| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 365 Vegan Smoothies by Kathy Patalsky
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:17 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I got this yesterday and made the Choco-Berry Almond Shake this morning. My husband and I liked it (made enough for two servings) but agreed it could be a little more jazzy. The main ingredients are cacao, frozen strawberries and bananas with a little bit of almond butter. I have my eye on several other recipes and have flagged several pages.

I really like how she talks about the nutritional benefits of various foods (raspberries, pumpkin seeds, etc., ) I never get tired of reading that kind of information! Plus the photographs are beautiful and make your mouth water. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:09 am 
Nailed to the V

Cozy Cinna-Bun: amazingly good.
Magnesium Magic: will probably be my new favourite smoothie until peaches are out of season (and then i'd probably buy frozen peaches LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:44 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I just got this and it looks so awesome that I went and bought all kinds of crazy ingredients. I've only made one so far and I forget what it was called but it had mango, banana, lime juice, coconut water, and cayenne. It was awesome and just what I needed in the middle of a heat wave. Tonight I'm going to try one with watermelon even though I don't really like watermelon. There are so many I want to try!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:34 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

It may be because it's summer and I'm hot all the time, but the #62 Watermelon Frosty is one of the best things to come out of my Vitamix! It is so refreshing and summery and sweet! Frozen watermelon is a game changer.

I've made Magnesium Magic twice and the Watermelon Frosty twice. I can't seem to move on because they are both so good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

Marizpan - i know what you mean. Magnesium Magic is just... so yummy, i didn't realise it would taste slightly pumpkin-y. (i eat pumpkin seeds all the time, and I don't taste pumpkins at all!)

watermelon frosty is my favourite. i like it better with lime juice (like the book) and a frozen banana, instead of a fresh. actually i find whenever she says "banana' i go for a frozen one right away, rather than a fresh one. later this week, i'll probably number all the ones i've done and my thoughts.

I did the Citrus Chia one, that was lovely too.
seriously - this is like as of right now the best book all year. (but Isa's book hasn't come out yet).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:26 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Waiting patiently for this book to arrive from Amazon. It's so flipping hot right now, all I want to eat is smoothies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:30 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VeganMeredith wrote:
Waiting patiently for this book to arrive from Amazon. It's so flipping hot right now, all I want to eat is smoothies.

Me too. For some reason, the UK amazon is taking ages to deliver this >_< And we actually, shockingly, have hot weather in Scotland right now (high 20s!) so I need this book to arrive before it gets cold again. Winter is coming, and all that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:24 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The one I made last night had watermelon, pineapple, and banana. It was too bland (as I said, I don't like watermelon) so I added lime juice and it improved it, but I don't think I'll make that one again. Tonight is Cran-Nana Cruiser with cranberries and banana - I know I'll like that!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:37 am 
WRETCHED

I decided to order the e-book as I have way too many books. I also bought superfood smoothies, which I think I may like a little bit better. There aren't as many recipes in superfood smoothies but it has a good variety.

I've been doing 1 smoothie every day, today I am doing 2 (1 from each of the smoothie books). The superfood smoothie I'm having today has cabbage in it which is kind of crazy but it also tastes good (thanks to frozen grapes).

I did the magnesium magic smoothie this morning and I thought it was ok, not my favorite though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:35 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

It has arrived! Gonna make the chocolate-almond brain boost in the morning, but with peanut butter, since that's what I have. I can't usually make smoothies for breakfast, for fear of waking up my roommate, but she's away for a couple of days - smoothies every morning!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:23 am 
WRETCHED

So I think I figured out the issue. Every smoothie I've tried here tastes like a banana flavored smoothie. I like bananas but mostly in smoothies, I prefer bananas to be a thickener vs a major flavor. My other smoothie book hardly uses bananas. I think cutting the amount of banana in half would improve the flavor of the smoothies here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:55 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

My copy finally arrived! I just made the first smoothie in the book and it was delicious.

I don't have a Vitamix and I followed her instructions to blend slowly at first before getting faster & it totally worked - it's the least bitty smoothie I've ever made!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:21 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The #21 Mojito Grape Frosty tastes like a mint flavored sour patch kid. It was very sweet and sour! I like the watermelon frosty better.

I also made the #86 Green Banana Jungle Shake which has a pretty classic green smoothie flavor with a chewy coconut kick from the shredded coconut. Pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Had the mango lime motivation this morning, it might be my favorite yet! Loved the kick of cayenne at the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:35 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

So far I've tried:

#92 Blueberry-Banana Builder- Very tasty
#247 Chocolate-Almond "Milk" Shake- The extra ice watered this down too much
#4 Strawberry-Chia Synergy- Very refreshing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:16 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I was paging through and bookmarking almost everything and then I came to my worst nightmare: green pepper smoothie. WHY?! So horrifying.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:23 am 
Ninja Master

lavawitch wrote:
my worst nightmare: green pepper smoothie. WHY?! So horrifying.

hehe. That does sound pretty grim!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:07 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

lavawitch wrote:
I was paging through and bookmarking almost everything and then I came to my worst nightmare: green pepper smoothie. WHY?! So horrifying.

No kidding. I'm going to ignore the fact that this smoothie ever happened. I would never in a million years drink this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Be careful about using any health information on her website. She still has articles up promoting detox. In one she pulls a quote from a website to explain what a toxin is without including the sentences before that...

Quote:
So shouldn't a detox diet be a good bet?

Not really. Like many other fad diets, detox diets can have harmful side effects, especially for teens

She seems to like words like cleansing and detox a lot. Your body is not a dirty bathroom and does not require that you give it a good scrubbing from the inside.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:40 pm 
WRETCHED

Vantine wrote:
Be careful about using any health information on her website. She still has articles up promoting detox. In one she pulls a quote from a website to explain what a toxin is without including the sentences before that...

Quote:
So shouldn't a detox diet be a good bet?

Not really. Like many other fad diets, detox diets can have harmful side effects, especially for teens

She seems to like words like cleansing and detox a lot. Your body is not a dirty bathroom and does not require that you give it a good scrubbing from the inside.

Yeah, that is my biggest issue with the book in spreading the detox myth and having a chapter on smoothies named 'detox'. But I was trying to think positive rather than think she actually promotes people doing a 'detox'.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
My other smoothie book hardly uses bananas.

Ooh, thanks for this! I love the idea of smoothies but I'm allergic to bananas so I hardly ever get to have them. I looked at a ton of recipes on Kathy's website and every single one had bananas in it. The flavours all sound really interesting and fun, but it's such a bummer that she seems to rely on the same basic method for every recipe.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:18 am 
WRETCHED

Erinnerung wrote:
linanil wrote:
My other smoothie book hardly uses bananas.

Ooh, thanks for this! I love the idea of smoothies but I'm allergic to bananas so I hardly ever get to have them. I looked at a ton of recipes on Kathy's website and every single one had bananas in it. The flavours all sound really interesting and fun, but it's such a bummer that she seems to rely on the same basic method for every recipe.

Yeah, then I'd recommend superfood smoothies. The only thing is that it does call for exotic (imported) berries like goji and acai powder but the suggestion is to substitute for local edible berries if they are too expensive or not available. Also the amounts are minimal so you could even skip. Fruits readily available in the US are called for as main ingredients like oranges, blueberries, apples, raspberries, dates, watermelon, peaches, etc. they are a good base though if you have access to fruits we don't or don't have access to some of the fruits we do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:48 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I ordered this book online and received it yesterday. I was a little nervous as I hadn't looked through it, and didn't want a bunch of weird add-in ingredients and nuts (my kids have tree-nut allergies). I'm happy to report that this appears to be a great book to break out of a smoothie rut. She uses a lot of veggies in her smoothies in very inventive ways (always good!), very few weird add-ins, and not many of the recipes rely on nuts. Just a simple, straightforward recipe book that I'm really excited to try. I do have a "budget blender" as I can't afford a vitamix, but I don't think that will be a problem looking at her recipes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:01 am 
WRETCHED

I had the green energy smoothie this morning and it is pretty good. I used half the banana called for and used the last of my pecan butter for the nut butter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:02 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I had #224 this morning: the Big Bright Orange Sunbeam. It was delightfully Summer-y and refreshing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next