| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soba Bowl
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:01 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I hate to be a downer -- but has anyone else made the soba bowl with the tahini/miso dressing and just NOT been in love? For starters, I was confused by the recipe, the lentils are listed under the sauce -- but then the assembly instructions say to dole out lentils with the cauliflower...good thing I read through before blending everything...

Then the dressing was way too thick (it started developing a skin while I was eating it too) And I ended up adding additional miso and lemon juice, because all I could taste was lentils and tahini...it was still really one dimensional. Anyone really like this and have some pointers for me??

Post subject: Re: Soba Bowl
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:56 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Where is the recipe from?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Isa Does It?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:06 pm 
Inflexitarian

The Roasty Soba Bowl that's also on the blog?

No, it's amazing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the roasty soba bowl and thought it was delish!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:48 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Yep, I kinda had problems with it too. I added lemon, some herbs, nutritional yeast, and more water to the sauce. I also thought that the lentils were in the sauce, but the recipe had them as separate? I put them in separately.

It ended up being really good, but the sauce needed some doctoring (for me). Something....was still missing. But we liked it enough so that we will try it again! I think i will add something spicy to the sauce. Sirracha or Garlic-Chilli sauce.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:50 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Yup...Isa does it, sorry about the confusion. Maybe I shouldn't have blended the lentils in? I think that was what killed it, and made the sauce too thick to really stick to anything...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I didn't blend the lentils in. I agree that the wording in the book is a little confusing, but I don't think the lentils are meant to go in the sauce. (That's clearer on the blog, which quark linked above.)

Anyway, just make something else next time. There are too many recipes to worry too much about one you didn't like. And if you find yourself with all of those ingredients again and you can afford to risk it, I'd give it a go without blending the lentils in and have a back up dressing that you know you like. That way if it turns out you really don't like the sauce you can still enjoy the rest of the meal.

But yeah, even when you do make things properly, you're still not going to love everything. That's fine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I wouldn't be afraid to add some liquid to a sauce that seems too thick next time - water or veggie broth would be fine. Tahini can vary a lot in consistency -- while I haven't made this recipe, I have found I often need to add some water to tahini based sauces to get them saucier. Probably the lentils made it thicker, too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This was one of the first recipes I made from IDI because I happened to have all the ingredients on hand. I probably wouldn't have planned to make it, since it has no green veg and members of my family can't stand cauliflower (not me, I'm a long-term cauliflower-loving weirdo). I'm so glad that I tried it in spite of myself. I thought it was divine. My toddler gobbled up a ton of cauliflower and I have begun roasting it more often. Yum!

But different strokes for different folks...you're not going to love everything.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:13 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made this recently and loved it. I wasn't expecting to like it so well since it's so simple, with so few ingredients, but they all go so well together. Plus, it really comes together quickly. Sorry you didn't care for it...did you maybe confuse this recipe with the lentil gravy?

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]