| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 96  Next
 Post subject: Re: Isa Does It
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:40 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Sutra wrote:
Nicole wrote:
Chickpea Rice Soup calls for cabbage and is really good if you haven't tried it yet!

I haven't tried it yet, but given that chickpeas and rice are two of my favorite foods it sounds like a great way to use up the cabbage. Time to soak some chickpeas.

Thanks for the tip.

I made this soup this morning and ate it for lunch. A bit bland, but sometimes thats what I need, and I'm sure it'll freeze well. It may just be that I didn't add the teaspoon of salt, and I probably used less broth paste than the recipe called for, so maybe it just needs a splash of soy sauce. I diced some beanie seitan sausage and stirred that in and that made the soup just right.

I ate the New England Glam Chowder for breakfast and that was even better than yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

Made the Creamy Leek and Potato soup again, that is so good, leek and potato was a childhood favourite growing up. Although I don't remember ever having a a creamy version growing up, so this was new.
My Dad was hovering about in the kitchen as this was cooking and kept asking "Is it ready yet?"
My sister who normally wouldn't eat soup, polished off a serving, has declared herself a convert to soup.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:39 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I know it's summer, but I'm really craving the Quinoa Lentil Kale stew stuff right now...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:14 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Nicole wrote:
I know it's summer, but I'm really craving the Quinoa Lentil Kale stew stuff right now...

This is one of my favorites! It's seriously so so so delicious.

I say eat it whenever you want! Who cares that it's summer!! You gotta fill a craving (and such a healthy one at that!) or else you might explode.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:32 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Nicole wrote:

I had a frozen single portion for lunch one day this week! In the cool office it was quite a lovely lunch :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the island black bean burgers for the first time since testing. So good! We used one peach instead of two nectarines for the salsa. I always shy away from homemade burgers for weeknight meals, because they seem fussy, but these are so easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:32 am 
WELFARIST!

The marbled banana bread was easy, beautiful, and so so tasty! I dropped off half the loaf to T, and he somehow ate 3 pieces in 10 minutes. I love the chocolatey flavor.

The chocolate zucchini bundt cake did not come out well in a loaf pan. Also, the batter was more like dough before I added the zucchini, so I'm sure I over mixed it, which made it kind of tough.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:05 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the puffy pillow pancakes. I topped them with strawberries and maple syrup. They were excellent! I also finally managed to make pancakes with out the batter getting all gloppy. (And it was so hard not to over mix because I could still see a little bit of flour.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:21 am 
BAD PASS

I made the Okra Gumbo on Saturday night. I grew up in SE Texas, where pretty much everyone had a cajun grandma or aunt or mom who had an authentic gumbo recipe that had been in their family for generations (I have tried really hard to find my mom's recipe to try to veganize it, but I don't think she had it written down anywhere and just made it from memory).

Anyway, the Okra Gumbo tastes absolutely nothing like the gumbo I grew up eating, but it's still really friggin' delicious. And it was even better the next day. If I want something that tastes like my old-time memories of gumbo, I can buy the Tony Chachere's boxed gumbo mix (because it's vegan!). If I want to make a delicious, veggie and bean filled masterpiece, I'll make this Okra Gumbo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:50 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hollie wrote:
I made the Okra Gumbo on Saturday night. I grew up in SE Texas, where pretty much everyone had a cajun grandma or aunt or mom who had an authentic gumbo recipe that had been in their family for generations (I have tried really hard to find my mom's recipe to try to veganize it, but I don't think she had it written down anywhere and just made it from memory).

Anyway, the Okra Gumbo tastes absolutely nothing like the gumbo I grew up eating, but it's still really friggin' delicious. And it was even better the next day. If I want something that tastes like my old-time memories of gumbo, I can buy the Tony Chachere's boxed gumbo mix (because it's vegan!). If I want to make a delicious, veggie and bean filled masterpiece, I'll make this Okra Gumbo.

I'm pretty obsessed with this gumbo if you want to try something traditional & homeade. http://vegansaurus.com/post/3638926427/ ... egan-gumbo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:55 am 
BAD PASS

Ooh, thanks! I AM going to try that.

I will say, though, that no gumbo I had growing up ever had tomatoes in it. All of the recipes I ever see online do, though. I don't know if my relatives just always omitted them or what.

I started defaulting to the box ones because they don't require a roux to get that same gumbo-y taste, so they're really low in fat/calories. But you know what? I deserve a gumbo with a roux, dammit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Marinated some tempeh for the Tempeh Giardino overnight, but then today I was in a bit of a hurry so it turned into a sort of scramble. But it was delicious! The marinade is just about the simplest thing imaginable, but the result is really really yummy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hollie wrote:
Ooh, thanks! I AM going to try that.

I will say, though, that no gumbo I had growing up ever had tomatoes in it. All of the recipes I ever see online do, though. I don't know if my relatives just always omitted them or what.

I started defaulting to the box ones because they don't require a roux to get that same gumbo-y taste, so they're really low in fat/calories. But you know what? I deserve a gumbo with a roux, dammit.

A good roux makes all the difference in the world. It's worth it to do like once a year!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I had the Tabbouleh of the Sea for lunch today. I'm not a huge cucumber or couscous fan, but this was really nice. Flavorful & fresh and it's a complete snap to whip up!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hollie wrote:
Dear everyone: You MUST make the Chandra Malai Kofta immediately.

I'm not even exaggerating when I say it is the best thing I've ever eaten. Even if my koftas (or is the plural just kofta?) did fall apart. I need one of my friends to have a dinner party immediately so I can make it FOR people. OMG. I can't wait for lunch.

I can't remember if I've posted in this thread yet, but I laughed when I read this, because this is how I felt when I made the malai kofta, too. :) I wish I could figure out how to make the dumplings stick together a little better, but that's hardly an issue when it's only my dignity that prevents me from drinking the cream sauce out of the fry pan.

Seriously, with a couple exceptions, everything in this book I've tried is just so dadgum good. I shy away from tofu and tempeh in general, but last night I made the tempeh meatballs with spaghetti and my whole family really liked it. I make the red pepper mac and dilly stew quite often. We also really like the risotto with shiitake bacon (I have to make double the shiitake bacon). I make chickpea salad all the time. The cookies are really good.

The only things that have been disappointing are the chocolate zucchini bundt (I couldn't get over the weird smell; it was just too off-putting) and the broccoli soup.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:32 am 
BAD PASS

Ha! I made just the sauce again about a week later just to have with rice and chickpeas.

I found a "lower fat" version that someone had invented on Sparkpeople that used potatoes in the kofta (and baked them), but they used yogurt instead of coconut milk so it wasn't even vegan anymore. Thumbs down.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:32 am 
Ninja Master

LisaPunk wrote:
i made the puffy pillow pancakes this morning and they were not very puffy.

when i was mixing the milk with flax and vinegar (vigorously!) it never foamed. is that essential to making them puffy?
they were definitely not 1 inch thick.

they were however very tasty! they were nice and spongy and soaked up the syrup nicely. we topped them with strawberries from our CSA like in the picture from the book

When i first made them, I totally missed that there should be water added to the batter as well and they came out really fat and awesome, but there was only 5, rather than the 6/7 I normally get. They are not that huge when I remember to add the water in but they do go further.

Last night I made the individual omelettes in heart shaped silicon muffin pans. I added veggies as well and some extra seasonings and they are AWESOME! Had one for brekkie in a toasted english muffin.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:30 am 
Saggy Butt

_afrofunk wrote:
Currently trying really hard not to finish the strawberry bread pudding. it's too good.

Amen to this! I picked up strawberries and blueberries for our 4th of July Feast/family event, knowing I wanted to incorporate them into some kind of dessert (so cliché, I know, red/blue, but it's a tradition) - even if just sliced fruit. I was terribly uninspired to create until that evening, when the fog rolled in and blanketed the entire area - so thick that fireworks were nearly impossible to see, except those directly in front of us.

With everyone shivering and jacketed, I popped into the kitchen to whip up the Strawberry Bread Pudding (with blueberries for the patriotic effect), then baked it while watching fireworks. I had no ice cream and no energy to make whipped cream, but honestly - it is SO amazingly decadent, it was just fine and satisfying on its own. Rave review from entire house of omni visitors.

I did add some fresh lemon zest to the glaze, which I think really added a nice touch.

So, so good... and dare I say, I think this could work with defrosted frozen berries, too (since it's all baked up - I didn't particularly notice the freshness of the berries, but rather an overall baked-fruit taste).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:29 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

VeganVamp wrote:
_afrofunk wrote:
Currently trying really hard not to finish the strawberry bread pudding. it's too good.

So, so good... and dare I say, I think this could work with defrosted frozen berries, too (since it's all baked up - I didn't particularly notice the freshness of the berries, but rather an overall baked-fruit taste).

Good to know, as I usually can't bear to bake with fresh strawberries and blueberries. The season for them is so short here that I just eat as many fresh berries as humanly possible during those weeks! That is one of the only dessert recipes in the book that I haven't made yet, but now that I know frozen could work, maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend.

We have an abundance of summer squash with our CSA, and today I made Tempeh Giardino. I have to say, I was not particularly enticed by this recipe, and I've skipped over it numerous times. I basically just made it to get rid of some summer squash and basil but OH MY GOD it is delicious. We don't have fresh tomatoes yet, so I subbed a can of fire roasted tomatoes (perfect sub, BTW) and I used 2 summer squash instead of one and it was A-MAY-zing. I seriously wanted to eat it all, but since we also have about 10 lbs of lettuce from said CSA, I limited myself to a third of the pan and a ginormous salad. Perfection.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:11 am 
Tofu Pup

It definitely works with frozen berries! I've made it several times and I loooooooooooooove it! Never had bread pudding before, it is such a revelation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Made the roasty soba bowl tonight. It was good but was such a weird concept for me. We thoroughly enjoyed them and they are so filling (and probably actually FEED FOUR PEOPLE) but this is a real "I am such a vegan newb" experience for me.

Will totally make again. Was easy, cheap, and stuff I regularly have access to (using whole wheat spaghetti).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:49 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Fusilli chard shiitake pasta dish was soooooo good. I made a lot of subs, but I think the flavor of the dish was the same.

Used half shiitake, half crimini, and half of what called for

Added white beans and some tofurky sausage at the end

Added white wine with the tomatoes

Subbed thyme for cilantro....I love cilantro but it sounded weird.

Will make again, just like this. Mushroom hating partner loved it too. We just polished off 4 servings by ourselves.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:29 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Chicki wrote:
Fusilli chard shiitake pasta dish was soooooo good. I made a lot of subs, but I think the flavor of the dish was the same.

Used half shiitake, half crimini, and half of what called for

Added white beans and some tofurky sausage at the end

Added white wine with the tomatoes

Subbed thyme for cilantro....I love cilantro but it sounded weird.

Will make again, just like this. Mushroom hating partner loved it too. We just polished off 4 servings by ourselves.

Your subs sound like mine, and the wine was key.

But if you generally like cilantro, I do recommend trying it that way. It made it a bit brighter. Though I can see thyme being a nice change.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:07 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My partner kinda hates cilantro thought (boooo)

I would try it with parsley, which I love. Or dill. Or oregano!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:35 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Made the carrot cake pancakes this morning. The first one was a shapeless mess but the rest looked beautiful. They tasted awesome. My husband, who hates carrots, loved them!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 96  Next