| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat May 28, 2016 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: “Zen and the art of plain cooking”??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:32 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I just cannot stand recipes that use cans of beans! Not only are canned beans full of toxic chemicals from the can liners, like epoxy but they have way too much sodium.

I was trying to figure out how much cooked beans to replace it with. 2 cups of beans is about 16 oz.....but how much dry chickpeas does it take to make the 16 oz, well cooked????

I did find the notes on page 43 that is supposed to tell you how to cook beans but all it had was time, aprox the same for all the beans. I know from experience that it takes more water for chickpea beans, like 3.5cups or more per cup of dried beans, in my pressure cooker, for at least two hours of simmering in a pressure cooker near sea level.

Even that is not quit what the recipe wants. If I were in the habit of following recipes exactly it would be imposable to make it work.

The Veginomicon recipe for Humus wants 2 cans (15 oz @) of garbanzo beans that are obviously not cooked enough to mash without a machine.

Then there is the pea soup, it says to use a pound of split peas. Well how am I supposed to now how much a cup of split peas weighs?? And the herbs; I don't have Tarragon, what can I use in place of it???? This is not a cook book, it is a recipe' book.

What I need is a book that tells how to cook; options and perimeters of basic vegan food with out industrialized food stuffs. It should tell things like how pepper's acid and even ginger is destroyed to some degree by cooking; so it would be better to add those after cooking, if you want them full strength.

I have been trying to learn how to cook food from recipe books for way too long. Every one I know hates cooking because they have the same problems with recipes. Not having the right ingredients and no time to or energy to figure out how to re-do the recipe.

Just understanding how to make food is muddled beyond belief by recipes!!!!!!!! I used to have a copy of the Tassahara cook book, I learned a lot from it. Maybe I should just get a copy of the Vegetarian Flavor Bible, and ignore the cheese? But that does not tell all the little secrets of how to cook food. The Joy of Cooking comes close but it is full of dead meat. Is there one called the “Zen and the art of cooking”??

Post subject: Re: “Zen and the art of plain cooking”??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:47 pm 
WRETCHED

So just on the canned beans front, there are plenty of bean containers that are BPA free (various companies and Wegman's store brand). You can also rinse the sodium or buy sodium free beans.

Having said that, have you tried just looking at a conversion chart like this:
http://central-market.com/brochures/coo ... ied-beans/

Also, a lot of people use a kitchen scale but if you don't have one, google is your friend, a pound of split peas is approximately 2.25 cups. As for tarragon and other herbs, I found this chart via google:
http://www.herbbee.com/cooking/herb-sub ... n-recipes/

I don't know of any cookbooks, let alone vegan cookbooks, that go into food science. There are many books out there that do go into it though so I'd google food science books and find one you like. If you find one, feel free to share but if you have any questions or issues with recipes, feel free to ask.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:51 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

You can use whatever herb you want for split pea soup, really. You can google split pea soup and look at different recipes to come up with ideas.

If you buy a package of split peas it will have how much it weighs on the package. If you buy them in bulk there should be a scale.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:52 pm 

From a google search:

1 can (15½ ounces) cooked beans, drained = 1⅔ cups cooked beans
1 pound (2 cups) dry uncooked beans = 5 to 6 cups cooked beans
1 pound (2¼ cups) dry uncooked split peas = 5 cups cooked split peas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Most of this is pretty easy to find online now, so fortunately I don't think you have to buy a special book, especially a meaty one. Serious Eats and Americas test Kitchen have a lot of this info (but they do mention non-vegan things). It would be nice to have a resource where basic skills are compiled. I'm not sure if that exists. I do like the books, "on food and cooking" and "the food lab". They are not vegan, FYI.

Not to derail, but I think it's good to mention that the BPA levels in canned foods are much lower (orders of magnitude) than what has found to be harmful in animal models. That's not to say that you should buy BPA-lined cans if you don't want to, just that a lot of the information out there is not based in science or they draws misleading conclusions. Dose matters, a lot. Many people don't have the time or inclination to cook beans, so I'm glad the canned forms exist. I read the literature and determined that for me, the BPA levels are safe. Also, like linanil said, you can buy BPA-free cans.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:40 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I really need a book about inventing food....not more recipes. I hate measuring.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:25 pm 
WRETCHED

I suggest that you go to Amazon then and look for books on food science.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:55 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

jawnn wrote:
I really need a book about inventing food....not more recipes. I hate measuring.

I think that if you're wanting to "invent" food, you probably don't need (or want) a book...? Just try stuff? Take notes? Iterate?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

If you don't know how to cook, following recipes for a while is probably the best way to learn. Once this comfortable with different types of recipes it's pretty easy to branch out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

For the split peas, usually it says on the bag (like if you buy the Goya brand) that it's 16 oz. of split peas. That's a pound. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:45 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

ya books are an irritation, except the vegetarian flavor bible.

I once told a friend that I knew how to cooks a cake with out a recipe', they did not believe me, though I had a recipe in my head.

but really it all it comedown to is the relation between water and flour and livening. maybe I should start a blog. but I do not live on the internet like most people seem to have it in their pocket. I would put a nail through it if it were that invasive. I have to ride my 70lb bicycle 8 miles round trip to the library for the internet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

woah a 70 pound bike? crazytown.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:13 pm 
WRETCHED

My mom who has baked all her life still double checks recipes when she bakes (her go to baking book is Betty Crocker, she has modified to make recipes vegan).

Yes, you can cook without recipes, I cook (not bake) all the time without recipes, I've been cooking since I was 8 years old though and cooked a lot with my mom. I like recipes for learning new techniques and once I learn new techniques, I can adapt things. I've actually become a much better cook by following recipes because I used to modify before trying a recipe which meant sometimes recipes didn't come out right. I also pretty much refused to bake but I can bake bread now without a recipe because I have done it so many times that I have a general idea of what is required for bread and I can just modify. I mean basics being flour, yeast, salt, water and you can adjust by adding oil, using soy milk, adding different types of flour, adding flax meal, etc, etc. I never knew this though until I personally started following recipes.

Again, the concept of cooking is in the realm of food science and there are a ton of books on it. Cooks Illustrated is an interesting cookbook series that tried various versions of cooking something before recommended 'the best' way. I was collecting their cookbooks before I became vegan because it was interesting to read and they did have a vegetarian version but it is pretty cheesy/eggy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:30 pm 

I mean, if you don't need a cook book...don't use one? If you don't like using the internet don't do that either? If your food tastes good anyway then, good, if it doesn't you might need to change your strategies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

fupapack wrote:

my exact thought!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:37 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

A good book for explaining how to come up with your own recipes and bean cooking info is Romancing The Bean by Joanne saltzman. It's mostly vegan. I think the only no vegan thing is ghee? Maybe honey. Either way, easily veganized.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian or The Food Lab. Both not vegan, but you want science and basics.

For me, I learned to cook following recipes and that was what I needed to understand food. I still geek out over The Food Lab though, and I learn a lot. I also read a tonne of non-vegan cookbooks. After a while, you get the hang of things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:32 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

fupapack wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:50 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

it maybe only 60lbs but when I built it it weighed about 45lbs then I added boxes and bags and tools and a 5lb lock and water bottle, and fiannly a heavy duty stainless steel rack on the rear. But that is still light compared to how much cargo i can carry up some of the worst hills. I live car free.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... cle-Truck/

Olives wrote:
fupapack wrote:

my exact thought!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:52 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Here is a page by some one else that believes in non recipe's
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ut-recipes

I will put that book on my list, thanks

Butternut wrote:
A good book for explaining how to come up with your own recipes and bean cooking info is Romancing The Bean by Joanne saltzman. It's mostly vegan. I think the only no vegan thing is ghee? Maybe honey. Either way, easily veganized.

Last edited by jawnn on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:53 pm 

I usually cook without recipes, but I learned how to do it by at first cooking from recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:06 pm 
WRETCHED

I guess my philosophy is that if I had cooked intuitively, I'd be making Mexican food for the rest of my life which isn't bad but I like to branch out cooking Italian, Indian, Ethiophian, Middle eastern, Chinese, Japanese, Thai and yes American. Basically, foods I didn't grow up eating, maybe have experienced in restaurants, maybe not. I mean if that is the philosophy you want to follow, then go for it and let us know how it goes, I just don't think most people haven't learned how to cook intuitively, but rather learned by following someone else and if that someone else wasn't someone in the kitchen, it was someone's cookbooks or videos or tv chef.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:06 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

The Kitchn did a series on cooking by feel. The flavor profiles (Indian, Latin American, and so on) are useful. But you still need to know how to cook basics before you can experiment with flavors.

http://www.thekitchn.com/search?q=cooking+by+feel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:05 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

jawnn wrote:
it maybe only 60lbs but when I built it it weighed about 45lbs then I added boxes and bags and tools and a 5lb lock and water bottle, and fiannly a heavy duty stainless steel rack on the rear. But that is still light compared to how much cargo i can carry up some of the worst hills. I live car free.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... cle-Truck/

Olives wrote:
fupapack wrote:

my exact thought!

Oh, it's a cycletruck. That's a bit different than a bike.