| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Soul Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:49 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

So I want to make everything out of this. Where should I start?

Post subject: Re: Vegan Soul Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:05 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Baked BBQ Black-Eyes peas. One of my favorite recipes ever. Definitely add the tempeh as suggested to make it extra hearty and tasty. The recipe is somewhat labor intensive because you make the sauce from scratch and use dried beans, but it's so, so worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

The hot sauce that goes with the black-eyed pea fritters is amazing. (I failed at making the fritters!) I've had that cookbook a super long time, but I've hardly made anything out of it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I wouldn't start with these, but the watermelon rind pickles and gumbo z alone made the book worth buying (for me at least). I also love the BBQ black-eyed peas.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:04 am 
Tofu Pup

The Hoppin' John recipe is delicious!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:10 pm 

I made his fried green tomatoes at least once a week for months after I got the book--I hardly ever got any ripe tomatoes out of my garden because of it! They are so delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:55 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

The "Not-Too-Dirty Rice" is probably my favorite from the book. I love it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:17 am 
Tofu Pup

The pan fried coconut tempeh cubes are delicious and so simple! And my husband LOVED the maple almond granola....declared it one of the best homemade granolas I've made. I also made the BBQ tempeh sandwiches with slaw and they were pretty tasty too!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:00 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Anyone in the UK have this? Is it UK friendly?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't been very motivated to cook out of this one. Most of the recipes seem difficult for fairly simple food. I did make the yam & mustard green soup... didn't like it. And it's rare that I don't like food.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:52 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

You have to make the dipping sauce for the sweet potato fries! I need to make more from this, since I've recently given up on the whole "vegetable box with contents I don't get to pick" thing and bean recipes aren't that practical when you have a mountain of produce to get through on your own.

canuck in scotland wrote:
Anyone in the UK have this? Is it UK friendly?

I have it and off the top of my head, collard greens might be tricky and I have a feeling there might be liquid smoke in there too. Nothing insurmountable, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:06 pm 

Rosemary Tofu, Black eyed pea fritters and hot sauce. A few of my faves. The soups were good too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:56 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Sweet Cornmeal-Coconut Butter Drop Biscuits! These make me sad that my stomach can't digest corn properly. And I think I made the tempeh part of the Tempeh Stuffed Bell Peppers--it involved shaking hot tempeh in cajun spices inside a paper bag and it was both fun and delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:49 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I love this book because most of the recipes are so easy. The citrus collards are awesome, and I make the mustard cornmeal crusted seitan almost every week. It's so quick to make, especially if you use store bought seitan. It also works with tofu.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:00 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

The hoppin' john and the citrus collards alone make the entire book worthwhile. I skip the raisins in the collards, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

creep wrote:
I haven't been very motivated to cook out of this one. Most of the recipes seem difficult for fairly simple food.

I have this issue, too. Maybe I've just picked the wrong recipes, but they all are just so labor intensive for me. Plus there's a lot in here that I think I would be alone in eating, so my choices are limited.

Now, with that said, the blackened tempeh and grits-one of my favorites! But I do modify the use of the cherry tomatoes with either a chopped regular tomato or canned (because I'm cheap).

The Jamaican Veggie Patties are pretty much part of my regular rotation. I liked the black eyed pea fritters but I think something about the habenero sauce just didn't sit well with my stomach. It wasn't even that hot and had a great flavor, it just made me feel so queasy that I couldn't stand it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

bekki wrote:
creep wrote:
I haven't been very motivated to cook out of this one. Most of the recipes seem difficult for fairly simple food.

I have this issue, too. Maybe I've just picked the wrong recipes, but they all are just so labor intensive for me. Plus there's a lot in here that I think I would be alone in eating, so my choices are limited.

Now, with that said, the blackened tempeh and grits-one of my favorites! But I do modify the use of the cherry tomatoes with either a chopped regular tomato or canned (because I'm cheap).

The Jamaican Veggie Patties are pretty much part of my regular rotation. I liked the black eyed pea fritters but I think something about the habenero sauce just didn't sit well with my stomach. It wasn't even that hot and had a great flavor, it just made me feel so queasy that I couldn't stand it.

I have that issue with a few books/recipes. Maybe it's because I'm an experienced cook?, but I can usually find an easier way with a fussy recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:29 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

creep wrote:

This. I made a bunch of recipes from this book but basically gave up on it because everything takes for-fucking-ever to make. I'm totally willing to spend an hour and a half or two hours making a good meal, but this was ridiculous and not worth the effort.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:37 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I feel like I am in bizarro world because I feel like this book has the easiest and quickest recipes. It's totally the one I go to when I don't have much time. We are all talking about the one by Bryant Terry, right?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:53 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Adah wrote:
creep wrote:

This. I made a bunch of recipes from this book but basically gave up on it because everything takes for-forking-ever to make. I'm totally willing to spend an hour and a half or two hours making a good meal, but this was ridiculous and not worth the effort.

I felt this way about the tempeh packets recipe and I dint even make the 'shroom stock from scratch.

I like the book on the whole and it has some recipes I plan to make again for sure, but I do find it a bit labor intensive in some respects.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

abbierae wrote:
I feel like I am in bizarro world because I feel like this book has the easiest and quickest recipes. It's totally the one I go to when I don't have much time. We are all talking about the one by Bryant Terry, right?

That's what I'm talking about anyway.

Let us know of the quick recipes you make. I really haven't really tried a lot from this book and have been pleased with the things I made but I do agree that some of what I've made seems like it took lots of work to arrive at the end result and I can think of comparable recipes I like just as much that can get the job done quicker.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

LaurenL wrote:
Baked BBQ Black-Eyes peas. One of my favorite recipes ever. Definitely add the tempeh as suggested to make it extra hearty and tasty. The recipe is somewhat labor intensive because you make the sauce from scratch and use dried beans, but it's so, so worth it.

This really is great; even my husband who doesn't really like beans or barbeque loved it. But most of the recipes call for too much oil for my taste.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:06 am 
Shopped till she dropped

Tonight I made the Butternut Squash & Barlett Pear soup. From start to finish, it was probably around an hour. It's the first dish I've made from this book. It was really simple and subtle, with a lovely flavor.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:32 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

The BBQ tempeh sandwich was awesome, but time consuming. LOVE the sauce. My boyfriend hates tempeh and he even liked this one. This is my favorite way to cook tempeh now.

I made the Garlic Braised brussel sprouts for thanksgiving, and it was easy. I made the garlic broth too, and it took an hour, but most of that was just simmer time. They were really good. good leftover too.

I like this book too, but they all seem so time consuming as well. gonna try those black eye peas next :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I really like this cookbook! I think there's a pretty even split of easy and complicated recipes. I really appreciate how healthy it is, too.

I love the smothered seitan medallions. Also, the pickled watermelon rind surprised me and the boyfriend, and everyone I had try them with thier tastiness.

The bf made me the veggie patties with the creamed corn on the side for my birthday--both were delicious.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next