| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: True To Your Roots by Carla Kelly
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:40 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

This is shipping right now. I got my copy and while it is pretty - It wasn't what I thought it would be at all.
I'm returning it.

(there was nothing wrong with the recipes, they all look intriguing, and if you really wanted to experience root vegetable cooking in unique ways, then maybe this would be for you). I'm not sure specifically what I was expecting - but I know it wasn't hitting what I wanted.

Post subject: Re: True To Your Roots by Carla Kelly
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:44 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Can you be more specific? What kind of unique ways?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:55 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just ordered this: it came with a great recommendations from a tester I trust, and I love Carla's Al Fresco book. I have high hopes but I think I will love it, especially through the winter when the only vegetables I seem to have are roots.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:19 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I tested for this and I really liked it. I live with someone who hates about half of root vegetables and only puts up with most of the others, but even he found things he loved. It'll definitely be a good book for winter. Some of the recipes are sort of 'sneak them in' type dishes - like using them blended into pasta sauces or even desserts but others showcase them. A couple of my favourite things sadly didn't make the book but I've made the beer brats twice even since testing (they have pureed swede/rutabaga in) and they are delicious and I think it worth it alone for the price of the book. I'll have a look what else I loved when I have it with me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:34 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

LFL wrote:
Can you be more specific? What kind of unique ways?

there was this cheesecake that looked really interesting for sure :) and there were parsnip and spinach patties - some juicing recipes, etc. (i have the book already packaged up to go back so i can't pull it up and really delve in).

i have all of Carla's books so I know the recipes would probably be amazing in the book, and like i mentioned - it's really hard to articulate why the book didn't sit well with me. and I know this isn't helpful. Hopefully, others can go into more detail what's amazing with the book, and everyone can make me feel really dumb ;) and I can go get it again. :)