| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I adore pistachios; always have.

As a kid, everybody else wanted strawberry or whatever and I just wanted pistachio.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:21 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

FYI, this book is currently only $12.89 on Amazon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:48 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

willwolf wrote:
FYI, this book is currently only $12.89 on Amazon.

Argh! I bought mine for 18.99 or something! Grumble.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

If you ordered it within the last week, Amazon will refund the difference.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:39 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Damn you, PPK! Facilitating my cookbook addiction! I just had to go and check the UK kindle price! Also, damn you Amazon and your "one-click" buying options. Grumble grumble...

And now I must go to the kitchen to gorge myself on nuttery buttery delights!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:55 am 
Smuggling Raisins

akasha wrote:

I looked on Amazon and can't figure out where to go to get the partial refund. Can you tell me how you did that? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:56 am 
Saggy Butt

I emailed them and asked - it was about something else, that dropped radically in price the day after I bought it, but they said that was their policy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

So... has anyone made anything from this yet? If so, what recipes and how did you like them?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:36 pm 

Yep!

Made the Smoke and Spice Almond Hummus. It was nice; the difference between using almond butter vs. tahini in the hummus is subtle, but a good change of pace.

Next, I tried the Sweet Potato Soup with Almond Butter (or some such title). I love winter veggies in soup, and I love sweet potatoes in particular. The almond butter gave it that extra dimension of creamy richness that was just so comforting and luxurious. Awesome cold weather grub.

I also made the Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini Sauce. OMG. The Tahini Sauce was to die for. Much like the Red Hot Tahini from the PPK blog, I found myself wanting to use it on virtually everything in sight. Totally addictively yum.

I also made the Apple Pancakes. I don't remember the full name of the recipe. Very simple to make, very quick to disappear when I made them for the family!

Last but not least, the Soba and Edamame with Tahini Sauce. Another quick to put together, easy to make dish that was thoroughly enjoyed. Easily adaptable to whatever you've got lying around such as different vegetables, etc.

So, my verdict thus far with the book is that everything I've made has been a success. I'll have to pull it back out and try some more stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:58 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks for the feedback, beethecookie!
I just got back from the Turkish part of Cyprus where I gorged myself on tahini. Now I'm missing eating it all day, haha. I will def have to give that cauliflower dish a try. Sounds delicious!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:36 pm 

ComradeSquirrel wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, beethecookie!
I just got back from the Turkish part of Cyprus where I gorged myself on tahini. Now I'm missing eating it all day, haha. I will def have to give that cauliflower dish a try. Sounds delicious!

That trip sounds amazing! I'm jealous; Turkish cuisine is one of my faves.

I remembered that I also made the Almond Quinoa Fireballs. They were good snacky food. Without the spicy sauce, they kinda almost tasted like they could be a peanut butter ball that you would eat for dessert, so if I make them again I would season the balls themselves a bit more heavily.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:10 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

akasha wrote:

How long ago did they refund the difference? I asked around Christmas time and they told me it was just the chance you take because their prices go up & down. (thank you)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:23 pm 

Kweldon wrote:
akasha wrote:

How long ago did they refund the difference? I asked around Christmas time and they told me it was just the chance you take because their prices go up & down. (thank you)

Amazon's return policy on ebooks is that they will accept returns within a week of purchase. If there's something wrong with the ebook file, they will try to help fix it, or give you a refund even after a week.

I'm not sure of their policy on print books, but regardless of the policy, and regardless of the book's format, I would contact their customer service department by phone whenever there is a problem. Amazon is intensely dedicated to customer service and will typically do a lot to leave you satisfied. I have had multiple interactions with them and the result has almost always been satisfactory to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:23 pm 

beethecookie wrote:
So, my verdict thus far with the book is that everything I've made has been a success. I'll have to pull it back out and try some more stuff!

Thanks so much for this feedback!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:36 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I've made the Quinoa and Black Beans w/Cashew Queso Sauce twice - tastes great.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:40 pm 
WRETCHED

I made the Quinoa and Black beans w/ Cashew Queso Sauce and it was kind of just ok? I mean it is decent but I decided to add a ton of Frank's to my queso sauce because I thought it needed it. My husband said it was just kind of ok although he liked the cilantro.

Then today, I decided to make the West African peanut soup and... it was kind of just blah? I decided to change it up quite a bit added some beans, tomato paste and some curry powder. It really needed something. I've made various versions of this recipe and they always tasted good, this one just didn't. Once I added the curry powder and tomato paste it was really tasty.

I have the ingredients for the Soba w/ Edamame but I'm starting to fear that it'll be blah as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:02 pm 

linanil wrote:
I made the Quinoa and Black beans w/ Cashew Queso Sauce and it was kind of just ok? I mean it is decent but I decided to add a ton of Frank's to my queso sauce because I thought it needed it. My husband said it was just kind of ok although he liked the cilantro.

Then today, I decided to make the West African peanut soup and... it was kind of just blah? I decided to change it up quite a bit added some beans, tomato paste and some curry powder. It really needed something. I've made various versions of this recipe and they always tasted good, this one just didn't. Once I added the curry powder and tomato paste it was really tasty.

I have the ingredients for the Soba w/ Edamame but I'm starting to fear that it'll be blah as well.

Whoa, that's bad news. I have this cookbook but haven't made anything out of it yet. I was waiting to hear what people liked. Let us know how the soba recipe works out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:00 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

The quinoa and black beans with queso sauce is great! My brother had the idea to make enchiladas out of them. We construct enchiladas out of the filling and corn tortillas then we pour a double batch of the sauce over them and bake. It really takes the dish to a whole new level.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:26 pm 
WRETCHED

LFL wrote:
linanil wrote:

Whoa, that's bad news. I have this cookbook but haven't made anything out of it yet. I was waiting to hear what people liked. Let us know how the soba recipe works out.

Well I think in general, Robin Robertson's recipes are kind of bland but I've still enjoyed the ones I've had in the past in other books. I've usually doubled any spices or what not from her recipes but the west african peanut soup had none? I mean other than garlic (I should've doubled) and salt and pepper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:19 pm 

linanil wrote:
Well I think in general, Robin Robertson's recipes are kind of bland but I've still enjoyed the ones I've had in the past in other books. I've usually doubled any spices or what not from her recipes but the west african peanut soup had none? I mean other than garlic (I should've doubled) and salt and pepper.

I own a bunch of her cookbooks, my favorite being Quick Fix Vegan. If Nut Butter Universe is no blander than usual, I should be okay. It sounds like the West African Peanut Soup recipe was unusually bland, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:58 am 
Inflexitarian

I just bought the Kindle version for $8.26 - what a bargain! I cook with nuts a lot, so this book really appeals to me. I wish there were recipe links from the chapter title pages, but at least there are from the contents - but no index! There's a Gluten and soy free index of sorts, but no links to the recipes from there which sort of defeats the purpose. The few photos are small and blurry. I think it's just one of those books that's been lazily digitised.