| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:05 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've seen this book, it was hard to put down because it's a really beautiful book. The pictures are fantastic and the cherry bakewell cupcake recipe looks divine. Wish I had bought it now.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:17 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Got an email from BD that the book was in stock and available and was able to get a copy! yay!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:06 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Had a flick through this at Waterstone the other day. Now dropping mega hints at the SO! Such a beautiful book.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:52 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It's on my 'I'm gonna buy this in June' list!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:34 pm 

Haven't gotten my book yet but found the Jaffa Cakes recipe here and am going to try them out!
http://www.messyvegetariancook.com/2013 ... ke-recipe/

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

Mine came today (super shocked!)
it's a gorgeous book. I was expecting some more cookies. (because I always call cheaters when you have cupcakes and then loaf cakes. because ;) that's just more cake). and then I realised... I don't really LIKE cake (i know, I'm weird).

but it's goorgeous, so i figure, if i make something 19 times... or like 19 recipes...
it's worth the cost of the book, right?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:16 am 

My copy arrived yesterday. Even my husband (who barely notices anything) said its a lovely looking book with great photos.

Has anyone made anything yet?

My husband has requested the pineapple upside down cakes but they'd ordinarily be quite far down my list of things to try!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:29 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the Kitchen Sink Slice today, my sister says it reminds her of Mars bar slice with the sorta caramel flavour. Only much nicer, and crunchy from the biscuits. It is delicious, Ms Cupcake is right it is rich, a small piece is certainly enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:59 pm 

I made the pineapple upside down cake today, I made it as a whole cake, it says in a couple of places in the recipe that its fine to make a big cake instead of individuals, however there were no guidelines for how much longer to cook it and it was a bit touch and go between the edge burning and the inside still being raw.

However it's a nice cake, moist and nice flavour, the kids and my husband like it so overall a success!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:04 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I finally got it! I'm thinking cookie sandwiches or jaffa cakes for starters. It's a gorgeous book.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A word of advice (which is gonna sound obvious): Make everything by the recipe at least once before trying to sub anything. I've been baking so long that I thought I'd be fine subbing some of the fat in one of the muffins. I was wrong. They ended up super dry. They were still tasty, and I'd totally make them again, just full fat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:43 pm 

I hate saying this but I'm not having the greatest success with this book.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I'm really struggling with getting the cooking times right (i thought at first it was just because i made a small cake recipe into a big cake but its also happened with other recipes), can sometimes taste the vinegar in cupcakes, things keep feeling really greasy. I don't have trouble with many other recipe books and its happened a few times so I'm not sure what's going wrong because I so want to love it!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My boyfriend and I went to a friend's house who isn't vegan, but is a big cupcake fan/baker, and she made the vanilla cupcakes with chocolate buttercream. They were really good, and based on that the boy bought us the book. I'd been meaning to grab it for a while, but hadn't got around to it. Anyway, we since made the chocolate chip cookies and they were awesome. We made the big version and they were huge. The middles seemed a little raw at first (though I still ate one that way and it was yummy) but once they fully cooled they were just perfectly chewy. I think we subbed 2 tbsp of cornflour for the egg replacer as we didn't have any and it worked out fine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:05 pm 

I just got this cookbook recently and it's a really pretty looking book. The page order in mine is all out of order though, skips from about pg 15 to 34 and then the missing pages are later in the book.

The first thing I made was the banana loaf cake, had to bake it way longer than the guide time but it was pretty tasty.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:49 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've made the jaffa cakes, the brownies, the banana bread and the chocolate chip cookies, all of which were amazing.

I'd been to the Ms Cupcake store in Brixton a couple of times and thought that the cupcakes that I had there were the best I'd ever tried, so was super excited when I found out that she was releasing a book. Ms Cupcake herself was at the Northern Vegan festival a few months ago and had some of her books with her a month before the release date so I picked one up then and she signed it for me. I fangirled a bit, I have to say.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:53 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've been looking for a list or index of the recipes in this book (I really want it because PRETTY, but can't justify it right now unless it has some recipes that are fairly different from ones in the nine million books I own already) and have been unable to find such a thing. I don't suppose anyone here knows of one?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:54 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've been looking for a list or index of the recipes in this book (I really want it because PRETTY, but can't justify it right now unless it has some recipes that are fairly different from ones in the nine million books I own already) and have been unable to find such a thing. I don't suppose anyone here knows of one?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Answered my own question, if anyone else is curious: http://vegansprout.com/detail/cookbook/ms-cupcake/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:36 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I was looking at my wishlist today and noticed that Ms. Cupcake has a one star rating, so I went to read the one review that was causing it and it's that super-annoying kind where they complain because there's flour and sugar and fat. So annoying. So if you have and like the book, please leave a review so that one bad one doesn't determine the whole rating!

http://www.amazon.com/Ms-Cupcake-Naught ... dp_product

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:10 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I got this book for Christmas and I absolutely love it! Despite being a huge cupcake fan, I started with chocolate chip cookies and snickerdoodles. Both of these turned out really well, and were so crispy and delicious. Today I baked the carrot and maple muffins which are also amazing. My mum keeps saying in a tone of wonder that she can't believe they're vegan. I tried a jaffa cake at a vegan social event this week and they are definitely next on my list. It really is a gorgeous book as well, definite coffee-table-material.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I was looking at my wishlist today and noticed that Ms. Cupcake has a one star rating, so I went to read the one review that was causing it and it's that super-annoying kind where they complain because there's flour and sugar and fat. So annoying. So if you have and like the book, please leave a review so that one bad one doesn't determine the whole rating!
http://www.amazon.com/Ms-Cupcake-Naught ... dp_product

Still only one review on that page which is a shame but for anyone wanting to read other reviews check out the UK page (4.7 out of 5 stars).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ms-Cupcake-Naug ... dp_product

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Do amazon.com reviewers have to be verified purchasers? I've left reviews on the .co.uk one for items I haven't bought through Amazon at all.

I had a cookbook buying spree earlier this week from Book Depository, including this, so once I've made a few things I'll see if I can add a less shitty review.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:42 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've definitely reviewed items I didn't buy from Amazon. I hope you're able to balance out the review situation - even though I don't know enough about this book to tell if I want it or not, every time I see that one-star review I'm tempted to buy it for no other reason than to give it a less obnoxious Amazon review.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Made the victoria sponge (with morello cherry conserve instead of strawberry jam).

It tastes great, but I had a few issues. Because I'm using a toaster oven at the moment I'm not sure how effective pre-heating is. I did preheat, but it took 35 minutes to cook until a skewer came out clean, not the suggested 18-20. I'm wondering if she used a fan-assisted oven?

The amount of icing suggested seems way too much, even if you cover the top too, which is only one suggestion. I went with the option of a dusting of icing sugar on top and made a half quantity of icing, and I still only used about half of that!

Still, this would be a very good addition to a tea party and I'll definitely make it again when strawberries are in season.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:03 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the chocolate chip cookies. I quartered the recipe and made 4 big cookies from it. I didn't think they were going to work (especially as I put them too low down in the oven and they took 30 minutes to cook) but they are perfect and not too bad calorie wise (each one is about 310).

π