| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: Isa Does It
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im starting to wonder if i just totally forked the soup up. it tasted like mushroom water. i really wished i hadnt put the reserved soaking liquid in as instructed.
ill have to look at the recipe again and see if i can remember accidently leaving something out.
i wonder if the stock i used wasnt quite the right kind. i buy really cheap stock at the grocery store cause im broke and i think it's more tomatoey than the stock i used to use which i think was more onions/celery/etc.

i tasted the soup before it was done and i already knew i didnt like it but i didnt know how to fix it at that point. usually i can tweak flavors and stuff but i wasnt sure how to make it more hot or more sour.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:20 am 
Nailed to the V

LazySmurf wrote:

beethecookie wrote:
I made the Olive Lentil Burgers and wow! Has anybody made these? I can't remember seeing any comments about them. They're sooo good! They hold together like a dream and taste savory and are just awesome.

I was going to make these tonight! What did you top them with?

Since these have Mediterranean flair, I put mine in a wrap with hummus, mixed greens, and olives. If I'd had cucumbers on hand I'd imagine that'd be good too. Mine were simple but really tasty.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

beethecookie wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

beethecookie wrote:
I made the Olive Lentil Burgers and wow! Has anybody made these? I can't remember seeing any comments about them. They're sooo good! They hold together like a dream and taste savory and are just awesome.

I was going to make these tonight! What did you top them with?

Since these have Mediterranean flair, I put mine in a wrap with hummus, mixed greens, and olives. If I'd had cucumbers on hand I'd imagine that'd be good too. Mine were simple but really tasty.

Thanks! That sounds perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
im starting to wonder if i just totally forked the soup up. it tasted like mushroom water. i really wished i hadnt put the reserved soaking liquid in as instructed.
ill have to look at the recipe again and see if i can remember accidently leaving something out.
i wonder if the stock i used wasnt quite the right kind. i buy really cheap stock at the grocery store cause im broke and i think it's more tomatoey than the stock i used to use which i think was more onions/celery/etc.

i tasted the soup before it was done and i already knew i didnt like it but i didnt know how to fix it at that point. usually i can tweak flavors and stuff but i wasnt sure how to make it more hot or more sour.

More sriracha and/or vinegar. I usually adjust those to taste per bowl. I might up the soy sauce in mine too, but I use low sodium.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:19 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i've made the cheezy broccoli soup for the 2nd time last night. so good! (even though i made the mistake of measuring the cashews via water displacement. i'm going to put a note to measure them separately or at least first. especially since i don't have to soak. i really need to do an experiment to see how much water the cashews absorb when soaking, so i can up my recipes by that much. and if they absorb the same amount of water that air takes up in the dry measure, then that'd be a perfect shortcut. i definitely added too many cashews this time, but it was still super tasty, just waaay thick and cashewy.)

the lemon loaf was definitely perfect, even without the drizzle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:08 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

seitanicverses wrote:
creep wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:
I made the BLT's today. They were a bit too hot for me but okay. To be honest, I just thought it was too much hassle for a pretty normal (normal good) sandwich.

We love these and have made them so many times. Maybe it depends on the hot sauce? I wish I could've gotten Frank's to you!

Yes, I love these sammiches! I use Frank's, too and it's not too hot, but a lovely heated bite.

Not a huge tempeh fan here (don't dislike it, but have never craved it); however, I really enjoyed the Red Hot BLT tempeh, tossed over a crisp, green salad instead of sandwich form, and doused in homemade buttermilk dressing (cultured cashew milk/homemade mayo and spices/seasonings). I cut the tempeh a bit thinner than 1/4", and it held up well in the cast iron skillet, nice and toasty and a bit of char - YUMMY! Omni husband loved the dish.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the tempeh meatballs yesterday. They were so good. Possibly my new favorite way to eat tempeh. I had them over spaghetti squash instead of noodles, which meant that I didn't have to come up with a vegetable side dish. So yummy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I haven't read through every page of this thread, but has anyone else's life been changed by the sesame tofu recipe? So so easy and good. I love that I don't have to marinate first. I had a huge mix-up with dinner tonight...my partner didn't get to the store, etc, etc, etc... Anyway I always have those ingredients and it's a good way to use my grill pan to put dinner on the table super fast.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've been baking/broiling tofu in tamari and sesame oil for a while now, and I love it. It made me feel awesome to see it in a book by someone whose food and recipes I think so highly of!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yes, the sesame tofu along with the baked savory tofu from Vegan Eats World are both my favorite go-to tofu preparation methods. I like to broil the tofu for the last 3-4 minutes of cooking so they get caramelized and browned and yum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:55 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yes! I am so happy to have a delicious tofu recipe that I can whip up in no time and not worry about a marinade!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the olive lentil burgers and I LOVED them. I topped with hummus, green olives, & tomato & it was perfect. I also made the oven fries and either I didn't do it right, or there is no reason for the pre-boil because I didn't notice a texture difference from just sticking them in the oven. I'm curious if anyone else has made them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:31 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i've made the fries and i totally noticed a difference. they seemed to have more of that super squishy insides/crisp outsides that you get from frying more than straight up baked fries/roasted potatoes. i wish i could articulate the difference a little better, but i really love this method. however, if it's not any different for you than regular oven fries, then maybe you just make really good oven fries and not bother with the boiling.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:34 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

LazySmurf wrote:
I made the olive lentil burgers and I LOVED them. I topped with hummus, green olives, & tomato & it was perfect. I also made the oven fries and either I didn't do it right, or there is no reason for the pre-boil because I didn't notice a texture difference from just sticking them in the oven. I'm curious if anyone else has made them.

I have made them and they turned out so good I have to double the recipe for our family of 5 we all loved them so much. I do follow her method of soak, boil, rinse, dry and I find they turn out much crispier this way. I have also used this method with sweet potatoes but they don't get as crispy but still super tasty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:13 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made a batch of banana nut muffins. I didn't have walnuts, so I went with the chocolate chip route, subbing one cup of pecans and one half cup of chocolate chips for the written mix-ins. Best banana bread ever! I even like it more than the marbled banana loaf.

I also whipped up some modified olive oil bread to share. I wish I didn't. I don't know what I was thinking. Don't ever share experiments! I subbed half whole white wheat flour to make it a bit heartier, and I didn't really make any adjustments to compensate for the extra heaviness. It tastes fine and all, but it's lacking that "OMG" factor that the 100% all purpose version has. Now I know, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Lentil-a-roni was easy easy easy and pretty tasty. lt wasn't my favorite meal but I'd make it again and add more spices.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:17 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

creep wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

More sriracha and/or vinegar. I usually adjust those to taste per bowl. I might up the soy sauce in mine too, but I use low sodium.

yeah, I think I wound up adding more vinegar than the recipe called for because I love that flavor. Then when I finished up the leftovers today I plunked some kimchi in there for the heck of it and WOW. My spicy-sour palate was very very pleased.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:24 am 
Nailed to the V

Just to add to the oven fries discussion above, hubby and I are firm believers that the soak and dry, then bake method works the best. I've never boiled them first, though. For me, just making an ice water bath for the taters to sit in, then drying them off before baking does wonders for the texture of the fries. Now that we've discovered this method, we do it this way all the time.

So glad you liked the olive lentil burgers, lazysmurf! We're down to our last two and I'm sad :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:09 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Butternut wrote:
I haven't read through every page of this thread, but has anyone else's life been changed by the sesame tofu recipe? So so easy and good. I love that I don't have to marinate first. I had a huge mix-up with dinner tonight...my partner didn't get to the store, etc, etc, etc... Anyway I always have those ingredients and it's a good way to use my grill pan to put dinner on the table super fast.

My tofu-hating omni partner likes this tofu! I use an iron grill pan, then just stick that whole think into broil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:26 am 
Nailed to the V

can i make the pad thai with brown miso instead of white?
i have all of this brown miso (that i bought for chickpea noodle soup) but no white

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:14 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I just had to pick a mushroom from the glam chowder out of two my molars just like a regular clam

So there's a weird stamp of approval

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:30 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Things I've made so far: beet burgers, pad Thai, sweet and sour brown rice salad, roasted red pepper Mac and cheese, marbled banana bread. Everything has been easy and beyond delicious! My omni bf still is talking about the brown rice salad, he loved how fresh tasting it is. The roasted red pepper Mac n cheese is my new fave Mac and cheese. Definitely planning to cook my way through IDI and AFR this year. Isa is my culinary hero!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

daisysunshine wrote:
can i make the pad thai with brown miso instead of white?
i have all of this brown miso (that i bought for chickpea noodle soup) but no white

yeah, it really doesn't matter what type of miso you use. your miso might be a little stronger than the miso that is called for, so start by adding a teaspoon or so less. but honestly, i usually just sub any miso and never have issues.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:02 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

the other night I made a very loose version of the Sweet Potato Red Curry and it turned out great! I was intrigued by using sweet potatoes as the base and figured it wouldn't matter too much if I switched up the veg - using carrots, cauliflower and baby spinach - and subbed a can of mock duck for the adzuki beans. It was a total success, nice and creamy and hearty, and I think I'll definitely use that method again for a curry base!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:09 am 
Tofu Pup

Did anyone know why the book isn't available as a Kindle ebook, or when it might become available? I hate to be "that person" but it's the format I have all my cookbooks in, and it seems strange that this title alone of of all the PPK books isn't available.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 87  Next