| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Dinner Is Possible
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:39 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

http://www.amazon.com/Another-Dinner-Po ... 281&sr=8-2

All I know is the authors run a mobile vegan kitchen in Brighton,UK call the Anarchists Teapot.http://www.eco-action.org/teapot/

Does anyone have this cookbook and what can you tell me? I ordered it today so was curious. TIA

Post subject: Re: Another Dinner Is Possible
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

It's a GREAT book. It was my first vegan cook book & I still use it a lot. I love the tofu burgers, toad in the hole, root vegetable cobbler, lasagne I could go on.... Ever recipe I've cooked has been really good.
It's interesting & has lots of useful info as well as great recipes. Because The Teapot cooks at lots of events many of the recipes are easy to use for large groups.
Hope you enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:15 pm 

Chickpea wrote:
It's a GREAT book. It was my first vegan cook book & I still use it a lot. I love the tofu burgers, toad in the hole, root vegetable cobbler, lasagne I could go on.... Ever recipe I've cooked has been really good.
It's interesting & has lots of useful info as well as great recipes. Because The Teapot cooks at lots of events many of the recipes are easy to use for large groups.
Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks chickpea!! Now I am even more excited to receive my copy. Just went back to Amazon and it looks like there are no more copies for less than 28 bucks and I got mine for 7..yay!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:07 pm 
Chard Martyr

I had this book when I was in the US, but I sold it before I left because nothing really appealed that much to me (and it took up a lot of space!). Having said that, I loved how British it was and copied down a couple of particularly English recipes before I sold it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:19 am 
Nailed to the V

It's OK.

The authors used to run a 'vegan bakehouse' a couple of doors up from my work called The Beanstalk, which was absolutely horrible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:11 pm 

Quite a difference in opinions so I will be interested to try some things and see how they turn out.Thanks for all the input so far.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

the root vegetable casserole with scone topping is delicious!

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:01 am 

So the book came and after looking through it...there are quite a few things that look good to me. I will let you know what I decide to make from it and how it turns out. I think I will start with Nut Croustade and Vegetable Korma.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:45 am 

Oooh, I've never made either of those so I'll look forward to hearing how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:44 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Ghost Lips wrote:

The authors used to run a 'vegan bakehouse' a couple of doors up from my work called The Beanstalk, which was absolutely horrible.

Oh wow was that them? I was always annoyed that they didn't bake their own muffins, they were all packaged & kinda gross.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:51 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I've got this book, and enjoyed a few of the recipes from it so far. I keep meaning to try some of the cakes and sweets, they look good. I also like that it's full of good, basic recipes that can be adapted for huge numbers - I guess that's not useful for everyone, but I thought it was a good feature to recommend the book.
When I was in Brighton in late '09, I cooked with Isy (one of the authors) at the Cowley Club... it was really fun, and she is lovely.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Someone posted the recipe for the bounty bars from this book on her blog once and I tried them. The coconut mix tasted very good! But the bars never set completely, which I blame on the fact that all the vegan margarine around here is way too soft. If you have access to a harder marg or shortening, I'm sure they would firm up properly!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:04 pm 

gunk wrote:
I've got this book, and enjoyed a few of the recipes from it so far. I keep meaning to try some of the cakes and sweets, they look good. I also like that it's full of good, basic recipes that can be adapted for huge numbers - I guess that's not useful for everyone, but I thought it was a good feature to recommend the book.
When I was in Brighton in late '09, I cooked with Isy (one of the authors) at the Cowley Club... it was really fun, and she is lovely.

I like that they can be adapted for huge numbers as well since I have 5 kids, and also want to start having large vegan dinner parties over the summer!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:44 pm 

The only sweet thing I've made from Another Dinner Is Possible was the marble cake which was good (but I don't think you can beat Isa's cake/pudding/cookie recipes so I usually just use her books for sweet stuff)

I've met Isy at an event The Teapot were catering for & I have to say I thought she was lovely too. I've never eaten a bad meal she has cooked. Which considering she is cooking for such a lot of people with very limited utensils/facilities is quite something really!

So have you made anything yet?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:50 am 
Chip Strong

I've made the goulash and the potato gratin from this book before, which both tasted great but didn't look very appetising! I do really like the basic pancake batter recipe though, and even meat-eating friends who've tried them think they're pretty good.

Looking back through it, I fancy a go at the toad in the hole recipe though, which is something I hadn't considered could be veganised before.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:03 am 
Chip Strong

I made the chocolate brownies from this book to take to a party last night and they were amazing! Pretty much everyone there was a non-vegan and they loved them. They came out really gooey in the middle/bottom and crunchy on the top. It was a slightly complex recipe but well worth it! In addition to the walnuts suggested in the book I also added some raisins and dried cranberries.