| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:28 am 
Nailed to the V

The Drunken Noodles (Pad See Ew) were a big hit. The sauce is so much more restaurant-quality when you have all the different soy sauces on hand. I used fresh, refrigerated wide rice noodles for this, and even though I had issues with my noodles sticking together somewhat, it didn't affect the taste. Yum!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The red lentil curry dahl is so good - and relatively easy for this book I thought. I added in some cauliflower and okra to bulk it up, so its not quite a dahl anymore but hey. I should have made more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:32 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I made the biryani tonight. I didn't make it in testing but I had cauliflower and yoghurt to use up (as a suggested accompaniment). I was really worried that the rice would burn before the cauliflower cooked but actually it was perfect. I have a pea hater at home so I left them out but served some quick cooked greens with Indian spices alongside it instead. I made a sort of raita to serve with, along with some top quality mango chutney from the farmers market. It all worked together perfectly. I love the bit of crisp rice from the bottom of the pan. I'll definitely do this meal again.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the Deluxe Tofu Vegetable Mafe last night (added optional sweet potatoes variation) and the Red Chile Pepper Harissa as a condiment for it. SUPER GOOD. So flavorful and yum. It says only four to six servings, but I got eight generous, which is awesome. I also couldn't find asian eggplants where I shopped last week so just used a regular eggplant and it was still delicious.

There's another dish I made a while back and not sure if I mentioned it here but I still dream of it and plan to make it again soon (the only reason I haven't until now is because I have to go to Kensington Market to get the special noodles for it but for me, there would be no noodle subs here--it's largely the noodles that make it) and I can't remember the name of the specific recipe but it has shittake mushroom and greens in it and is a pretty simple noodle stirfry that calls for large, fresh wheat noodles and it's so tasty and even weeknight easy, provided you have all the ingredients. I couldn't even get the specific soy sauce it calls for so subbed regular soy sauce the time I made it and it was still divine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made the Mafé for lunches this week and I agree: super yum and makes a lot more than it says.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yes, I just had some leftover Mafe for lunch and it is so damn good. Full of complex, bold flavor and deliciousness in every bite!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the bean and farro soup with chickpea parmigiana topping a couple of days ago. I cooked the beans myself (around 1 1/3 cup of dried beans) and pre-cooked the farro in the pressure cooker so the soup would come together quickly. I makes a TON (easily 8 servings) although I must say that I didn't measure the water I just added enough to make a very thick stew.

It is not spectacular but a solid, hearty soup for cold days. The chickpea parmigiana topping is what makes this recipe interesting! Such a great idea and I'm sure I'll experiment a bit with it.

I also like to sprinkle some nooch on top of everything!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:15 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the pastichio for dinner tonight, so good! It created heaps of dirty dishes but at least I have lots of leftovers for the next few days.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:22 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I really love the chickpea parmigiana from this book. I make it to sprinkle in minestrones or when I'm having a plainish pasta that could use a boost of sumpin-sumpin'.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made masala potato soup for lunch all this week. I just had a small bowl there now and it is delicious. I have my money on it being a soup that improves over a day or two. I thought it would be a lot hotter than it is or else I am really building up a good tolerance for heat. If it wasn't gone 9pm I would totally be having a bigger bowl.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the mushroom sauerkraut soup today and it is just the right thing at the moment (I have a cold)! I opted for the potatoes in place of the parsnips and used celeriac instead of celery. I also added a bit of sugar to balance the acidity because my sauerkraut was REALLY sour.
I already ate two bowls and will soon go for another one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The tofu chipotle cemita sandwich recipe is really good deconstructed as a bowl! So filling. And I also learned that microwaved avocado is possibly the foulest thing ever. (Threw together the bowl for work, forgot to pack avocados separately, nuked whole thing at work, learnred hot avocado = blech. sad face.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:33 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Iew, just the thought of hot avocado is grossing me out. Although, someone here made deep fried guacamole, and that intrigued me. However, I have never consumed hot avocado in any form.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:32 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I haven't given this cookbook the love it deserves, so for this week's meal planning I included the Yellow Split Pea Soup with Chard and the Pistachio Date Quinoa Salad. I've read lots of good things about the salad in this thread, haven't heard much about the soup but hopefully that is good too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

dakini wrote:
I haven't given this cookbook the love it deserves, so for this week's meal planning I included the Yellow Split Pea Soup with Chard and the Pistachio Date Quinoa Salad. I've read lots of good things about the salad in this thread, haven't heard much about the soup but hopefully that is good too.

I liked it (but it wasn't all that special). I made it into a stew and used it as part of an Ethiopian spread. The salad is lovely.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:01 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made drunken noodles. They are ok. Maybe not my kind of thing really. I prefer more sauce.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:05 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

fruitbat wrote:
dakini wrote:

I liked it (but it wasn't all that special). I made it into a stew and used it as part of an Ethiopian spread. The salad is lovely.

Thank you fruitbat, I made mine more into a stew too by presoaking my yellow split peas and increasing the cooking time so they broke down and thickened. Both salad and soup were a big hit with myself and husband, I'm already flipping through VEW again to choose which recipes will go in next week's meal plan. : )

eta: My supermarket has a nicely stocked world foods aisle, but there was no sumac powder to be found for the salad. I decided to improvise with Kebsa, a spice blend of sumac, cinnamon, and black pepper. It worked nicely in the salad- I stirred it into the dressing. Also, I left out the onion because I don't dig raw onion in salads. Anyway, really really good!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:11 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I have to rave about the Pumpkin and Black Bean Posole. It was very quick and easy to make, except for the pealing of the pumpkin, which is always a bother. I was a little worried that the ingredients were too simple and it wouldn't have enough flavor. I was so wrong. The flavors of all the ingredients mingled sumptuously in the broth. The garnishes are fun, but it's really delicious even without them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:38 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the avogolemeno and DANG it was delicious. It is the perfect comforting soup. It was a lot like the real deal but also reminded me of chicken and stars. I think next time I might add some soy curl crumbles to get some chicken-y bits but it was perfect as is.

I also made the Pad Thai a few weeks ago, I have made probably 30 different Pad Thai recipes at home and this, to me, was the best one I've ever made. I think the combination of of herbs plus making it one portion at a time made a big difference. Wow.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

I made my first recipe: Jamaican Curry Seitan Patties. Made the seitan yesterday (first time I've baked seitan and it was a nice change from steaming or simmering). Did the rest today. Oh my god. They were delicious. I could have eaten the whole batch. Ha. It felt like kind of a lot of work, but it was worth it. I must not have filled them quite enough because I have a lot of leftover filling, but I might just tuck that into the extra corn tortillas I have in the fridge.

Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37