| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: Isa Does It
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

poopiebitch wrote:
Oh man, yeah, that loaf is one of my favorites. FYI: I've also doubled it and baked it in a bundt pan for an hour (I think it was a 12 cup pan) and it turned out perfectly.

Happy to see this post - that's exactly what I want to do tomorrow morning. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the BLT's today. They were a bit too hot for me but okay. To be honest, I just thought it was too much hassle for a pretty normal (normal good) sandwich.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I made the BLT's today. They were a bit too hot for me but okay. To be honest, I just thought it was too much hassle for a pretty normal (normal good) sandwich.

We love these and have made them so many times. Maybe it depends on the hot sauce? I wish I could've gotten Frank's to you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:49 am 
Huffs Nooch

I did my cooking for most of the week yesterday. After enjoying the goddess noodles on friday night (I loved the tahini sauce...but it wasn't unlike things I've made in the past) For this weeks lunches, I made the butternut soup (super yummy) the chickpea rice soup (sans cabbage, because I didn't have any, but a couple spoonfuls told me this is a great warm you up in the dead of winter soup!) the tempeh orzilla (also yummy, but not something I couldn't have come up with on my own I think) and the giant oatmeal cookies...which I'm just not a huge fan of. They don't hold together that well, and they just don't have the kind of substance to them that I like in an oatmeal cookie. I'll be sticking with the ones from Vcon, which i LOVE from now on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:03 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

creep wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

We love these and have made them so many times. Maybe it depends on the hot sauce? I wish I could've gotten Frank's to you!

Yes, I wondered if it could be the sauce. I went to the supermarket and just took the one that said "Louisiana Hot Sauce" on it. It was just too hot and I couldn't really taste the tempeh that much and I adore tempeh.

I guess I also liked it less than I should have because tempeh is crazily expensive and I'm on a tight budget and was looking forward to a tempeh sandwich. And then, because it was too hot for me, my boyfriend just took the rest of the tempeh out of my sandwich and I was left with, eh, not much.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:37 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the Split Pea and Rutabaga Soup yesterday - but with Jerusalem Artichokes instead of rutabaga - and it was an amazing substitution. Bry and I were fighting over the leftovers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:07 am 
WELFARIST!

creep wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

Yes, I love these sammiches! I use Frank's, too and it's not too hot, but a lovely heated bite.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:47 am 
Level 7 Vegan

jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
...and the giant oatmeal cookies...which I'm just not a huge fan of. They don't hold together that well, and they just don't have the kind of substance to them that I like in an oatmeal cookie. I'll be sticking with the ones from Vcon, which i LOVE from now on.

I didn't have any problems when I made the oatmeal cookies. They held together nicely and were almost too subsantial for me. Wonder if it's different brands of oatmeal?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I didn't have any issues with the oatmeal cookies either. Not crumbly at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

made the enchilada casserole for dinner tonight.
all i have to say is YUM!
both my husband and i really liked it and we both ate a crapload of it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:25 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made the Chipotle Oyster Mushroom tacos and they were unbelievably good! I only had 3 oz of oyster mushrooms (rather than the 10 oz that the recipe calls for) so I adjusted all the other ingredients accordingly. I made them for lunch yesterday, and as I was eating them I kept thinking I should save some for my husband to try, but I just couldn't stop eating them! Soooooo yummy! Alas, none for hubby.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:54 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Roasted red pepper mac and cheese was great! I don't think I soaked the cashews well enough and learned I definitely hate onion chunks in mac and cheese. Once I make necessary adjustments, I'm sure this will become a weekly-ish favorite.
I have meaty beany chili waiting in the crockpot for me and I am BEYOND stoked. This was the first recipe I made from the book!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:02 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ha, I figured out why my bowels burnt last night. My boyfriend compared the heat of the sauce I used with Frank's - it's over 10 times as hot!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:29 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Ha, I figured out why my bowels burnt last night. My boyfriend compared the heat of the sauce I used with Frank's - it's over 10 times as hot!

If you're interested, you can get Frank's Hot Sauce at the Beyondthepond here in Dresden. And if you are looking for cheaper tempeh, have you ever checked any Asian stores? Here at the health food store 200g of organic tempeh cost almost 4 €, at the Asian store I can get 400 g for 1.40 €.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:55 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Oh, I meant to go the Beyondthepond anyway, i'll make sure to pick that up. Thanks.

Yes, I normally would buy tempeh for 2 euros at the asian store but it's sold out a lot. :/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:28 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

VeganinBerlin wrote:

I did it with tofu - not hot for me + made it into a salad (with all of the components)! It is simple but it is good!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

well it was bound to happen. i found an Isa recipe i really dont like.
i do not like the hot and sour soup. neither me nor my husband liked it.
i thought it tasted like mushroom water.

i used dried shiitakes cause that's what i had.
i dont know if ive ever had hot and sour soup so maybe i just dont like hot and sour soup.

i dont mind mushrooms but this was too mushroomy for me.

i made the quinoa ceasar salad to go with it and THAT was yumtastic!
i dont really like quinoa or tempeh (actually i borderline hate tempeh) and both were SO GOOD in this. it made them edible!
the dressing is really yummy but after too big bowls full of the salad drenched in the dressing my mouth was burning. im thinking it's all the garlic?
so happy i have left over dressing even if i ate all the tempeh and avocado. i can just dump it on some lettuce tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:59 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I am loving this book so so much. Recently I've made the Roasted Red Pepper Mac, Kale Salad with Butternut and Lentils, and Dragon Noodle Salad. All were absolutely fantastic. Next time I make the Kale Salad I may steam or saute the kale a bit though, as I just don't really like the taste of it raw.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:22 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I made the Belgian Beer stew last night and it was fantastic. My boyfriend and I fought over the leftovers. I has reservations about apples and bread in stew, but I'm dumb and it was great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:27 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

VeganinBerlin wrote:

I've made the same mistake. Around here hot sauce means Louisiana Hot Sauce. In vegan land hot sauce = Frank's. There needs to be a translation guide somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:34 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

LisaPunk wrote:

That's funny, I just came here to say that I LOVED the hot and sour soup. I've made it before from another recipe but this one wins for both simplicity and flavor. I was lacking a couple of ingredients - fresh ginger and my beloved sriracha, for which I substituted red pepper flakes - and even then I thought it was fantastic. On my next trip to the Asian grocery I will be stocking up on wood ears so I can make this soup again and again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:29 am 
Ninja Master

VeganinBerlin wrote:

yeah I've done this. The first time I made the hot sauce tempeh in vcon I used sriracha and nearly blew my face off! hahaha. When I blogged about it, lots of nice people told me I should've used franks! ah well. That reminds me I must make that again soon!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have already used my book so much, I am trashing it! There is stuff spilled on a lot of the pages, and I am lucky none of them are sticking together. Isa Does It is the BEST COOKBOOK EVER! My most recent forays were Dilly Stew on Sunday night, and Seitan and Broccoli with Pantry BBQ Sauce last night. I made the steamed chicky seitan, and it was delicious (second time I've made that; great recipe also) My son, who is vegetarian, loved the Seitan and Broccoli - it was the first time he'd ever had seitan. I think he's hooked. He wants to come over and cook this again! The Dilly Stew was delicious, but I think the dumplings needed to cook just a little more. I had lots of fun with pots on that. I started out using my Le Creuset, but it was too small, so I had to move the whole megillah into a larger regular pot with lid. Fortunately, it worked. Also, I should add, my husband just went back to Sweden after a month visiting us here in the states. We made more food at home than we ever have before, and he LOVED the Sweet Potato Gnocchi.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:05 am 
Nailed to the V

I made the Olive Lentil Burgers and wow! Has anybody made these? I can't remember seeing any comments about them. They're sooo good! They hold together like a dream and taste savory and are just awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:21 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

corduroy wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

That's funny, I just came here to say that I LOVED the hot and sour soup. I've made it before from another recipe but this one wins for both simplicity and flavor. I was lacking a couple of ingredients - fresh ginger and my beloved sriracha, for which I substituted red pepper flakes - and even then I thought it was fantastic. On my next trip to the Asian grocery I will be stocking up on wood ears so I can make this soup again and again.

Me too! It's become my favorite recipe in the book, definitely the one I've made the most.

beethecookie wrote:
I made the Olive Lentil Burgers and wow! Has anybody made these? I can't remember seeing any comments about them. They're sooo good! They hold together like a dream and taste savory and are just awesome.

I was going to make these tonight! What did you top them with?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 89  Next