| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Cookbooks 2013
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

:) it just makes me happy that all these libraries are getting vegan cookbooks!
(i am a "owner" so if i want, i buy!)

ie: I want pies and tarts with heart.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:18 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

daisysunshine wrote:

It's silly, but reading that made me instantly think of the old rhyme...

The Queen of Hearts
She made some tarts,
All on a summer's day;
The Knave of Hearts
He stole those tarts,
And took them clean away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

Minatomachi wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

It's silly, but reading that made me instantly think of the old rhyme...

The Queen of Hearts
She made some tarts,
All on a summer's day;
The Knave of Hearts
He stole those tarts,
And took them clean away.

hehehe that's so cute!

yeah, there was a pie cookbook (non vegan), and it just made me realise how much i miss savoury pies. (I really miss quiche, that my mom made). i know a lot of people don't mind converting but for me, my mind is too full to try to attempt, so i am liking someone is doing a more savoury pie book (even though i've not owned anything by Urban Vegan)

I am tempted by Vegan Secret Supper as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:43 am 
WRETCHED

Are savory pies like pot pies?

I've never had very many savory pies in my life, maybe a couple chicken pot pies but that is about it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 am 
Level 7 Vegan

linanil wrote:
Are savory pies like pot pies?

yup.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just got four cookbooks - vegan sandwiches, Chinese vegan, vegan substitutions and joy if vegan baking. The sandwiches book is amazing and I can't wait to check out the whole grain baking book. This next year is going to be crazy cookbook-wise. I wasn't considering the pie book, even though I love pies, but the inclusion of savory pies tipped it onto my wish list. This thread is dangerous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I preordered the whole grain baking book. I don't usually do preorders, but that one isn't glamorous enough for me to work into the budget when it's released. This way, it will just one day arrive and I'll have to bake healthy stuff that I'll enjoy and appreciate. Otherwise, I'll just order some dessert book.

I have Donna Kleins Chinese Vegan Kitchen, but haven't tried anything yet. I always seem to botch up any Chinese or Thai meals that I try to make. My pad Thai is so horrific, no matter which recipe I use.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
I preordered the whole grain baking book. I don't usually do preorders, but that one isn't glamorous enough for me to work into the budget when it's released. This way, it will just one day arrive and I'll have to bake healthy stuff that I'll enjoy and appreciate. Otherwise, I'll just order some dessert book.

I have Donna Kleins Chinese Vegan Kitchen, but haven't tried anything yet. I always seem to botch up any Chinese or Thai meals that I try to make. My pad Thai is so horrific, no matter which recipe I use.

I bought ingredients to make hot and sour soup, which is on my "must veganize before I die" list since it was and is my favorite soup. I had a version at a veg Chinese place in The Hague recently and it sparked a renewed interest in figuring out a vegan version. I think my problem in the past was that without the cloud ear mushrooms and the lily buds it will never taste like "real" hot and sour soup.

We're lucky here that we have an awesome Asian market with all the rare ingredients called for in dishes. I've had luck with Vegan Eats World because of this, whereas I've had to skip a lot of the dishes in Viva Vegan since the Netherlands has a virtually nonexistent Latino population.

I'm thinking about splurging and pre-ordering the whole grain baking book. I'm just so excited about all the cookbooks coming out! I sat down to Amazon today and wanted to order something, but all the books I want aren't released yet. Grr. I'm having fun with the sandwiches book and vegan food substitutions in the meantime, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:10 am 
Saggy Butt

Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes By Celine Steen & Joni Marie Newman is this a new title or a reprint of something earlier?

The blurb on Book depository makes it sound familiar reading through it.
"Calling All Insatiable Appetites!To anyone who’s ever thought “a meal without meat is a terrible thing to eat,” we’ve got news for you: You’re about to sink your teeth into some of the best food you’ve ever eaten. Food that happens to be vegan but is so full of hearty flavor and taste that even your non-vegan guests—and family members—will be left wondering if they just ate a meatless meal or a Thanksgiving feast.Inside, you’ll be treated to a vast collection of more than 200 “secret weapon” recipes from authors Celine Steen and Joni Marie Newman, two plant-based pros who know what it takes to wow the socks off of anyone with straight-up great food. From Banana Split Waffles to Ultimate Patty Melts, they’ll show you (and your meat-loving guests) that eating vegan doesn’t mean sacrificing flavor, but rather enhancing it using the natural flavors found in fruits, vegetables, grains, spices, herbs, and more.Recipes include:- Baked Cinnamon Sugar Donut Holes- Hearty Breakfast Bowl- Chocolate Stout Chili- Sweet Potato Po' Boys- Five-Cheese Baked Macaroni and Cheese- Crispy Burritos con Carne- Garlic Truffle Fries- Sun Dried Tomato, Garlic, and Basil Flatbread- Strawberry Cream Pretzel Pie- White Chocolate Almond Bars- Peanut Butter Rocky Road Pound Cakes. Whether you’re looking to impress or indulge—or both!—Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food is your ultimate source for mean and mouthwatering eats at every meal."

Does this seem familiar to anyone else?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That sounds like their Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites book.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I've made a bunch of those recipes from Hearty Vegan Meals.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:

Oh man, I do this too. My Thai curries are ok but only because it's hard to mess up store bought curry paste + coconut milk. I've never made a good pad thai and I've never made a good Chinese dish. I keep thinking it must be because all the recipes I try aren't calling for all the authentic ingredients or something. Or maybe I just have a knack for picking dud recipes.

I haven't tried any recipes from Vegan Eats World yet. I hope I do a little better with them!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:41 am 
Saggy Butt

Aw. I saw that title and got all excited about a new Celine & Joni book, but couldn't believe I hadn't heard anything about it. Was coming here to see if others had. Should have looked closer...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:56 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

My copy of Vegan Secret Supper arrived yesterday. It's a beauty! I have been notified that my pre-order of Whole Grain Vegan Baking is scheduled for delivery on Saturday. I am really looking forward to working with that one. These books are being released quite a bit earlier than expected, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:26 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

couroupita wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Oh man, I do this too. My Thai curries are ok but only because it's hard to mess up store bought curry paste + coconut milk. I've never made a good pad thai and I've never made a good Chinese dish. I keep thinking it must be because all the recipes I try aren't calling for all the authentic ingredients or something. Or maybe I just have a knack for picking dud recipes.

I haven't tried any recipes from Vegan Eats World yet. I hope I do a little better with them!

I recently took an authentic vegetarian Thai cooking class and the answer seems to be subtlety, and (what feels like) undercooking the ingredients. We made five vegan dishes in an hour WITH instruction/homemade pastes, and I'll labour over the stove for hours at home. It was so fresh and eye opening! The most important part is the ingredients. If it's galangal and you can get it, don't sub ginger. Buy the best veggies. Buy super-fresh tofu! Fresh herbs aplenty. The chilies need to be fresh! The best brand of coconut milk. It sounds expensive, but at a good Asian grocery store it's really accessible.

PSA: Everything I learned about Thai food I learned from jdfunks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

Quote:
I have been notified that my pre-order of Whole Grain Vegan Baking is scheduled for delivery on Saturday.

Mine's not going to get here til Tuesday! Hmph.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:43 am 
Saggy Butt

weaver wrote:
My copy of Vegan Secret Supper arrived yesterday. It's a beauty! I have been notified that my pre-order of Whole Grain Vegan Baking is scheduled for delivery on Saturday. I am really looking forward to working with that one. These books are being released quite a bit earlier than expected, I think.

Oh yes my VSS has shipped, Book Depository still show Whole Grain Vegan Baking as not being available for another 2 months. :(
Hopefully they'll update soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:08 am 
Discovered unobtainium

My whole grain vegan baking should arrive Monday. I hope so, because I'm going to WF and TJ on Tuesday, so that's the time to buy any ingredients!

I wish it had look inside or something; I basically bought it blind just because of the author.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:20 am 
Saggy Butt

I see Mango and Mint has passed it's original release date and it's been pushed back by about 50 days now. :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:32 pm 

akasha wrote:
Quote:
I have been notified that my pre-order of Whole Grain Vegan Baking is scheduled for delivery on Saturday.

Mine's not going to get here til Tuesday! Hmph.

I am not sure why I received my copy so early. Earlier this week I was notified that my copy of Whole Grain Vegan Baking would be delivered on Tuesday. A day later the delivery date changed.

At any rate, the book has arrived and it really looks great. It is filled with the kind of food I most like to make and eat. From savory to sweet, if the recipes are half as good as they look, I expect my copy of WGVB to see a lot of action!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:40 pm 

Are there lots of pictures?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:55 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

pickledtreats wrote:
That sounds like their Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites book.

Looks like they're renaming it.

http://justthefood.blogspot.com/2013/03 ... ooked.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:01 pm 

Minatomachi wrote:

Flipping through the book quickly, I would say that about a third to, perhaps, a half of the recipes have an accompanying picture. When trying out a new dish, I really appreciate being able to see what it is I am shooting for. Overall, I am pleased by the number of photos Whole Grain Vegan Baking contains.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:51 pm 

weaver wrote:
Minatomachi wrote:

Flipping through the book quickly, I would say that about a third to, perhaps, a half of the recipes have an accompanying picture. When trying out a new dish, I really appreciate being able to see what it is I am shooting for. Overall, I am pleased by the number of photos Whole Grain Vegan Baking contains.

That's good. I too like to have an idea what the result should look like.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:24 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I didn't pre-order Whole Grain Baking, but I noticed yesterday that it said "in stock" instead of "pre-order," so I ordered it, and it shipped that day (Saturday).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next