| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 96  Next
 Post subject: Re: Isa Does It
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:54 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I can't wait for the strawberry bread pudding. I'm just waiting for a massive strawberry windfall - it will happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:25 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

The seitan recipes alone are going to save me the cost of the book. I made the beany sausage seitan last week and the gluten sprung into action so quickly that this week when I made the chiky seitan cutlets I added the gluten last. That way the yeast and all the seasonings were evenly mixed so I didn't over knead. And even though the sausage last week was very very chewy it was still wonderful.

Am I the only one with this problem?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the broccoli and seitan with leftover coriander seitan from VEW and roughrider bbq sauce from Vegan Diner...easy and delicious!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:03 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

So far my favorite recipe from this book is the Down Home Curry. My husband doesn't like curry so I make a big pot of it for me and eat it throughout the week. I make it with cauliflower instead of broccoli and I use both tofu and chickpeas. I add a little extra broth and coconut milk to make it soupier so I can soak it up with bread. Mmmmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:15 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I made a slightly changed version of the farmer salad with garlicky thyme tempeh last week and really, really loved it. I didn't have any snap peas, so I left those out. Instead of baby potatoes I used normal ones cut into pieces and panfried until crispy. Instead of trumpet mushrooms I used cremini sauteed in the same pan that the garlicky thyme tempeh was made in, so they got some of that leftover marinade. I made the chive vinaigrette according to recipe but didn't blend it. It was sooooo good! I couldn't stop raving about it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Somehow, I neglected to mention trying the chickpea scramble. Though I changed it a lot, I used tons of chives instead of onion, dry dill instead of fresh and halved the recipe. It was really tasty and the next day I mixed the leftovers with just a little vegenaise for a sandwich spread, which was exceptional.

Tonight I made the black bean burrito bowl, as I ended up with most of the ingredients and didn't need to go shopping. Only had half the spinach so added an extra tomato. Added a splash of lemon juice at the end. Served on brown rice with salsa and hot sauce instead of guacamole. It was a great summer dinner, warm without frying the house, filling but not heavy, fresh and healthy tasting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:58 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the goddess noodles with tempeh (but I used chickpeas instead) last night. It was pretty good but I was out of lemon and I could tell it would have been great with some lemon. Oh well!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:47 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Omaha yakisoba (yaki-udon?) was sooooo good. Whoa. I doubled it because it was for five people and it was like a mountain of food. So very generous portions on that one. I added some quickly fried tofu and dang. I'm already scheming to make it again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

has anyone ever grilled the Island black bean burgers on an outdoor grill? it says to bake them.
im making them tonight but i also have a pineapple to grill and would prefer not to turn my oven on when it's this toasty out

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:27 pm 
BAD PASS

Give it a try, I'd say. And if they seem like they won't hold together, put them on foil, maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:00 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i guess that's the part im worried about.
maybe after i form the ill ask my husband what he thinks since he is the grill master.

the great thing about veg*n food is at the very least you're basically just warming it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Seitan & Broccoli with Pantry BBQ Sauce the other night & served it with the Cornbread (which I just bake in a skillet ) & roasted sweet potatoes. This was just Faboooo! I want to put the sauce on everything of course!

What really strikes about me about recipe after recipe is the amazing amount of flavor, usually coaxed from so few ingredients (and pretty simple ones at that), and THEN on top of that the relatively short amount of time it takes to throw everything together. It kinda keeps blowing my mind.

Last night I made the Tempeh Giardino, which also was crazy easy & so smokily delicious (the cast iron I used I guess). I wasn't serving this over anything, just ate it with salads and it was a little on the lighter side because it cooked down more that I expected. Threw the leftovers in with pasta for lunch and the flavor was still there.

I'm thinking of trying it over massaged kale next time. Also, I'm starting to get pretty jealous of the future patrons of Modern Love.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:07 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

BF chose lentil-a-roni for us to make for dinner tonight. He's a keeper!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so i did indeed grill the island black bean burgers. the first one i made seemed like it would do fine in the oven but maybe a little to crumbly for the grill so i poured some olive oil in the rest of the mix and mixed it up and then they stayed together fine.

overall i would say it was a tasty meal but nothing super exciting. i still put ketchup on my burger even with the salsa because as my husband says "i am gross"

my husband really liked them. (without ketchup obvs)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:15 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I honestly didn't intend to buy this book, because it seemed expensive. We were at the book store and I picked it up and my husband kept walking by as I was looking at it and every time he would see a picture and say "Yum!" It was worth every penny, the things I've mad so far have been so good. Glam chowder, tempeh meatballs and spaghetti, yum is the word.

But Beet Burgers? Yuck. I had no intention of making these, but I accidentally bought some beets. I didn't know what beets looked like and I thought I was buying something else. I had no idea what to do with them. As I was preparing the beets I couldn't get them to stop smelling like dirt (is that normal?) I didn't have high hopes, but it turns out... Beet burgers taste really good. I might even buy beets on purpose to make them again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Hollie wrote:
Give it a try, I'd say. And if they seem like they won't hold together, put them on foil, maybe?

I did that during testing, but I used the loose veggie pan/sheet thing. It has holes in it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Goodwolf wrote:
[...] I might even buy beets on purpose to make them again.

Haha, I love this story. I always had a slight problem with beets, since my mother used to force me to eat them when I was little, and I hated them (read: the way she prepared them). Isa clearly knows what to do with beets to make them taste great. Haven't tried the burgers yet, but now it's a plan! (They do have a sort of earthy smell, yes. Don't worry. You can be friends with beets. Isa taught me.) :))

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:32 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I made eggplant and bread crumb fettuccine for lunch, with WW spaghetti since it was here. It tasted so good before I warmed the tomato sauce that I ate it straight. Yummy and easy!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:52 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Goodwolf wrote:
I honestly didn't intend to buy this book, because it seemed expensive. We were at the book store and I picked it up and my husband kept walking by as I was looking at it and every time he would see a picture and say "Yum!" It was worth every penny, the things I've mad so far have been so good. Glam chowder, tempeh meatballs and spaghetti, yum is the word.

But Beet Burgers? Yuck. I had no intention of making these, but I accidentally bought some beets. I didn't know what beets looked like and I thought I was buying something else. I had no idea what to do with them. As I was preparing the beets I couldn't get them to stop smelling like dirt (is that normal?) I didn't have high hopes, but it turns out... Beet burgers taste really good. I might even buy beets on purpose to make them again.

That gives me hope! I do NOT like beets - they taste like dirt to me. I've tried different prep methods, all utter failures. But since I've decided to make everything in this book, I'll eventually be getting around to the beet burgers. So... maybe I won't hate them!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:14 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

The Beet Burgers are my absolute favorite way of eating burgers and of eating beets, and I was never a big fan of beets. I don't taste the beets at all in the burgers!

Last night I made the basic baked tofu, it was quite nice! I could taste the mustard quite a bit (but that's probably because I added all the remaining marinade in the last 15 minutes), which was fine for me but too much for my boyfriend, and also I think it would go well with some bland tastes but not paired with other strong tastes. However, easy and good, definitely a win!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:21 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I tried the blueberry banana muffins and I thought overall they were quite good! I'll reduce the sugar next time, but my that's because I made them for my husband for his breakfasts and he doesn't like muffins to be sweet at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My husband made the Ranch Potato Salad with Chickpeas over the weekend. It was good, but...different. I can't really explain it, just very different, for me at least. I've never been a ranch person, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I made the Lemon-Blueberry Loaf yesterday for breakfast this week, no glaze. It's kinda fab. Light on the lemon flavor, so definitely more like a bread than cake with the lovely pop of blueberries. I really like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:53 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made the Banana Nut muffins for my son to take as a snack to camp - but I subbed mini chocolate chips and coconut for the nuts, as there are no nuts allowed at camp. I couldn't resist trying one after they cooled down and OMG!!!! These are quite possibly the best banana muffins I have ever had, vegan or not. I wanted to keep eating!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:29 am 
Tofu Pup

I've tried quite a few recipes from this gorgeous book. It's hard to choose a favourite but I've made the lentil taco meat a few times and the miso tahini roast cauliflower bowl. I'm also from the school of 'beets taste like dirty dirt' but love Isa's beet burgers. Looove the rosemary choc chip cookies and the nirvana enchilada casserole. Out of all the cookbooks I keep going back to, this one is in the top 3.

(first post: hello everyone!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 am 
BAD PASS

Oh, hello there!

The Roasty Soba Bowl is my new favorite. It lasted me so many meals!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 96  Next