANY salt. It was almost inedible salty from the lemons and olives when I made it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:46 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks creep, will do.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:52 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm just eating the Columbian Lentils and Rice which I made for lunch since I had to use some ingredients up and needed lunch. I subbed shallots for all of the onions and garlic (like, I think around eight smallish shallots) and threw in about 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder and cut the recipe by one-third to make four servings rather than six (because of amount of coconut milk I had on hand was not enough for full recipe). Still so delicious! Just a sprinkling of Chouloula hot sauce (whatever hot sauce on hand would be good) and it's super yum. It would be nice with something cabbagey on the side (like the recipe preamble suggests) but I need to go shopping so just using up the dregs of what's left from last week's shop. Anyway, yum! Super easy to make too and stuff I usually always have in my kitchen anyhoo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:12 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I found sumac powder to make the quinoa date pistachio salad! Yay! Next week will be full of yum.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:00 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

ooh we've been very into the various Korean recipes in this book but I've had trouble finding some ingredients at my usual Chinatown haunts (I know, not Korean, but most of the stores stock a variety of different Asian stuff). Then lo and behold I went into my local overpriced sorta health food/ sorta hipster convenience store in Bushwick and found that seasoned soy paste stuff, I think for lettuce wraps in this book? anyway the young Korean cashier was quite taken aback at my buying it and nudged the worker next to him too. I said "oh yeah I love Korean food but I'm vegan so I mostly have to make it at home" and they were pretty stoked.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:10 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Oh man, I just made the Jamaican Seitan Patties and they are amazing! I love the way the ground seitan is spiced so much, I never knew how great Jamaican curry powder was until now! I can see making this seitan mixture for tacos, shepherds pie, and even to top baked taters.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Audrey wrote:
ooh we've been very into the various Korean recipes in this book but I've had trouble finding some ingredients at my usual Chinatown haunts (I know, not Korean, but most of the stores stock a variety of different Asian stuff). Then lo and behold I went into my local overpriced sorta health food/ sorta hipster convenience store in Bushwick and found that seasoned soy paste stuff, I think for lettuce wraps in this book? anyway the young Korean cashier was quite taken aback at my buying it and nudged the worker next to him too. I said "oh yeah I love Korean food but I'm vegan so I mostly have to make it at home" and they were pretty stoked.

This is awesome and I hope it was Mr. Kiwi's.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, and I've made the Egyptian Lentil and Black Bean stews within the past week...so good!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My tester copy finally arrived after getting totally lost and probably traversing the entire globe. I've been making a few things from the tester index regularly, so it'll be nice to have a book instead, but I'm also super keen to try out a few things that I didn't see during testing. I have a ton of potatoes in the kitchen for some reason, so kati rolls are on the menu this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:15 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I didn't even realise there was a recipe for Kati rolls in it. I love them!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:44 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

jdfunks wrote:
Audrey wrote:

This is awesome and I hope it was Mr. Kiwi's.

it was that big 24hr Hana Mart on Wyckoff near Jefferson...lotsa decently cheap Asian goodies like noodles + overpriced-but-awesome-in-a-pinch vegan supplies. It's the closest place where we can buy Daiya for instance, so ya know if its a pizza emergency I guess I can pay $6 for a bag since it means I can walk there. Anyway, end thread derail now, sorry!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Efcliz wrote:
I didn't even realise there was a recipe for Kati rolls in it. I love them!

They were really good! We added the tandoori tofu to them as well. I'm still terrible at making chapatis, though.

I picked up a ton of tiny lemons from the farmers market yesterday, so this afternoon I'll try the freezer lemons. Then the braised tempeh tagine thing during the week.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Savory Baked Tofu with the Mediterranean option. Num! It smelled unbelievable when it was baking, and it's so flavorful! I love how there's plenty of wine in the marinade; the tofu just drinks it up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I love the savory baked tofu and all the options I've tried.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:10 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made the Lebanese Eggplant Stew last night.

I looooved it. So good. Really pretty easy too. I made it with some spiced cous cous

I was hoping my partner, who loves eggplant would like it more. He said it was missing something. I didn't have any parsley, so maybe that was it. It could have used it.

Well too bad for him, this one is definitely going on my rotation!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:02 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made two things today that I just happened to have all of the ingredients for! (Which is rare for me, for this book.) First up, French Socca, with the herbes de provence option. It didn't make as many as it said it would (or at least, not as big as they were supposed to be), but they were SO great! I ate them alongside a big salad and it was a very filling, satisfying meal. Will definitely make these again.

I also made the Classic Sesame Noodles with Ginger Marinated Cucumbers. Came together very quickly once the cukes were done (I didn't peel mine, I wanted that nice crunch factor) and that sauce is just...drinkable. I had to use regular tahini and rice vinegar. I can't wait for the leftovers for lunch! I guess I lied, because I didn't have lettuce or cabbage, so I did just eat them with the cucumbers, but it was still filling and awesome.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Last night I made the Sri Lankan dal, malluma and coconut roti. Really tasty, and I loved that the dal gave me a way to use some of my pandan extract stash. The malluma was really similar to the stuff I ate in Sri Lanka, and the roti were some of the quickest and easiest I've made. Looking forward to tackling at least part of the mountain of leftovers tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made the take out stirfry with shittakes and greens (p. 231-232) and added a recipe of savory baked tofu and some hot chile sauce (from the variations suggestions) for lunch. Super good and authentic tasting! I've never had those thick wheat noodles before and I had to go downtown to get them (the Spadina/Dundas area of Chinatown in that fabulous market where it has steps down into the store. Tons of fresh produce and SO CHEAP I about fell over when the cashier announced my total. I paid $23 for a ton of stuff I would have paid $50+ at a regular or urban market). Anyway, it's really good and easy just a couple of tricky ingreds in the recipe you might need to go to a special market for.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the seitan, almond and sesame tagine. Absolutely perfect! I thought it might be a little under-spiced for my taste but the flavours really shine through beautifully. I used carrots and parsnips for the veg, and half chopped dates and apricots for the dried fruit. I also only used 1 tsp oil to toast the nuts and seeds, and just used a little spray oil and stock for the veggies. It really tasted like there was a lot more oil in it when it was done.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

I've made the Soft Corn Tortillas for two days in a row now. I am totally smitten with them. They're so freakin' easy and delicious. Seriously, I just want to keep making them forever. Awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:32 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

This cookbook has been sitting on my shelf, unused for some time now. I really want to get into it but I am intimidated by it's size... hehe. So anyways, I see there are 33 pages to this thread that probably have a lot of great suggestions on what is yummy. Does anyone have a to-die-for recipe from this book I should try first? I am going to give it another flip through and see if anything calls out to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Some of my faves are:

- Andean Aji Bean Stew (p. 116)
- The Great Big Vegetable Couscous (p. 134) with Fluffy Spiced Couscous (p. 303)
- Coconut Black-Eyed Pea Curry (p. 139)
- Flying Massaman Curry (p. 141)
- Eggplant Shakshuka with Green Tahini Sauce (p. 153)
- Classic Sesame Noodles with Marinated Cucumbers (p. 237)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:31 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I made the Quinoa Pistachio Dates salad the other night, it was really tasty but the onion was too much, I woke up the next day with still a taste of it in my mouth. Next time, no onion. Otherwise, really nice!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:03 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I made the adobo and I was a little alarmed by the amount of soy sauce. It may be authentic but next time I will cut it with some water. It absorbed the flavors into the potatoes and tofu really well though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next