| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:26 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Sorry to hear that your books are falling apart - that's really a bummer! Mine still looks pretty good, although I did notice yesterday that some pages in the most-used section of the book might get loose sooner or later.

I've been wanting to make the bahn mi for ages, because y'all keep recommending it! I really should get on that. I hope I can find some daikon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:49 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Shukriyya wrote:
Sorry to hear that your books are falling apart - that's really a bummer! Mine still looks pretty good, although I did notice yesterday that some pages in the most-used section of the book might get loose sooner or later.

Mine's still in good shape too but hearing that makes me wish I'd gotten an ebook for my kindle instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Pages fell out of mine pretty quick. I thought about buying the paperback version & honestly I would have if they would have added a freaking index!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, that sucks about everyone's cookbook falling apart, I'm sorry to hear that.

Has anyone made the stuffed cabbage rolls with sunflower tomato cream sauce? I'm off this week so want to tackle that and some pierogis. I have never made stuffed cabbage before and have a technical question. In the recipe preface she says "blanching the cabbage leaves is essential...use a long handled fork and take your time. or if you do have the time, wrap the cabbage in plastic wrap and freeze overnight. then move the cabbage to the refrigerator to thaw: as the cabbage warms up, you'll be be able to peel off the softened leaves."

So do you guys also interpret that you can either blanch or freeze and thaw? The latter sounds easier to me if that's the case.

ETA: can you freeze cabbage rolls or is the defrosted result nasty?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:28 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Yup, sounds to me like you can either blanch or freeze and thaw.

Things I made this week:

- Sizzling Pho Noodle Soup: I used baked tofu instead of seitan. Straining soups breaks my heart, so I didn't do it. Instead I cut back on cooking time a bit and used grinded spices. It was really good!
- Pastichio: I made the version without the eggplant, as I didn't have any, but I added some baby spinach to the sauce. I subbed some soy cream for the cashews. It was heavenly! I'm really looking forward to eating the leftovers today.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:35 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, that pastistico's fantastic. I have yet to make the pho but SO many good reviews, I must try it soon.

I keep meaning to hit my fave Asian grocer in Kensington to stock up on those thick wheat noodles to make the shittake and greens stirfry that's perfect for quick weeknight cooking. I'll also make the savory baked tofu (might not be the proper name but it's recommended in the recipe intro) to go in. So super good.

My fave recipe from this book is still the Seitan Bo Bun (I think, something like that) noodle salad. It's quite an involved salad to make, takes a few steps (especially if you haven't made the seitan ahead of time) but it's soooo friggin good. Man, I have to make it again at least once before the summer is out!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks! I think I was just thrown off by the tone that made it sound like blanching was way easier or something so I figured I was missing something, as doing practically nothing (put in freezer, take out of freezer) sounds way easier to me.

That pastichio is.so.good. I think I just want to make that topping by itself, bake it, and eat it. By itself. The whole thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:11 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Do you think it's possible to cook the coriander seitan cutlets in the slow cooker? I know they're supposed to be wrapped in foil, and they can be steamed, but I wonder if it would work. Any suggestions or tips?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:30 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I still haven't made anything from it. I have failed in my mission.

...BUT I have my eye on the pierogies. There's a big pierogi fest coming up where I live, and it will be nice to be able to actually have some that aren't sopped in butter with who-knows-what in the dough!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hollie wrote:
I still haven't made anything from it. I have failed in my mission.

...BUT I have my eye on the pierogies. There's a big pierogi fest coming up where I live, and it will be nice to be able to actually have some that aren't sopped in butter with who-knows-what in the dough!

Do eet! I am from Chicago (and Polish) and went I first went vegan I thought pierogis were going to be one of those things that were just going to be have to experienced in memory only (why I don't know - its so easy to make with no animal products) and everyone loves loves loves when I make these. What kind of fillings are you thinking?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:01 am 

I'll probably just follow the recipe on the first time through, then depending on how that goes, try and get creative. I have dreams of making some kinda cashew cheese potato ones...

I hadn't had pierogies EVER before I moved to Chicago. Can you believe that?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:44 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

For some reason I've been hankering to try some African food. Tonight I made the Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Cakes and the Mango and Peanut Millet Salad.

I highly recommend both dishes! They also pair so well together. There's such a nice contrast in temperature and texture.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hollie wrote:
I'll probably just follow the recipe on the first time through, then depending on how that goes, try and get creative. I have dreams of making some kinda cashew cheese potato ones...

I hadn't had pierogies EVER before I moved to Chicago. Can you believe that?

I can believe it - no one out here knows what I'm talking about when I mention eastern European food. Or giardinera (however its spelled). I realize now its just something I always assumed everyone knew about, but not so much.

Potato and cheese works really well. I added some melty sharp cheddar from AVC in a past batch, and it was pbly may fave version. This go around I made the luscious white bean celeriac root puree and subbed fresh dill for the thyme. I liked it; I'm dropping some off for my parents later, so I'm curious what they'll think.

The stuffed cabbage rolls with sunflower cream sauce: the filling was awesome. The sauce was just ok. On future attempts I will pbly add a little cayenne and paprika, but to its credit I do think it is fairly close to how I remember my mom's sauce in that its not too acidic or tomato-y.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:22 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Victoire wrote:
For some reason I've been hankering to try some African food. Tonight I made the Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Cakes and the Mango and Peanut Millet Salad.

I highly recommend both dishes! They also pair so well together. There's such a nice contrast in temperature and texture.

I really love that millet salad. But I always want something else to go with it. Next time, I will do the black eye pea cakes! Bet they are booth good room temperature for lunch leftovers too. Thx for the idea :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:06 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made five spice seitan a few days ago planning to use it in a Chinese stir fry. Several days of nibbling later I had just enough left to replace the ch@ck@n in an old pre-veg favorite, Ch@ck@n with orange peel and walnuts. The seasoning added a gentle extra note to the dish which was useful because I left out the chili peppers. The seitan was a bit dense so next time I make it I'll try kneading it and steaming it for more time.

A good way to start using this cookbook.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:19 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I made the Coriander Seitan cutlets to use in an upcoming recipe or two. They were very easy!

I confess, when I first got this book it really intimidated me. I'd only made a handful of recipes from here very sporadically (the pad thai, marinated cucumbers, chai tea poached pears, and the filo samosas).

I'm determined to really break it in this summer and make a variety of recipes.

I was thinking of using the seitan coriander cutlets for gyros. Has anyone made these before?

I also really want to make the paella, but I'm concerned that I don't have a big enough pan. Has anyone halved the recipe?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:25 pm 

Tink tink tink... I would like to announce that I finally made something from this book!

I basically chose something that didn't require that I bought anything special -- I had all* the ingredients already (which for this book was quite a feat). I made the Lemon Rice Soup for dinner and it was delicious.

*Okay, I didn't have them "all." I didn't have arborio rice. But neither did my local supermarket, so I used basmati, which I did already have.

Next up: PIEROGIES OR DEATH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:14 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

The lemon rice soup sounds tasty.

I recently made the shredded mango salad. YES!!! I love it. Now, too, I have a use for mangoes that I'm not patient enough to let ripen. Ha. I happened to find a shredding peeler at Goodwill for about sixty cents. I would think a regular grater would have been sufficient but the grating peeler really is a nifty little thing.

The savory baked tofu will probably go into regular rotation, despite the totally filthy pan it creates. Maybe I'll have to try lining it with parchment paper or foil?

I've made the garlic chive potstickers several times. SO SO good. . . and nice to have in the freezer to make a quickie meal.

The scrambled tofu breakfast bahn mi is really good. I made it yesterday, had leftovers this morning. Yum. I made the daikon pickles to go with it, but. . . They're good, but I think I'm allergic to star anise so I didn't use any. Instead I put in some fennel seeds, but I'm not sure that was the best choice. Does anyone know what a good sub would be? They'd probably still be great anyway, but yeah, any ideas would be good. I know it's a pretty unique flavor.

I made the peanut, mango and millet salad for a family gettogether and got a lot of compliments.

The jackfruit tacos are awesome. I'll have to make them again. The pickled red onions were a nice addition, as was the pepita cream that she suggests you serve it with as well. Sil pak? Something like that. I don't have the book in front of me. The corn tortillas were good too. Well, they tasted good. I need more practice making them before they stop looking so shameful and ragged. Heh. They did their job of delivering food to my mouth while tasting good, though.

The coconut rotis are so easy and so delicious. I keep meaning to make them again as well, even just to snack on. They really were buttery. It was amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:21 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Victoire wrote:
I was thinking of using the seitan coriander cutlets for gyros. Has anyone made these before?

Do it!! I made the seitan gyro roll ups twice in a row they were so good. . . and I'm the only one in the house eating them! I would have made them a third time in a row but had to stop myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:11 pm 

I made the pierogies! They're really good, but I had way more filling than I had dough, so I'm making up a second batch tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:26 pm 

Pierogi update - Jeez louise, I have SO MUCH FILLING left still. I still have about 1/4th of the dough left from batch #2, and I'm thinking I may need to go buy more flour to make a third batch.

It would probably be awesome to have a freezer full of pierogi to bring to work when I don't have other leftovers to bring. I could even leave a bag there. This pierogi project is getting REAL.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hollie wrote:
Pierogi update - Jeez louise, I have SO MUCH FILLING left still. I still have about 1/4th of the dough left from batch #2, and I'm thinking I may need to go buy more flour to make a third batch.

It would probably be awesome to have a freezer full of pierogi to bring to work when I don't have other leftovers to bring. I could even leave a bag there. This pierogi project is getting REAL.

That sounds amazing. I am jealous of pierogies. I haven't made this recipe, but I made the ones in vegan brunch and I hand to hold myself back from eating the filling straight up. If you're tired of making more pierogies you could just eat it over pasta, rice, in a wrap, or straight up. Yum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:04 pm 

I used a bunch of it to make potato enchiladas (SO GOOD). There's still a decent amount left, though.

The recipe called for 2lbs potatoes -- They came in bags of 3lbs, and I just eyeballed it. I guess I'm a bad eyeballer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:31 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I made the seitan coriander cutlets with seitan-curious friends today! I'm not sure what was up with my gluten, cause they tasted a little off (stale?). But I've never noticed that before and I was being extra critical tasting something from the mock point of view as an omni who is completely unfamiliar with seitan's eyes. We also made the chorizo sausages from VV so I guess I am a fan of Terry seitan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:42 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

cherry666 wrote:
Victoire wrote:

Do it!! I made the seitan gyro roll ups twice in a row they were so good. . . and I'm the only one in the house eating them! I would have made them a third time in a row but had to stop myself.

I'm definitely making them this week!

Last night I made the panzanella for a potluck. WOW! It was delicious. I doubled the dressing ingredients and tomatoes and added some cucumbers and basil. I love the lemony garlicky croutons! Next time I definitely need leave the bread out overnight. I didn't plan ahead so I just toasted the bread twice. It was delicious when I first combined them and served it, but after sitting for even just an hour, the bread was mostly pretty soggy.

I also want to make the Yassa (with seitan) and the Jollof Brown Rice for my book club dinner (we read Purple Hibiscus, which takes place in Nigeria).

Unfortunately, both are supposed to be cooked in the oven and I only have one tiny oven in my apartment. Do you think I can make the Yassa the night before and re-heat it quickly just after the rice finishes? Or just make the rice on the stove?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next