| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Cookbooks 2013
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

LFL wrote:
I spotted this upcoming cookbook on Amazon:

The Kitchen Divided: Vegan Dishes for Semi-Vegan Households by Ellen Jaffe Jones

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Divided-D ... 57067292X/

I thought it might be of interest to those who live with omnis.

That topic is of interest to me, but the 'about the author' bit is...well, not for me. Then I went to her webpage and decided that she is definitely not for me. I wonder if the recipes are any good though? Anyone own her other book? Just curious.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:00 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I just saw The Cheesey Vegan:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cheesy-Vegan- ... pd_sim_b_1

It looks promising! I always wanted to learn how to pair wine - not that I drink a bunch.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

missmuffcake wrote:
I just saw The Cheesey Vegan:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cheesy-Vegan- ... pd_sim_b_1

It looks promising! I always wanted to learn how to pair wine - not that I drink a bunch.

i'm interested.... i never did buy AVC, but since i'm allergic to all nuts, i wonder how many of the cheezes in TCV will be nut-based........

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

I can't remember if Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small that Redefine Vegetable Cooking was mentioned here before, but it looks like it's an all-vegan cookbook, and the recipes sound fancy and creative:

Quote:
In a 19th-century townhouse in Center City, Philadelphia, white beans meet sauerkraut, beet root anchors the pots de crème, and broccoli rabe is served Philly style. Welcome to Vedge! Opened in 2011 by acclaimed chef Rich Landau and pastry chef Kate Jacoby (both former proprietors of Horizons, VegNews’s 2006 Restaurant of the Year), Vedge may be the most innovative vegan restaurant in the country. Patrons savor plates large and small, all of which showcase vegetables as they’ve rarely been prepared before. Now Vedge takes readers inside the kitchen, with 100 recipes that recreate this distinctive (and deceptively vegan) fare at home.

Here are recipes for Small Bites (French Breakfast Radishes with Nori, Smoked Tamari and Avocado), Plates (Porcini and Celery Root Shepherd’s Pie), and special dishes featured on the restaurant’s popular “Dirt List” made from just-reaped ingredients (Charred Shishito Peppers), as well as tips and techniques from Chef Landau (such as how to make mushrooms the main event in BLT Sliders), luscious desserts from Chef Jacoby (such as Chocolate Stuffed Beignets), and even cocktail recipes and wine pairing recommendations.

[url]
http://www.amazon.com/Vedge-Plates-Rede ... 1615190856[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:27 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

For those who understand French, three great-looking vegan books are coming out:
Coco
Des cupcakes... pas comme les autres
Street Food Culture

If you ever bought French vegan cookbooks, you may have noticed the words "végan" or "végétalien" never appear on the title and very rarely in the description, making it a real pain to find out whether a particular book is vegan or not. It's like editors are ashamed to own they publish vegan books. Or else they try to sneak them on non-vegans? Anyway it's a stark contrast to the situation in the US, where vegan cookbooks without the word "vegan" on the cover are unusual since they would have trouble reaching their market.

Anyway, two of these books are from a vegan collection that is just starting out, so I hope they get enough buyers for the collection to endure. It would be great if veganism became more popular outside the US!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:51 am 
Nailed to the V

LFL wrote:
I can't remember if Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small that Redefine Vegetable Cooking was mentioned here before, but it looks like it's an all-vegan cookbook, and the recipes sound fancy and creative:

Quote:
In a 19th-century townhouse in Center City, Philadelphia, white beans meet sauerkraut, beet root anchors the pots de crème, and broccoli rabe is served Philly style. Welcome to Vedge! Opened in 2011 by acclaimed chef Rich Landau and pastry chef Kate Jacoby (both former proprietors of Horizons, VegNews’s 2006 Restaurant of the Year), Vedge may be the most innovative vegan restaurant in the country. Patrons savor plates large and small, all of which showcase vegetables as they’ve rarely been prepared before. Now Vedge takes readers inside the kitchen, with 100 recipes that recreate this distinctive (and deceptively vegan) fare at home.

Here are recipes for Small Bites (French Breakfast Radishes with Nori, Smoked Tamari and Avocado), Plates (Porcini and Celery Root Shepherd’s Pie), and special dishes featured on the restaurant’s popular “Dirt List” made from just-reaped ingredients (Charred Shishito Peppers), as well as tips and techniques from Chef Landau (such as how to make mushrooms the main event in BLT Sliders), luscious desserts from Chef Jacoby (such as Chocolate Stuffed Beignets), and even cocktail recipes and wine pairing recommendations.

[url]
http://www.amazon.com/Vedge-Plates-Rede ... 1615190856[/url]

I'm excited for this one; it's already pre-ordered! I had the good fortune to dine at Vedge recently, and it was such a memorable, wonderful meal that I immediately recruited my mother to buy me the cookbook as a birthday present. I'm still thinking about that dinner...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:08 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Minatomachi wrote:
For those who understand French, three great-looking vegan books are coming out:
Coco
Des cupcakes... pas comme les autres
Street Food Culture

If you ever bought French vegan cookbooks, you may have noticed the words "végan" or "végétalien" never appear on the title and very rarely in the description, making it a real pain to find out whether a particular book is vegan or not. It's like editors are ashamed to own they publish vegan books. Or else they try to sneak them on non-vegans? Anyway it's a stark contrast to the situation in the US, where vegan cookbooks without the word "vegan" on the cover are unusual since they would have trouble reaching their market.

Anyway, two of these books are from a vegan collection that is just starting out, so I hope they get enough buyers for the collection to endure. It would be great if veganism became more popular outside the US!

Street Food Culture looks really good!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

beethecookie wrote:
I'm excited for this one; it's already pre-ordered! I had the good fortune to dine at Vedge recently, and it was such a memorable, wonderful meal that I immediately recruited my mother to buy me the cookbook as a birthday present. I'm still thinking about that dinner...

I've never eaten there, but now I really want to! What did you have when you dined there?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been out of the loop for a few months and am feeling lazy and am not back-reading ;)
any great stuff come out in the past few months?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:
I've been out of the loop for a few months and am feeling lazy and am not back-reading ;)
any great stuff come out in the past few months?

The Veggie Lover's Sriracha Cookbook
and The Great Vegan Bean Book both seem popular on this forum lately. Both books have threads devoted to them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

365 vegan smoothies. this is like essential, imo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

LFL wrote:
beethecookie wrote:

I've never eaten there, but now I really want to! What did you have when you dined there?

Let's see if I can remember it all...we ate a lot!

Starters included peel n eat lupini beans with garlic (fun to eat and sooo good! They were toothsome but tender, and perfectly seasoned), pickled vegetables (including cherry tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, and cucumbers! Spicy and tart), and assorted olives with chiles.

Then we had a special from their Dirt List, which is their ever-changing seasonal menu. It was some type of exotic mushroom dish in a very savory broth. The mushrooms were almost thinly shaven, and we ate the whole mess on some crostini and used the bread to soak up all the broth. Drool.

Next were the cold dishes. My husband had a golden beet dish with avocados, smoked tofu, and some type of creamy cucumber sauce with rye bread for dipping. I'm not a huge fan of beets or avocados, but I had to admit that taking a bite of this with all the components together was a game changer for me. Out of this world. My cold dish was the sweet potato pate with grainy mustard and jerk cashews. Nom. I love anything sweet potato, so this was a no-brainer for me. Only thing I would have changed, probably, would be that I prefer my sweet potatoes as more of a hot dish than a cold one. But I was still thrilled to have ordered this for the flavor combinations.

Next were the entrees. Mine was the carrot shawarma. This was served on a bed of black lentils with chickpeas, olives, and a green harissa sauce around the edge. The plating on this one was particularly gorgeous, and the dish itself was amazing. Every part added up to a sweet/savory result that I loved. My husband ordered their seitan entree with a smoked tahini sauce. Best seitan we've ever had, hands down. Tasted like it was fresh from the grill, too.

Dessert, though, was my favorite course, hands down. I got something called, I believe, the chocolate uber chunk. A chocolate mousse-type thing over a crust of peanuts and pretzels, topped with a malt custard. There was a stout ice cream and some more peanut butter and chocolate things scattered about. To die for. My husband got the saffron cheesecake. It came with a basil gelee sauce, rhubard sorbet, and an olive and pistachio crust. It was probably the best cheesecake I've ever had, vegan or no. Absolutely incredible.

I'm so sorry for the long post, but once you get me started on that meal, it's impossible for me to shut up!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

beethecookie wrote:
LFL wrote:
beethecookie wrote:

Let's see if I can remember it all...we ate a lot!

Starters included peel n eat lupini beans with garlic (fun to eat and sooo good! They were toothsome but tender, and perfectly seasoned), pickled vegetables (including cherry tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, and cucumbers! Spicy and tart), and assorted olives with chiles.

Then we had a special from their Dirt List, which is their ever-changing seasonal menu. It was some type of exotic mushroom dish in a very savory broth. The mushrooms were almost thinly shaven, and we ate the whole mess on some crostini and used the bread to soak up all the broth. Drool.

Next were the cold dishes. My husband had a golden beet dish with avocados, smoked tofu, and some type of creamy cucumber sauce with rye bread for dipping. I'm not a huge fan of beets or avocados, but I had to admit that taking a bite of this with all the components together was a game changer for me. Out of this world. My cold dish was the sweet potato pate with grainy mustard and jerk cashews. Nom. I love anything sweet potato, so this was a no-brainer for me. Only thing I would have changed, probably, would be that I prefer my sweet potatoes as more of a hot dish than a cold one. But I was still thrilled to have ordered this for the flavor combinations.

Next were the entrees. Mine was the carrot shawarma. This was served on a bed of black lentils with chickpeas, olives, and a green harissa sauce around the edge. The plating on this one was particularly gorgeous, and the dish itself was amazing. Every part added up to a sweet/savory result that I loved. My husband ordered their seitan entree with a smoked tahini sauce. Best seitan we've ever had, hands down. Tasted like it was fresh from the grill, too.

Dessert, though, was my favorite course, hands down. I got something called, I believe, the chocolate uber chunk. A chocolate mousse-type thing over a crust of peanuts and pretzels, topped with a malt custard. There was a stout ice cream and some more peanut butter and chocolate things scattered about. To die for. My husband got the saffron cheesecake. It came with a basil gelee sauce, rhubard sorbet, and an olive and pistachio crust. It was probably the best cheesecake I've ever had, vegan or no. Absolutely incredible.

I'm so sorry for the long post, but once you get me started on that meal, it's impossible for me to shut up!

Wow. That sounds like an incredible meal. Thanks for typing all that up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11