| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Whole Grain Vegan Baking
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:33 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I finally got around to trying out the Spicy Cranberry Cornbread recipe. Generally, my husband has never loved any of the cornbread recipes I have made that include extra ingredients preferring his cornbread straight up. Both of us love this recipe, though. I think the combination of jalapeno, scallions and cranberries is absolutely inspired!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:12 am 
Nailed to the V

Yesterday, I made the Pretty and Wheaty Pretzels for the second time. Boy, are they good! And they really are so easy to make. My kids annihilate them with Dreena Burton's Veg-veeta Dip. Next I want to try the Perfect Pita Bread.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:39 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Inspired by the good feedback it has had here, I made the Spicy Cranberry Cornbread and I love it! I added some extra cranberries but used a bit less jalapeno than specified just because I didn't have enough. I love that it bakes in a cast iron skillet because I've never baked anything in there before. I will definitely make again and with more jalapeno!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:51 am 
Nailed to the V

ComradeSquirrel wrote:
Inspired by the good feedback it has had here, I made the Spicy Cranberry Cornbread and I love it! I added some extra cranberries but used a bit less jalapeno than specified just because I didn't have enough. I love that it bakes in a cast iron skillet because I've never baked anything in there before. I will definitely make again and with more jalapeno!

I just got my very first cast-iron skillet for my birthday and was wondering what I should make to break it in. Your post has me convinced. Spicy Cranberry Cornbread, you will be mine!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If it's not seasoned yet, cornbread's not really the best place to start, fyi!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 am 
Nailed to the V

creep wrote:

Yeah, I need to read up on the whole cast-iron thing. I believe there's a whole thread on here somewhere about it...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:45 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

beethecookie wrote:
creep wrote:

Yeah, I need to read up on the whole cast-iron thing. I believe there's a whole thread on here somewhere about it...

Is your cast-iron skillet pre-seasoned? If it is, you'll be ok. Though I now use it to cook all sorts of things, I picked up my small pre-seasoned skillet specifically to make this recipe as my other cast-iron skillets were all too large. The cornbread turned out perfectly. There was no sticking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:15 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the speculoos doughnuts for my baking meetup yesterday. Delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:01 am 
Nailed to the V

weaver wrote:
beethecookie wrote:
creep wrote:

Is your cast-iron skillet pre-seasoned? If it is, you'll be ok. Though I now use it to cook all sorts of things, I picked up my small pre-seasoned skillet specifically to make this recipe as my other cast-iron skillets were all too large. The cornbread turned out perfectly. There was no sticking.

Thanks for this! My skillet is pre-seasoned, and we've now made a chickpea flour omelette and a grilled Daiya in it, so I think I might go for the cornbread. It sounds too good to pass up!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:42 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I bought this book when it was published but have yet to make anything. What is your favorite, must-make? It looks like the cornbread is really popular.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

KrisB wrote:
I bought this book when it was published but have yet to make anything. What is your favorite, must-make? It looks like the cornbread is really popular.

me too! didn't this book come out in late spring? i remember thinking the timing was slightly off, in my humble opinion, but am so glad fall is around the corner, i hope! i haven't made anything yet either but i did buy the ingredients to make the whole grain sandwich bread on page 92. i ♥ the bulk bins at earth fare!

i made a long list of all the recipes i want to try, and i definitely look forward to hearing some of the must-makes from this book too.

p.s. i think there was a blog tour for this book...... yup found the link....... i'm sure these bloggers have yummy stories to share!
http://www.veganappetite.com/2013/05/ba ... -tour.html

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:28 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for the tour link, bookwormbethie!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

This book has lots of gems! The Pretty and Wheaty Pretzels, the Cornbread, the Perfect Pita Bread, the Tortillas. There's a Peanut Butter Surprise Cookie with Sriracha that's pretty awesome. I know I've tried other recipes from the book but those are the ones that stand out just off-hand. Great book!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:18 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I am really excited about this book! So far i have made:
Pesto knots: super good! I woke up this morning and tried to snack on some but it looks like my family ate them all.
Spelt quiche crust: I really like this crust. It was really easy to make and only has three ingredients. I basically followed the recipe for the filling, but no mushrooms and more other-veggies. Plus some vegan swiss cheese
Noochy crackers: tasty, but not at all what i remember gold fish tasting like.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:41 am 
Discovered unobtainium

If you want to bake your own goldfish, you need to use the junkiest possible ingredients. You can't recreate junk food using whole wheat.

I wish I could remember the recipe I tried a few years ago. They used lots of oil, nooch, and regular white flour. They were delicious, but a total pain in the asparagus to make. I classify them with jelly donuts: I'll eat them if somebody else makes them for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I bought this when it was new and still haven't made anything other than the pound cake, which I didn't really enjoy. I even bought spelt flour for this book and haven't opened it yet. Any favorite recipes that use spelt?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:51 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The spelt quiche crust is really good! I'm sure you could fill it with something other than quiche.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:14 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

creep wrote:
I bought this when it was new and still haven't made anything other than the pound cake, which I didn't really enjoy. I even bought spelt flour for this book and haven't opened it yet. Any favorite recipes that use spelt?

If you have Vegan Brunch, there are muffins that use spelt and they're awesome (the blueberry ginger, I think, and maybe another one). I've also been using spelt to replace half the white flour in various recipes, always with good results. I made the olive oil bread from IDI and used half spelt, 1/4 whole wheat, and 1/4 white and it was good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

Dave the Cat wrote:
creep wrote:

If you have Vegan Brunch, there are muffins that use spelt and they're awesome (the blueberry ginger, I think, and maybe another one). I've also been using spelt to replace half the white flour in various recipes, always with good results. I made the olive oil bread from IDI and used half spelt, 1/4 whole wheat, and 1/4 white and it was good.

I do this too, and it always works out well. And yes, the spelt muffins in VB are very good! Plus, if you have Dreena's books, she likes to use spelt in her recipes too. Not to derail this thread!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:48 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Has anyone made the "Tapanade and White Bean Buns"? They're a filled bun (like a calzone) and they look like they'd make a great tasty lunch. However, I'm thinking of making the full-sized recipe of 6 buns and keeping them in the fridge (or freezer???) for work lunches for a few days. If anyone has tried them, I'd love to know if they were (a) yummy and (b) held up well if you had leftovers. The filling doesn't seem like it would be too saucy, so hopefully it wouldn't sog out the bun too much. I won't be adding garlic to the dough as garlic and work don't mix well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6