| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Whole Grain Vegan Baking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:23 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

weaver wrote:
vgnwitch wrote:
I've never seen soy yogurt anywhere. I simply use soured non-dairy milk as a replacement. Because milk is obviously thinner than yogurt, I sometimes use a bit less than the full amount called for in a recipe.

That is a great idea and one I am going to try. (Once I run through the special ordered CASE of unsweetened soy yogurt I had to buy in order to lay my hands on the stuff, that is!)

I just purchased an 8 inch cast iron skillet in order to try out the Spicy Cranberry Cornbread recipe. It is so cute! It was really cheap, too. My rational for purchase, other than wanting to try a recipe that contains cornmeal, cranberries, jalapeno, and other really interesting ingredients, is that I'll be able to use it in other ways.

the whole reason I bought the book was for the spicey cranberry cornbread recipe but Earth Fare does not have corn flour in the bulk bins and I don't think I saw any Bob's or Arrowhead in the baking aisle :( Still, there are tons of other recipes I want to make.

P.S. I'm pretty sure you can sub silken soft tofu for unsweetened soy yogurt. That is what I plan to do. I'm trying to find this previous thread on the PPK (need to search for it) but I think someone successfully froze the mori-nu silken tofu, they blendered it up first, and then froze it. I'm going to try that since I won't need the whole pack of mori-nu for the brownies I'll be making later today or tomorrow (different cookbook)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erinnerung wrote:
I'm so glad that I bent the rules of my self-imposed cookbook buying ban for this one! Well done Celine and Tami, it's a gorgeous book and I'm so impressed with your creativity. I've mentally bookmarked about a dozen recipes to try soon, but I started out this weekend with the peanut butter surprise cookies and the pesto knots.

The cookies are great, really different to anything else and they taste kind of like satay cookies- in the most delicious way possible! Boyfriend is usually skeptical about 'weird' combinations, but he's been loving these too. The consistency was perfect- I've made plenty of wholemeal and oat flour cookies before, but the texture is usually a bit noticeably 'healthier'. Definitely not the case with these! .................

Awesome! The cookies are the first recipe I plan to try too! I plan to sub sunflower seed butter for the peanut butter (due to allergies) and I could not find amarth flour in the bulk bins at Earth Fare, but since the recipes just calls for 1 TBS I plan on just using an extra TBS of WW pastry flour and hoping for the best!

I did see amarth flour bagged in the baking aisle, but I did not buy it since I just needed such a small amount. I did see bulk amarth grain though, I might have could of tried food processing it, but I passed. I really should get a tiny coffee grinder for occassions like this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:48 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

Yes, a coffee grinder works great here! My grain mill is too large for such tiny grains. I always do millet, quinoa, amaranth and such in a coffee grinder. Works also for rice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:17 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I really need to get this book! I just took the surprise pb cookies out of the oven (saw them on look inside on Amazon) and they look perfect! I subbed spelt for the wwp flour and the amaranth because i was just sort of baking on a whim and, anyway, they look perfect. will report back in about 5 minutes when i try one.

ETA - these are fab! I really like the 5 spice and the spiciness! Weird cookies for sure and I probably wouldn't bring them to a potluck unless it was for super adventurous folk, but they are super good. Also, the texture of the cookies is great! I feel like usually whole grain cookies just sort of stay in the same shape as when you put them in the oven, but these flattened out really nicely. I made smallish cookies, so I got 16 of them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bookwormbethie wrote:
question: can i used regular vegan milk in the recipes that call for refridgerated coconut milk (or the shelf stable kind)?

example, i'd love to try the double cranberry scones on page 20 or the chocolate cherry scones on page 21 but both call for 1/2 cup and 3/4 cup refridgerated coconut milk respectively ......

the reason i ask is because i've tried the soy delicious coconut based ice cream and i am not a fan, mainly because i find the coconut flavor/taste a bit overwhelming. i suppose i am not a huge fan of coconut. i am concerned that in the baked goods, there will be a lingering coconut flavor (mild or strong) that i will not enjoy. esp since on page 16 the authors mention that coconut milk "brings such a wonderful and unique taste to foods."

in case anyone else isn't overly fond of coconut and/or has allergies, I sent Tami a private message and she wrote back saying the sub would be fine :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bookwormbethie wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can sub silken soft tofu for unsweetened soy yogurt. That is what I plan to do. I'm trying to find this previous thread on the PPK (need to search for it) but I think someone successfully froze the mori-nu silken tofu, they blendered it up first, and then froze it. I'm going to try that since I won't need the whole pack of mori-nu for the brownies I'll be making later today or tomorrow (different cookbook)

I've never tried this exact method, but I would caution against it. Freezing silken tofu usually separates it and makes it pretty unpleasant. Try blending it with a splash of lemon juice instead. I used to do this before plain soy yoghurt was widely available here, including in baking (naan was my favourite use of this trick!) and it always worked a treat!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:47 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Erinnerung wrote:
I've never tried this exact method, but I would caution against it. Freezing silken tofu usually separates it and makes it pretty unpleasant. Try blending it with a splash of lemon juice instead. I used to do this before plain soy yoghurt was widely available here, including in baking (naan was my favourite use of this trick!) and it always worked a treat!

I have tried freezing silken tofu in the past and it was a disaster. I definitely wouldn't recommend it, either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think I'll make something today. Need to figure out what. I've got a ridiculously overstocked pantry, and found my hidden bag of spelt, so I have lots of options. Two plain Greek yogurts to use up by next week!

What I do with leftover silken tofu: make a batch of salad dressing, like a creamy agave mustard or some such, then make up a chickpea/couscous wrap or two for lunches. Otherwise, the only other possible option is a batch of brownies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Do you guys know what coconut sugar looks like and where to buy it? The book also mentioned coconut nectar, which I think I might have and is a syrup. So, are they they same thing? Do you think I could sub in another sweetener instead, because that nectar I bought was ridiculously expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:25 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think they address subs for it in the first chapter. Wegmans sells coconut sugar, and it's way too expensive ($8 for a small bag).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

agreed they do mention a sub in the first chapter, off hand i want to say sucant, but definitely check your book to make sure....

too late about the freezing of the silken tofu. it's no big deal. i just dolloped what was left in an ice cube tray. i can totally dispose of it if it starts looking funky. i used some of it in a batch of brownies earlier today (soon to be eaten!) and didn't know what i would do with it in the next couple of days so i thought freezing would be wise. oh well ;)

will definitely make salad dressing next time, or maybe a smoothie? i have some frozen banana chunks that definitely need to get used. bummer, i am missing the smoothie i can't make now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ok I read that exact part of the intro you guys mentioned and somehow the nectar bit sunk in buy not the part about subbing sucanat. Good job, brain!! Anyways, thanks for the help! I think I'll be subbing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the braided almond oat bread this afternoon, to leave for our dogsitting friends in the morning. It's going to take a lot of restraint to leave it untouched! I sneakily cut a little bump off of the bottom of a loaf to taste it and it seems really rich and satisfying. I still haven't decided if I'll keep a loaf for us... but I'm sure that's exactly what will end up happening. I'm really pleased with how they came out looking, too. They're so pretty that I think they'll become a repeated food gift from me. Hopefully these guys are well-received tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Is it okay to sub regular sugar for sucanat? And would the quantity change? thx guyz.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:31 am 
Saggy Butt

couroupita wrote:
Do you guys know what coconut sugar looks like and where to buy it? The book also mentioned coconut nectar, which I think I might have and is a syrup. So, are they they same thing? Do you think I could sub in another sweetener instead, because that nectar I bought was ridiculously expensive.

I saw it at Costco.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:06 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Erinnerung wrote:
I made the braided almond oat bread this afternoon, to leave for our dogsitting friends in the morning. It's going to take a lot of restraint to leave it untouched! I sneakily cut a little bump off of the bottom of a loaf to taste it and it seems really rich and satisfying. I still haven't decided if I'll keep a loaf for us... but I'm sure that's exactly what will end up happening. I'm really pleased with how they came out looking, too. They're so pretty that I think they'll become a repeated food gift from me. Hopefully these guys are well-received tomorrow!

After seeing your picture, I called the bookstore and had them put the book on hold for me. I will pick it up later. Does that bread have some kind of almond paste or almond flavoring? That looks incredibly delicious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Angelina wrote:
After seeing your picture, I called the bookstore and had them put the book on hold for me. I will pick it up later. Does that bread have some kind of almond paste or almond flavoring? That looks incredibly delicious.

Almond meal! And the almonds on top, of course. You can definitely taste it, it's super rich and delicious (yeah, I ended up not being able to part with both loaves!).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:04 am 
Nailed to the V

I made the Whole and Oats Cookies, and the Granola Teacake last week. Both were scrumptious! We took them on a road trip with us, and they were great sustenance between meals. Then, the other night I was serving soup for dinner, so I threw together the Toasted Garlic and Herb Bread to go alongside. Another winner! The pre-toasted garlic mellows out beautifully, so it's not an overwhelming flavor. Wonderful with EB and soup.

I heart this book.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i found bob's red mill corn flour at the grocery store! yay! someday soon, spicy cranberry cornbread (or whatever you are called) you are mine!

now i also need to go back through the book (or check the index) and find more recipes that use corn flour since i had to buy a bag rather than bulk.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:20 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I went to indigo.ca to see if they had this book and noticed that it was only available for preorder and thought what the fizzle? How does everyone have this book if it isn't out yet? It will be released April 1, so I have to wait a few days. Lucky me living in Canada and getting everything last. Haha.

Note: Don't tell me to go to amazon.ca because I don't have a credit card. Even if I sometimes have to wait a bit longer, Indigo is handy because it lets me pay directly from my bank account. I really have no idea why Amazon doesn't offer more payment options.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I know it's not always advised to use your check card/debit card online, but that is one way you can spend $ out of your bank account.

Sorry you have to wait for the book, but it will be well worth it. I have a long list of things I want to make and need to get started! I'm for sure going to make those wacky peanut butter chocolate chip sriracha cookies very soon. There is also a lovely assortment of crackers too that I want to make.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:26 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I made the sriracha chocolate chip cookies and the whole wheat bran muffins to have for a car snack and then breakfast while we are out of town for a few days. The cookies I thought were okay. The taste was good, but the texture was just alright. We surely ate them, and they definitely are a fun change, but I doubt I will be making them again.

The whole wheat bran muffins are solid though! Definitely a great "go to" healthier muffin recipe.

I made the nectarine oat cake (without nectarines...) in our dessert bar pan as well, but I actually haven't tried them yet. It was a lot of baking for one day, and there is so much vegan food here!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I finally got my copy of this a couple of days ago. Everything looks so good!

I made the Lemony Spelt Scones earlier today and they are yummy! To me they are a little more biscuity (in the british sense of the word) and crumbly than a typical scone but I really like them a lot and would definitely make them again. I love anything with tahini in it.

So far I have picked out the Lemon Ginger Rolls, Apricot Cardamom coffee cake, Carrot Cashew loaf, and Whole Wheat Raisin Bran muffins to make soon. I'll definitely need to plan some bread making too. The English muffin bread sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Made the spicy cranberry cornbread this week to go with some chili! It was a bit dense for me (I usually make a Marie Callender's copycat cornbread, which is super fluffy) but husband really liked it. It was good with a little EB melted on top and dipped in the chili! And cooking it in the cast iron pan was super fun.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the spicy cranberry cornbread a couple of nights ago with chili, too! Haha. I really liked the sweet/spicy combo together in this, although yeah, it was pretty dense. I didn't make mine in a cast iron pan, though, since I don't have one. I just used a 9" cake pan and it turned out fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next