| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cookbooks you wish someone would write
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:38 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm a busy vegan mom with two daughters (ages 9 & 10). While they love to help me cook in the kitchen, they've discovered - through a school book fair - cookbooks for kids. They love looking through these cookbooks, and often want to make the recipes themselves. However, they are not vegan and when I tell them we can't make the recipe without changes the fun, for them, is pretty much taken away. They want their own cookbooks, where they can choose their own recipes, and pretty much do their own thing in the kitchen. I would love it if someone would write a kid's cookbook, complete with fabulous pictures, that would help vegan kids take ownership in the kitchen! Does anyone feel the same as I do? Are there any vegan cookbooks you wish someone would write for you?

Post subject: Re: Cookbooks you wish someone would write
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:44 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Yeah I think there is a lack of vegan cookbooks for kids, I have only seen one kids vegan cookbook, but I don't know what it is like: http://www.americanvegan.org/ABC/ABC.html . There is definitely a niche to be filled.

ETA: I forgot about this one (again, I haven't tried it myself) http://veganpublishers.com/multimedia-a ... -for-kids/

"You're not a real vegan unless there's spirulina in your cookies"- Moon

Twitter: @veganblueberry
Blog: http://blueberryblossoms.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

West African. My boyfriend is from there and loves food from his homeland. Now I'm just going to have to go veganize things myself until one day someone comes up with that book.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Vegan cookbooks for different cuisines. I'd love a French vegan cookbook. A Middle Eastern vegan cookbook. A Tibetan or Nepalese vegan cookbook.

Theme cookbooks. Years ago I had a cookbook for nothing but muffins and another that was just brownies. Vegan versions of those would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:27 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

World breads and pastry, not gluten-free. It's not because bread recipes are generally easy to veganize that I wouldn't like a nice, comprehensive book about them.

Also a book on Korean cuisine.

There's a similar thread here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:46 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I would love an athlete-focused book with weekly meal plans and a portion of make-ahead meals, that's not composed 100% of expensive superfoods. I know I can (and do, to an extent) do this myself, but if a person is already struggling to fit in work, cooking, working out, and all the other stuff they do, a ready-made resource would be excellent. Would be even excellent-er if salient nutrition were included (like ratios of protein:carbs:fat, tc.).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:03 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

LFL wrote:
Vegan cookbooks for different cuisines. I'd love a French vegan cookbook. A Middle Eastern vegan cookbook. A Tibetan or Nepalese vegan cookbook.

Theme cookbooks. Years ago I had a cookbook for nothing but muffins and another that was just brownies. Vegan versions of those would be great.

International cookbooks are a bit lacking, but I am hoping that cookbook authors will recognise that there's a niche. There are Linda Majzlik's "Vegan Taste of" books about international cuisines but I am not sure what they are like http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... taste%20of

There is a vegan muffin book, http://www.amazon.co.uk/150-Best-Vegan- ... an+muffins not sure about brownies though.

"You're not a real vegan unless there's spirulina in your cookies"- Moon

Twitter: @veganblueberry
Blog: http://blueberryblossoms.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:06 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks Blueberry! I've heard mixed things about the Linda Majzlik books so I'm a little hesitant to try them. I was unaware of the muffin book, though, so thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:36 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

A cookbook for people with depression, it should have recipes that are easy for people when they have trouble even getting out of bed. I suppose I have time to do a blog for it now, but I am not very creative when coming up with new recipes, so it would just be an anthology of recipes I find.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:50 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Shy Mox wrote:
A cookbook for people with depression, it should have recipes that are easy for people when they have trouble even getting out of bed. I suppose I have time to do a blog for it now, but I am not very creative when coming up with new recipes, so it would just be an anthology of recipes I find.

Like Vegan Stoner? Or easier even?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:24 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Shy Mox wrote:

I really like this.

For the longest time, my wish was a vegan casseroles cookbook, but now there is one and I love it, so that wish came true.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:26 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

Like Vegan Stoner? Or easier even?

Sort of, although sometimes Vegan Stoner is too much effort XD Like what I would do is post a recipe, but also have a "zero energy" alternative. Like the chickpea salad sammiches Isa has on the PPK site: It's pretty easy, but sometimes I have zero energy for chopping so I'd alternatively leave out the celery and carrot. I envision it would be more about trying to eat as healthy as you can when you're feeling unwell and can't muster up the effort for cooking, and have sections on self care.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:33 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I would like Appetite for Reduction 2.0. I love cooking, but I try to keep our dinners pretty lowcal. I've made almost every recipe in AFR, usually many times over. The recipes are easy, but not too simple, full of flavor, and healthy. I want more recipes like this!

I've tried a few other "healthy" books, but the recipes have ended up being so plain and bland most of the time

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:45 am 
WELFARIST!

ameyfm wrote:
I would like Appetite for Reduction 2.0. I love cooking, but I try to keep our dinners pretty lowcal. I've made almost every recipe in AFR, usually many times over. The recipes are easy, but not too simple, full of flavor, and healthy. I want more recipes like this!

I've tried a few other "healthy" books, but the recipes have ended up being so plain and bland most of the time

Yes! This!

AFR is by FAR by most used cookbook!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

I like that AFR is pretty healthy but not too hippy-ish. Not that I'm not down with being a hippy, but even OSG is a little too granola for me sometimes. I'd be down for an AFR 2.0 too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Shy Mox wrote:

This!!!!! Totally a niche in the market for it. I actually do a session on this at work. We sit around and discuss meal ideas for when life sucks but you still need to eat periods of life. Saying that, anything I've made from Let Them Eat Vegan has been relatively quick to make especially if you are using tinned beans rather than dried.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

i also agree with AFR 2.0. With lots of pastas!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:02 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'd really like a vegan butchery book. Like, "here is every mockmeat that has ever been made throughout history". If I had the time lack of laziness, I would write one. Protose is just amazing. Nut luncheon is dreamy. I basically would eat mock duck and nut luncheon every day forever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:14 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I agree with AFR 2.0.

I would also like an all mac n' cheeze cookbook.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:00 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

It's not a cookbook, but the four pounds flour site (historical cooking) did a podcast on mock meats.

http://www.fourpoundsflour.com/podcast-fake-meat/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:22 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Gulliver wrote:
I'd really like a vegan butchery book. Like, "here is every mockmeat that has ever been made throughout history". If I had the time lack of laziness, I would write one. Protose is just amazing. Nut luncheon is dreamy. I basically would eat mock duck and nut luncheon every day forever.

Yeah, that'd be pretty interesting. So many people sneer at mock meats, yet they persist. Tangentially, if anyone has a good salami recipe I'd really love to know.

"I accept all cakes with open arms." - Rebekah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

dropscone wrote:
if anyone has a good salami recipe I'd really love to know.

My kingdom for a good salami recipe. Especially if it is chewy and a bit greasy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

have you tried making bryanna's salami? it was really tasty, but i don't remember if i ever had meaty pastrami before this.
http://vegancooking.livejournal.com/1793478.html

i would like a cookbook that uses up lots of a specific ingredient. for example... have 5 bananas in the house? they have you covered. 15 apples? ding ding! 8 cups of raspberries? well, sit on down, pardner!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:39 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

supercarrot wrote:
i would like a cookbook that uses up lots of a specific ingredient. for example... have 5 bananas in the house? they have you covered. 15 apples? ding ding! 8 cups of raspberries? well, sit on down, pardner!

That would be handy, esp. to those who grow their produce or who belong to CSAs. Which reminds me, years ago I belonged to a CSA and they gave members a notebook of recipes for unfamiliar vegetables. A cookbook like that would be great too-- organized by vegetable. One that says "Here's what to do with fiddlehead ferns, here's what to do with garlic scapes" for example.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:09 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Yes to AFR 2.0! It is my favorite and most used cookbook.