| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 84  Next
 Post subject: Re: Isa Does It
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:39 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Coming out of lurkdom to post about Isa Does It! This is an absolutely beautiful cookbook. It's big and substantial and feels so good in your hands. The softly mottled and muted colors of the recipe backgrounds add visual interest and texture without detracting from the readability of the recipe and keeping IT the focus. It's full of pure foodie greatness. The photos are TO. DIE. FOR. I sometimes just find myself at my kitchen table eating lunch staring into the yumminess that is the photos in this book. Isa, Vanessa, and the team that made this book come to life did a really superb job all around.

I LOVE the Harira with Eggplant and Chickpeas and have been eating it for breakfast everyday since I made it last weekend. It's absolutely delicious!

Last night, for our Halloween dinner, I made the Roasted Butternut Alfredo (though with acorn squash since I had roasted leftovers in the fridge) and it was great! It's been added to our fall/winter pasta night rotation. Yay! I topped it with tiny roasted butternut squash cubes, toasted pepitas, and chopped parsley. My 12yo might have licked the bowl while I looked the other way. I may make the texture a bit smoother the next time for my 9yo by cooking the onion and garlic mixture beforehand and adding it to the cashew cream ingredients as is done in the Roasted Red Pepper Mac and Cheese that was just posted on Isa's blog.

I have so many things that I want to try from this book. The ones next on my TO COOK list are:
Everyday Pad Thai
Roasty Soba Bowl with Miso-Tahini Dressing
New England Glam Chowder
Curried Peanut Sauce Bowl with Tofu & Kale
Cheddary Broccoli Soup
Korean BBQ Portobello Burgers
Lentil-a-roni
Pesto-Cauliflower Past with Breaded Tofu with the Bestest Oil-Free Pesto
Dilly Stew with Rosemary Dumplings
Island Black Bean Burgers
Falafel Burgers
Chandra Malia Kofta
Tempeh Meatballs & Spaghetti
a redo of the Spinach & Black Bean Burrito Bowl (I made one based on this but didn't use the exact seasoning amounts and didn't have a tomato so used salsa instead and I didn't love it, but I take full responsibility! LOL! I'd like to try it as Isa intended in the future)
Ancho Lentil Tacos
and so many more!!!

In years past, for New Years Eve dinner I've always make my family a decadent omni (hubby) & veggie (kids) meal and make myself a mushroom and truffle risotto (with the dairy stuff) and I'm so happy to see the White Wine Risotto with Peas and Shiitake Bacon because that's what I'm planning for myself THIS YEAR!! Vegan baby!! And I'll definitely shave a few slices of truffle on top!

I am so bleeping excited about this book!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:53 am 
Ninja Master

My dad just rang to ask what the big amazon package is that arrived today. I think it's this book I THINK IT'S THIS BOOK!!! Excited that it arrived before the weekend.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:53 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Making the Roasted Red Pepper Mac and Cheese tonight. To bake or unbake? That is the question? Anyone that's made it have a preference? Also instead of the tomato paste (which I am out of) and pizza seasoning I thought I would just add a couple tablespoons of canned pizza sauce?

Editing to add I just there is now an "Isa does it" video for this recipe. Now I am even more excited to try it tonight, it looks so good, can't wait for dinner time, just another 8 hours or so.......

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:22 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Another question.......

I want to make both the mushroom stroganoff and the sun-dried tomato penne. We don't drink so we never have wine in the house. Can I make these recipes with extra broth instead of the wine without compromising on the flavour to much?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

brontrent wrote:
Another question.......

I want to make both the mushroom stroganoff and the sun-dried tomato penne. We don't drink so we never have wine in the house. Can I make these recipes with extra broth instead of the wine without compromising on the flavour to much?

how much wine is called for?

also i don't see why not, there are plenty of people who for various reasons do not drink alcohol at all, so they often sub out the alcohol with extra liquid called for in the recipe.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oh my book is to arrive today, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:32 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

bookwormbethie wrote:
brontrent wrote:
Another question.......

how much wine is called for?

also i don't see why not, there are plenty of people who for various reasons do not drink alcohol at all, so they often sub out the alcohol with extra liquid called for in the recipe.

One recipe is 1/2 cup, one is 1/3. Thanks for your reply, I will give it a try. I am sure it will still be wonderful. Glad to hear your book is coming in time for some weekend reading!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:35 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I usually sub broth for wine when I don't have any around and don't feel like buying a bottle (rare, but it happens). You can also buy cooking wine. I don't know if that's a terrible idea though, because you're supposed to cook with wine you would drink, and I'm pretty sure cooking wine is gross. On Alton Brown's podcast, someone asked about this and he said to make a liquid that has the qualities of wine: fruity, acidic...and there was something else. So it was like watered down fruit juice with vinegar in it. Maybe that would work!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:30 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I use broth with a splash of balsamic when it calls for wine.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Cooking wine doesn't add the same flavor as wine you'd drink. I'd just use broth. You can buy these little juice box-sized wine things though, if you don't want to buy a whole bottle or large box just to cook with. We keep red wine around to drink, but I'm not a big fan of white, so I usually just buy those little ones for cooking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:57 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

j-dub wrote:
I use broth with a splash of balsamic when it calls for wine.

Yup, this! Just EASY on the splash. White Balsamic is good, too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:29 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Sweet & Sour Brown Rice Salad will become a frequent visitor in my fridge. WOW, the flavors are SO reminiscent of eating fresh and herb-y spring rolls at our local Vietnamese place. Here, local = 20 min away, so to have the ease and ability to re-create that amazing minty, vibrant taste so quickly - in my own kitchen - makes me OH so happy!

Subs: I had no bean sprouts, nor anything similar, so left those out - and used garbanzos instead of adzuki, because garbanzos were the only bean in the pantry...

I love the write-ups on grain salads and cold grains kept on-hand specifically for recipes. It seems so basic, but I would usually make rice or quinoa for a meal that evening, then just use up the leftovers as breakfast, porridge-style. The concept in IDI is that these grains SHOULD be cold/cooked ahead, before serving as the basis to a substantial salad. Lightbulb! And it sure makes me look at pre-preparing/soaking in a whole new light: when it's cooked or soaked, *it* can inspire your meal choice (and open up possibilities), rather than your seeking inspiration FIRST, and then having multiple steps to get from A-Z.

ABS! ♥

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:32 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lisacohen wrote:
This is an absolutely beautiful cookbook. It's big and substantial and feels so good in your hands. The softly mottled and muted colors of the recipe backgrounds add visual interest and texture without detracting from the readability of the recipe and keeping IT the focus.

AMEN! It's a true work of art. LOVE the paper weight: I keep checking to see if I've skipped a page, as each sheet is that thick and luxe.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:44 am 
Married to the wolfman

creep wrote:
You can buy these little juice box-sized wine things though, if you don't want to buy a whole bottle or large box just to cook with.

Oh man creep, this is a really good idea. We also pretty much never have white wine just sitting around, and it would be nice to be able to just rustle up a little bit from the pantry.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

lisacohen wrote:
In years past, for New Years Eve dinner I've always make my family a decadent omni (hubby) & veggie (kids) meal and make myself a mushroom and truffle risotto (with the dairy stuff) and I'm so happy to see the White Wine Risotto with Peas and Shiitake Bacon because that's what I'm planning for myself THIS YEAR!! Vegan baby!! And I'll definitely shave a few slices of truffle on top!

I am so bleeping excited about this book!!!

I'm making the spaghetti and tempeh meatballs from this book for New Years! I already decided as soon as I tasted them. I usually make a decadent feast for New Years too because I love to just stay at home and have a lovely meal--I often make southern fried BBQ tofu, macaroni&cheeze and coleslaw but I decided I want the spaghetti with tempeh meatballs this year! And garlic bread and probably a simple side salad to start with a basic lemon dressing, lettuce and tomato. But the tempeh meatballs and pasta and sauce for sure!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My book arrived. OMG. Love at first sight.

The alphabet soup bowl behind the dust jacket is brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:12 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

bookwormbethie wrote:
My book arrived. OMG. Love at first sight.

The alphabet soup bowl behind the dust jacket is brilliant.

OMG I have had my book for two weeks now and haven't even lifted the dust jacket off so I never knew that was there LOL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:34 pm 
Inflexitarian

i've made the beet salad w/ tempeh croutons and maple mustard dressing, sunflower mac, broccoli cheese soup and everything has turned out delicious.

this cookbook is definitely one of the better cookbooks that i have and can see myself using it a lot much like afr.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the chimichurri pumpkin bowl for the first time since testing. I think my major complaint then was that there wasn't enough sauce for the amount of stuff, so I reduced the noodles to 6 oz since it was only feeding two people anyway, and it was totally perfect that way. It might be enough for other people, but I like sauce! Also used acorn squash instead of pumpkin and sunflower seeds instead of pepitas this time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

SweetT wrote:
i've made the beet salad w/ tempeh croutons and maple mustard dressing, sunflower mac, broccoli cheese soup and everything has turned out delicious.

this cookbook is definitely one of the better cookbooks that i have and can see myself using it a lot much like afr.

I read your last sentence too quickly and I thought it said you can see yourself using it a lot much like air. I got a chuckle out of that, since I could see someone saying they'd use this book like it was oxygen!

I'm making the Glam Chowder and Olive Oil Bread right now. At first glance, both look and smell so good. I'll have to check back with a verdict after we actually eat it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:09 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

The roasted red pepper mac is un-freakin-believable! It is so orange and creamy you would never guess it could be vegan. It makes plenty of yummy sauce and I wish I had some green veggie like broccoli, spinach or brussel sprouts to add to it. If my kids were not watching I would have licked the bowl. They loved it too!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

creep wrote:
I made the chimichurri pumpkin bowl for the first time since testing. I think my major complaint then was that there wasn't enough sauce for the amount of stuff, so I reduced the noodles to 6 oz since it was only feeding two people anyway, and it was totally perfect that way. It might be enough for other people, but I like sauce! Also used acorn squash instead of pumpkin and sunflower seeds instead of pepitas this time.

Ha! When we made this I had left over sauce. It was really good.

Tonight I made the curry peanut sauce bowl with udon noodles, tofu, and kale. So good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Let's see if I can get this post out before I positively EXPLODE with passion for this recipe:

*~*CAST IRON STIR FRY*~*

No words can express how something so seemingly average/run-of-the-mill ("stir fry") can be THIS amazingly delectable.

First, the cast iron pan. I just purchased mine a few months ago (huge Lodge pre-seasoned skillet at Cost Plus World Market for $29), and I've not EVER cooked with it on a high flame (because it conducts heat so well, medium has been more than enough, thus far). NOT with this recipe! The smoking hot pan heats up that sesame oil, and then browns the tofu and chars the broccoli and other veggies to this flavor profile I've never experienced in my home kitchen. That charred taste is impossible to explain/illustrate (although perhaps thru interpretive dance? Not my forté).

Second, the charred broccoli co-mingled with the straightforward, made-in-a-flash, pantry-staple sauce. OH, that sauce. With that broccoli. IMMEDIATE transport to our favorite Korean food stand at the Emeryville Public Market (SF Bay Area).

Lastly, the basil chiffonade in each bite perfumes the palate, reminiscent of what I love most about Thai cuisine.

Subs: I had no onion or bell pepper, so I sub'd one hot red pepper for the flakes and bells, + a huge handful of scallions (cut on the bias) for the onion. They both charred beautifully and took on equally heightened new personas.

Also, someone ate the last avocado (grr!), but the stir fry is plenty amazing and satisfying without it.

My description cannot do this creation justice, but it is one that should NOT be passed by!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:23 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

The Diwali festival is already started from 1st November {it's 2nd November here in Australia} and I'm showered with 2 gifts yesterday :-)

My stars were aligned yesterday as I got two surprises. In early morning with this book from courier man and other one was from darling hubby shocked me with beautiful Swarovski jewellery set in late night. I'm totally spoiled :D

Well, the book looks great and sound like vegan recipes bible. Isa did wonderful job! Thank you so much for making our lives easy, Isa! Already bookmarked a list of recipes from here forum people. Off to enjoy my book with cuppa :-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:33 pm 
Tofu Pup

lisacohen wrote:
Coming out of lurkdom to post about Isa Does It! This is an absolutely beautiful cookbook... I am so bleeping excited about this book!!!

Me too. This book could change everything and I hope it does. I hope this raises the bar for what all cookbooks should look like. If I could only keep one cookbook of my several dozen, it would be this one. When my daughter moves out of college dorms and needs a cookbook, it will be this one I will get for her (and she's not even vegan).

Also, I made the Cheesy Broccoli Soup and it was SO GOOD. I have made many similar versions of this soup, mostly using soy milk instead of cashew cream, so I wasn't expecting it to taste so much better than any of the others but wow, did it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 84  Next