| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mouthwatering Vegan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

I saw this at work.

It's BIG cookbook. It's colourful too. it calls for some stuff I don't get access to (ie: vegan bacon). but there are some recipes in there that intrigued me.

there are about 135 recipes in there. there are two that instantly caught my eye. Breakfast sausages and gobsmacking tofu burgers. :D

Post subject: Re: Mouthwatering Vegan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:11 am 
Saggy Butt

I'm supposed to get my review copy today, so I'll hopefully try out some of the recipes this weekend. Hopefully there's not a lot of recipes with brand specific ingredients.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the zucchini, spinach, pesto lasagna the other night and it was really good! I replaced a lot of the cream with coconut milk since the storebought stuff is damn expensive! I also added some extra pesto since it seemed silly to have Pesto in the name but only use 2 teaspoons.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:50 am 
Chard Martyr

My husband bought this for me randomly. It's quite nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:02 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I've been contemplating buying this book and I read a lot of reviews on both Amazon and Amazon UK hoping to get a bit more info about it. So many people say it's a great book, but no one wants to say what's in it, which is a bit frustrating. For anyone who has Mouthwatering Vegan, could you please give me an idea of what sort of dishes there are in the book. Have you tried any of them and what do you think? Thank you very much! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yeah i'm interested in miriam's book too...... the preview on amazon is not helpful.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

If anyone is interested, here's the review I wrote: Mouthwatering Vegan Review

There's a wide variety of recipes, mostly pastas and curries though. I was a little disappointed with the Mains chapter since I was hoping for some tofu/tempeh recipes and there aren't any.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:31 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Just picked up this book at Costco today. Haven't had a chance to really look through it yet but when I quickly flipped through it in the store it looked promising. Besides if Costco sells it, it must be good right? :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:54 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

vgnwitch wrote:
I've been contemplating buying this book and I read a lot of reviews on both Amazon and Amazon UK hoping to get a bit more info about it. So many people say it's a great book, but no one wants to say what's in it, which is a bit frustrating. For anyone who has Mouthwatering Vegan, could you please give me an idea of what sort of dishes there are in the book. Have you tried any of them and what do you think? Thank you very much! :-)

I have it. It's very "middle eastern" meets Indian meets Italian. So curries, veggie burgers, lasagna's, pestos, nut roasts there a section at the back for homemade cheese and vegan cream. There middle eastern inspired drinks. There's a small dessert section with crème caramel, cheesecakes and bread and butter pudding to name a few.

A very nice book. My only criticism would be the time factor it takes to make everything. Often double cooking times here ie. frying then baking.

I think this is a "dinner party" book, something to impress your friends type of book.

Made the kofta balls, eggplant curry and vegan cheese with pretty good success.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:43 pm 

That's very helpful. Thanks! :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:33 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

My aunt just bought this for me out of the blue. Yay! I'm excited to make the kofta and to explore the various pestos.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:20 am 

I did end up buying this book and have taken only quick glance through. The photos are gorgeous and I want to make the sausage recipes!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:10 am 
Chard Martyr

Any updates from anyone who has used this book? I took a second stab at dog-earing recipes last night but I'm still a wee bit uninspired. I think huge books like this are so hard to navigate! I definitely think there must be a good amount of awesome recipes in there but there does seem to be a lot of "filler" too. And the Indian recipes appeal the most to me but I have what look like better recipes from other books/sources. Can anyone recommend some winners? Merci!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:26 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vijita wrote:
Any updates from anyone who has used this book? I took a second stab at dog-earing recipes last night but I'm still a wee bit uninspired. I think huge books like this are so hard to navigate! I definitely think there must be a good amount of awesome recipes in there but there does seem to be a lot of "filler" too. And the Indian recipes appeal the most to me but I have what look like better recipes from other books/sources. Can anyone recommend some winners? Merci!

I feel just the same.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 am 

I've only made one thing so far and it was an unmitigated disaster. I'm not sure how much was me (I had to sub some spices) and how much was the recipe (plain, rehydrated TVP is never a good sign for me). I'm going to try a couple more in the coming weeks and see how they go.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:11 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

What was it, j-dub?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:30 am 

Here is, hopefully, a helpful tip ... in any recipe using TVP, I figure out how much will be needed in its reconstituted state and substitute commercial vegan crumbles (beef or chicken depending on the recipe) or homemade flavoured seitan ground in the food processor. I like those much better and think they make recipes tastier than TVP. You just have to remember to reduce the liquid used for the TVP.

I haven't made anything from the book either, but only because I got sidetracked with Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker and have been cooking mostly from that for the past couple of weeks. There is a recipe for a sweet potato and ginger soup in Mouthwatering Vegan that looks lovely and I was thinking of making it as a starter for our Thanksgiving dinner next Monday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The Bean Goulash is very good although I stream-lined the recipe. Way too fussy as written. Used soy curls instead of the burger.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:29 pm 

Yeah, I prefer those options over TVP too, but I'm gluten-free which rather constrains my options.

efc, it was one of the curries, I can't remember the name right now. It has potatoes and sultanas in it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just made the mature cheddar so thought I'd write my observations... It has GREAT flavour, really sharp and salty and umami, which is exactly what you want in a mature cheddar. I did make some adjustments. I omitted the onion powder and halved the granulated garlic (I don't like overly oniony cheese), replaced the water with soy milk (so it's extra creamy), included a quarter teaspoon of smoked paprika, used margarine instead of coconut oil (because I only have unrefined), and omitted the lager (it would have been a great addition to the flavour but I didn't have any). Next time I make it, I'm going to grind the cornmeal/polenta to a powder first, because it just takes too long to cook and is still too grainy, and I also found that when the mixture thickened it started to leech oil, so I'd either blend the cooked mixture again (although that could affect the way the agar sets), or add about 1/2 teaspoon of guar gum to the mix to help emulsify it. I don't think it's going to melt, but the suggestion is to grate it and drizzle with a little olive oil before grilling. I think it's going to firm up really well because the mixture is super thick.

Anyway, I highly recommend it on flavour alone. I'm doing grilled cheese on grainy sourdough with green olive & hazelnut pate, fresh tomatoes and mushrooms for dinner, served with tomato soup. Yum!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just got this book for my birthday. A friend made the chocoholics cheesecake which was awesome! I'm looking forward to having some time to start cooking from it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:28 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Karena wrote:
Anyway, I highly recommend it on flavour alone. I'm doing grilled cheese on grainy sourdough with green olive & hazelnut pate, fresh tomatoes and mushrooms for dinner, served with tomato soup. Yum!

Hazelnut pate sounds so good! What recipe do you use for that?