| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Veganomicon Skillet Cornbread recipe fail
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:37 pm 
Tofu Pup

I just bought the Veganomicon cookbook and I'm anxiously trying out the recipes. I have found several typo's so originally I thought maybe that was the reason my cornbread failed.

Then, I realized, I accidentally left an ingredient out. Although the taste was good, my cornbread was dense and doughlike, heavy and gummy, like clay.

I forgot to add the 1/3 C oil into the batter. Does anyone know if that would indeed cause the fail I experienced in my cornbread recipe?
Other possible reasons:
1. Originally, before I realized that I had forgotten the oil, I thought maybe the 2 tsp baking powder (was possibly another typo?) was REALLY supposed to be soda and maybe that was the error.
2. Also, I am wondering if the almond milk I used, instead of soy milk, would cause any problems with the rise. (I did not notice the "curdling" that was supposed to happen nor did it taste any differently.)
3. The other thing I'm wondering about is the corn meal. I used "Fine Corn Meal" (Diana brand) instead of regular cornmeal - would that make any difference?

I just can't believe not adding oil would have caused such a nasty accident! But I will say, my chickens LOVED their cornbread-fail treat this morning!

Anyway, I would really appreciate some help and advice - I am a southerner who has recently gone vegan and we love our cornbread down here. I MUST perfect this recipe. Thanks :)

Post subject: Re: Veganomicon Skillet Cornbread recipe fail
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:46 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I never made this recipe. But not including the oil would probably make it very dense. And you need to use soy milk for curdling.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:11 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I make the double-corn version and use more oil when cooking the corn (probably 2 T) and then omit the 1/3 c. called for, plus I sub 1 c. ww pastry flour rather than all-purpose. With my subs, it is a little dense (buy not clay-like or gooey,) and still the best cornbread I've ever made. I also use one of the higher fat soy milks, where your almond milk would also be deficient.

And check your baking powder - was it still fresh? And what size skillet did you use - I use my 12".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I make this recipe as-written (using whatever milk I have on hand, anyway), and it always works fine, so it was likely your cornmeal or the oil or a combination of both. Leaving out that much liquid, oil or not, would definitely have an effect on the final result. The almond milk shouldn't be a problem. That's what I almost always use, and it curdles fine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm still confused due to varying opinions - but it seems all of you have had good results. VeganBerlin & Jill say I need to use soy milk but creep uses almond milk with no problem.

Jill, you pointed out the 12" skillet - that was one of the important details left out of this recipe (another typo IMO) so yes, I guessed and used a 12". So far, every recipe I've tried has had some sort of typo so I'm starting to not trust these recipes which is a real bummer because I was so excited about this new cookbook. And there are so many people who apparently LOVE it. But I will try this recipe again using 1) regular cornmeal, 2) different b.p. and 3) remember to add the oil, and then see how it works out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Milk should always be interchangeable, unless it's canned coconut milk. In fact, a lot of newer cookbooks just say "non-dairy milk."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:58 pm 

Suzicat wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm still confused due to varying opinions - but it seems all of you have had good results. VeganBerlin & Jill say I need to use soy milk but creep uses almond milk with no problem.

Jill, you pointed out the 12" skillet - that was one of the important details left out of this recipe (another typo IMO) so yes, I guessed and used a 12". So far, every recipe I've tried has had some sort of typo so I'm starting to not trust these recipes which is a real bummer because I was so excited about this new cookbook. And there are so many people who apparently LOVE it. But I will try this recipe again using 1) regular cornmeal, 2) different b.p. and 3) remember to add the oil, and then see how it works out.

I think Suzicat has found your main issue with not enough liquid. I do cut the majority of oil out of recipes, which can affect texture too, but I tend to go by my eye a little when adding liquid to reach what I think is the right consistency.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:03 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Suzicat wrote:

I've made this recipe a lot. You can use whatever type of non dairy milk you want. I've found almond milk works really well for baking in general. The baking powder is not a typo. If you used two teaspoons of baking soda you'd probably get a bitter after taste. I've also used a few different types of cornmeal with good success. I usually use bob's red mill corn flour because I don't like the grainy texture of regular cornbread and it comes out just fine.

I've been cooking out of veganomicon for forever and haven't found that many typos, so maybe let us know what other recipes you're having problems with. When recipes are gummy it might be from overmixing, so just be careful not to mix too much. I'm thinking a combo of the missing oil and possibly overmixing were your issue.

What else have you had problems with in the book. Maybe we can help. It's a great book, so I wouldn't want you to miss out on some awesome recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:46 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Just to add my two cents. I have made this recipe in a 10" skillet also and it turns out just fine. I make this recipe all the time and it turns out great.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Suzicat wrote:

I've made this recipe a lot. You can use whatever type of non dairy milk you want. I've found almond milk works really well for baking in general. The baking powder is not a typo. If you used two teaspoons of baking soda you'd probably get a bitter after taste. I've also used a few different types of cornmeal with good success. I usually use bob's red mill corn flour because I don't like the grainy texture of regular cornbread and it comes out just fine.

I've been cooking out of veganomicon for forever and haven't found that many typos, so maybe let us know what other recipes you're having problems with. When recipes are gummy it might be from overmixing, so just be careful not to mix too much. I'm thinking a combo of the missing oil and possibly overmixing were your issue.

What else have you had problems with in the book. Maybe we can help. It's a great book, so I wouldn't want you to miss out on some awesome recipes.

Thank you for your tips! Maybe there were just a variety of issues involved with my flubbed cornbread. I will try it again and watch not to overmix as well as getting some new b.p. and regular cornmeal.

The typos I have found (so far) didn't actually cause me problems - it's just that when I had this one fail, I assumed another typo might have been the problem. The first recipe I tried (Maple and Brown Sugar Pinwheels) left out the addition of the orange zest when making the batter, but luckily I caught it and added it. Those were EXCELLENT, by the way. I can't remember where I found the second typo but it basically was a word that was 'repeated repeated' - again, no biggie, but just makes me wary of what other typos weren't caught that could cause me a problem. I'm definitely not writing off this book yet with all these avid fans and reviews!

I REALLY appreciate everyone's helpful advice. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:25 pm 

I seem to remember a long thread for Vcon typos on the old website, but most were common sense sorts of things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah cooking through thd Veganomicon recipes is how I found the ppk years back! I think it's so cool we have a forum where probably 20 different people at peast have made each recipe cause we pretty much all love that book. I agree that the oil is the problem cause I've used different cornmeals and never had a problem and leaving out oil without replacing it with something is going to cause baking trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

You can add extra liquid to make up for the oil, but I would say it's the absence of the full amount of liquid that might cause a problem, not lack of oil. I say this because I make fat-free cornbread using creamed corn and it's perfectly fine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:33 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have nothing useful to add other than this is our favorite cornbread recipe in our house...but I just wanted to say hi because I live in Knoxville, too!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:48 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Just to add to the consensus already - I'd say that forgetting the oil is probably the source of the problem here. Hey - it's happened to all of us!

Please don't give up on Veganomicon! It's one of my top 3 and is always the book I recommend to people when they're new to veganism or interested in cooking more. Boring story - I once lent it to a boy I was seeing and when we decided not to see one another anymore I was almost more worried about getting my book back than the breakup!