| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Crazy, Sexy Kitchen
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't see anyone getting angry, and I don't really understand why every time a book doesn't get rave reviews here, someone will show up and say that we only like Isa. That's clearly not true, considering how many books have amazing reviews that are not associated with the PPK.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:53 pm 
Chard Martyr

Here's some positivity. While I do love Isa, I also love Terry Hope Romero, Julie Hasson, Tamasin Noyes, Celine Steen, Bryant Terry, Bryanna Clark Grogan, Chat Mingkwan, and many many more.

The PPK isn't a negative place, but we are entitled to not loving every single vegan book on the planet, especially one with dubious health claims. It's skepticism rather than anger, and this is a discussion, not a beating.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:55 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I don't care about the cookbook. I just notice, cattiness, anger, and negativity to many things. This is one of the most negative discussion boards I have ever been on. People are just plain mean. I have seen it countless times. There are people attacking not the cookbook but Kris Carr herself. I have seen these kind of attacks here quite often. I really don't know why I bother come here, it just leaves me feeling icky and negative.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:58 pm 
Chard Martyr

That's unfortunate. I'm sorry you get that feeling.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:08 pm 

vijita wrote:
Here's some positivity. While I do love Isa, I also love Terry Hope Romero, Julie Hasson, Tamasin Noyes, Celine Steen, Bryant Terry, Bryanna Clark Grogan, Chat Mingkwan, and many many more.

The PPK isn't a negative place, but we are entitled to not loving every single vegan book on the planet, especially one with dubious health claims. It's skepticism rather than anger, and this is a discussion, not a beating.

Good points, it is just a discussion. Just one where someone is being put down, once again.

What are the dubious health claims, she is touting a whole foods, plant based diet? Isn't that what this board is all about? Why is it wrong for her to do it and to add a positive thinking aspect to it? Why is that wrong? I surely don't agree with the wheat grass enemas or colonics, but hey, it must work for her. I am for a whole foods plant based way of eating and that is something that I can't aruge with or slight her for. Healing cancer through good nutrition, positive thinking and meditation has been done for years. It doesn't always work, but it can. Negetivity does impact your health.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:44 pm 
Chard Martyr

Yeah, I know it can work. You know, one of my best friends just died of cancer yesterday so maybe I'm not in the best space for this discussion. She was one of the most positive people I have ever known, and had a reasonably healthy diet. My boyfriend's mum died of cancer and she was a health-conscious vegetarian.

I personally, think it's never a positive thing to assume that one diet fits all. I think that a lot of PPKers (not all, of course) find themselves comfortable here because many of us are vegan primarily for ethics rather than health. We get the eye-roll reaction in our daily lives by people who think we are spending 90% of our days contemplating wheatgrass enemas. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a healthy approach to vegan diets, and I work towards that most of the time because I want to be a healthy person, but I just get really uncomfortable when people who are not professionals capitalize off paths to health.

I'm really happy that it has worked for Kris Carr. Since this continues to be a discussion, I don't find her book appealing because the recipes aren't very interesting. That's just me, personally.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:52 pm 

vijita wrote:
Yeah, I know it can work. You know, one of my best friends just died of cancer yesterday so maybe I'm not in the best space for this discussion. She was one of the most positive people I have ever known, and had a reasonably healthy diet. My boyfriend's mum died of cancer and she was a health-conscious vegetarian.

I personally, think it's never a positive thing to assume that one diet fits all. I think that a lot of PPKers (not all, of course) find themselves comfortable here because many of us are vegan primarily for ethics rather than health. We get the eye-roll reaction in our daily lives by people who think we are spending 90% of our days contemplating wheatgrass enemas. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a healthy approach to vegan diets, and I work towards that most of the time because I want to be a healthy person, but I just get really uncomfortable when people who are not professionals capitalize off paths to health.

I'm really happy that it has worked for Kris Carr. Since this continues to be a discussion, I don't find her book appealing because the recipes aren't very interesting. That's just me, personally.

This makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for sharing all of this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:22 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I really don't understand the feeling of overwhelming negativity. Compared to any other online place I've ever seen, I think we are surprisingly respectful of everyone even when their messages are difficult for some of us to live with (like her slighting muffin eaters like me).

I agree with you that plant-based diet is a great thing, and that is a cornerstone of what KC proposes. I don't think she's horrible for benefiting from her experience, or having a successful brand. Good for her, we all do what we can, and as another cancer survivor, i think that if you survive cancer you should be able to milk that mofo for all you can, you earned it.
I actually agree with plenty of what she has to say, but she's also selling pseudoscience [like body pH, "cleansing toxins", ionized water, etc] for the treatment and prevention of cancer, which i just can't get behind.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:53 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I <3 vijita. Very well said.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I've noticed that the very few times cookbooks don't get love here, somebody complains and tosses around the "we only love Isa" criticism.

Instead, why not tell us why we are wrong. Which recipes are yummy? Why should we add it to our overflowing collections?

Personally, I don't find anything sexy about cancer. Pretty sure my aunt going through breast cancer doesn't either. Nor do my aunt and uncle who both died from a rare bone cancer.

Kris Carr can't make this her whole platform and industry and expect it to positively resonate with everybody. I'm sure she has heard much worse than we've said here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:14 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I do not see anything negative here at all. I read Crazy Sexy and thought it was really gimmicky and only appeals to those want health claims in a book form. Her book comes off as preachy and she even talks crepe about people not eating like her...I brought up her term 'doughnut vegans' before. I would not take health advice from a random person on the street with not doctor/health background. Why should I buy into it because it is sold by some pretty blonde girl? I hate lumping people together but CK and the Skinny bisque people are in the same category. It is marketed to a certain set and I just don't fit into that group...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Bonnie480 wrote:
You guys are a tough crowd. You guys beat the hell out of everyone who isn't Isa. So sad. Ok, bring on the anger towards me now......I can take it.

So much anger on these boards. Awful negetivity.

This is 100% not true, for all of the reasons vijita stated. We don't really have a mission statement, but the primary foundation of these boards are 1. ethical veganism, not any kind of fad diet and 2. a love for cooking and all that entails. I don't know a lot about Kris Carr either way, but from the article that was linked upstream i'd say that she gets plenty of similar criticism from various sources.

Also, if you find anger and awful negativity on here, please use the report button. That's what it's there for. We literally cannot read every post in every thread so if you think someone is being a jackass, you HAVE to let us know. But if you just mean that people are stating their less-than-sunshiney opinions, then yes, we have a lot of that. Either way, the only reason I know about these posts is because someone finally reported it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 am 
Nailed to the V

I am always so happy & energized after reading the threads on the PPK. And I rely on people to give their honest opinions. If everyone "loves" everything, then I can't believe anything.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:14 am 
WRETCHED

lavawitch wrote:
I've noticed that the very few times cookbooks don't get love here, somebody complains and tosses around the "we only love Isa" criticism.

Instead, why not tell us why we are wrong. Which recipes are yummy? Why should we add it to our overflowing collections?

Personally, I don't find anything sexy about cancer. Pretty sure my aunt going through breast cancer doesn't either. Nor do my aunt and uncle who both died from a rare bone cancer.

Kris Carr can't make this her whole platform and industry and expect it to positively resonate with everybody. I'm sure she has heard much worse than we've said here.

Yeah, we even show love for vegetarian cookbooks (with eggs/cheese) and even some omni cookbooks. Vegan cookbooks generally get the most love but even if they aren't vegan but are worthwhile, they tend to get love here.

Kris Carr just seems to make outrageous claims and is not someone I can support.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

to be honest the fact that we are allowed to come here and discuss OTHER vegan cookbooks/authors i think is amazingly positive. this is Isa's website. i have to assume she pays for it. she doesnt HAVE to have a cookbook forum where we discuss OTHER peoples' work.
i cant think of another vegan chef/cookbook writer's website where you can go and discuss any vegan chef/cookbook writer

i think it's really cool that we can come here and share love for other authors and i do think there is a lot of love for other authors.

check out the Chloe's Kitchen thread. love fest.
yes there are a couple authors who people here in general dont like and im not going to name them but predominantly there is always reasons to back up why people dont like their books.

as people mentioned people come to ppk predominantly as ethics based vegans not "whole foods planted based diet people"
most people here would probably cringe at the world "diet" being used to describe what they feel is a way of life and their morals/ethics/beliefs.

there is nothing wrong with either approach whatsoever. there is however a difference in mind set.

im not gonna comment on the book as ive never seen it or looked at it cause it doesnt sound like something that would interest me.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:18 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
to be honest the fact that we are allowed to come here and discuss OTHER vegan cookbooks/authors i think is amazingly positive. this is Isa's website. i have to assume she pays for it. she doesnt HAVE to have a cookbook forum where we discuss OTHER peoples' work.
i cant think of another vegan chef/cookbook writer's website where you can go and discuss any vegan chef/cookbook writer

i think it's really cool that we can come here and share love for other authors and i do think there is a lot of love for other authors.

check out the Chloe's Kitchen thread. love fest.
yes there are a couple authors who people here in general dont like and im not going to name them but predominantly there is always reasons to back up why people dont like their books.

as people mentioned people come to ppk predominantly as ethics based vegans not "whole foods planted based diet people"
most people here would probably cringe at the world "diet" being used to describe what they feel is a way of life and their morals/ethics/beliefs.

there is nothing wrong with either approach whatsoever. there is however a difference in mind set.

im not gonna comment on the book as ive never seen it or looked at it cause it doesnt sound like something that would interest me.

Well said. This is what I am seeing. I am a "whole foods, plant based" person and I guess it is a totally different mind set. Totally different. I guess we have to agree to disagree. I don't agree with anything that was said above(except Lisapunk), but that is what makes life so interesting.

Not for nothing, but Kris Carr raves about Isa's cookbooks in all of her resource articles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:56 pm 
WRETCHED

I consider myself a 'whole foods vegan', I was a 'whole foods omnivore' prior to that. I have a bookshelf full of cookbooks, mostly vegan, a few vegetarian and a few omni, all are 'whole foods friendly', some more than others. I'd say most of my cookbooks don't make any health claims, some do but the ones that do are based on science. I just can't support someone who makes unsubstantiated health claims. If you can ignore it and can enjoy her recipes, then all the power to you. I just think there are a lot of options out there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:57 pm 

What are the health claims that people keep mentioning? Maybe there is something I really have not read from her. As far as I know she stands for a whole foods plant based diet that everyone else here is. She labels her resources as dr Fuhrman, ornish, Campbell, Brenda Davis, mark hyman, Kenneth Bock. She seems to mimic all of the greats as far as the diet. Are u all referring to the colonics, enemas, and ionizer bs? That stuff I don't really pay attention to. She speaks of vegan diets, exercise, meditation, and positive thinking, are those false health claims or am I missing a detail. Let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:05 pm 
WRETCHED

yes, colonics, enemas, ionizers, 'you too can cure cancer if you do what I did', etc, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:57 am 

Ok I will stop posting about this after this one.

I guess it is all about perception. I don't see Kris Carr the way you have all described, but if I did, I sure would not like her either.

Kris Carr has NEVER said she "cured cancer" or even "cured" her own cancer. She openly talks about how she still has cancer and the tumors are still there. She talks about how they could start growing aggressively at an given time and she gets scanned every year and she does this with fear. To me, she talks about how good she feels and how much she has been thriving since changing her life upon her cancer diagnosis. She changed her life by becoming vegan, exercising, taking care of herself (in ways we may not all agree with, colonics, wheat grass enemas etc.) and postitive thinking and meditation. She talks about how she feels vitality like she never felt before her diagnosis and she wants to share it with the world. She is not writing books on how to cure cancer, she is writing books on how to feel good and take care of yourself. She shares what she has done and what works for her, she never made me feel bad about myself or made me feel I HAD to do it the way she does. To me she is sharing what has worked for her and how good she feels. What I do like is she teaches prevention and it all makes me feel empowered to be in charge of my own health. Dr. Joel Fuhrman writes about the same exact thing, minus the enemas!!!

Ok, I am done. i am probably boring you guys by now, I know you all don't care about this as much as I do ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

I converted to a vegan diet for health rather than ethics, I've had all the vegan for health books out of the library, read them all (except Skinny bisque that went back 99% unread it just rubbed me the wrong way) and returned them without cooking from them. Since I converted for health I'm always interested in reading more about it, I tend to take on board what I feel are the pertinent bits for me and then the recipes tend to be a little uninspiring.

I checked my library for this book, they've only got Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips and Crazy Sexy Diet. Still this book is fairly new, I'll give it some time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:58 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

My library had it. I checked it out without knowing anything about it or the author. I was turned off for many of the reasons already mentioned by others. I did not find any of the recipes particularly enticing or inspiring. I'm sure some of them are fine or even good, but I wasn't motivated to try any of them while I had the book out and I certainly wouldn't buy it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:05 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

darksideknitter wrote:
I checked my library for this book, they've only got Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips ...

Good grief. The titles just keep getting worse.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

darksideknitter wrote:
Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips

what the fork.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:08 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Yeah, the title of this book is unfortunate. The words "crazy", sexy" and "cancer" really don't go together. Despite my misgivings regarding the whole "crazy sexy" brand, I do think the book looks like it has some interesting recipes. The one I am most eager to try out is the Coconut and Red Lentil Soup. It contains some of my very favorite flavors and looks to be perfect for serving up on a snowy day.

Rightly or wrongly, I think of this as being Chad Sarno's cookbook despite the preponderance of Kris Carr photos and the words "Crazy" and "Sexy" which are slapped onto everything under the sun. (Crazy Sexy Kale! Crazy Sexy sides! The list goes on.) I am assuming that he created most if not all of the recipes the book contains. Does anyone know if that is right?

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next