| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Cookbooks 2013
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Aww shiitake, the release date is on my birthday too. ARE WE BIRTHDAY TWINS, LISA?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:12 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I love this thread! So many goodies for 2013. (As if there weren't enough cookbooks I wish to get among those that are already out...)
The one I will surely get is "Whole-Grain Vegan Baking". Even before I was vegan I used to wish for more whole-grain baking recipes. I may wait for a few people to review it, though, in case it's not good...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

Book depository doesn't have Isa listed yet but I saw these which I'm looking forward to hearing more about as the time gets closer to release.

Cheers to Vegan Sweets!: Drink-Inspired Vegan Desserts - From the Cafe to the Cocktail Lounge, Turn Your Sweet Sips Into Even Better Bites! By Kelly Peloza
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Cheers- ... 1592335688

Vegan Fusion: 125 Comfort Food Classics, Reinvented with an Ethnic Twist! By Joni Marie Newman
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Vegan-F ... 1592335800

I like these authors other works, and I can't really say no to desserts or comfort food. Well I can, but not to books about them, food fantasy's while I eat something better for me from Appetite for Reduction.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oh! And this one!

Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just for You: More than 100 Delicious One-Pot Meals for Your 1.5-Quart/Liter Slow Cooker - Perfectly Sized for Small Families! By Kathy Hester
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Vegan-S ... 1592335633

I do have one of those little 1.5 slow cookers, I've always had a hard time finding anything to make in it other than oatmeal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

darksideknitter wrote:
Book depository doesn't have Isa listed yet but I saw these which I'm looking forward to hearing more about as the time gets closer to release.

Cheers to Vegan Sweets!: Drink-Inspired Vegan Desserts - From the Cafe to the Cocktail Lounge, Turn Your Sweet Sips Into Even Better Bites! By Kelly Peloza
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Cheers- ... 1592335688

Vegan Fusion: 125 Comfort Food Classics, Reinvented with an Ethnic Twist! By Joni Marie Newman
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Vegan-F ... 1592335800

I like these authors other works, and I can't really say no to desserts or comfort food. Well I can, but not to books about them, food fantasy's while I eat something better for me from Appetite for Reduction.

I've tested for BOTH of these books:
get them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

OOh pre-ordered Isa's! It's very rare that the preorder price for Canada is lower than the American one and it's only 2 percent higher than I would have gotten at work. (HAH!).

My argument for getting baking(ie: cakes etc) only, is that you never know when you'll need one. Seriously. Birthdays are always abundant, you might break up with someone, PMS hits, whatever. It's good to always be armed with something. Also I find some people have different twists on old favorites, some might use margarine vs. coconut oil vs. nothing, and it's good to have it for those who have allergins.

(my world: Im vegan, best friend is soy-allergic the other one is cashew/walnut allergic. cooking for them every week= FUN)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:26 pm 

daisysunshine wrote:
OOh pre-ordered Isa's! It's very rare that the preorder price for Canada is lower than the American one and it's only 2 percent higher than I would have gotten at work. (HAH!).

My argument for getting baking(ie: cakes etc) only, is that you never know when you'll need one. Seriously. Birthdays are always abundant, you might break up with someone, PMS hits, whatever. It's good to always be armed with something. Also I find some people have different twists on old favorites, some might use margarine vs. coconut oil vs. nothing, and it's good to have it for those who have allergins.

(my world: Im vegan, best friend is soy-allergic the other one is cashew/walnut allergic. cooking for them every week= FUN)

Ouch. I always feel so sorry for people with food allergies, especially products like soy and gluten that are found everywhere. And cooking for them on a regular basis cannot be much fun, either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

Actually, it's fun, because it tests my cooking skills, and i can learn what to make soy free and figure out what to do/not to do. (ie: earth balance soy free butter is not "soy free" enough for her - something i tease her about all the time). but we've figured out how to use coconut oil instead. sometimes it totally works, sometimes not. and pecans sub beautifully - but we've yet to figure out how to make things as a cashew subsitute.

if it were me though, i'd seriously suffer, because i wouldn't give it up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:14 am 
Nailed to the V

yeileen wrote:
Not sure if anyone has posted this link:
http://www.amazon.com/Isa-Does-Amazingl ... ords=vegan

Thanks! I pre-ordered a kindle copy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:23 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

creep wrote:
Aww shiitake, the release date is on my birthday too. ARE WE BIRTHDAY TWINS, LISA?

not exactly but very close! im 10/6!

yay Libras!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

crepe. Amazon changed their shipping parameters, even if you did "send packages as few as possible" they had a tendency to send things when they released.... now they lumped everything together..

So i won't be getting ANY cookbooks until September/October. :(
SNIFFLE.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Can't you edit your orders into $25 batches?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:20 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have never thought about searching for pre-release books and now that I have done it, my wishlist has pretty much quadrupled!
I will most certainly be buying Isa Does It, or perhaps getting as a birthday present since I'm an October birthday too (11th, so just in time for it to get delivered!). I also really want the Whole Grain baking book because I love Celine and buy all her books.

In my searching, I also came across this which made me squeal with delight:
The Veggie Lovers Sriracha Cookbook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

lavawitch wrote:
Can't you edit your orders into $25 batches?

they already are. it's the release dates. (and some of my dates were when they were like at 40% off, so cancelling the order would doubly suck).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:27 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Isa Does It is now listed on Book Depository! http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Isa-Doe ... 0316221900

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
Isa Does It is now listed on Book Depository! http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Isa-Doe ... 0316221900

interesting that VwAV has a completely different cover overseas ;)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bookwormbethie wrote:

That's the one I have, the measurements are all different too- by weight (in grams, of course!) rather than cups.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Erinnerung wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

That's the one I have, the measurements are all different too- by weight (in grams, of course!) rather than cups.

the formatting is also different, it doesn't have any pictures, and it British-izes all of the little Isa idiosyncrasies we all know and love. i hate when they "translate" American cookbooks like that.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erinnerung wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

the formatting is also different, it doesn't have any pictures, and it British-izes all of the little Isa idiosyncrasies we all know and love. i hate when they "translate" American cookbooks like that.

what?! provide examples please!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

bookwormbethie wrote:

what i can remember offhand from flipping through a UK copy: they're sandwiches instead of sammiches (like that's too difficult for non-Americans to figure out), she talks about her Mum instead of her Mom, etc. here's a link to the UK edition with a look-inside feature if you want to investigate further.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

oh boo-urns, the amazon page i linked shows the American kindle version. ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:28 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I really didn't like that UK/Aus version of Vegan with a Vengeance. Binding was crepe, formatting was godawful, and it was just confusing. I wonder if the publisher just used common weights, rather than ingredients being weighed out, too (which is pretty standard but not reliable across the world)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 pm 

I doubt the editor would take the trouble of being very accurate going from volumes to weights. So the original version of a cookbook is probably always most reliable.

It makes me think of British fantasy author Terry Pratchett, whose books have British and American editions. This was his answer to complaints about the American editions of his books:
"It's not Brits who think American readers are a bunch of whinging morons with the geo-social understanding of a wire coathanger, it's American editors."
That made me laugh when I first read it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bookwormbethie wrote:

what i can remember offhand from flipping through a UK copy: they're sandwiches instead of sammiches (like that's too difficult for non-Americans to figure out), she talks about her Mum instead of her Mom, etc. here's a link to the UK edition with a look-inside feature if you want to investigate further.

bummer the link below didn't pan out, but thanks for those 2 examples ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:59 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Julie Hasson's "Vegan Pizza" now has a cover photo! Gosh this is bringing back AWESOMELY DELICIOUS memories of testing!! Looks great. http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Pizza-Crisp ... 144942712X

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next