| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

I finally found the aji pepper paste after searching for the last year! I totally found it by accident, too, browing the aisles of an international grocer.

So today I finally made the Andean Aji Bean Stew. It's really really good. Even with the subs I made (garbanzo and kidney rather than garbanzo and pinto, extra white potatoes since I had no winter squash, adding in a handful of soy curls) it's awesome. I'm looking forward to eating it tomorrow since in the book Terry says it improves overnight!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:37 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

beethecookie wrote:
I finally found the aji pepper paste after searching for the last year! I totally found it by accident, too, browing the aisles of an international grocer.

So today I finally made the Andean Aji Bean Stew. It's really really good. Even with the subs I made (garbanzo and kidney rather than garbanzo and pinto, extra white potatoes since I had no winter squash, adding in a handful of soy curls) it's awesome. I'm looking forward to eating it tomorrow since in the book Terry says it improves overnight!

Now you have it, make the stew thing with fries in from Viva Vegan. I adore it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:35 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Audrey wrote:
ooh we made those gluten-free kimchi pancakes for brunch yesterday and like all the other Korean recipes in this book, we loved them! so spicy and crispy and light. I had like 3 jars of kimchi (store-bought) in the fridge, each with just about a quarter left in them, and had been saving them for this very recipe! We ate most of them just standing at the counter in the kitchen, they were so addictive. I bought white rice flour just for this recipe and now I gotta research some other uses for it.

I think the traditional recipe of kimchijeon (kimchi pancakes) doesn't call for rice flour, so you can definitely make them with plain wheat flour. (+cornstarch of course)

If you like kimchi, you should make the kimchi dumplings (mandu) soooo good!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

Efcliz wrote:
beethecookie wrote:

Now you have it, make the stew thing with fries in from Viva Vegan. I adore it.

That sounds really good! I don't have Viva Vegan yet,though! Would any fry recipe work?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:16 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I remembered the real name so I was able to find it on the internet for you here:

http://goveganmeow.blogspot.co.uk/2010/ ... n-and.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:56 am 
Nailed to the V

Thank you, Efcliz! That stir-fry looks absolutely delicious! And it'll work for the cookbook challenge too!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:01 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the gyro roasted seitan (with the lemon and olive chickpea cutlets) it was good! But didn't quite look like the picture of the book… It didn't have that dark and glazed look but oh well!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Should i drive to the store to find masa harina for tortillas, or should i do my homework?
My cat is currently sitting on my textbook, so that is one vote for tortillas.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:36 pm 
Nailed to the V

annabazoo wrote:
Should i drive to the store to find masa harina for tortillas, or should i do my homework?
My cat is currently sitting on my textbook, so that is one vote for tortillas.

Tortillas, for sure! I've used that recipe three times now and I love it.

Today I made the Lemon Garlic Potatoes and the Savory Baked Tofu. Wow, those potatoes! I'm sad now that I waited so long to try them, cuz they're awesome! The tofu, I've made a bunch of times so I already knew how yummy that was.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:54 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I ended up making them, remembering i don't actually like corn tortillas, finding a flour tortilla recipe, and making those. Now i have a two pound bag of masa harina that i don't know what to do with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

annabazoo wrote:
I ended up making them, remembering i don't actually like corn tortillas, finding a flour tortilla recipe, and making those. Now i have a two pound bag of masa harina that i don't know what to do with.

That's so much work! Were the flour tortillas good? Which recipe did you use? I would love to have a good, reliable flour tortilla recipe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The Greek pastischio (sp) with eggplant was a Christmas-dish success! And, leftovers. yum.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:58 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

emmalv wrote:
The Greek pastischio (sp) with eggplant was a Christmas-dish success! And, leftovers. yum.

I just got VEW for Christmas, and this is the first thing I plan on making. I'm glad to hear that it's really good!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:37 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made it for Christmas too, except I used meatless meatballs instead of the mushrooms cause of some mushroom haters, and it was so amazing. We couldn't stop eating it all day. It did take quite a while to make though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

LazySmurf wrote:
I made it for Christmas too, except I used meatless meatballs instead of the mushrooms cause of some mushroom haters, and it was so amazing. We couldn't stop eating it all day. It did take quite a while to make though.

For sure a weekend meal! That's a really good idea to sub a ground meat type for the mushrooms, just for a change of pace. Next time I might do that, more tomato, and no eggplant and see how it goes. I am all about the pasta's cheesy roux and that béchamel top, so the rest is just details :)

I made the fast lane kimchi and used Korean pepper paste instead of the powder, just because that's what I had on hand. It is awesomely hot but way salty - I obviously did not do a great job rinsing the cabbage. So, this means they will go into dumplings... I will report back.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah I did add some tomato sauce because it want very saucy, you are so right about the roux & the bechemel being the key!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The kimchi dumplings are keepers, and now I just want to eat everything in dumpling form. I already started another batch of dough for pierogis for New Years Eve. Pierogis and vodka - I shall ring in the new year properly, embracing my Polish roots.

Whole Foods had delicata squash, which I don't believe I've ever seen before, so I of course bought one and said "I'll figure it out later." It so happens that AFR has a recipe for delicata squash involving maple syrup and five star chinese spice, and this is soooo going to be one of the pierogi fillings....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:27 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

emmalv wrote:
The kimchi dumplings are keepers, and now I just want to eat everything in dumpling form. I already started another batch of dough for pierogis for New Years Eve. Pierogis and vodka - I shall ring in the new year properly, embracing my Polish roots.

Whole Foods had delicata squash, which I don't believe I've ever seen before, so I of course bought one and said "I'll figure it out later." It so happens that AFR has a recipe for delicata squash involving maple syrup and five star chinese spice, and this is soooo going to be one of the pierogi fillings....

There' also a squash dumpling recipe in the book, which is the Afghan ravioli with tomato sauce I think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Datura wrote:
emmalv wrote:

There' also a squash dumpling recipe in the book, which is the Afghan ravioli with tomato sauce I think.

You are correct; I "stickied" that one as a try soon. Have you made it? The flavors look so good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:34 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I started the Preserved Lemons today. Only about half of them are covered by the liquid, is that ok? When I turn the jar over, hardly any lemons are in the liquid. I'm wondering if I need to put them in a smaller jar.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:09 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I just made the grilled seitan salad thing with 5-spice seitan. It's so good! I love Terry's seitan recipes in general.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:13 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'm gearing up to make the Red-Wine Braised Leeks over White Bean Celeriac Puree tomorrow. I'll be adding seitan to the leeks because my partner insists and I'm definitely consider cutting the leeks a little smaller than described, as some of you have mentioned in this thread.

I have to add a gripe though - this book started to fall apart almost immediately after I got it and now, it's a total mess with pages falling out of it etc. I haven't even used it that heavily (as opposed to like, Veganomicon which is still perfectly intact) and it's really a bummer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:45 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Audrey wrote:
I have to add a gripe though - this book started to fall apart almost immediately after I got it and now, it's a total mess with pages falling out of it etc. I haven't even used it that heavily (as opposed to like, Veganomicon which is still perfectly intact) and it's really a bummer.

That sounds like a production error. My book is still fine and I've been using it quite a lot. If a book starts to fall apart soon after you bought it, bring it back to the place you got it from - you should be able to get it exchanged for free. (At least that's how it works in my part of the world.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:26 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Audrey wrote:
I'm gearing up to make the Red-Wine Braised Leeks over White Bean Celeriac Puree tomorrow. I'll be adding seitan to the leeks because my partner insists and I'm definitely consider cutting the leeks a little smaller than described, as some of you have mentioned in this thread.

I love those recipes, especially the puree. And re: the book, yes, I'd contact whomever you purchased it from. If you have your receipt and all that, I don't see why they wouldn't replace it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

Tonight I made the Lemon Yassa Mustard Tofu. I was so pleasantly surprised! I remember others in this thread saying it was really strong-tasting, but I found it to be perfect. I snagged more out of the baking dish even after I was finished my dinner. I'm really looking forward to the leftovers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next