| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:50 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

10 days to!

Anyone getting? Would like to order, but a bit pricey for me- living in Australia ($40 with shipping from Book Depository), but probably will still get it. Tried her blue ribbon cake, which turned about great (got recipe from preview on Amazon)

Vegan Without Borders shares Robin Robertson's favourite dishes from the great cuisines of the world and shows how cooking vegan makes borders disappear. Whether the recipe hails from Ecuador or Ethiopia, these plant-based dishes invite you to travel the culinary world and sample 150 of Robin's all-time favourites. This mini-immersion into global cooking also reveals that many international cuisines are naturally free of the meat-and-potatoes constraints of the typical Standard American Diet (SAD), and food-loving vegans will delight at the dishes Robin places on her table at home. The recipes are healthy and accessible but without compromising on flavour. The recipes include family-style comfort foods, global ethnic favourites, and creative new dishes inspired by the classics, all developed to satisfy a variety of mealtime desires. The result is a bounty of mouth-watering recipes that span the globe, representing the cooking traditions of more than twenty different countries of Europe, the Americas, Africa, the Middle East, India, and Asia.

Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:46 am 
Nailed to the V

I pre-ordered. I love Robin's recipes and I love international cooking. i'm excited that this is a colour hardcover :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:46 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Looks like a good cookbook. I tried the tamarind chickpeas and they were ok. R liked it more than me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i just saw this on facebook and am intrigued. i think i shall get it from the library when it comes out

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:29 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm a big fan of Robin's Quick Fix cookbooks (especially Quick Fix Vegan) but her other cookbooks can be time consuming for a slower cook like me. So I don't make things out of them as often. (With 1000 Vegan Recipes, the fast recipes are marked and I do make some of those). For that reason, even though I'm very interested, I think I'll wait a few weeks and see what people think of this book as far as the quality of the recipes and also how long they take to make.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:14 am 
Nailed to the V

I actually cancelled my pre-order. (it didn't arrive on release day). and i think i'm actually going to wait to see it in person.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:08 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Once again the "Look Inside" section on Amazon does not include the recipe table of contents. Why?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

I just looked on Amazon; the table of contents and index are both included in the 'look inside' feature. Maybe they just updated this?

I ordered it on my kindle, and love what I see so far. The recipes seem uncomplicated yet delicious. Unfortunately, I've been working way more than any human being should as of late, and don't have time to make anything. I've bookmarked several recipes I'm looking forward to making, though, including Umbrian Lentil Salad, Jackfruit Gyros, Halushki (a noodle and cabbage dish), Portobello Pasties, Chickpea Nuggets w/Buffalo Sauce, Red Bean Stew with Mango, Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower, to name just a few.

My first impression is that this book contains many easy to prepare vegan comfort foods from around the world. As soon as I have time to actually make the recipes, I'll post reviews of those. I also plan to buy a hard copy of the book once I won't have to wait 1-3 weeks for it to be shipped. I like having the kindle version to peruse on break at work, and the hard copy for actually making the recipes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:26 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Grateful wrote:
I just looked on Amazon; the table of contents and index are both included in the 'look inside' feature. Maybe they just updated this?

I ordered it on my kindle, and love what I see so far. The recipes seem uncomplicated yet delicious. Unfortunately, I've been working way more than any human being should as of late, and don't have time to make anything. I've bookmarked several recipes I'm looking forward to making, though, including Umbrian Lentil Salad, Jackfruit Gyros, Halushki (a noodle and cabbage dish), Portobello Pasties, Chickpea Nuggets w/Buffalo Sauce, Red Bean Stew with Mango, Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower, to name just a few.

My first impression is that this book contains many easy to prepare vegan comfort foods from around the world. As soon as I have time to actually make the recipes, I'll post reviews of those. I also plan to buy a hard copy of the book once I won't have to wait 1-3 weeks for it to be shipped. I like having the kindle version to peruse on break at work, and the hard copy for actually making the recipes.

I don't know when they updated the "Look Inside" on Amazon but when I looked it was just the introductory chapters with no list of recipes or index. It's good to know that's changed!

Thanks for your first impressions. I for one would love to read your thoughts on the recipes when you have time to get to them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:43 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I still don't see the index on Amazon.com (US Amazon). There is a table of contents included in their preview but it just lets us know the chapter headings and not the recipe names.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:25 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

LFL wrote:
I still don't see the index on Amazon.com (US Amazon). There is a table of contents included in their preview but it just lets us know the chapter headings and not the recipe names.

I wonder if it's your browser? I can see it on the US Amazon page just fine and I'm using Safari.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

Is this an updated version of any of her older books? I already have Vegan Planet and several of her other books, so I only want this if it's completely new.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:05 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I think this is brand new

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:20 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Iselia wrote:
LFL wrote:

I wonder if it's your browser? I can see it on the US Amazon page just fine and I'm using Safari.

I figured out what it was! I was looking at the preview of the kindle book, and not the preview of the print book. They are different.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:01 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

It looks like the Amazon Prime price has dropped a bit, from $30 to $25.40. Temptation is setting in. I wish there were a few recipes available on the look inside feature, though - the only one I see is for vegetable broth.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:06 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

zinnia wrote:
It looks like the Amazon Prime price has dropped a bit, from $30 to $25.40. Temptation is setting in. I wish there were a few recipes available on the look inside feature, though - the only one I see is for vegetable broth.

There are a couple recipes posted on Robertson's website -- hopefully she'll post more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:18 am 
Inflexitarian

It's funny how you look forward to buying a certain cookbook, but then find when you first flick through it that nothing really inspires you. I felt that way recently when I bought Vegan Tacos. I'm sure I'll eventually make something, but it hasn't been love at first sight. In contrast, I bought Vegan Without Borders a couple of days ago and have already made three things: Umbrian Lentil Salad, Orzo and Chickpea Salad, and Chickpea Nuggets. All have been absolutely delicious, and there are many more recipes I'd like to try. The chickpea nuggets have a really great texture, it's a very good seitan recipe, and the lentil salad is very tasty (I served it at a family dinner and even a staunch lentil-hater loved it). The orzo salad is in the fridge waiting for tonight's dinner.

I really like the accessibility of Robin's books. Most times the recipes are uncomplicated, and the ingredients easy to find - unlike some of the other cookbooks I have with an international focus - without the authenticity being too comprimised. Also, I'm really happy to see the recipes sorted by region. I find Robin's recipes to be very reliable and solid. My only peeve has been the recipes in Fire & Spicy that aren't very hot at all, so I'll be interested to try the Asian recipes in VWB. Actually, some of the recipes in Nut Universe are nice and spicy, so I'm hopeful these will be too.

Weirdly, I own pretty much all of her books except Vegan Planet - everyone seems to have that! One of my very favourites is 1000 Vegan Recipes. It's the most comprehensive cookbook I own, and I've yet to make any dud "filler" recipes, they're all good.

I have the Kindle edition of VWB and it's easy to navigate and linked throughout, including the index. It boggles my mind when new books are released without a linked index, or worse, no index at all.

Tomorrow I might try the Pate au Champignon as I have some mushrooms I need to use, and I love French food. I'm still pretty much lingering in the European section.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:19 am 
Inflexitarian

Oh I forgot! Lots and lots of gorgeous colour photos - although I'd still love to see a cookbook with full page glossy photos for every recipe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:29 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Karena wrote:
In contrast, I bought Vegan Without Borders a couple of days ago and have already made three things: Umbrian Lentil Salad, Orzo and Chickpea Salad, and Chickpea Nuggets. All have been absolutely delicious, and there are many more recipes I'd like to try. The chickpea nuggets have a really great texture, it's a very good seitan recipe, and the lentil salad is very tasty (I served it at a family dinner and even a staunch lentil-hater loved it). The orzo salad is in the fridge waiting for tonight's dinner.

I really like the accessibility of Robin's books. Most times the recipes are uncomplicated, and the ingredients easy to find - unlike some of the other cookbooks I have with an international focus - without the authenticity being too comprimised. Also, I'm really happy to see the recipes sorted by region. I find Robin's recipes to be very reliable and solid. My only peeve has been the recipes in Fire & Spicy that aren't very hot at all, so I'll be interested to try the Asian recipes in VWB. Actually, some of the recipes in Nut Universe are nice and spicy, so I'm hopeful these will be too.

Weirdly, I own pretty much all of her books except Vegan Planet - everyone seems to have that! One of my very favourites is 1000 Vegan Recipes. It's the most comprehensive cookbook I own, and I've yet to make any dud "filler" recipes, they're all good.

I have the Kindle edition of VWB and it's easy to navigate and linked throughout, including the index. It boggles my mind when new books are released without a linked index, or worse, no index at all.

Tomorrow I might try the Pate au Champignon as I have some mushrooms I need to use, and I love French food. I'm still pretty much lingering in the European section.

Thanks Karena. I'm really tempted to purchase this now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:33 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm so excited about this cookbook. Just made the Chickpea and Kale Wat with pearl couscous. Delicious! And it's the first proper food (rather than processed garbage) I've had in weeks. It's a new and special feeling. I love RR's cookbooks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:39 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Have made the Tuscan White Bean soup and the Stay-In Fried Rice also. Both excellent!