| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Desserts by Chloe Coscarelli
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the beer/whiskey cupcakes were on her blog before the dessert cookbook came out and i made them several months ago with no issues.

they came out really good. i do think i also had to bake them the full time too.

the only difference i noticed when the book came out is the caramel topping is different now. it's a fig caramel now?

my husband really lucked them but he likes beer so it was an obvious win.

if someone has a recipe for an IPA style beer vegan cupcake i might be in trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:48 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made the Chocolate Beer recipe as a layer cake instead of cupcakes. Doubled the cake recipe, and it made 3 9-inch round layers. The cake turned out wonderfully moist and delicious! It baked for just 20 minutes, but I can't remember what the original recipe's cook time is. As for the frosting, I ended up going in a different direction and I didn't do the Whiskey Buttercream. I did not want boozy frosting this time; the beer in the cake batter was enough for us. Yummy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:39 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i feel the need to come back and say the frosting on the mint cookies and cream seemed better the day after i baked them.

im not sure i understand why as ive never heard of baked goods getting better with age but it was most like a normal cupcake and not like a mouth of crisco the second day

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the chocolate donoughts today. I was skeptical as we did not like the donoughts in Chloe's Kitchen. These ones were much better and my whole family really enjoyed them. In fact I thinnk I'll serve them as an easter dessert with cute Easter sprinkles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:55 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

We made the basil lemonade with and without vodka for a get-together at our house. I had to add 1 cup of water to the batch, for my taste. It was amazing and everyone loved it! The flavors were great.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I got a chance to page through this book and Barnes & noble yesterday, which convinced me to buy it...on Amazon, of course. I wish the amazon look inside feature wasnt so stingy. Anyways, Inwas happy to see there are a lot of unique recipes!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:35 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I grew up in NY, and while I technically still live in NY it is practically in Canada. Anyway, the FIRST thing I saw when I opened this book was perfection *sigh*. I know I shouldn't need an excuse to make it, but I can't bake and eat and entire NY style crumb cake all by myself. Next time my family comes to visit though, you can be SURE it will be waiting for them (with a corner piece taken out).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:03 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I made the chocolate babka for my office potluck. The dough was very easy to handle (I kneaded by hand), but I found that I did need to proof the yeast by adding it to the liquid mixture.
In the end, I didn't try it but it was a lot of fun to make and the end result looked good. Not hard, but time consuming. And my colleagues really enjoyed it and asked for the recipe :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:39 am 

dragonssister wrote:
We made the basil lemonade with and without vodka for a get-together at our house. I had to add 1 cup of water to the batch, for my taste. It was amazing and everyone loved it! The flavors were great.

That's good to know! It sounds so completely strange, but Chloe hasn't let me down yet. I think I need to try this when it warms up outside.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:54 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I made the Lemon Olive-oil bundt cake.

It was nice. Slightly peppery from the Evoo and very lemony. It didn't blow me away, but it's nice with a cup of vanilla chai for a mid afternoon snack.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Mixed Berry Cake with Coconut Whipped Topping. It was really good. So far, all of the items I have made from this book have been great. This was surprising easy to throw together for a cake recipe. Its a double layer cake and at first I thought it was too much cake and I should freeze one layer. After putting it together it was just perfect, I'm glad I went with the two layers. I would make this again for special occasions or gatherings. The Coconut Whipped Topping will be made quite a bit in this house.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:35 pm 

I made the lemon raspberry tart for Easter. It was a big hit with everyone, vegan and non. The filling tasted surprisingly like non-vegan custard, which I thought was amazing given the simple ingredients (coconut milk, sugar, corn starch, zest and extracts).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:51 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

brontrent wrote:
I made the chocolate donoughts today. I was skeptical as we did not like the donoughts in Chloe's Kitchen. These ones were much better and my whole family really enjoyed them. In fact I thinnk I'll serve them as an easter dessert with cute Easter sprinkles.

That's great to know. The only doughnuts I've made so far that we've loved were from Vegetarian Times.

I have the book, but haven't made anything from it yet. I think I'll try the Raspberry Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes first.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:58 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I made the hot-fudge-in-the-bottom cake. It was delish with vegan vanilla ice cream as a pud. Very moist...However, I do have to warn you that the pan you use should be very deep. My sauce bubbled over and burnt at the bottom of my oven, which I'm now in the process of cleaning, ick. My pan was medium deep, but obviously not enough. So my cake did not have enough sauce, but it was still nommy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hello folks. I made the salted caramel cupcakes and the cinnamon mocha cupcakes. Both turned out beautifully.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Next up on my list is the apple pie!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:02 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My mom just made the apple pie last night and it is by far the best I've ever tasted!!!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've got the pie in the oven, and maybe my own measuring was messed up this morning, but the crust is pretty crazy soft and even though I crimped it onto the edges as directed, it's falling off a bit and was a heck of a mess to layout, both top and bottom.....OR just maybe, all this shortening is going to make for THE FLAKIEST, MOST AMAZING PIE CRUST OF MY LIFE.
To be continued!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Pie results...I don't know. I'm not happy about it, and the bottom crust seems to have uhhhh, soaked into the filling and the crust is very dry, so I'm blaming my measuring and forgetting or adding half a cup somewhere? Julialegume seemed to like her curious piece, though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:20 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I made the Salted Caramel cupcakes and I too had some grease issues. The bottoms of the liners were VERY oily. They also didn't end up rising properly. They didn't sink exactly either(though they looked like they were going to when I checked them), they were just sort of flat. They also stuck to the liners the first day, but not so much after that, I'm guessing cause of the greasiness. BUT, all that said, I still really liked them! The cake was yummy and really moist and the taste was great especially with the frosting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

vegcasserole wrote:
I made the hot-fudge-in-the-bottom cake. It was delish with vegan vanilla ice cream as a pud. Very moist...

Just made this and it was really yummy....it wasn't as sweet as I thought it would be (a good thing). I flipped it over when I put onto the plate so the hot fudge was on the top. I didn't have the patience to wait beyond 15 minutes so it was really gooey but it was all good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 am 

PSA: The chocolate chip cookie pie is amazing. (It's a giant cookie in a pie crust. What's not to like?) My only complaint was that the recipe was not clear on how to tell when the pie was done. I just took it out when the pie crust started to look nice and brown.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:03 pm 

bcakes wrote:
PSA: The chocolate chip cookie pie is amazing. (It's a giant cookie in a pie crust. What's not to like?) My only complaint was that the recipe was not clear on how to tell when the pie was done. I just took it out when the pie crust started to look nice and brown.

Do you happen to remember about how long you baked it? I am so tempted by this recipe!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:33 pm 

I don't have the book with me, so I can't tell you the exact time. I checked it at the minimum time and then stuck it back in for about 2 more minutes. I judged entirely by how done the crust looked because there were no instructions on whether the cookie should be firm in the middle or anything like that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:52 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I made the German Chocolate Cake this weekend and it turned out so good! I screwed up cooking timings, but not the book's fault. It made a massive cake, so loads of leftovers for breakfast ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next