| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat May 30, 2015 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan with a Vengance 10th anniversary edition
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:33 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

It sounds like recipes have been changed / added in this edition, so I though it might be worth a different thread. Hope that's Ok!

I got the book and like the way it looks. Nothing it in looks overly complex, but everything looks delicious. I don't have the original so I don't really know how much it has changed.

Anyone make anything from this edition yet.

Post subject: Re: Vegan with a Vengance 10th anniversary edition
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:03 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I have the original, the UK edition, and love it. I am really tempted to buy the new edition because it looks so pretty and has photos.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:16 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I like the layout of the new one and the pictures are very pretty, but I should have purchased the original version. All of the baked goods have been changed to use coconut oil and I don't care for coconut oil. I understand why Isa did it, but that renders quite a few of the recipes unusable as written for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jlm1075 wrote:
...All of the baked goods have been changed to use coconut oil ...
Really all of them? And no subs? I like coconut oil, but it's expensive and also it took me ages to work out a way of softening it that worked for me (I pre-warm my toaster oven for a couple of minutes and then leave the jar in there for 20 mins or so, so I have to have plenty of advance notice before I start baking).

https://dropscone.wordpress.com/ - frugal recipes & finds in the UK

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:16 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Yeah, this coconut oil trend is really irritating, to say the least. That said...I just received my copy today. I loved the original version and cooked many, many recipes out of it, but haven't cooked out of it for awhile. I bought this on a whim, but I'm so glad I did! It's beautiful, and with new recipes, updates on many of the old ones, and gorgeous photos throughout, it really feels like a new cookbook! And even though it's ten years old, the recipes are still very current, if you know what I mean. It was worth the splurge. Now, off to the kitchen to reconnect with tried-and-true (and improved) recipes, as well as trying out the new recipes!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:46 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm shy to admit it, but I don't know why coconut oil has been substituted for other oil in the baking recipes in the new edition. Can someone please explain? Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:52 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Melody wrote:
I'm shy to admit it, but I don't know why coconut oil has been substituted for other oil in the baking recipes in the new edition. Can someone please explain? Thank you.

Something about palm oil in earth balance, I believe... not sure though.

I am excited about this book, but I didn't realize it was coming out so soon so I got the old one for Christmas. Now to justify the new one...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:01 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

dropscone wrote:
jlm1075 wrote:
...All of the baked goods have been changed to use coconut oil ...
Really all of them? And no subs? I like coconut oil, but it's expensive and also it took me ages to work out a way of softening it that worked for me (I pre-warm my toaster oven for a couple of minutes and then leave the jar in there for 20 mins or so, so I have to have plenty of advance notice before I start baking).

I can't say for sure that it was all of them, but I'd say it's probably darn near close to it. It obviously doesn't apply to those recipes that would traditionally use liquid oils, but to those where a more solid fat like butter in non-vegan or earth balance sticks in vegan cooking was used.

I suspect the substitution was made because of the issues with palm oil. I don't remember that Isa addressed if you wanted to sub back the earth balance (or similar vegan margarine) and how you would go about doing that. She does mention what to do if you wanted to sub coconut oil in when you veganize a recipe so I think you could probably reverse engineer her recipes the other way.

I really dislike coconut oil in general and in baked goods in particular so, imo, I'll probably just skip those recipes altogether and get the original VWAV or I'll use someone else's recipe instead. I really like Isa's recipes otherwise so, imo, the switch was really disappointing.

Last edited by jlm1075 on Tue May 19, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:06 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Wouldn't it just be a pretty straight swap of solid fat for solid fat? I would think you could just use shortening or EB in place of coconut oil?

I haven't really tested this hypothesis so feel free to tell me if I am completely wrong.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:13 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Moon wrote:
Wouldn't it just be a pretty straight swap of solid fat for solid fat? I would think you could just use shortening or EB in place of coconut oil?

I haven't really tested this hypothesis so feel free to tell me if I am completely wrong.

I would imagine so. I know that with margarine and shortening you're supposed to add some water with one of them (I can't remember which) but I am 99% sure I've swapped them in equal amounts before. The texture may be a bit different (a pie crust made with all margarine vs. all shortening is slightly tougher) but it'll work. I've not really experimented much with subbing for cocoanut oil.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:51 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Moon wrote:

I have successfully used shortening in place of coconut oil in the isa does it rosemary chocolate chip cookies (I've actually never made the recipe as written) so this seems like it would probably be doable.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:37 am 
Baking In The Flavor

How many new recipes are there?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:57 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I just bought it so I will find out soon enough!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

zwingtip wrote:
Moon wrote:

I have successfully used shortening in place of coconut oil in the isa does it rosemary chocolate chip cookies (I've actually never made the recipe as written) so this seems like it would probably be doable.

I've used margarine in that recipe and it worked just fine as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:17 pm 
Semen Strong

She posted about why she moved away from palm oil here. http://www.theppk.com/2013/04/buttersco ... nut-bacon/ It's very informative and worth a read, and after hearing her thoughts, I prefer coconut oil as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:23 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well, maybe I'll just use the palm free margarine instead of the coconut oil, I find it a bit tedious to work with.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:26 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tofulish wrote:
She posted about why she moved away from palm oil here. http://www.theppk.com/2013/04/buttersco ... nut-bacon/ It's very informative and worth a read, and after hearing her thoughts, I prefer coconut oil as well.

I prefer vegetable oil for most baking (that doesn't specifically require a solid fat for e.g. creaming with sugar) because it's cheaper, easier to work with and still gets around the conflicting information problem of palm oil. I do see the point for frosting though, and I do like that tip re. apple sauce.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:50 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hope the above doesn't look like I'm criticising Isa! It's just a personal preference on the oil thing. I do plan to get this book (I already have the original) because I'm excited to see the new recipes and how it's been updated.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:02 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Mine is supposed to be arriving any day now! Can. Not. Wait.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:39 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

mine is on the way :) i am hoping for at least a few new recipes, but i like the move to coconut oil. I don't mind it at all and it is easier for me to get vs. earth balance etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:09 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I wouldn't worry too much about coconut oil. I've just compared the two versions and there isn't that much of a change. Or at least not so much that it's impossible to work around.

It looks like it's only the baked goods that have been changed to coconut. Two of the scone recipes have changed to coconut, one in conjunction with canola oil. The pancakes, waffles, and muffins all call for canola oil. Four of the cookie recipes have changed to coconut; the rest are canola. Biscotti, brownies, and blondies are all canola. Quick breads and cakes call for canola. The cupcakes themselves use canola oil, but two have coconut oil in the frosting. The gingerbread apple pie uses coconut oil in the crust, but the other pies are made with an olive oil crust. There's also a cheesecake with coconut oil in the crust.

As a rule, to replace butter or margarine with a solid fat (like coconut oil or shortening), you use 80% fat and 20% liquid. In reverse, you can withhold a small amount of the liquid in a recipe, but I think those who don't like coconut oil could do 1-to-1 without too much of a problem in these recipes.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:51 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Blueberry wrote:
How many new recipes are there?

I would also like to know how many of the recipes are new. I have no less than three copies of the original Vegan with a Vengeance so it's hard to justify getting a fourth.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:14 pm 

I'm happy that I'm not the only one, LFL. I have one on Kindle, a UK hard copy, an American hard copy, and now the new one.

I'll go through it recipe by recipe and post the new ones later tonight.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:26 am 

Overall, I think the new version worth buying just due to the significant updating and streamlining of the recipes. I never use Earth Balance margarine or shortening anymore, so I'm happy to have the coconut oil versions. Same thing with TVP. I haven't gone near the stuff for close to ten years so, for me, the new burger and chorizo recipes are worth having.

There are new sections with tips on making perfect pancakes and pizza, marinating tofu, and "taming your tofu."

The new recipes are:

Black Bean and Quinoa Soup*
Chickpea and Rice Soup with a Little Kale*
Rich Vegetable Broth
Lentil Walnut Burgers (the veggie burgers with TVP are not in the new book)
Breakfast Lentil Chorizo (TVP version is gone)
Brussels Sprout Fried Rice*
BLT Mac and Cheese*
Eggplant Bacon*
Creamy Red Chard Linguine*
Tofu Chimichurri
Lemongrass Noodle Bowl with Mock Duck*
Black-Eyed Pea Curry with Collards and Potatoes*
Rustic Lentil Stew over Polenta* (as Rustic Winter Stew over Polenta on the website)
Savoury Crepes
Peanut Butter Crisscrosses**
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies**
Cranberry White Chocolate Biscotti**
Kitchen Sink Chocolate Biscotti**
Deluxe Cocoa Brownies**
Call Me Blondies*
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Praline Topping***
Olive Oil Double Pie Crust***
Cosmos Apple Pie***
Ginger Peach Pie

*Website
**Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
***Vegan Pie in the Sky

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I didnt realize the many of the new recipes are from other books or online. Mhm. Oh well, I preordered it and am still waiting for it to arrive. I was mostly glad that it seemed to look so much prettier than the original.