| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Great Vegan Bean Book
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

made the hawaiian sliders again, sooooo yummy. was lazy and did not bother to pulverize the cold rice in the food processor, the sliders still came out awesome and held together just fine :)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:38 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just got my copy last night. This may make it into the ranks of one of my lifetime favorite cookbooks

* all vegan bean recipes
* coated pages
* color pictures
* nutrition information
* nutrition information listed in a USEFUL way, per cup, so I don't have to separate an entire batch into portions to figure out what I am eating

I can't wait to start making the recipes, the ones I looked at so far seem really good

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just got this book as well and am excited to try those sliders. I really liked the chickpea coconut lemon muffins, but then again I'm a sucker for lemon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:32 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the Salsa Quinoa Salad and really liked it. This recipe would be good for a potluck or cookout; it makes a ton! I just bought this book and this is the first recipe I've tried. There a quite a few recipes that caught my eye. I'm not sure about beansicles though...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:51 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I made the lima beans in tomato sauce in the slow cooker. We're having them tonight over sautéed kale. They are yum! I did not soak. It took about 4 hrs on high and a few hrs on low.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

KrisB wrote:
I made the Salsa Quinoa Salad and really liked it. This recipe would be good for a potluck or cookout; it makes a ton! I just bought this book and this is the first recipe I've tried. There a quite a few recipes that caught my eye. I'm not sure about beansicles though...

Loved this! In fact, I love everything I've made from this book so far!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the baked chickpea seitan patties yesterday. I really like them but I overbaked slightly so they are a tad too dry. I think I would up the herbs and seasoning next time (more garlic!) but that is just a matter of personal taste. They were super easy to make and very convenient too since I pretty much always have the ingredients! And, only 150 calories but over 14g of protein per patty!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:59 am 
Saggy Butt

Made the supeer easy lentil biryani yesterday:
This was remarkably simple.. after you measure everything out. I upped the lentils and decreased the rice, but still used my rice cooker. Because it is no-oil, it lacks a bit of bite. I used almonds instead of cashews and omitted the apricots.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:58 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I like that everything I have tried from this book has been weeknight-friendly, quick and easy. I liked the Chickpea Greek Salad with Tofu Feta--the feta isn't going to impress an omni, but I love tofu and this was tasty. I also made and really liked the Sloppy Buffalo Beans. I don't usually buy vegan yogurt or sour creams, but I would go out of my way to buy these for this recipe.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Another vote for the Hawaiian sliders. I made them with leftover white rice (it's what I had) and did not use the food processor. They would have probably held together better if I did, but they held together well enough for the oven (would have failed the BBQ test). My brother (biggest bean hater) ate 1/2 of one and said it "wasn't his favourite", which is actually very high praise :P. Everyone else in my family really enjoyed them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:54 am 
Saggy Butt

The mango curry chickpea sandwich filling was delicious. So simple, yet so good!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:49 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Oooohhhh I needed a new cookbook! And I love beans in any form. Looking forward to try the recipes!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 am 
WELFARIST!

I really should get this, too. I love beans and finding new ways to eat them!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:28 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I arrived, and I read through the first three chapters, and I already marked almost every single recipe. I want to start cooking! Not sure what to start with, but I'm sure it will be delicious.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made the Inside-Out Enchilada Casserole tonight, which features the White Bean Cashew Queso as the sauce. It was really good! I made it the "lazy" way because I hate rolling enchiladas and they never turn out right, I can't get them all in the pan, stuff falls out, they fall apart, etc. The queso was delicious on its own...as part of the dish it doesn't stand out too much though. I think I'll be making the queso again sometime for nachos. This is the most involved dish I've cooked in quite some time, but it was tasty and worth it because there are leftovers. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Anek wrote:
I arrived, and I read through the first three chapters, and I already marked almost every single recipe. I want to start cooking! Not sure what to start with, but I'm sure it will be delicious.

the Hawaiian sliders are awesome!
i forget the condiment sauce, but i'm pretty sure we made the choice not to add the pineapple to it.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made two things from this book today. I made a huge batch of kidney beans from dried, then made the Quick Burrito Filling (the recipe called for pintos, but otherwise I was pretty faithful to the recipe), and the Sloppy Buffalo Beans, but with Isa's Sanctuary Dressing instead of the ranch recipe provided. Both dishes turned out amazingly! I don't know which is better, but either way, we'll be eating good for the next few days!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:36 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've made the White Bean Ratatouille twice. Both times it was fabulous!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the New Orleans style jambalaya last night, and it was really good. For my veggies I used red bell pepper, zucchini, and serranos, and I served it over smashed potatoes with nooch and scallions instead of rice, just because of time. Very omni friendly and a nice detour from the ever-present veggie chili.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I need help with the kidney bean and sweet potato Thai stew.

My Thai grocery only had galinga root sliced and frozen, like mushroom slices and they only had raw lemon grass.......looks like they picked it from the empty log out back. How do I prepare these things and how much of each do I use?

Thanks much either way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:56 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have no idea about either of those ingredients, beforewisdom. The author of the cookbook is on Facebook and has a page called Healthy Slow Cooking -- she's usually pretty responsive on there so maybe she can help? She's on here as well, but I'm not sure how regularly.

The cashew-bean queso is delicious...I love how fast I can whip it up and then be enjoying it on chips, and it has nothing "bad" in it at all...all good stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

karichelle wrote:
The cashew-bean queso is delicious...I love how fast I can whip it up and then be enjoying it on chips, and it has nothing "bad" in it at all...all good stuff!

So is the artichoke spinach dip! Comes together really fast and the Omni's I served it to dug it. They were all "which one of your cheeses is in this?" (because I usually have something fermenting, culturing, soaking, drying on the counter) and they were shocked it was beans.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:45 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I got this book today, and made an adapted version of the butternut frijoles. Used kidney beans, sweet potatoes instead of butternut, oregano instead of marjoram. It was pretty good. I always like the combination beans + sweet potato/pumpkin, but this was a little bland. I added a lot of hot sauce while eating.

There are a lot of things I want to make from this book!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

The black bean pepita dip is fabulous. Loved it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:54 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the Thai kidney beant, sweet potato, and coconut milk stew.

I could have had better ingredients, but even so it was TASTY! Very easy to prepare, just chop some stuff up and toss in into the sauce pan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next