| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I made the black bean soup tonight. I had a ton of red peppers from my CSA, so I roasted those and used them instead. It was really delicious and super easy. I did the no soak bean cooking method and added a 1/2 tsp of baking soda to help them break down faster. It totally worked and my beans were done cooking in the oven in a little over an hour. I felt super accomplished making beans from scratch and roasting red peppers on the stove top. So awesome.
http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/06/ ... beans.html (i put the oven to 300 to speed up the process)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Can you freeze curry leaves? I have more than I will need for the immediate future

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
Can you freeze curry leaves? I have more than I will need for the immediate future

I leave mine in the freezer. They've been in there for months and still seem okay.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

LisaPunk wrote:
Pretty much any of the ones with pandanus leaves but specifically:

Pumpkin coconut curry (pg 136)
Whole cashew curry (pg 140)
Sri Lankan red lentil curry (pg 142)

I made the first two and would make them again. The pandans I'm sure enhance the recipe, but I think you'll be ok without.
I saw your curry leaves question too. I found mine dig keep for a decent amount of time in the fridge, but if you want to store them long term I think they'd be ok in the freezer because they seem to be always chopped and cooked. Plus I think Terry says in the beginning of the book they can be frozen?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:29 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

For those who have made the Pistachio Date Quinoa salad: do you really need 4-6 TBSP. of sumac powder? I have never cooked with it before since I finally just located a jar but that seems like ALOT, like my whole jar worth.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the sri lankan red lentil curry and the coconut roti tonight.
both were really good.
i did not have any pandan leaves because i couldnt find them.

for the spices when i saw it called for 1 whole teaspoon of cayenne i was like NUH-UH!
i did a half tsp and that was still too much for me. my husband thought it was fine though.
i think i will also do less peppercorns next time i make it just per my own personal taste

there was also no way in hell that i could simmer the lentils for 35 mins. the dahl was thick after like 5 mins and most of the water was gone. i had to add more water and i stopped simmering after 10 mins.

overall we really liked it. it was really good with the roti. but now i have like a tiny bit of the frozen coconut left and it says not to refreeze. smoothies maybe?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

brontrent wrote:
For those who have made the Pistachio Date Quinoa salad: do you really need 4-6 TBSP. of sumac powder? I have never cooked with it before since I finally just located a jar but that seems like ALOT, like my whole jar worth.

I haven't been able to find sumac powder yet and I just made the salad without. It was still delicious, so I'll bet you can get by with much less!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:35 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

mandycoot wrote:
brontrent wrote:

I haven't been able to find sumac powder yet and I just made the salad without. It was still delicious, so I'll bet you can get by with much less!

I did a liberal sprinkling. Quite possibly less than written.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:33 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

LisaPunk wrote:
did anyone else's copy of this book fall apart? a big chunk of mine came unglued from the binding and now it's a pain in the asparagus to flip through :-(

If you bought it at a bookstore (I dont know about Amaz*on or online bookstores, their return policies arent generally very clear) you can definitely return it and they'll order a new one for you, free of charge.

Quote:
I made the chickpea ginger tomato stew... I LOVE THIS! I made it twice, first time I used sriracha, and the last time I used jalapenos... this is really great!

One of my favourite meal on this cookbook, & very easy to make.
Other favourites:
-Red lentil kibbeh with cilantro and lemon juice <3 (I love lebanese food with a passion)
-Cashew tzatziki
-Kimchi + Kimchi dumplings!!!! <3<3
-Bibimpbap and Japchae (Korean rice dish and Korean noodle dish)
-Pumpkin seed dip
-Afghan pumpkin dumplings
-Socca (chickpea crepes)
-Lemon garlic potatoes (almost same recipe in Vcon but tastier)

et cetc.
I love this book so much! I just wish there were more pictures, as I dont know / neevr heard of a lot of the original recipes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:10 am 
WELFARIST!

fruitbat wrote:
mandycoot wrote:
brontrent wrote:

I did a liberal sprinkling. Quite possibly less than written.

yes, I used quite a bit less than written and it still seemed like plenty of sumac powder. It did add a little something but I also think the salad would be fine without it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:13 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

LisaPunk wrote:
i made the sri lankan red lentil curry and the coconut roti tonight.
both were really good.
i did not have any pandan leaves because i couldnt find them.

for the spices when i saw it called for 1 whole teaspoon of cayenne i was like NUH-UH!
i did a half tsp and that was still too much for me. my husband thought it was fine though.
i think i will also do less peppercorns next time i make it just per my own personal taste

there was also no way in hell that i could simmer the lentils for 35 mins. the dahl was thick after like 5 mins and most of the water was gone. i had to add more water and i stopped simmering after 10 mins.

overall we really liked it. it was really good with the roti. but now i have like a tiny bit of the frozen coconut left and it says not to refreeze. smoothies maybe?

Dammit! I made the Red Lentil Dahl with Curry Leaves and had thought of your post so cut back on the cayenne pepper because I didn't properly read what you had made. I only put 1/2tsp cayenne in the dahl but it soooooo could have done with the full one. Oh well. It is for work lunches this week so at least I am not sweating like mad from the heat of it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Oh man you like spicy food!

I'm a big baby!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:37 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ok guys, I have not been able to find Pandan leaves anywhere...but the other day at the Thai supply store, I saw a can of pandan extract. It was like .99, so I got it.

Anyone think that maybe a teaspoon of this could be a good sub for the leaves?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:42 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

LisaPunk wrote:
Oh man you like spicy food!

I'm a big baby!

Jeez, maybe I am hardcore then because that didn't even make me need to take a drink after a full bowl of it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:56 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Chicki wrote:
Ok guys, I have not been able to find Pandan leaves anywhere...but the other day at the Thai supply store, I saw a can of pandan extract. It was like .99, so I got it.

Take a peak at the beginning of the book I think she talks about subbing in the extract. Also at least one of the recipes tells you how much extract to use as a sub

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:58 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

LisaPunk wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Take a peak at the beginning of the book I think she talks about subbing in the extract. Also at least one of the recipes tells you how much extract to use as a sub

Thanks! Totally missed that part :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:44 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Terry asked on her blog to send any errors because they are going to do another run.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Eating the celery root puree with redwine braised leeks and shrooms. So good and comforty and elegant for a monday lunch.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:19 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

For a light dinner last night I made the skordalia with oven fried zucchini and eggplant. The only deviation is that I served it with a simple crushed tomato sauce. This was for sure a winner, and skeptical Omni husband liked it. With the inclusion of the sauce, I think next time I make it I might turn it into a casserole...
That skordalia is garlicky but I could just eat it by itself with a spoon. So good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:15 am 
Nailed to the V

emmalv wrote:
For a light dinner last night I made the skordalia with oven fried zucchini and eggplant. The only deviation is that I served it with a simple crushed tomato sauce. This was for sure a winner, and skeptical Omni husband liked it. With the inclusion of the sauce, I think next time I make it I might turn it into a casserole...
That skordalia is garlicky but I could just eat it by itself with a spoon. So good.

Yeah, I made that skordalia months ago but I still remember it because my husband was obsessed with it. It was really really good. In fact, I should make it again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:26 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

ooh we made those gluten-free kimchi pancakes for brunch yesterday and like all the other Korean recipes in this book, we loved them! so spicy and crispy and light. I had like 3 jars of kimchi (store-bought) in the fridge, each with just about a quarter left in them, and had been saving them for this very recipe! We ate most of them just standing at the counter in the kitchen, they were so addictive. I bought white rice flour just for this recipe and now I gotta research some other uses for it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the green curry over the weekend. I switched up all the vegetables except for the eggplant and it was divine. I usually buy curry paste which is silly since I grow peppers, lemongrass, kaffir lime, and Thai basil and it was time consuming but totally worth it to make my own paste. The best part was that green curry is usually too spicy for my belly but I was able to de-seed all the peppers so it was completely mild. Perfect for the cold rainy days we've been having. I really want to make the pho again now instead of Thanksgiving!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:45 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Does anyone know if I can make the tarte Tatin with refined coconut oil, in place of margarine? I rarely buy margarine and i have a lot of coconut oil.
I've never made tarte Tatin, planning to do it for my partner's birthday, I can't wait :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made the tarte tatin once. I don't know about using coconut as an oil since I used whatever fat the recipe called for when I made it, but I don't think coconut and apples as flavors are a good match (just saying as I find sometimes a coconut flavor comes through in the oil). I'd bought a coconut milk vanilla ice cream when I made my tarte tatin and it wasn't a good match on the plate in terms of coconut flavor and apples and only one guest ate it together and he, too, thought those flavors together didn't gel at all. Just thought I'd offer that as a consideration.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:16 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thank you for your comment! I think I'll stick to the margarine then! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next