| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm not able to download the pdf index that was made to supplement the cookbook. Help? Could someone send it to me? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:09 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

alixmanon wrote:
I'm not able to download the pdf index that was made to supplement the cookbook. Help? Could someone send it to me? Thanks!

Yup - send me your e-mail address in a PM, and I'll send it to you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:49 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I've made some more VEW goodies recently :)

Gyro Roll Ups - I LOVE the seitan. It was super garlicky. In general, this recipe was delicious and simple, but I didn't enjoy the yogurt sauce. Any time I've made yogurt sauces they always come out way too sweet. Which brands make a non-dairy plain, unsweetened yogurt that's good for savory sauces?

Yassa Lemon Mustard Seitan & Jollof Rice- Both were amazing! My book club loved the meal. I cooked the rice in a large cast iron dutch oven instead of on baking dishes because that's what I have and what will fit in my oven! It was perfect. The rice did need a little extra liquid and time, but it still came out great. As soon as the rice was done, I popped in the seitan and 30 minutes later we were eating! I love the Yassa sauce. This was a super comforting meal.

Muhamarra- I made this on a whim when a friend came over with a bottle of wine (I've been looking for ways to use the pomegranate molasses I bought ages ago for the fatoosh salad with the kale and sweet potatoes). It was just a touch too sweet for my taste, though everyone else who tried it didn't complain. Next time I'll leave out the agave. It seemed quite thin to me when I first made it, but the dip thickened up over time. This recipe is a keeper!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:19 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I caved and bought the paperback to replace my totally fallen-apart hardcover because I really want to be able to browse and use this book more! I want to make the tempeh katsu next I think.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:44 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Tonight I'm making the Crunchy Edamame Gyoza. Any tips or warnings? I'm excited because they sound amazing and I've never made my own potstickers before. Should be interesting!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:23 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made the Ethiopian Flourless Chocolate Torte today. It tastes really good, but I'm wondering if it overbaked. I took it out of the oven a minute early but the cake is super dense. I think I was expecting almost more of a light, soufflé-like texture and it's not like that at all. It's more like a dry brownie. Has anyone else made this cake? Is that just the way this cake is?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:37 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I made the Gyoza! Amazingly delicious! I had to freeze half of them though, because it was way too much for the three people I was serving.

I also made the Sesame Noodles with Marinated Cucumbers. So delicious! I make sesame peanut noodles without a recipe on the regular, but this recipe is incredibly delicious. I used a pound of soba noodles, and it made way more than I thought it would! The recipe says it should serve 3 to 4 people? This gave the three of us generous servings and I still filled two large containers to put in the fridge.

I'm definitely not complaining. I'll be enjoying these leftovers for the whole week!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:36 am 
BAD PASS

I wanna make the Gyoza soon. I believe it's the same dough recipe as the pierogies, right?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:20 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I want to make the Tofu Hijiki Burgers tonight, but I want to save most of the burgers for later. Has anyone had success freezing them?

A couple of years ago I ate at Dojo, the inspiration for the recipe, so I'm excited to see if this tastes like my memory!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I decided to drag this book out to make a couple of things to go with the tempeh bacon, mashed potatoes with chickpea gravy, and kale with tahini sauce I made for my husband's birthday.

The artichoke spinach dip is pretty good, but "best ever" would not describe that mac and cheese. It's pretty boring. It needs some miso and mustard and waaaay more lemon juice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:31 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Did you post this in the right thread? I don't see either of those recipes in VEW.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:39 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Efcliz wrote:
Did you post this in the right thread? I don't see either of those recipes in VEW.

Ha, yeah, I was like, how did I miss the mac and cheese???

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:41 am 
WELFARIST!

lobsteriffic wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

Ha, yeah, I was like, how did I miss the mac and cheese???

I was thinking the same thing!

In other news, I'll be making the chickpea parmigiana later this week from this book to use as cheesy sprinkles on top of my Italian rice and beans dish.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:44 pm 
Naked Under Apron

oh man I finally found some pad see ew noodles! I've been wanting to make the dishes from this book that use this type of noodle forever, I even have the various soy sauces already. Yippee!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:46 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the massaman curry last night, except I used "wowbutter" (made with soy) instead of PB because my husband is allergic to nuts and sunflower seeds. We liked it a lot, with the exception of the cherry tomatoes, which I know other folks have said in this thread. I should have listened to wise PPKers and omitted them.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am finally starting to use this book a lot more. I have an Indian coworker who promised to hook me up with curry leaves anytime I want (she will bring me my own plant eventually), and I also have a pandan leaves plant!

I made the yellow split pea dahl on Saturday and it was delicious. And the Sauerkraut soup last night! I did throw some small pasta in that one, because my husband needs either rice or pasta in his soup, and it worked out really well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:17 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the Tempeh Katsu last night with some fresh homemade tempeh. I actually had it over salad, and then sort of tossed the whole thing with the sauce as dressing. Serious yums. That's one I'll be returning to again and again!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The almond and sesame tangine! Delicious! I served it aside the fluffy couscous (the variation with mint, pistachios, and preserved lemons). So good. The variety of flavors just worked so well together.

I cooked through a lot of this cookbook but am challenging myself to get through the recipes I haven't made yet, and this was a good start. Seems like I have to tackle the soups and the bread/dumpling sections a bit more...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:10 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Emmalv, there are some really good soups in this book. My favorites so far have been the French Farmhouse Asparagus Bisque, Like an Egyptian Lentil Soup, and Smoky Shci with Seitan and Cabbage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

can someone help me out with the preserved lemons?
ive never had preserved lemons but i wanted to try making them. i did the longer "slow" recipe. i feel like the recipe isnt very detailed.

i put them in my basement behind the bar for 2 weeks and shook them every now and then and then trasnferred them to my fridge. i think it's been a total of 3 weeks. tonight i wanted to make the kale, pomegranate, & preserved lemon salad but i dont think my preserved lemons were anywhere near ready.
the recipe says to put them into the fridge after two weeks and keep shaking them every now and then and then it tells you how to use them. THEN it says something about after 3 months they will start to look slimy or something. was i supposed to wait 3 months? was that just an FYI?

i diced up a chunk and it tasted to me what i think a lemon rind would taste like raw (ie not good)
i still tried to make the salad. it was all very salty to me. my husband said he thought it was overly lemony. i thought it was overly salty. it was too much something i guess.
no idea what preserved lemons are supposed to taste like

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

Just made the Italian Cashew Cheesecake. It was great. Omni husband loved it. I made it into four small cheesecakes with mini springform pans. Put everything in the blender and mixed it up. So simple to make. Topped it with a raspberry coulis that I threw together. I would make this again. Seemed less labor intensive as some other cheesecakes (those with the crusts/American versions) I have made.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:28 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Emmalv, there are some really good soups in this book. My favorites so far have been the French Farmhouse Asparagus Bisque, Like an Egyptian Lentil Soup, and Smoky Shci with Seitan and Cabbage.

Oh, I love love that smoky shci soup. The asparagus bisque (ha, I keep reading it in my head as the filtered bisque) has always scared me. Something about asparagus as a soup. But if its one of your faves I won't discount it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

I was at an international grocery store this weekend and thought of this book, so tried to remember the million soy sauces the Thai noodle dishes call for. I ended up getting the thin soy sauce (dingdingding) and a mushroom flavored soy sauce (not in any recipes that I see). Totally spaced on the golden mountain and sweet sauces, and didn't see anything called vegetarian stir fry sauce. I did get pandas leaves though. I guess I'm just never going to have all of the ingredients for anything at once and should just make do with what I have!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think i got the golden mountain soy sauce from amazon since i cant find any of that stuff around here.
i need to go to a bigger city and find an Asian market. we have a couple Indian markets around here but they dont have everything i need from this book (did find curry leaves there though!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:08 am 
BAD PASS

I'm trying to start cooking from this book more. I realized the reason I hadn't been was because I don't know what most of the dishes are. So instead of just thumbing past them, I should probably google it and learn something. Right? Right.

I made the black bean soup with roasted poblanos on Saturday, and it's really good. The only thing is, it ended up being one of those nights I ate dinner at 9:45 because the beans too forever to cook. Even after soaking all day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next