| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Whole Grain Vegan Baking
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

I did a ton of baking out of this book in the past week.

- Pull-Apart Cinnamon Bread: I tried neatly stacking the layers into a loaf pan, as the recipe directs, but I had some trouble with this step. In the end, I just kinda smushed my layers into the pan and hoped for the best. It turned out delicious and was promptly devoured by all.
- Amaranth Olive Bread: I was baking this for my family, and we have olive haters amongst us (not me! Love 'em) so I turned this into a dried cranberry and walnut bread. It was super yum; great as a dipper with soup or chili.
- Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies: I do love the flavor of these cookies, but as mentioned before the texture seemed a bit dense and tough for me. My husband, whom I baked them for, didn't have any complaints!
- Streusel Berry Cupcakes: Delish! I will say, they may not completely impress an eater who isn't used to a "healthier" tasting cupcake, because the Sucanat streusel topping doesn't taste like a conventional streusel. But it was very good and I especially loved the Berry Coulis from the book that went into them.
- Caramel Nut Barley Squares: Hands down, my favorite so far from the book! I had to hide the batch from myself after tasting a sliver, because I'm saving them for entertaining soon. Holy moly, are these ever good! Tastes like all the toppings from a turtle sundae, without the ice cream. Which of course, gives me ideas for how to serve them....

I've baked more from this book since receiving it than any other book, and I'm still excited about all the things I have yet to try!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bummer about the dense-ness of the spciy cranberry cornbread. was it at least moist?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Is pound cake supposed to be really dense? It tastes good, but it's super dense and gummy. I'm not sure if that's just the texture of pound cake, or if I overmixed or did something else wrong. There's visibly a half inch at the bottom that's denser and thicker than the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:31 am 
Nailed to the V

creep wrote:
Is pound cake supposed to be really dense? It tastes good, but it's super dense and gummy. I'm not sure if that's just the texture of pound cake, or if I overmixed or did something else wrong. There's visibly a half inch at the bottom that's denser and thicker than the rest.

That has happened to me with pound cakes, too. I noticed that it only seems to happen when the recipe is a lower-fat version of the original. I can't remember off the top of my head if this version is like that because I haven't made it yet. Is there applesauce or yogurt in it? If so, that could be why the texture is the way it is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

creep wrote:

pound cake is supposed to be a dense-ish cake but at the same time it is supposed to have a nice crumb with a light "butterly" taste and not feel gummy or heavy in the poundcake definitely should not be gummy at the bottom.

this has happened to me before with a brown bread recipe that baked in a 9" x 5" glass pyrex dish. make a metal bread pan would have made a difference and conducted the heat differently? said recipe calls for 1 cup plain soy yogurt.

i've made a vegan "quickbreads" that were wonderful, no gumminess at all, but then again they weren't poundcake recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I did use a glass loaf pan, but I have a metal one. The recipe didn't specify what material the pan should be.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the chocolate cherry scones and they are so fluffy and tasty! Although I replaced the dried cherries with cranberries, because that's what I had. Very nice. I bet they would be super good with a bit of melted chocolate ganache drizzled on top. Mmmm.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:56 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I made a loaf of the Hearty Barley Fruit Bread, and I loved loved loved it! It was everything I wanted it to be, and now it is long gone, and I want more.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:22 am 
Nailed to the V

I am wondering, if i am doing something wrong.

A: for the wet stuff, when you are supposed to be proofing yeast. I always feel like i'm missing the step where they say "add yeast". (so i just do in my bread book, and add the liquid to the yeast, and then the yeast too the dry)

B: i live in the mountains. so i also wonder if that is causing my whole grain stuff to be a bit dryer/denser than usual? do i have to add more liquid? less baking time?

i mean everythingi've made (all of 2 things) are delicious, but still)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:03 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

On hold at my library. It will be a couple of months.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i should really try to make those PB suprise cookies this weekend, I bought the few ingredients I needed a few weeks back but haven't done anything yet. I was for sure going to sub sunflower butter for the PB due to allergies.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

Daisy, I just happened to pop over and see your message. Sometimes I get notifications on the post, but if I don't check when I get one, it seems I quit getting them for a bit. Maybe it's my imagination, or maybe it just notifies once, I have no clue.

Anyway... on to you!

The yeast! In that book, I think we almost always (if not always) used active dry yeast. Active dry yeast should be "proofed" in liquid. It should get bubbly before you add to the dry ingredients.

The mountains! Sorry, I'm not familiar with elevation baking at all. I'm no help there!

If you want to let us know which breads are giving you problems, we'll do our best to trouble shoot more with you.

Thanks for liking the book!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:54 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just made the onion caraway beer bread, but used rosemary and thyme instead of onion and caraway. It's really good! I've never had beer bread before, but it's great! I think I'm going to have to make a tomato soup to eat with it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

i made the lemon spelt scones this morning and they were really great!
my hubs and I each ate one and the others are in the freezer awaiting future consumption.
yum!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Can the cracked wheat pan rolls be doubled with the stand mixer? Seven people live in my house, and I don't think 12 rolls will suffice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

I don't typically double yeast bread recipes, but that might just be me.... sorry I don't have a rock solid answer for you on this one.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

Just wanted to let everyone know that we are starting a blog tour for this tomorrow. It will include lots of giveaways, recipes, reviews, etc. Check my blog for details and good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:53 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

For those of you who don't already have a copy and aren't following the blog tour, I reviewed a couple recipes and I'm giving away a copy on my blog.

Whole Grain Vegan Baking Giveaway

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:37 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I made the Five-Grain Waffles this morning. Using my postage scale to weigh everything, I know my measurements were accurate. That said, the resulting batter was way too think. It resembled partially set up concrete. I just added more non dairy milk until the batter was still thick but workable. The resulting waffles were delicious! It is a recipe I will use again and again.

I do think next time I am going to try replacing the called for vanilla yogurt with more non-dairy milk, though. (I used unsweetened soy milk.) Generally, I am used to seeing baking soda employed in any quick bread type recipe that contains yogurt, soured non-dairy milk or that sort of thing. This recipe solely calls for baking powder. No matter what, I think this recipe will likely require more liquid, but, where the batter was so thick, I think the change might make for a thinner batter without changing the waffle's flavor.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:15 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the English Muffin Bread and it was awesome! They recommended weighing the ingredients but I skipped that part and it still came out fine. I never make bread so I was super proud of myself.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:44 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

One thing I really like about this cookbook is that it does include weight measurements. Where so many of the recipes have a fair number of ingredients (most of which I am measuring straight out of the small bags they were purchased in) I find that weighing speeds up the process while assuring accuracy.

All in all, I really love this book! Everything I have made from it so far has been really, really good.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the chocolate speculoos doughnuts recently and they are, as you can imagine, absolutely amazing! They were so moist and not too sweet which I liked. I gave one to a fussy omni friend and his immediate reaction was a very loud "MmmmmmMMMMMM!" so I think these would be great to share at work, parties, potlucks etc.

I also made the roasted vegetable tart. Very good and easy to do the crust and the filling with a food processor. It was even better for lunch the next day. Will make again!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was travelling a bit for work this week, and since hotel breakfasts aren't usually too vegan-friendly and I didn't have time to go out for breakfasts, I made the cashew carrot loaf and took a few slices with me. The recipe sounded really interesting so I'd been keen to give it a try for a while. It's really good, perfect for breakfasts on the go! I love quick breads like zucchini bread, but I hate that they usually use a cup of sugar- this recipe uses none! But it's still sweet from the orange juice and raisins, and so rich from the cashews that you definitely wouldn't think it was whole grain if you didn't know. So great, will definitely make again and probably freeze some for rushed mornings.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:47 am 
Not NOT A Furry

What two flours would you buy to get started on a good range of recipes? I have to buy everything in bulk from Amazon so I need to choose wisely.

Then: what would be your third if the first two weren't too expensive?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I already had AP flour, bread flour, and WW pastry flour, so I bought spelt. I haven't baked with it yet, but I felt like it was the one I was seeing most often.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next