| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ani Phyo's books
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:27 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I now have Ani's Raw Food Kitchen, Ani's Raw Food Desserits, and Raw Food. I haven't gotten to make anything out of the latest book yet - anyone have any details to share?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: Ani Phyo's books
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:36 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have Raw Food Kitchen and I've only made one thing out of it. Any suggestions for great recipes?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've gone back and forth on buying her books. I kinda want to, but the recipes I looked at seemed too complicated or time consuming.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:59 pm 

VeganMeredith wrote:
I have Raw Food Kitchen and I've only made one thing out of it. Any suggestions for great recipes?

I've made:
Very Blueberry
Carob Strawberry Bliss
Pina Colada
Pear Frosty
Cherry Malt
Vanilla Mylk
Buckwheat Crispies
Goji Berry Sunshine Cereal
Good Morning Muesli
Almond Cinnamon Oatmeal
Carob Pudding
Cashew Coconut Pudding
Luscious Lemon Pudding
Fruit Parfait
Coconut Breakfast Cakes
Crepe Kream Stack
Love the Chicks Pate
Garden Scramble
ORange Cucumber Dressing
Spring Herb Rainbow in Kreamy Curry Dressing
Wilted Spinach Salad in Mustard Seed Dressing
Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho
Home Style Minestrone Soup
Marinara
Walnut Cranberry Squash Rice
Black Sesame Sunflower Bread
Taco Nut Meat
Black Pepper Cheeze
Sunny Dill Cheeze
Ginger Almond Pate
Stuffed Anaheim Chiles with Mole Sauce
Sun Burgers
All American Apple Pie
Carrot Cake
Lemon Coconut Bars
Donut Holes

Now you can see why I was too lazy to list that earlier :D It's mostly all good. The soups I don't like and they have GOBS of oil. I didn't love the mole but the stuffed chiles were good. I don't like the sun burgers. Otherwise? Good.

Fatcat - It seems like that, but they aren't really, as far as raw recipes go. This forum - http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/for ... y.php?f=63 - has a bunch of Ani recipes typed in so you can try some without buying the book.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:05 pm 

Oh and I didn't like the butternut rice but I have since realized I don't like butternut squash, so . . . :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

I've made zillions of her recipes (I have all her books), and the only one I HATED was the lemon-fennel soup. Really gross and oily.

My favorite recipes are the broccoli mash, marinated portabellas, sundried tomato marinara, chili, taco meat, pancakes, the lavendar chocolate bars...okay, just about all of them, except that damned soup.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:22 pm 

SassyOh wrote:
except that damned soup.

yup. the soups are BAD.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:06 pm 

appifanie wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

Now you can see why I was too lazy to list that earlier :D It's mostly all good. The soups I don't like and they have GOBS of oil. I didn't love the mole but the stuffed chiles were good. I don't like the sun burgers. Otherwise? Good.

Fatcat - It seems like that, but they aren't really, as far as raw recipes go. This forum - http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/for ... y.php?f=63 - has a bunch of Ani recipes typed in so you can try some without buying the book.

The amount of oil in the soups really scared me, I'm glad that fear is justified. I may need to make it a mission to try more things!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:51 am 

VeganMeredith wrote:
The amount of oil in the soups really scared me, I'm glad that fear is justified. I may need to make it a mission to try more things!

It's good stuff as long as you avoid the soups :) The donut holes are extra awesome. Drinks are good, tacos are good, desserts are good, the flax pancakes are good and I think the scramble was good too but it's been a long time since I made it.

eta: i should clarify that except for my mom's gazpacho recipe, i hate cold soup.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:54 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Here are a few ideas for the soups ... omit the oil and use a lesser amount of water in its place. If you'd like a bit of richness, blend in a small amount of cashews or Brazil nuts. This works well with chowder-like soups. Water blended with some cucumber will give a thicker consistency similar to oil, but won't affect the main flavours in the recipes. If you have a Vita-Mix or a Blendtec, you could make a thick broth with extra vegetables from the recipe and a bit of water. This will add extra flavour and no fat. A regular blender would work fine with softer vegetables. You could also cut the oil by half and add some water to get the desired consistency.

I have all three of Ani's books and, I hate to admit it, but I've been heavy on the desserts, all of which I have loved (especially the fruit-based recipes). She has a lot of great videos on YouTube and I think the recipes are included at the end of each video, if you'd like to check them out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:51 pm 
Tofu Pup

I am so glad it's not just me who thought the oily soups seemed like a bad idea. I was afraid to ever try one. But I've made other things from Raw Food Kitchen that have turned out fine - I especially like her smoothie and faux milk recipes. I do find it weird and kind of hilarious that there are a zillion photos of her in the book - seriously way more pictures of Ani than of food.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:58 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

rapscallion wrote:
I do find it weird and kind of hilarious that there are a zillion photos of her in the book - seriously way more pictures of Ani than of food.

Ha! I once counted & I think there are 42 pictures if her in one if them!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:30 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Don't make the flax pancakes.

Do make
tacos or burritos with baja cheese
pear frosty
cashew banana mylk
mango lassi
matcha shake (no idea what it is called, but almond mylk with matcha and maca)
buckwheat crispies

From the dessert book there is an acai pudding I really dig.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/SimplyVegan
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vegchicblog
Instagram: http://instagram.com/vegchicblog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i absolutely adore the chocolate/raspberry cake in her dessert book. sooooo decadent and delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:36 pm 
Nailed to the V

jojo wrote:
rapscallion wrote:
I do find it weird and kind of hilarious that there are a zillion photos of her in the book - seriously way more pictures of Ani than of food.

My last housemate said Ani's books should be called Hot Like Me Volumes 1-3.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:37 am 

appifanie wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

It's good stuff as long as you avoid the soups :) The donut holes are extra awesome. Drinks are good, tacos are good, desserts are good, the flax pancakes are good and I think the scramble was good too but it's been a long time since I made it.

eta: i should clarify that except for my mom's gazpacho recipe, i hate cold soup.

I'm glad to hear the donut holes are good, I've been eying them for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

SassyOh wrote:
jojo wrote:
rapscallion wrote:

My last housemate said Ani's books should be called Hot Like Me Volumes 1-3.

Ha, I love it - my husband and I joke that if you lined up all the photos in the right order you could make a flip-book of her day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I like the Taco Nut Meat.

My adventures in raw food seem to be limited to nuts and fruit smoothies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:51 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

vgnwitch wrote:
Here are a few ideas for the soups ... omit the oil and use a lesser amount of water in its place. If you'd like a bit of richness, blend in a small amount of cashews or Brazil nuts. This works well with chowder-like soups. Water blended with some cucumber will give a thicker consistency similar to oil, but won't affect the main flavours in the recipes. If you have a Vita-Mix or a Blendtec, you could make a thick broth with extra vegetables from the recipe and a bit of water. This will add extra flavour and no fat. A regular blender would work fine with softer vegetables. You could also cut the oil by half and add some water to get the desired consistency.

I have all three of Ani's books and, I hate to admit it, but I've been heavy on the desserts, all of which I have loved (especially the fruit-based recipes). She has a lot of great videos on YouTube and I think the recipes are included at the end of each video, if you'd like to check them out.

I took a raw foods workshop and we made a miso shiitake soup based on an Ani Phyo recipe, but the instructor had us use pureed zucchini instead of the oil. It was really good!

But yeah, I'm not a huge fan of raw food, so the obnoxious zillion pics of Ani doing yoga have kept me from buying any of her books.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:23 pm 

http://aniphyo.com/blog/anis-gastrawnom ... t-kitchen/

check out her sous chef!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

The goji berries sunshine cereal (I usually make the yum yum milk to go with) is my favorite breakfast of all time. I eat it all the time. I have the fixins for it in my fridge right now!

I tried a few of the soups and yeah, too oily but otherwise promising. I remember I brought one for lunch to work once in a soup thermos and thermos's don't normally leak but the oil from all the soup seeped out! The soups are tasty though (I can't remember which ones I tried--gazpacho, and the one with mushrooms and the one with the brazil nuts) and they were tasty but the oil was too much, I agree. Vgnwitch's suggestions to cut down the oil are excellent. I've done the peeled and deseeded cucumber thing before to add body and volume to salad dressings without extra oil and it worked well. I would definitely do that with Ani's soups, next time I was to try them and that would probably be the fix for the too much oil problem I had with them as well.

vgnwitch wrote:
Water blended with some cucumber will give a thicker consistency similar to oil, but won't affect the main flavours in the recipes.

I like the carob, avocado and banana pudding for breakfast and I think the lemon pudding is good for snacks/easy breakfast. The mylks are really good.

One of the scrambles (I think the Spanish one) I didn't like.
The flax pancakes I wasn't crazy about either.

That said, I really love this book and the majority of the recipes I've tried. I think the book I have is her Raw Food Kitchen one (I think her first book).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:20 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I absolutely love raw food but everything I've made from Ani's Raw Kitchen has been awful. :( Except the donut holes, those tasted great, but they didn't hold together so it was more like a moist cereal than donut holes. Oh and one of her salad dressing recipes was good, but I didn't like anything else I made.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I tried the butternut squash rice, spicy cucumbers, shiitake soup, donut holes, sunflower seed cheeze, and some stuff I may be forgetting. The soup with the shiitake mushrooms actually made me sick, I have like a cast iron stomach too but I couldn't even look at extra virgin olive oil for a while after that without getting a stomach ache. However, I don't have a dehydrator, juicer, or vitamix so I can't make any of the really good looking recipes. I'm also violently allergic to brazil nuts and almonds and she makes heavy use of those both in most of the recipes. :( Hopefully I'll have more success when I get a dehydrator... It's really sad since, like I said I love raw food, but going to raw restaurants is balls expensive. I'd love to be able to make more of it at home.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:58 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I have made lots from the two main books, I don't own the dessert book.

I have made the soups with a lot of subbing on the oil- I don't use more than 1/4 cup per recipe. I replace the rest with liquid *if* it is needed. Sometimes it is not. OR, you can focus on the ones that use little to no oil- the gazpacho and minestrone recipes are superb, and there is a mexican soup in the newer book that is tasty as well.

All of the salads and dressings are delicious, especially the rainbow chard dill salad with the curry apple dressing (I acutally made apple-garam masala dressing, still good), and the fennel arugula salad with orange dressing. MMMM.

I really dig her polenta recipe, as it uses fresh corn and cashews, and shapes up really well. I have made it with the mushroom thyme gravy, and served it in bokchoy boats, topped with tomatoes- again, very good. There are still more 'entree' type recipes that I have not explored. When we do raw, it is a LOT of salads.

The praline mylk is great too, fyi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:25 pm 

I second being glad that my fear of her oily soups is justified. One look at the ingredients list and I moved onto the next recipe. I'm not particularly into raw food in a massive way either so would just prefer a comforting cooked soup of blended vegetables, stock and some herbs + spices, all healthy things.

I do start most days with something like her 'blue-green powerhouse' smoothie though, that definitely sets me up right for the day.
Oh and the orange cucumber dressing is just beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:30 pm 

Forgot to mention also - what's with the bazillion pictures of herself in all the books?! I guess she is a pretty good advert for eating raw, but seriously, it's a recipe collection not a modelling portfolio.