| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: Isa Does It
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:26 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

On the amazon site it says the kindle version will be released on February 11.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:43 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Made the tempeh meatballs and spaghetti last night, very lovely. We usually use jarred sauce for our pasta so making the sauce ourselves was a nice change of flavors. The tempeh meatballs came together easily, I prefer the texture of baked meatballs so I baked mine at 350 for 25 minutes, flipped, then 15 more minutes. Very delicious!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:01 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Made the marbled banana bread. I didn't have cocoa powder on hand, so I melted down half a bittersweet chocolate bar. Still totally worked, and man is that cake MOIST AND YUMMY. It was pretty flat though...didn't rise a ton, which bummed me out a bit, mostly because I wanted there to be more!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The carrot cake pancakes are delicious! I'm still not having luck getting mine as puffy as the pics though, maybe my baking powder is bad? It's not expired yet, but that's all I can come up with.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

rohai wrote:
The carrot cake pancakes are delicious! I'm still not having luck getting mine as puffy as the pics though, maybe my baking powder is bad? It's not expired yet, but that's all I can come up with.

Mine were pretty fluffy. Yours might look thinner in comparison if the ones in the book are smaller though?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The chunky miso vegetable soup was pretty good, but nothing amazing. I don't know that i'd make it again, especially since the chickpea noodle soup from Veganomicon fills the same niche for me and I like it much better. However I would recommend the chunky miso vegetable soup as a good alternative for mushroom-haters who want some comforting miso goodness. I sprinkled some nutritional yeast on top because apparently miso soup just isn't vegan enough for me. ;)

Also made the peanut sauce recipe this week and yowza. I am kind of a connoisseur of peanut sauce, and this may be my new favorite! I couldn't stop eating it. Me and my guest devoured almost the entire batch, and I spread the leftover sauce on a rice cake the next day and gobbled it up. Mmmmmm.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

creep wrote:
rohai wrote:

Mine were pretty fluffy. Yours might look thinner in comparison if the ones in the book are smaller though?

I wonder if diameter affects lift? I've had different success rates with the puffy pillow pancake recipe, even with fresh baking powder.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made the breaded tofu, cauliflower, and pesto pasta today and it was good. I don't know if I will bother with bread ing the tofu again, though. I think dry fried would make me just as happy and would save time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:50 pm 

Blackeyed pea and collard tacos were delectable. I loved these and the avocado salsa was a treat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

Tonight I made the Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Seared Brussels and Tarragon cream sauce. I skipped the sprouts as I had them the other night. I subbed sage for tarragon as its what I had. This was really good. First time I made gnocchi and they were not the prettiest. They looked nothing like the photo in the book. I served it with a big veggie salad and it was a great meal. I roasted the potato earlier in the day and then I thought the meal came together pretty quickly. I also made an herb and nooch flatbread and it went so well with the gnocchi and the sauce.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:43 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

PorshaJo wrote:
Tonight I made the Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Seared Brussels and Tarragon cream sauce. I skipped the sprouts as I had them the other night. I subbed sage for tarragon as its what I had. This was really good. First time I made gnocchi and they were not the prettiest. They looked nothing like the photo in the book. I served it with a big veggie salad and it was a great meal. I roasted the potato earlier in the day and then I thought the meal came together pretty quickly. I also made an herb and nooch flatbread and it went so well with the gnocchi and the sauce.

My husband doesn't like Brussels sprouts, so there's always more for the rest of us. I may try subbing sage for tarragon, and see how that works. I have found that the fresh tarragon tastes a lot better to me than dry tarragon, so I always use fresh. I imagine the same could be said of fresh sage.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:18 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Making the Chandra Malai Kofka for Sunday lunch here today ... to be served with roasted (lots of garlic, balsamic vinegar, shallots) eggplant / aubergine, zucchini / courgette ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:09 am 

teacup wrote:
Making the Chandra Malai Kofka for Sunday lunch here today ... to be served with roasted (lots of garlic, balsamic vinegar, shallots) eggplant / aubergine, zucchini / courgette ...

I really want to make that, curious to hear how it turns out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:39 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I LOVE the kofta, I think they're my favorite recipe from the book...although the chai snickerdoodles and pizza bowl run a close second.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:22 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I recommended this book for a friend's daughter and i think she is going to get it! I am really happy that some of my favorite blog recipes are now in pretty cookbook form. I forgot that i always have problems keeping the beet burgers together. Now i add a few spoonfuls (maybe 1/4 c) of tapioca flour and they stay together wonderfully!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I was going to make the red-hot BLTs for 4 lunches this week but after having tasted one I think I'm going to be recalculating that serving size. Brb making another one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, man I love those red hot BLTs.

One thing I've been craving lately is Isa's breaded tofu. I think I made it for the cucumber ranch bowl recently and I see there's a pasta recipe which I have to try soon with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

dakini wrote:
Made the tempeh meatballs and spaghetti last night, very lovely. We usually use jarred sauce for our pasta so making the sauce ourselves was a nice change of flavors. The tempeh meatballs came together easily, I prefer the texture of baked meatballs so I baked mine at 350 for 25 minutes, flipped, then 15 more minutes. Very delicious!

Yeah, when I think of that recipe, it's actually the sauce I really fixate on. I mean, I totally love the meatballs too, but the sleeper hit of that recipe is the sauce!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:13 pm 

So dinner tonight was supposed to be the lentil-a-roni but I was too lazy to cook the lentils. Instead I used apple sage field roast in their place and made the rest of the sauce per the recipe. Holy crepe was that delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:38 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The red hot BLTs are amazing! Reading this thread makes me wish i had tempeh so i could make them immediately. I used homemade hotsauce so i am not sure how the spiciness compares.
Finally made the chai spice snickerdoodles. All this time i though i did not have cardamon, and there it was, hiding in the spice cabinet. They are so good! I don't think i will be making normal snickerdoodles ever again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Did anyone else find that the sauce recipe included with the tempeh meatballs and spaghetti doesn't really make enough for the amount of pasta called for? We used it all with 3 small/medium servings and still have a ton of meatballs left. I didn't have this problem testing because I used jarred sauce. Sticking the extra meatballs in the freezer for the time being.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

For the first time in my 7+ years of veganism I have found a baked tofu recipe I can get behind. I have been eating the little squares cold from the fridge. Hooray for this cookbook!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:24 pm 

creep wrote:
Did anyone else find that the sauce recipe included with the tempeh meatballs and spaghetti doesn't really make enough for the amount of pasta called for? We used it all with 3 small/medium servings and still have a ton of meatballs left. I didn't have this problem testing because I used jarred sauce. Sticking the extra meatballs in the freezer for the time being.

Yes, I had the same issue. I do like my spaghetti really saucy though. I also think the recipe makes more meatballs than it says? It says 4 servings and suggests 3-4 meatballs per serving. I had more than 16 golfball sized meatballs (forgot to count before eating!). Maybe 20?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

Butternut wrote:
creep wrote:

Yes, I had the same issue. I do like my spaghetti really saucy though. I also think the recipe makes more meatballs than it says? It says 4 servings and suggests 3-4 meatballs per serving. I had more than 16 golfball sized meatballs (forgot to count before eating!). Maybe 20?

I didn't have this problem but I really like my spaghetti pretty un-saucy. Most pasta recipes (to me) almost always serve 8 in terms of sauce coverage.

I also just don't like golfball size meatballs and always make them smaller. I would probably strive for four to six tempeh meatballs per serving? Don't remember exactly. Will be re-making the recipe again soon and see how many I make then.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got 23 meatballs during testing. My husband made it his time, so I didn't count, but yeah, definitely more than 16.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 89  Next