| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2054 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: Isa Does It
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hollie wrote:
Oh, hello there!

The Roasty Soba Bowl is my new favorite. It lasted me so many meals!

When I get cauliflower in my CSA, this is being made.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:21 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've got to try the beet burgers - beets are one of my favorite veggies.

I made chiky seitan cutlets again. There's a learning curve and I'm on my way up. I probably should have known this in advance, but more kneading made the cutlets less chewy rather than too chewy. Now to try the beany sausages again.

This book makes cooking fun again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:35 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the puffy pillow pancakes this morning and they were not very puffy.

when i was mixing the milk with flax and vinegar (vigorously!) it never foamed. is that essential to making them puffy?
they were definitely not 1 inch thick.

they were however very tasty! they were nice and spongy and soaked up the syrup nicely. we topped them with strawberries from our CSA like in the picture from the book

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
i made the puffy pillow pancakes this morning and they were not very puffy.

when i was mixing the milk with flax and vinegar (vigorously!) it never foamed. is that essential to making them puffy?
they were definitely not 1 inch thick.

they were however very tasty! they were nice and spongy and soaked up the syrup nicely. we topped them with strawberries from our CSA like in the picture from the book

I never feel like my flax gets FOAMY foamy. Maybe a few bubbles? The end result is always good though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mine are never 1" thick, but pretty close! And mixing doesn't get the flax super foamy usually, but last time I let the flax soak for a good while before mixing with the other liquid and achieved more foam.

I love those pancakes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So made the gardeny chard and shiitake pasta tonight, it was really good. I used half cremini mushrooms to keep the cost down and added a healthy dash of white wine.

I doubled the recipe and we finished it in no time. Mr Moon eats pretty big portions but I really don't get how 8oz of pasta is enough for four servings.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Moon wrote:
I doubled the recipe and we finished it in no time. Mr Moon eats pretty big portions but I really don't get how 8oz of pasta is enough for four servings.

I agree. I always wonder if authors assume you're having salad and bread or something else with main dish recipes, because a 4-serving recipe for us is always 2 or 3. Not just pasta, pretty much anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:34 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we can pretty much destroy an entire pot of whatever we've cooked too between the two of us. sometimes there is enough for one leftover serving.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:43 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Chicki wrote:
Hm, well in the reverse, my fiance LOVES beets. Did not love the beet burger so much (super disappointed since I did)

Although, he is an Omni, and kind of loves his burgers, so that is probably why

Beet burgers hadn't jumped onto the priority list - probably, in part, due to the fact that I've been pretty disappointed with most veggie "burgers" I've sampled (from homemade to frozen to restaurant offerings) - but suddenly did so when I had two farmers' market beets that needed using pronto.

The flavor and texture are *too good* to describe: They are so darn burger-y, so flavorful, tender, juicy, and the crunchy bits/edges from the cast iron pan added so much enjoyment. I used some unrefined coconut oil to coat the bottom of the pan, then drizzled on olive oil as needed.

Omni-turned-mostly-vegan hubby LOVED them. And even more: omni burger-loving pre-teen LOVED them! She took a bite of mine, then made one for herself! This is a HUGE testament, because this girl loves her hamburgers. In-n-Out is down the street and a fave of hers.

My one downfall: they were pretty crumbly after cooking/near end time of cooking. An edge would break off while flipping - even carefully - and a few completely just split apart. Still delicious, though. In fact, I had one broken burger on a plate, topped with all the accoutrements, eaten with a fork - so darn good. My subs were pintos in lieu of lentils (which I thought may have been a culprit, until someone upthread reported using BEP with no issue), and I had NO brown rice so had to use basmati - maybe that contributed to lack of "glue"?

Broken or not, layered on a toasted bun with homemade vegan mayo, ketchup, mustard, relish, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and leftover picked onions from Salad Samurai (hubby ADORES these as well! asked if purchased them, ha ha), these burgers were the cornerstone of a STELLAR meal, so reminiscent of grilled burgers I always enjoyed so much. They will be my go-to burger when we have family bbqs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've got a boatload of beets from the farmers market, so I may have to break down and make the beet burgers. I love beets, but for some reason the redness of the burgers in the photo really turns me off. Gonna have to get past it, I guess. For sure this week, though, I'm making the marbled banana bread, the chocolate zucchini bundt cake (if I have a bundt pan, I can't remember), and the summer seitan sauté. I actually have a little extra free time this week, thus the two baked goods. Might take the cake to a party. If it turns out that I don't have a bundt pan, can you make it in 2 loaf pans instead?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:18 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

That Cast Iron Stir Fry is my absolute fave stir fry recipe ever. I love that recipe, I have made it countless times. The picture is gorgeous too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:50 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Sun-Dried Tomato Penne last night. Creamy & absolutely awesome; difficult to stop eating it.

Banana-Nut Muffins this morning. I didn't use nearly as many nuts, but it was nutty enough for me. Light and banana-y, pretty much perfect I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Today I made two recipes. The first was the chicky tuna salad sandwiches. This was great for lunch. I was able to throw it together quickly. I didn't have the sunflower seeds and will be sure to get them for the next time I make this. I couldn't stop eating this - I went back and ate more with some corn chips. So good.

The next was the cheddary broccoli soup. It was amazing. I initially refused to even consider this one. Chalk it up to my mom making the non-vegan version constantly when I was young and just bad memories. I finally decided to give it a try after all the raving comments I have seen about this one. And they were all right. I only made a half recipe of this as I was still not expecting to like it (more of a mental issue). My husband and I blew through this and there are no leftovers. Bummer. I got some fresh broccoli from the farmers market so plan to make this again early next week.

Really, every recipe I have made in this book I have loved. I think this might be my most favorite book ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

PorshaJo wrote:
Today I made two recipes. The first was the chicky tuna salad sandwiches. This was great for lunch. I was able to throw it together quickly. I didn't have the sunflower seeds and will be sure to get them for the next time I make this. I couldn't stop eating this - I went back and ate more with some corn chips.

The sunflower seeds aren't necessary but SO GOOD. Plus buying the bag of seeds probably leaves you enough fir the sunflower mac.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:46 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made the 'shroomy hot and sour soup this morning. It was worth getting all sticky in my unair-conditioned kitchen to prepare one of my old old favorites. Pre-veg back in the seventies I remember Szechuan restaurants making this with pork so I used my last chicky seitan cutlet instead of the tofu. Lots of chewy goodness and an easy dish to heat up in the microwave in hot weather.

Now to figure out what to do with the rest of the cabbage. It looked so small before I began shredding it and now I estimate I've got another 5 cups left.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:12 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Chickpea Rice Soup calls for cabbage and is really good if you haven't tried it yet!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:05 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Nicole wrote:
Chickpea Rice Soup calls for cabbage and is really good if you haven't tried it yet!

I haven't tried it yet, but given that chickpeas and rice are two of my favorite foods it sounds like a great way to use up the cabbage. Time to soak some chickpeas.

Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:58 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Moon wrote:
Hollie wrote:
Oh, hello there!

The Roasty Soba Bowl is my new favorite. It lasted me so many meals!

When I get cauliflower in my CSA, this is being made.

We made this for dinner tonight, but with broccoli and it was so, so, so good. So simple! So great for hot weather! We added avocado, and I think the leftovers will get red pepper flakes. Mmmm. I need to make more of these recipes.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We also just made the soba bowl and it was so good and easy. I tested for this book and at this point have easily made over 100 recipes and still hadn't tried that one. Just never seemed that appealing. So wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:54 am 
Saggy Butt

I brought my book with me to work today to find something to shop for on my way home to make to entertain myself for the long weekend. (No parties + dog terrified of fireworks = NETFLIX) Leaning toward the Nirvana Enchilada Casserole or the Kofta again because I loved it. But I guess I'm not gonna make it through the whole book if I keep re-making recipes.

What are yous guys making this weekend?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:30 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

New England Glam Chowder made with almond milk rather than cashew cream. Not as rich but still delicious. Cooking from this book is like ordering food in a really good restaurant - everything tastes as good as one would hope.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just moved into a new apartment by myself, for the time being. The kitchen is tiny (imagine a windowless closet), and there isn't even an oven, so I'll have to make do with my tiny toaster oven once again (which is *just* big enough for 6 silicone muffin molds on a tiny baking sheet, or half a pizza - if you're careful). I'm determined to live out of this book for the next couple of weeks, though - so we'll see how it works in extreme situations. I'm optimistic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:36 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I made the summer seitan saute last night. I made it once before when it first went up on the blog and loved it then. Always waiting for corn to appear at the market to make this one. It is so good. I love the lime, corn and mushrooms together. I used oyster mushrooms and soy curls instead of criminis and seitan.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made something resembling the Omaha Yakisoba. Savoy cabbage instead of red, garlic scrapes instead of garlic and mushrooms and corn, Spanish onions instead of green onions. So I shouldn't really review the recipe at all? But the sauce was super yummy, just the right amount of spicy, and making this took away my fear of udon. I love eating it but was always scared of cooking it. Now it's like, wow, that was easier that stir fry with rice, gonna do that again dammit!

It was very green and we liked it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Marzipan wrote:
I made the summer seitan saute last night. I made it once before when it first went up on the blog and loved it then. Always waiting for corn to appear at the market to make this one. It is so good. I love the lime, corn and mushrooms together. I used oyster mushrooms and soy curls instead of criminis and seitan.

I finally got around to eating my leftovers of this today! I didn't have super high hopes because it seemed so simple, but I really liked it. I added a huge zucchini to mine, which bulks it up quite a bit. Ate it over brown rice with some avocado and Frank's, and it really hit the spot. I just used boxed seitan, since it was on sale, and cooked it all in my wok, since the zucchini I used took up so much space. I bet the char it would get from my cast iron skillet would make it even better, though.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2054 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next