| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:35 am 
WELFARIST!

Shukriyya wrote:
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Has anyone else had problems with their rice staying hard in this recipe?

I made that recipe a while ago and I had the same issue. It took a lot longer for the rice to get soft and I eventually got impatient and stirred, so no bottom crust for me.

I've never tried this particular recipe but there's one casserole dish I use where I notice rice tends not to soften. I think it's because of the nature of the casserole dish (it's actually kind of a pricey one) and it's so thick and "well constructed" as a piece of corning ware or whatnot that it takes FOREVAH to actually heat and hence, whenever I cook rice in it, it never cooks completely and I have to bake twice as long. Not sure if that's the case with you guys but for my hard rice situations, I've made the common connection that I keep cooking those problematic casseroles in my same fancyass dish that's nice looking but is not gathering the required heat in the timing the recipe directs so things go overlong. Maybe it's sort of like a cast iron thing where it has to be brought to temp first before putting in the casserole fixins, I've been thinking...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:32 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Can someone PM me the recipe for the kimchi pancakes? I didn't realize they would be a perfect addition to my menu for the week, but I left my book at home and am going grocery shopping directly after work.

Thanks in advance!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the adobo with eggplant and potatoes and tofu last night. I really liked it! I was kind of weirded out at the idea of putting banana on top, but it totally worked!

Sorry AP, I am at work and I don't have my cookbook with me. :(

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:44 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

allularpunk wrote:
Can someone PM me the recipe for the kimchi pancakes? I didn't realize they would be a perfect addition to my menu for the week, but I left my book at home and am going grocery shopping directly after work.

Thanks in advance!

Hey I sent you a PM with the recipe! Hopefully it's not too late.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Made the masala potato soup last night. I thought it was just okay but my husband loved it!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:44 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I just ordered a hardcover copy. Any book with a simple recipe for carrot halvah belongs in my home.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Whole Cashew Curry to take to a Curry Lunch on the weekend, it was delicious, it went down well with everyone else at the lunch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:37 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm having a lot of trouble with this one. Maybe it's because of the lack of pictures (I hate to say that) and/or that most of the dishes are things I've never heard of, but thumbing through, I'm having a hard time finding anything I want to make. Everything that's caught my eye seems to call for an ingredient I don't know where/how to find.

I'm going to use the posts that are already on this thread for a guide, but out of curiosity, what is the first thing you saw in there that you saw and HAD to make?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The first thing I made was the pho and it was the best vegan pho I've ever had. I just made the avocado mango salad and it was super easy and didn't require any hard to find ingredients and was perfect for summer. Same with the black bean soup.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:55 pm 

Thanks! I'll look it up. I want pho!

So bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:48 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Some pantry-friendly recipes I really enjoyed:

- Chorizo Tempeh Crumbles (p. 52)
- Chinese Tempeh Crumbles (p. 53; if you have 5-spice powder; I always leave out the Chinese wine)
- The Great Big Vegetable Couscous (p. 134)
- Coconut Black-Eyed Pea Curry (p. 139)
- Flying Massaman Curry (p. 141; if you have 5-spice powder)
- Eggplant Shakshuka with Green Tahini Sauce (p. 153)
- Yogurt Naan Griddle Bread (p. 194)
- Classic Sesame Noodles with Marinated Cucumbers (p. 237)
- Golden Tandoori Tofu (p. 268)

There are some tips on where to find ingredients in the first chapter. Don't be afraid to substitute stuff - the dishes will still taste great! Some recipes contain substitution suggestions and you can look things up on foodsubs.com if none are mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:29 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

What is unfamiliar or hard to find is very subjective of course, but the Lebanese moussaka stew is probably one of my most frequently made recipes from this book. I do live where pomegranate molasses is easily found both at the local supermarket and the neighbourhood Lebanese shop, though. I second Shukriyya's suggestions except for the tempeh recipes (both because I don't like tempeh and because I can't find it here). The Yassa Lemon Mustard Tofu and the Island Brown Rice and Peas (I use black-eyed peas) are also very good and don't call for anything hard to find. I love and will try any recipe for mafe (West African peanut stew) and Greek lemon-garlic potatoes and the ones in VEW are both very tasty.

I do have to complain about the shoddy binding though. Mine has completely fallen apart!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:38 am 

Thanks guys! I'm determined to make some stuff out of that book.

I really only have the basic supermarkets around here. No Whole Foods. There are two very small, overpriced health food stores where I can get the basic vegan junk food and other essentials (Tofutti, Earth Balance, Vegenaise, Daiya), but not much else.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:54 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Hollie, I know, this cookbook can be intimidating in terms of specialty ingredients. My "must try firsts" were the curries, but a lot of those call for really specific authentic ingredients if I remember correctly. However, other recipes that spring to mind as pretty awesome and pbly a bit more pantry friendly:

-the coconut caribbean rice with the jerk seitan (I used jackfruit instead of seitan once and it was good, but soy curls or tofu would be awesome too I'm sure - not sure if you are into seitan or not)
-panzanella salad
-skordalia with the eggplant she references as an accompaniment
-scrambled chickpeas
-naan
-another vote for the chinese 5 spice tempeh

And all but the chickpeas were hits with the picky omni husband, in case it matters (and only because he didn't try the chickpeas)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:59 pm 

Ooh. Thanks! Tonight I'm going to find a recipe and make a grocery list and make it when I get home tomorrow.

(I'd do it tonight, but I don't have my book with me)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I really love this book. I made the Massaman curry on Sunday night for the first time in a looooong while. God it is SO GOOD. Great leftovers. Pantry friendly (I dry fry the tofu and put that in, no need to buy fried or bake anything)

I want to make the Moussaka stew again when eggplants go on sale at my local store, that's another pantry friendly staple (if you can get pomegranate molasses)

The pho is fantastic. Really REALLY good broth. And super easy to make too. I always make it with canned mock duck as the protein if I don't have any seitan. I fry it up in sirracha and agave. Soy curls are good too. Or just lots and lots of veggies and tofu.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:21 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I get kinda mad whenever I look through this book because it's in absolute pieces and thus difficult to browse BUT I gotta say, you can't go wrong with any of the Korean recipes. Holy ridiculous good. We make the bulgogi probably twice a month, just using seitan and shittake mushrooms + brown rice in the lettuce wraps. Love love love the kimchi recipe - it's better than any storebought I've had, and you can get a big bag of the gochujang on like amazon for cheap. Sounds like I gotta try that mussaman curry too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:29 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I know, thank goodness my book is a hard cover version otherwise i'm sure it'd be in ribbons. And the recent revival of this thread has me eyeing recipes again... That kimchi totally IS so good. I love love love it too. Two other surprising ones for me were the preserved lemons - I had never even heard of such a thing before but now I always keep some in the freezer - and the anise-spiked pickled vegetables. So incredible on banh mi sandwiches. I need to make those again stat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:52 pm 

I did bring my book, and I wrote down all the suggestions! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:58 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Audrey wrote:
I get kinda mad whenever I look through this book because it's in absolute pieces and thus difficult to browse BUT I gotta say, you can't go wrong with any of the Korean recipes. Holy ridiculous good. We make the bulgogi probably twice a month, just using seitan and shittake mushrooms + brown rice in the lettuce wraps. Love love love the kimchi recipe - it's better than any storebought I've had, and you can get a big bag of the gochujang on like amazon for cheap. Sounds like I gotta try that mussaman curry too.

Can you post the link for the gochujang? For some reason I can't find any that doesn't have fish and corn syrup (I can only find the paste).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:11 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

hmm oops I meant gochugaru (the chili flakes) for making kimchi. I bought gochugang at a store, and it does have corn syrup in it but it was a choice between that and fishy ones ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

Audrey wrote:
I get kinda mad whenever I look through this book because it's in absolute pieces and thus difficult to browse

My copy is in pieces too! I'm glad it's not just me. The whole book started falling apart soon after I got it and now it has pages trying to escape all over the place. That's probably the reason I don't use this book very much, even though I love pretty much everything I've tried!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

fruitbat wrote:
I do have to complain about the shoddy binding though. Mine has completely fallen apart!

YES!!! i made this complaint several pages back and it seemed like i was the only one! my whole book fell apart :-(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Hollie wrote:
I'm having a lot of trouble with this one. Maybe it's because of the lack of pictures (I hate to say that) and/or that most of the dishes are things I've never heard of, but thumbing through, I'm having a hard time finding anything I want to make. Everything that's caught my eye seems to call for an ingredient I don't know where/how to find.

I'm going to use the posts that are already on this thread for a guide, but out of curiosity, what is the first thing you saw in there that you saw and HAD to make?

ive found this book difficult due to the use of a lot of exotic ingredients and the lack of a good index but some of my FAVORITE things are the tofu bahn mi sandwich (i think she calls it breakfast bahn mi or something) i make it for dinner and its SO good. the daikon pickles go really well on it and are super easy to make if you can find some daikon. i actually found it at a regular grocery store.

there are several salads i like to. i dont have the book in front of me for the actual names but the roasted beet salad with dill vinagrette is really good, the mango and millet salad and i think my favorite has avocado and mango (might be called avocado mango salad????)

i second the recommendation of the flying massaman curry. i think thats the only curry ive made from the book because it is more pantry friendly.

their is a Sri Lankan recipe (curry?) that's good too but it has some of the unusual ingredients like curry leaves in it. it also calls for pandan leave but i cant find them and just leave them out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:44 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

emmalv wrote:
I know, thank goodness my book is a hard cover version otherwise i'm sure it'd be in ribbons.

Oh, mine is the hard cover. It's in worse shape than my Vegan with a Vengeance (which is softcover and much older)...

Gochugaru and pandan leaves are two ingredients I'm sad I can't find anywhere. I can find gochujang though so in sauces I can substitute. I've seen tinned pandan extract in a Thai shop... I wonder if I could use that somehow? Not sure how to store the leftovers though.

The mango, avocado, and cashew salad is lovely. Sadly, avocado is another ingredient I have trouble with currently. Super expensive avocados and not very good ones either. Not sure what's up with that, but it's been like that all year. Also there seem to be some kind of quinoa shortage? All the shops here have been out of quinoa and spelt flour for ages now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next