| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 365 Vegan Smoothies by Kathy Patalsky
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:15 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Erinnerung wrote:
linanil wrote:
My other smoothie book hardly uses bananas.

Ooh, thanks for this! I love the idea of smoothies but I'm allergic to bananas so I hardly ever get to have them. I looked at a ton of recipes on Kathy's website and every single one had bananas in it. The flavours all sound really interesting and fun, but it's such a bummer that she seems to rely on the same basic method for every recipe.

I second the thanks! I do want the 365 Vegan Smoothies book, but I am so averse to bananas that I almost feel like I won't be getting my money's worth with it. I'll definitely check out Superfood Smoothies now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:31 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm obsessed with this book! So far, I've made the peanut butter-banana swirl shake (pretty much a PB milkshake, yum!), peanut flax-ination (yummy! I added the optional cocoa powder), peachy melon mellower (would have been better if I could have used the frozen cantaloupe and peach called for, but my Magic Bullet couldn't handle it. Still tasty though), berry blender oatmeal (pretty basic, but tasty), blackberry cream (loved this one. It was very voluminous!), and chocolate-almond brain boost (but with peanut butter, 'cause I'm out of almond butter. It was really good but wasn't voluminous enough for me. I like my smoothies big!). Can't wait to make more.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:27 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I think I'm going to order Superfood Smoothies. In the last few months I've learned that I'm allergic to bananas (it's not a surprise since I know I have a latex cross allergy), and I was sad that I couldn't have smoothies anymore. BUT! Lately I've been subbing soaked steel-cut oats for bananas in my smoothies and it's been great; totally replaces the banana to add creaminess and thickness to the smoothie and keeps me going.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:45 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm obsessed with this book too. I've had it for a week and already made 10 different ones! Tonight is peach pie. They haven't all come out awesome but I've been purposely picking ones that I might not automatically love. My two complaints so far are: 1) a lot of them are very similar to each other, especially the ones that are more milkshakey and not so fruit/veg heavy; 2) the index sucks. You can't look them up by title. You can look them up by ingredient, but you'll just get a long list of titles and have to flip to each one to see what it is.

If you like mojitos, there's a grape-mint mojito one that's really good and I added rum to make it an actual frozen mojito!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:44 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Nicole wrote:
I think I'm going to order Superfood Smoothies. In the last few months I've learned that I'm allergic to bananas (it's not a surprise since I know I have a latex cross allergy), and I was sad that I couldn't have smoothies anymore. BUT! Lately I've been subbing soaked steel-cut oats for bananas in my smoothies and it's been great; totally replaces the banana to add creaminess and thickness to the smoothie and keeps me going.

I love this idea to make smoothies more substantial. How do you do this? Do you soak them overnight, or what? And approximately how much do you use? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:51 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I have tried blending the unsoaked steel-cut oats in the dry blender container to get them into a coarse flour consistency, and then making smoohies, and also tried soaking them in water overnight. Results are not too different, but I think that the soaked oats are less gritty.

I usually soak 1 cup of s-c oats in 2 cups of water at a time, and use a generous 1/2 cup in each smoothie (with a cup of mixed berries, a cup of frozen spinach, and a cup of almond milk).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Do NOT get the Kindle version. It is the worst ebook cookbook I've ever seen. I wish I'd realized before buying my mom a copy too.

There are no real page numbers, which wouldn't be a huge problem except that there is also no clickable index, just the paper copy index with page numbers. There are also no recipe lists anywhere else in the book. Since the kindle search function is lousy, the only way to find recipes is to sift through a mention of "banana" or "kale" everywhere it appears.

It is basically a chore to use. I really do not understand how publishers can remain so clueless when it comes to ebooks. A clickable index in a cookbook should be standard practice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:15 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Nicole wrote:
I have tried blending the unsoaked steel-cut oats in the dry blender container to get them into a coarse flour consistency, and then making smoohies, and also tried soaking them in water overnight. Results are not too different, but I think that the soaked oats are less gritty.

I usually soak 1 cup of s-c oats in 2 cups of water at a time, and use a generous 1/2 cup in each smoothie (with a cup of mixed berries, a cup of frozen spinach, and a cup of almond milk).

Thanks so much! I see that Patalsky uses a tablespoon or so of oat flakes in many of her smoothies (something I never thought of), but I like you idea, since it is so much more substantial!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

that is such a cool idea! the cinnmon smoothie she uses a 1/4 cup no soaking, and it was really smooth. i might start doing that too - swapping some oats for thickner.

peach pie was "eh" maybe it would have been better with rice milk.
mojito was gross.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:59 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lavawitch wrote:
Do NOT get the Kindle version. It is the worst ebook cookbook I've ever seen. I wish I'd realized before buying my mom a copy too.

There are no real page numbers, which wouldn't be a huge problem except that there is also no clickable index, just the paper copy index with page numbers. There are also no recipe lists anywhere else in the book. Since the kindle search function is lousy, the only way to find recipes is to sift through a mention of "banana" or "kale" everywhere it appears.

It is basically a chore to use. I really do not understand how publishers can remain so clueless when it comes to ebooks. A clickable index in a cookbook should be standard practice.

Have you had luck with any kindle version cookbooks? I bought one once and promised myself never again for all the reasons you listed, plus the pics were all messed up too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:58 am 
Saggy Butt

I've found Kindle cookbooks to be okay, at best. lavawitch, if it's within seven days, you can return it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Unfortunately it's been longer than that.

I've found that recent cookbooks (past ~6-9 months) have been pretty decent as ebooks. Some of the older crappy ones were also yanked and reformatted by publishers. I have a couple of Robin Robertson's and Donna Klein's and they are very easy to use.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:40 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

OK, I finally got my copy. I made the Matcha-cado for breakfast this morning, with the optional spinach. It's quite similar to one of my regular breakfast smoothies but the addition of orange juice was a nice touch. I don't drink fruit juice usually so I've filled up all my ice cube trays with orange juice to save for future smoothie making.
I've tagged quite a few recipes to try, but I am especially interested in the Pecan-maple pie shake and Crazy cookie bar shake (both page 144). I might have to have the PB&J (p141) for breakfast tomorrow :)

Butternut wrote:
Have you had luck with any kindle version cookbooks? I bought one once and promised myself never again for all the reasons you listed, plus the pics were all messed up too.

Some are horrible and some are fine. I still prefer paper copies but since I have done an international move and had to pay a lot to ship my cookbooks, I try to buy kindle editions sometimes! Off the top of my head, I have electronic versions of Hearty Vegan Meals, the Kind Diet, 1000 Vegan Recipes, Forks over Knives, Nut Butter Universe, and I most recently bought The Great Vegan Bean Book which is great and looks good on my Kindle. I do have a Kindle Fire HD so that makes a difference to colour and picture quality. If I had one of the older kindles without colour and no touchscreen, I wouldn't buy the e-versions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:09 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Nicole wrote:

Yes, thank you so much for the tips! I am totally going to start doing this. The possibilities are big with this idea, too. You could use quick oats, rolled oats, barley flakes, quinoa flakes, etc. Just soak and blend!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

a very silly question: do i need a blender or can i use a food processor?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:52 pm 

bookwormbethie wrote:

I don't think you would want to use a food processor for a smoothie though I haven't tried it. Have you ever made a smoothie in it before? Maybe you should try one of Kathy's recipes and see how it works.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:53 pm 

Over the weekend I tried a few but the Almond Butter Breakfast shake was a standout, I really liked it even though it seemed kind of boring on paper.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

For banana haters who want a sweeter solution than oats - try dried apricots. They're what I've been using when I'm out of bananas, and I think they work pretty well to sweeten and thicken, and they're smoother than oats if you don't want to be blending for a long time (I have been using oats too, and like them. This is just another option).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LazySmurf wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I don't think you would want to use a food processor for a smoothie though I haven't tried it. Have you ever made a smoothie in it before? Maybe you should try one of Kathy's recipes and see how it works.

haha, i'm kinda a smoothie virgin and definitely have not attempted using my food processor to make a smoothie. was just seeing if i could save some dough by not needing to buy a blender.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:47 pm 

I feel like blending is different than processing, I don't think it would ever get to the same smoothie consistency but there is no way of knowing for sure without trying!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I think you need a blender to handle the ice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i don't *need* this book but it would be fun to have. i'll start dropping hints to hubby in the late fall that i need a blender and this book for christmas ;)

another question for those of you who have this book, how many servings does each recipe typically yield? 1? 2? 4? do recipes halve well? if the recipe makes 4 servings, how long can the finished smoothie stay in the fridge, if say i wanted to have a smoothie for breakfast for 4 days in a row?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The recipes make one big meal sized smoothie (fills my 20 oz cold cup) or 2 small meal/snack servings. I typically add extra ice though, so as written they are a bit less than 20oz.

I wouldn't keep a smoothie in the fridge more than 12 hours max, if that. They only take a few minutes to make, especially if you have your ingredients prepared and efficiently stored. I have made them the night before and then stashed my cold cup in the back of our spare (crappy) fridge and they are fine in the morning. If I buy an iced latte at Starbucks and stash it in that same spot, it stays perfect, ice and all, for a good 12 hours. (I say that as reference, because in your fridge, you could end up with a melted, sad mess)

Blenders are also a lot easier to clean than food processors. I just fill the Vitamix 2/3 with water and a drop of dish soap, whiz it all around a bit, swish, rinse, repeat a couple times with plain water and it's all clean in under about a minute.

In other words, even if you are a lazy person like me who gets out of bed, washes hair, showers, gets dressed, smooches the conure, and out the door in 15 minutes or less, you can still make a nice smoothie and clean up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:48 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

lavawitch wrote:

I really appreciate this warning. Unless they are out of print, I now buy all my cookbooks in kindle format.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My mom ordered the print version, so now, between us, we will have three copies of this thing.

I just made a pear smoothie with spinach, pumpkin seeds, coconut water, and ginger. I don't remember the name, but it's worth looking up (just not in the Kindle version because that would take all day). It's nice and frosty/creamy with a bit of kick from the ginger (I used the full teaspoon). Molly had at least 10 or 12 beakfuls! She started trying to climb into my glass to reach more.

I'll definitely be keeping some frozen pear on hand to make this again. I think it would be nice with some matcha added.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next