| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Desserts by Chloe Coscarelli
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the double crust fudge bars and oh my god so good.
they were super fast and easy to make other than you have to chill them overnight so they set.

i didnt put parchment paper in the pan because i suck at parchment paper but i did spray it well but it was a bit hard to cut out but other than that yum yum yum!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the pumpkin cinnamon rolls this weekend and I'm not sure what happened. They came out like tiny little hockey pucks. I made this recipe before and they were great, so tasty. I remember it made a ton of huge rolls and we gave a bunch of them away. This time I made the entire recipe and only baked 1/2 the dough and threw the other half in the freezer. Being lazy, I didn't melt the EB butter, just slathered it on. When I baked them it all melted and released all the filling into a pool of goo in the pan. I used a smaller pan than before and they just shrunk in the pan. It was truly sad to look at. We ate them still, they were still pretty tasty but I was just so disappointed. I have no idea what happened. Perhaps just not warm enough during the two risings. It was frightfully cold this weekend and perhaps that affected them. I'll give it another try sometime but it might be awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:15 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

My brownies turned out great! Fudgy and crackly on the top.

For me they were done at 40 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:56 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I am so sad, but I don't like this cookbook! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chloe's kitchen and it is always on my countertop. But I tried a few recipes from this book and all were failures. :( Either way too greasy or just tasted 'fake'. So sad because it is such a beautiful book!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:50 pm 

made the peanut better fudge with good success added a bit of salt to cut down on the sweetness.

Reminded me of Reese peanut butter cups (which I missed)

I think this is a good cookbook. Easy and supermakert friendly ingredients.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:48 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I just made Chloe's coconut cake for an Easter celebration tomorrow. Followed her cake recipe but used the vanilla buttercream (with 1/4 tsp almond extract added) from VCTOTW. I was not sure if I would like a frosting made with all shortening, which is why I did not use her recipe. I hope it tastes as good as it looks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:07 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I made two things from this book this weekend. I made the Blondies and the Peanut Butter Cookies. The Blodies were not that great, wouldn't make them again. However the Peanut Butter Cookies were delicious. I made them on Thurs evening to serve as one of my desserts for a meal I was hosting the next night. They didn't make it, my family devoured them. I had to make a second batch but realized I was now out of brown sugar. They taste great with white sugar too :) Also in the second batch I threw some chocolate chips in half of the batter and it was a great addition.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:49 am 

Strawberry shortcake. I used cake and pastry flour and added vanilla bean to the cream. Yum!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:56 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

That looks so lovely!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:04 am 

Moon wrote:
That looks so lovely!

Thanks! tasty too!

I'm truley amazed by that coconut cream!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm not a huge dessert person and I rarely like cake, but her Happy Birthday Cake recipe from Chloe's Kitchen is SO VERY awesome! I've had omni relatives request me to make it for their birthdays. I may have to spring for the dessert book just based on this one recipe!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:59 pm 

Made the brownies again. Cooked for 25 minutes instead of 40 (as they were a bit dry at 40 last time).

Turned out really dry and crumbly at 25 min!

Bit disappointed at the waste of ingredients and 25 min does not see like long to overcook.

Wondering if this recipe needs 1 cup of soy milk as opposed to the 1/2 cup it calls for.

The batter is super thick!

I wonder if using cake and pastry flour may have been the culprit? I also didn't beat in the Mixmaster this time (just stirred with a wooden spoon)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:35 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I think Chloe's books are perfect for the new or picky vegan, and for food to serve to omnivores. There are many beautiful photographs, and the recipes are always very simple with ingredients that are easy to find in any grocery store. I like to cook elaborate meals and desserts, but I turn often to Chloe's books because I know that usually, I won't be disappointed.

In Chloe's Vegan Desserts, I've tried about 25 recipes. My favorites are:

1) Chocolate chip cookies. They're the best vegan chocolate chip cookies I have come across, and this is the recipe I always turn to now when I bake some; I use 70% dark chocolate bars that I chop up.
2) Sourdough french toast. I actually made these with rye bread. I was so surprised at how quick these came together. The omni I served them to didn't believe me I didn't put eggs.
3) Baklava. I was intimidated at first, because I thought baklavas would be super complicated to make, but they came together fairly easily. They were amazing and no one guessed there was no honey in these.
4) Chocolate orange cupcakes with candied orange peel. These were SUCH a hit. I modified them by using the "buttercream" to frost them and so I didn't put any chocolate ganache, and I candied orange slices rather than just the peels. Also, as for all her buttercream recipes, I went the VCTOW way and put half margarine and half shortening, as I cannot stand a shortening-only buttercream. Definitely make these to impress a crowd.

I really want to try her Rosemary ice cream with blueberry sauce, Chocolate hazelnut gelato, and Pistachio pots de crème!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:48 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i gave my husband my copy of this book and told him to pick something out that i would make him for father's day. he picked the mocha mud pie.

he seemed to really like it. im not 100% sold but i think it has more to do with personal preference than the actual recipe.

#1 it really is just ice cream dumped into a cookie shell pie which is tasty for sure but not super creative
#2 my selection for non-dairy ice cream around here is limited. i used So Delicious mocha almond fudge ice cream.
#3 i LOVE coffee but im not that into coffee ice cream for some reason. and since this had almonds in the ice cream when you thaw it all the almonds sink to the bottom. i didnt personally like that (again my preference not the recipe)
#4 i fail so hard at coconut whipped cream. ive only tried twice and both times it is fail sauce. this time i chilled the coconut milk like overnight in the back of the fridge where it's coldest and there really wasnt anything solid per se. there was the cream at the top but it was still liquidy. i also thought it tasted WAY TOO MUCH like powdered sugar.

so yeah not my favorite recipe from this book but mostly because of my own personal tastes. if i made it again i probably would use a different flavor ice cream.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:39 pm 

LisaPunk, for the coconut whipped cream, one thing I have noticed is that every brand is different. Some brands, the liquid will never turn into cream no matter how long it is in the fridge, and some brands are just always in a cream state even at room temperature. So, I think a solution would simply be trying other brands. I think Thai Kitchen is a safe bet.

As for the sugar, I usually go for the OSG way (http://ohsheglows.com/2012/08/30/coconu ... -tutorial/). I add 2 tsp of cane sugar, and a bit of vanilla.

Hope this helps! It's just so awesome with strawberries.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Lisa, if it makes you feel better, I've been too scared to try coconut whipped cream. I'm going to have to give it a few test runs before I actually use it on a dessert I give people.

I've seen "coconut cream" in aseptic packs at the grocery store.... Does anyone know if this stuff works?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:12 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i typically just make the Rad Whip from one of the Isa/Terry dessert books if im serving it to people other than me and my husband. it's labor intensive as hell but it usually is more of an actual cream than a liquid. ive never gotten that to form peaks like real whipped cream either but it comes out better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:26 am 

I made the pistachio pots de crème. I have a Magic Bullet and so it's not Vitamix-style powerful; the texture wasn't perfectly silky smooth like in the picture, buuut it was so good!! Very rich and decadent, so maybe I'd make six portions instead of four next time and serve it with fruits.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im making the pots de creme tonight to serve tomorrow after dinner. it just says to refrigerate them it doesnt say anything about covering them. should i cover them while they are in the fridge?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:56 pm 

I personnally covered them with plastic wrap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok thanks i think i will do the same

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:17 pm 

Just made the Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls (minus the raisins). They taste really great, actually made 18 rather than 12 (all regular size), but I have to say the pumpkin taste is quite subtle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:17 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made the double crust fudge bars a few days ago and they were fantastic. The crust is always my favorite part so these were perfect. Also very easy to make other than the letting them sit overnight part. I think I cut out a corner piece after about four hours because I couldn't wait. I feel like I have a pretty intense sweet tooth but I was totally fine with just one of these at a time. They are really rich with all that ganache.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6