| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Great Vegan Bean Book
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

allularpunk wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
i made the healthified vodka pasta sauce tonight, it was easy to prepare and tasted okay, it wasn't excellent but it definitely was not awful either. to my hubby and mine's palette though it does need some more flavor oomph. we sprinkled extra nooch and dried basil on top at the table....

it makes a ton of sauce so what we don't eat tomorrow, we'll freeze. tomorrow i'll be adding some big pepperoni stick to the sauce, i defrosted some but forgot to add it tonight.

flipping through the cookbook, so many recipes catch my eye, but it's too hot to be making beans on the stove from scratch and/or using the oven for some of the baked dishes. i have a feeling i'll be using this book lots once fall rolls around.... but i did see many recipes that would be spring/summer appropriate.

If you have a slow cooker, you can cook them in there! Put dry, unsoaked beans in the slow cooker with plenty of water to cover, then cook on low for 6-8 hours. I really want this book after looking through the preview on amazon!

You could also use canned beans as long as they are in a BPA-free can and are preferably low-salt.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yeah i'm a canned bean kind of gal. but this book has made me confident enough to try from scratch using dried beans...... i know in the long run it will be cheaper even though it will take more time to prepare.... although that will have to wait until cooler weather as i do not have a slow cooker and we don't use our stove often in the hot weather.....

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:30 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

you can usually find one cheap at the thrift store. :-)

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:05 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Really enjoyed the Good Mother Stallard bean recipe :)

This is a sign of good things to come

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:46 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I just got this on my Kindle - I love beans so it seemed like a good one to try. So far I've made the kidney bean/root vegetable hash - yummy although next time I won't just use the veggies I have on hand (I don't have good judgment for that kind of thing). Pecan pate is next. I want to try the mac & cheese one too - seems ideal to freeze in containers for work lunches - but I need to run to the grocery store first.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

those hawaiian sliders, OMG amazing! omni hubby loved them lots!

used panko instead of bread crumbs and we did not add pineapple to the condiment sauce

instead of making 36 sliders, i used our 1/4 cup disher/scoop and made 12 patties. I scooped them onto the baking sheet and then flattened them out a bit. baked for 15 minutes one side, flipped, and 20 minutes on the other side. yummy!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:02 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the Creole White Beans. Very good (and easy!). I also made the Smoky White Bean Dip and left out the nooch because I didn't think it needed it, plus it would have used up all the nooch I had left in the house. It was soooo good (and also easy - just throw everything in the blender)! I flagged all the recipes I want to try, which is pretty much every single one - I think someone else said that too. This book is definitely a winner.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Woohoo! I like to hear about everyone's positive experiences. :)

Made the apple baked beans: These beans are very good. Sweet from the apple and a touch of molasses, these tasted nice and light. Despite its name, these beans are not baked but are simmered for 1.5 hours on the stovetop instead. Delicious.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

some foodie photos.....i admit, i received a review copy from the publisher, but i adore this cookbook!

hawaiian sliders, YUM!!!!!

stove-top mac n' beany!

creamy healthified vodka sauce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:14 am 
WRETCHED

I was going to make the Mac n Beany last week but the store we went to didn't have any turnips.

I made the tempeh chili a few nights ago, I added bell peppers and frozen corn because why not? Anyway, it was ok but I think generally my chili is better but I didn't say anything to my husband about that. I liked the idea of putting tempeh in and my husband likes tempeh. Last night, he told me that he liked the tempeh chili but mine is better so he'd prefer that I use my own recipe (which really isn't one) than use the books. It is funny because he hardly says things like that :)

And in terms of making beans, I recommend a pressure cooker. I have an electric one and it takes up to 30 minutes (plus cool down time) to make a batch of beans. Since mine isn't stove top, it doesn't let off a lot of heat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The lentil stew with fresh spinach is pretty good, and probably all ingredients most vegans have already. Not super interesting or impressive, just tasty and easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ohhhhh this could be a book for me. Dammit!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:24 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I haven't made anything from this book in a while but am eyeing the chickpea cutlets. Has anyone made them yet?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Silvergirl wrote:
I haven't made anything from this book in a while but am eyeing the chickpea cutlets. Has anyone made them yet?

wrong book?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:22 pm 
Naked Under Apron

creep wrote:
Silvergirl wrote:

wrong book?

There's a recipe called Baked Crispy Chickpea Seitan Patties. I saw a review for this book on a blog, and she raved about that one!

There are some really interesting sounding things in here. I'm wary of savory muffins (illogical), but I want to try the black bean tamale and white bean pesto ones. And the black bean sausage patties, and biscuits with white bean gravy. Obviously I love breakfast.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's sneaky!

I'm more hesitant about beans in muffins than savory muffins. They're just bread in muffin shape.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Approximately how much of this book is info about beans that isn't actual recipes? I'd love a cookbook that is mostly recipes, but I don't want to order this if 1/3 of the book is info about how to cook beans, etc. Thanks!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lobsteriffic wrote:
Approximately how much of this book is info about beans that isn't actual recipes? I'd love a cookbook that is mostly recipes, but I don't want to order this if 1/3 of the book is info about how to cook beans, etc. Thanks!

There's just a really small section in the front. It's mostly recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:14 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Amy wrote:
creep wrote:
Silvergirl wrote:

wrong book?

There's a recipe called Baked Crispy Chickpea Seitan Patties. I saw a review for this book on a blog, and she raved about that one!

There are some really interesting sounding things in here. I'm wary of savory muffins (illogical), but I want to try the black bean tamale and white bean pesto ones. And the black bean sausage patties, and biscuits with white bean gravy. Obviously I love breakfast.

Yes sorry I just typed the wrong word (cutlets, not patties) and realized it after I logged off.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Thanks! I think I need this book.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lobsteriffic wrote:
creep wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Thanks! I think I need this book.

i'd like to add that while the how-to section is small, it is full of top secret bean cooking info ;) the best i've come across in any cookbook!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:09 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I made the creamy chickpea and rice casserole today. It cooks for an hour in the oven so it's a good choice if you need to be getting on with other things. Like the other dish we've tried from this it was a bit under spiced for our tastes but it was nice and comforting and it's easy enough to add flavourings.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:51 am 
Nailed to the V

I made the Salsa Quinoa yesterday, with a couple slight modifications. I used Tongue of Fire beans, because I just came across some and was dying to use them. I used green lentils, green beans, and a green tomatillo salsa. I threw in some fresh corn that I had just shucked from the cob. This is really good stuff. I think the recipe is dependent on the quality of the salsa you use, and mine was just right. It's a perfect summery potluck dish.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:32 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Apple Baked Beans were incredible. Yum, yum, yum.

White Bean Pecan Pate was better as leftovers.. and at that point, omnis agreed it tasted like liverwurst.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:51 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just got this for my kindle and I've already bookmarked about 10 recipes. I really want to try the crispy chickpea seitan patties and the black bean tamale muffins. I've never even made a savoury muffin, yet alone one with beans in it, but the ingredients in that recipe are pretty much everything I want in a meal so I will have to give it a try soon!

I'm also really loving the fact that the nutritional info is included. I've managed to gain quite a few pounds since moving back home, so having that info makes my meal planning much simpler.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next