| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is the BEST slow cooker cookbook?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:41 pm 
Tofu Pup

I want to utilize my slow cooker more. I'm sure there are ways to incorporate it using the current cookbooks I have now, but I'm not that clever.

I have The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester. I am not a huge fan. It calls for fake meat in almost every recipe (which I'm not entirely opposed to, but would prefer more plant based). I've made a few recipes and I'm just not that impressed.

There are a lot more slow cooker books out there than I realized. What's the best one out there?

Post subject: Re: What is the BEST slow cooker cookbook?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh no! I just ordered that one. Hmm. I might just sub beans for faux meat in those recipes. They hold up just fine. I found some frozen black beans in my freezer Nd put them in a stew yesterday that cooked for 8 hours and they stood up just fine.

I've used the Robin Robertson book, but I find that I need to add way more seasoning to her recipes or else they aren't flavorful enough for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:11 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Pickledtreats, the faux meat is usually seitan, tofu, or tempeh, and many recipes have instructions for subbing tofu, tempeh, or beans for the seitan. I think about five recipes call for store bought chorizo. There are probably another five recipes that call for vegan cheese, too. I personally wouldn't describe the book as faux meat-heavy, but I know we all have different definitions of what that means.

Lisak80, the only other slow cooker book I've tried is Robin Robertson's, and I've always found her recipes way underspiced for my taste. But lots of people like her cooking style, so again, it's personal preference.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I havent been stoked about any of the vegan slow cooker books, unfortunately. Some of it is relying on meat analogs but mostly they're not flavorful enough for my tastes. I like kathy hester's the most out of them all but it's still not one I turn to often.

I took a hint from the fat free vegan blog and started modifying non vegan books, using beans, baked tofu, or soy curls if I really need a meat sub. Sooooooooo much better! If anyone is interested I'll post a link to the non vegan books I'm liking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

couroupita wrote:
I havent been stoked about any of the vegan slow cooker books, unfortunately. Some of it is relying on meat analogs but mostly they're not flavorful enough for my tastes. I like kathy hester's the most out of them all but it's still not one I turn to often.

I took a hint from the fat free vegan blog and started modifying non vegan books, using beans, baked tofu, or soy curls if I really need a meat sub. Sooooooooo much better! If anyone is interested I'll post a link to the non vegan books I'm liking.

Yes please do post a link. I too have been underwhelmed with the vegan slow cooker options. I really want to use my slow cooker more this fall/winter though. My absolute favourite use for my slow cooker is peel chopped apples (about 10) a cup or so fresh cranberries, a little cinnamon and brown sugar. Cook on low 3-5 hours, makes the house smell wonderful and tastes great on oatmeal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:21 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

brontrent wrote:
couroupita wrote:
My absolute favourite use for my slow cooker is peel chopped apples (about 10) a cup or so fresh cranberries, a little cinnamon and brown sugar. Cook on low 3-5 hours, makes the house smell wonderful and tastes great on oatmeal.

MMMMmmmm! Thanks for that - I'm totally trying it as soon as it's apple picking time!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:08 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone, I am new here but wanted to chime in on slow cooker cookbooks. A few years ago, on a whim, I bought "50 simple soups for the slow cooker" by Lynn Alley (link below) because I saw it at a used bookstore for under $5. Even though it's not a vegan cookbook, most of her recipes are easily adaptable and I everything I've made has been great, and so easy! One of my favorite soups is her simple adzuki-miso; there are many others. She also has a vegetarian slow cooker cookbook which may be easily adaptable to vegan (I don't have that one though):

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/50-simp ... 1449414009

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:08 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

If you like Indian food, I've heard good things about Anupy Singla's The Indian Slow Cooker. I have her other cookbook (a vegan one, not for slow cookers) and it's good but salty.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:37 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

LFL wrote:
If you like Indian food, I've heard good things about Anupy Singla's The Indian Slow Cooker. I have her other cookbook (a vegan one, not for slow cookers) and it's good but salty.

I have both of these! From the Slow Cooker book, the kitcharee is good; and the not-specifically slow cooker book does have some slow cooker recipes too. From that one we really like the Pancharatna Dahl.

I also have Robin Robertson's book. I hear from so many people that her recipes are underspiced, but I actually didn't find that to be so much of an issue with the slow cooker book (more so in Vegan Planet). From her book I really like the pesto-infused white bean stew, the Caribbean black beans with mango, the polenta and chili pie, the coconut stuffed peppers, and the granola. It was one of my first cookbooks and it's great! (I'm referring to her older book, the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, not her newer one with Vegan in the title. The older book is all vegan, though-- possibly a couple baking recipes call for "eggs or egg replacer").

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:09 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I second the vote for the Indian Slow Cooker! It's very vegan friendly and authentic (source: I'm Indian).