| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:57 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11586
Location: Maryland/DC area
I got this today and I really like it. It isn't vegan but can mostly be veganizable. There is even 1 recipe for meat but offers a vegetable substitute.

There are some egg recipes, which I think tofu could be substituted.

There are some recipes with optional cheese. There are some recipes that are cheese or cashew crema. And then a few cheese recipes with no substitution mentioned.

Being outside of California, some of the things may not be the easiest to get but I think the Korean markets and even the south american markets can provide me with the more rare things. I know I've seen nopales at the Korean markets.

I think I'm going to try to cook through the cookbook, veganizing things that aren't vegan.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:59 pm 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1611
Location: Los Angeles
Thanks, Linanil! When you've had a chance to make some of the recipes, I would love to hear more about them, if you feel like posting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:56 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11586
Location: Maryland/DC area
I made the Posole tonight which was really good. I did find it a little under salted but that is an easy fix.

My husband was a huge fan.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:43 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11586
Location: Maryland/DC area
One thing I wanted to add that I forgot yesterday is that Posole isn't a dish my family makes, we have always been Menudo people. I've had Posole before but a bland version, this was very flavorful and basically the same flavoring as Menudo. I'll say I've made Menudo a million times but I would cheat and use the packets for flavoring rather than prepping the chiles and what not. It was such an easy recipe. And I haven't made Menudo since I've become vegan, every December rolls around and I think I should but then I don't. This will definitely be a go to recipe when I get the Menudo craving.

Also, I'll also say that I'm generally lazy and never did add ins for Menudo, my mom used to use cilantro and limes. Last night, I followed the cookbook and did radish slices, shredded cabbage, limes and cilantro. My husband dubbed it Mexican Pho.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:37 pm 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1611
Location: Los Angeles
That sounds delicious.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:06 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 am
Posts: 489
Sounds great. I have this book, too, but have yet to make anything from it. I wish I still lived in Texas - there are some fun ingredients like cactus but lots of other ingredients too that are more common.

_________________
http://tastespace.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:15 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11586
Location: Maryland/DC area
Cactus is available in MD at various stores, although I swore the ones I saw last time weren't cleaned. In CA stores, if they sell nopales, they normally don't have the prickly parts on them. I just hate cleaning them myself, we grew up with cactus in our backyard so we ate it pretty frequently but I never liked cleaning it.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:58 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 6503
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
Unfortunately when I read this thread title all I get is "colon" which really changes the meaning of the book.

_________________
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus
I got your blood sausage right here, baby. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:17 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:03 pm
Posts: 1428
Location: Knoxville, TN
Moon wrote:
Unfortunately when I read this thread title all I get is "colon" which really changes the meaning of the book.


I thought it was just me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:26 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:34 pm
Posts: 437
Location: Chicago, IL
Agree with above. I thought this was some kind of colon cleanse diet!

Now that I know what the book is actually about, it seems pretty cool! I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if I want to buy it or not. I wish there was a "Look Inside" feature.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:08 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:05 am
Posts: 484
Inspired by this book, I have a huge batch of nixtamal underway. I going to make pozole tomorrow and grind what's left for 10 million tamales this weekend.

I'm noticing a lot of books lately with no "Look Inside." These are the recipes, if that helps, Kidsdoc.

Spoiler: show
Antojitos: Appetizers and Snacks

Cucumber, Jicama, and Mango Sticks
Aguachile de Quinoa
Ceviche de Coliflor
Hopes with Maitake Mushrooms and Corn
Super-Charged Guacamole
Classic Guacamole
Ancho Chiles Stuffed with Guacamole
Mama Chitle's Healthy Popcorn Snack
Spicy Salty Peanuts

Ensaladas: Salads

Classic Nopalito Salad
Nopales "de Colores" Salad
Pachamama Green Salad
Vampiro Beet and Carrot Salad
Kick-Ass Chayote Salad with Pickled Red Onions
Verdolagas and Nectarine Summer Salad
Watercress and Strawberry Salad with Serrano Vinaigrette
Tepary Bean Salad
Colorful Fruit Salad

Sopas y Guisados: Soups and Stews

Chicomecoatl Corn Soup
Chipotle Pumpkin Soup Alchemy
Purépecha Bean Soup
Sopa de Milpa
New Mexican Green Chile Soup
Tortilla Soup
Abuelitas' Lentil Soup
Red Pozole with Medicinal Mushrooms
Healing Green Chileatole
Verdolagas, Beans, and Butternut Squash Stew
Caldo de Quinoa
Chaya Soup with Zucchini, Mint, and Chile

Platos Fuertes: Main Dishes

Chicana Power Chili Beans
Portobello Fajitas
Coyolxauhqui Bowl
Red Pipian over Rice
Chiles Rellenos Remix
Red Enchiladas Stuffed with Potatoes, Greens, and Pumpkin Seeds
Slow-Cooker Stacked Enchiladas
Chilaquiles with Bean Sauce
Kabocha Squash in Pipian Verde
Enmoladas: Tortillas Smothered in Pumpkin Mole
Huaraches de Nopal
Amaranth Pancakes with Mushrooms and Rajas (eggs)

Tacos, Tlacoyos, and Tamales

Hibiscus Flower Tacos
Tacos de Quelites
Sweet Potato Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
Turnip Green Tacos
Tacos de mi Corazón
Tlacoyos con Nopales
Tlacoyos con Quelites
Butternut Squash and Roasted Green Chile Tamalitos
Red Chile Xocotetl Tamalitos

A la Carta: Beans, Tortillas, and Vegetable Sides

Old School Pinto Beans
Soladera Beans
Black Velvet Beans
Corn Tortillas
Mesquite Corn Tortillas
Amaranth Corn Tortillas
Borderlands Whole Wheat Tortillas
Skillet Cornbread (eggs)
Urban Farmer Calabacitas
Greens, Beans, and Chiltpines

Salsas, Sauces, and Toppings

Chipotles en Adobo
Chipotle Salsa
Pico de Gallo
Roasted Guajillo Salsa
Fermented Chile "Hot Sauce"
Chiltepinera Hot Sauce
Raw Green Salsa
Classic Red Chile Sauce
Classic Green Tomatillo Sauce
Home-Brewed Pineapple Vinegar
Pickled Verdolagas
Pickled Red Onions
Fermented Red Cabbage Curtido
Cashew Crema
Requesón de Semilla de Calabaza

Postres y Dulces: Sweet Snacks and Desserts

Pumpkin Empanadas
Candied Pumpkin
Sweet Bean Tamalitos with Raisins
Xocolatamal
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
Chocolate Amaranth Cake (eggs)
Chocolate Pudding with Achiote
Tonantzin Corn Cookies (eggs)
Xoconostles in Honey Syrup
Herbaceous Plum Paletas

Bebidas: Beverages

Prickly Pear Chia Fresca
Watermelon Cucumber Agua Fresca
Cantaloupe Chayote Agua Fresca
Mestiza Horchata with Homegirl Prickly Pear Syrup
Agua de Calabaza
Chicha Morada
Strong Warrior Nopal Smoothie
Mesquite Blueberry Nopal Licuado
Fizzy Water Kefir
Tepache

Desayunos: Breakfasts

Breakfast Papaya
Huevos Urbanos (eggs)
Herb Spiral Tacos (eggs)
Scrambled Egg and Nopalito Tacos (eggs)
Chilaquiles Verdes (eggs)
Sweet Potato Hash
Blackberry Atole
Quinoa con Leche
Chaquewe Blueberry Muffins (eggs)
Cranberry Mesquite Muffins (eggs)
Alegría Power Bars

I've only noted the ones with eggs because the other non-vegan recipes are easy enough to veganize. Some call for honey and others for optional queso fresco that they suggest replacing with cashew crema. I think Kite Hill Original would also be a good sub.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:19 am 
Offline
Taco Scientist
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2795
Location: Austin, TX
Xocolatl wrote:
Inspired by this book, I have a huge batch of nixtamal underway. I going to make pozole tomorrow and grind what's left for 10 million tamales this weekend.

I'm noticing a lot of books lately with no "Look Inside." These are the recipes, if that helps, Kidsdoc.

Spoiler: show
Antojitos: Appetizers and Snacks

Cucumber, Jicama, and Mango Sticks
Aguachile de Quinoa
Ceviche de Coliflor
Hopes with Maitake Mushrooms and Corn
Super-Charged Guacamole
Classic Guacamole
Ancho Chiles Stuffed with Guacamole
Mama Chitle's Healthy Popcorn Snack
Spicy Salty Peanuts

Ensaladas: Salads

Classic Nopalito Salad
Nopales "de Colores" Salad
Pachamama Green Salad
Vampiro Beet and Carrot Salad
Kick-Ass Chayote Salad with Pickled Red Onions
Verdolagas and Nectarine Summer Salad
Watercress and Strawberry Salad with Serrano Vinaigrette
Tepary Bean Salad
Colorful Fruit Salad

Sopas y Guisados: Soups and Stews

Chicomecoatl Corn Soup
Chipotle Pumpkin Soup Alchemy
Purépecha Bean Soup
Sopa de Milpa
New Mexican Green Chile Soup
Tortilla Soup
Abuelitas' Lentil Soup
Red Pozole with Medicinal Mushrooms
Healing Green Chileatole
Verdolagas, Beans, and Butternut Squash Stew
Caldo de Quinoa
Chaya Soup with Zucchini, Mint, and Chile

Platos Fuertes: Main Dishes

Chicana Power Chili Beans
Portobello Fajitas
Coyolxauhqui Bowl
Red Pipian over Rice
Chiles Rellenos Remix
Red Enchiladas Stuffed with Potatoes, Greens, and Pumpkin Seeds
Slow-Cooker Stacked Enchiladas
Chilaquiles with Bean Sauce
Kabocha Squash in Pipian Verde
Enmoladas: Tortillas Smothered in Pumpkin Mole
Huaraches de Nopal
Amaranth Pancakes with Mushrooms and Rajas (eggs)

Tacos, Tlacoyos, and Tamales

Hibiscus Flower Tacos
Tacos de Quelites
Sweet Potato Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
Turnip Green Tacos
Tacos de mi Corazón
Tlacoyos con Nopales
Tlacoyos con Quelites
Butternut Squash and Roasted Green Chile Tamalitos
Red Chile Xocotetl Tamalitos

A la Carta: Beans, Tortillas, and Vegetable Sides

Old School Pinto Beans
Soladera Beans
Black Velvet Beans
Corn Tortillas
Mesquite Corn Tortillas
Amaranth Corn Tortillas
Borderlands Whole Wheat Tortillas
Skillet Cornbread (eggs)
Urban Farmer Calabacitas
Greens, Beans, and Chiltpines

Salsas, Sauces, and Toppings

Chipotles en Adobo
Chipotle Salsa
Pico de Gallo
Roasted Guajillo Salsa
Fermented Chile "Hot Sauce"
Chiltepinera Hot Sauce
Raw Green Salsa
Classic Red Chile Sauce
Classic Green Tomatillo Sauce
Home-Brewed Pineapple Vinegar
Pickled Verdolagas
Pickled Red Onions
Fermented Red Cabbage Curtido
Cashew Crema
Requesón de Semilla de Calabaza

Postres y Dulces: Sweet Snacks and Desserts

Pumpkin Empanadas
Candied Pumpkin
Sweet Bean Tamalitos with Raisins
Xocolatamal
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
Chocolate Amaranth Cake (eggs)
Chocolate Pudding with Achiote
Tonantzin Corn Cookies (eggs)
Xoconostles in Honey Syrup
Herbaceous Plum Paletas

Bebidas: Beverages

Prickly Pear Chia Fresca
Watermelon Cucumber Agua Fresca
Cantaloupe Chayote Agua Fresca
Mestiza Horchata with Homegirl Prickly Pear Syrup
Agua de Calabaza
Chicha Morada
Strong Warrior Nopal Smoothie
Mesquite Blueberry Nopal Licuado
Fizzy Water Kefir
Tepache

Desayunos: Breakfasts

Breakfast Papaya
Huevos Urbanos (eggs)
Herb Spiral Tacos (eggs)
Scrambled Egg and Nopalito Tacos (eggs)
Chilaquiles Verdes (eggs)
Sweet Potato Hash
Blackberry Atole
Quinoa con Leche
Chaquewe Blueberry Muffins (eggs)
Cranberry Mesquite Muffins (eggs)
Alegría Power Bars

I've only noted the ones with eggs because the other non-vegan recipes are easy enough to veganize. Some call for honey and others for optional queso fresco that they suggest replacing with cashew crema. I think Kite Hill Original would also be a good sub.

Well that does it for me! I'm off to by the book, thanks for posting the TOC Xocolatl

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:00 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11586
Location: Maryland/DC area
Yes! buy! and we shall all cook.

My husband asked what decolonize meant (he is purely from european ancestry... Irish to be exact). So I explained to him and he thought the concept was pretty cool plus he is down for corn, nopales and other things :)

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:46 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:05 am
Posts: 484
The Pozole is sooo good! I wasn't sure how I felt about putting maitake mushrooms in it but they blend in nicely. The only problem was that I picked up a bunch of Italian parsley instead of cilantro and didn't feel like going back to the store. We ate it with parsley and it was fine, but it will be that much better tomorrow when I have the right thing.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:59 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:34 pm
Posts: 437
Location: Chicago, IL
Xocolatl wrote:
I'm noticing a lot of books lately with no "Look Inside." These are the recipes, if that helps, Kidsdoc.


Whoa, thanks for this, Xocolatl! The recipe list looks wonderful. I shouldn't buy another cookbook, but I'm so tempted...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:29 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 am
Posts: 489
Xocolatl wrote:
The Pozole is sooo good! I wasn't sure how I felt about putting maitake mushrooms in it but they blend in nicely. The only problem was that I picked up a bunch of Italian parsley instead of cilantro and didn't feel like going back to the store. We ate it with parsley and it was fine, but it will be that much better tomorrow when I have the right thing.

Image


Wow, what a pretty soup!

I made the vampire salad and it was nice. Simple but good. :)

_________________
http://tastespace.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:29 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11586
Location: Maryland/DC area
I keep dreaming about the posole and it is easy to make. I might make it again this weekend.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:09 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11586
Location: Maryland/DC area
I forgot to buy hominy so I made green chile stew instead. It was pretty good. I'm not the biggest fan of potatoes but I liked it. It was nice and spicy and convenient considering I have a ton of frozen hatch chiles.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:03 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11586
Location: Maryland/DC area
Made the posole again, so good that I'm having it for breakfast. I used 2 arbol chiles this time and I liked it better. I still add a ton more oregano than the recipe calls for but I really like it like that.

I am also thinking I'll make this when I go visit my parents over Christmas.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:18 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 am
Posts: 489
Shared my review today along with the recipe for the soldadera beans, a veganized riff of cowboy beans!

Also a chance to win a copy of the book, too.

Enjoy!

https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... -giveaway/

_________________
http://tastespace.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:08 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11586
Location: Maryland/DC area
I need to get back to cooking from this.

Also, I'd say you don't have to live in the SW US to get ingredients. It certainly can help but I haven't had trouble in Maryland finding any ingredients.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decolonize your diet!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:15 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:38 am
Posts: 692
Location: Aarhus, Denmark
I actually first heard about this book via Facebook from an old friend who's now a professor of Latin American studies-- and not vegan or vegetarian. She's been posting photos of all the recipes she's cooked and it always looks amazing! Plus, she is friends with the author, who also indicated being a big fan of Bryant Terry's work (Afro-Vegan, etc). So that seemed really cool to me.

I'd love to buy this but here in Denmark I am importing my own masa and there are hardly any peppers to choose from, just sweet ones... probably it should wait til we move back to the States. But please, anyone else cooking from this, share your pictures!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer