| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Vegan on the Cheap
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

made the Fusili with Potatoes Green Beans and Lemon Basil Creme tonight.
i thought it was ok. kinda basic. came together super duper quick.
i thought the combo of potatoes and pasta was weird because it's starch on starch and the potatoes dont add any flavor but apparently according to the blurb before it potatoes and pasta is a classic italian combo so what do i know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

made a few things recently.

yesterday i made the peanutty pumpkin stew and the curried vegetable salad.

neither me nor my husband liked the stew. it was just weird we thought. it was kinda bland and kinda weird at the same time.

the curried veggie salad we both really liked. that recipe is definitely a keeper.

tonight i made the smoky red bean chili with chipotle cornbread dumplings. it was way too spicy for me. i dont think i can do chipotles. my husband thought it was ok.

i also made the orange chipotle dressed salad with black bean salsa. my husband doesnt like tomatoes so he didnt likethe dressing at all. i thought it was pretty good. the dressing was a little too spicy for me but i just used a little. i also added avocado to it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:55 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

had the french lentil chili tonight (with pardina lentils, cause i didn't have french) it's really tasty, and super easy!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:56 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

can someone who owns this book look something up real quick for me?

does the garden rotini and chickpea salad have lemon juice in the recipe??

i borrowed this book from the library and this recipe i really liked so i typed it out and printed it. in the directions i put something about adding the lemon juice to the dressing and i didnt put lemon juice in the ingredient list.

thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

LisaPunk wrote:
does the garden rotini and chickpea salad have lemon juice in the recipe??

1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:31 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've been cooking from this book for about 3 weeks. I've enjoyed everything so far and have definitely noticed a difference in my grocery bills. Most of the things I've picked so far were recommended in this thread:

~French Lentil Chili (loved the lentil texture in this)
~Smoky Tempeh with Cabbage & Potatoes (I'm thinking of using Sweet Potatoes next time & maybe some kale)
~Three-Bean Loaf with Creamy Mushroom Gravy (The best loaf I've found so far with a delicious gravy)
~Deconstructed Enchilada Bake
~Better Bean Burgers (I loved the simplicity; these will be my go-to burgers)
~Pepperoni-Mushroom Pizza

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:30 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the Cacciatore Noodle Bake last week. I liked it, but thought it could've used some kind of lovely nut parmesan or cashew cream. I did manage to get 6 servings out of it instead of 4 though with having a smaller dish on the side.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've made a few things since getting this book in May.

Pasta slaw: I totally winged the amount of cabbage, and I've never been a huge coleslaw fan, but I liked that the pasta added a bit of substance. In the summer I like to make a few big salads to have in the fridge so we can have triple salad night or something to go with burgers, and this was perfect. Mr Moon and I ate pasta slaw or multiple nights and didn't get bored. Outside of the pasta picking up a bit of a weird hue, it was a nice thing to have in the fridge over a number of days.

White bean and barley salad: I made this with the pasta slaw to have for "salad night". I was amazed at how rich it tasted, the mustard/cashew/soy sauce combo in the dressing was really interesting. I would make this again.

Tonight I made the White Bean and Barley "Risotto" with Kale and Tempeh and I am really pleasantly surprised. Outside of the smokey tempeh not getting quite as brown as I hoped, it is really yummy. I didn't have dried savory (I'm not really sure what the flavour is like on that one) but I remembered it being a component in poultry seasoning, so I went with sage instead. I'm happy I did because the outcome is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

Moon wrote:
Tonight I made the White Bean and Barley "Risotto" with Kale and Tempeh and I am really pleasantly surprised. Outside of the smokey tempeh not getting quite as brown as I hoped, it is really yummy. I didn't have dried savory (I'm not really sure what the flavour is like on that one) but I remembered it being a component in poultry seasoning, so I went with sage instead. I'm happy I did because the outcome is awesome.

Sounds like a good idea. This about.com page lists thyme, marjoram or sage as good substitutes for savory.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I did my best this week to stay under $25 in groceries and meal plan, so I decided to try Mom's Bread and Cabbage Soup. Holy crepe it is good! I think it might now actually be my favourite soup ever. It was very easy to make too.

My only complaint is I think produce is getting even more expensive here, so I didn't meet the serving cost. I paid $4.33 for a small cabbage! And no it wasn't organic :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:29 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

ouch! :-( down here cabbage is usually .75 per lb. (and around st. paddy's day it's .17 per lb)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was given a huge savoy cabbage that I need to come up with a few different ways to use. The first was the farfalle with white beans and cabbage recipe. I used some of her flavour adding recommendations written in the blurb but not the recipe - the red pepper flakes, sage and green onions. It would have been extremely mild without those add ons and was pretty mild still, so at the end I added a bit more margarine and a couple tablespoons of nooch.

It was a nice outcome and would make it again but not something I'm going to go out of my way to buy cabbage for or anything.

I really wish we weren't having such warm weather! All the best looking cabbage recipes are wintery.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

More cabbage! Cabbage and potatoes with smokey tempeh crumbles. I used yves veggie sausage patties instead of tempeh but seasoned them the same way, and served with roasted beets on the side. Also used red potatoes and veggie stock instead of water. This was really surprisingly tasty and incredibly filling.

This book is rapidly becoming my favourite out of/limited produce book. I am finding myself glutted with produce lately but not necessarily all things that go together. But this book is helping me find options for many different basics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5