| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 365 Vegan Smoothies by Kathy Patalsky
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:31 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I made the Pure Pistachio smoothie yesterday and it was wonderful. Basically almost a pistachio milkshake. I added some ice and used a little extra frozen banana to get it frostier. It was very filling. I sipped it slowly from an insulated iced coffee cup and it kept me full for most of the day. 400 calories and high fat, but worked really well as a meal replacement. Sometimes high calorie smoothies don't work for me because I end up hungry again an hour or two later.

This week I also made the Peach Pie smoothie. This was good, but a little less successful. I may have added too much ice and soy milk since it wasn't as flavorful as it could have been. It was almost like peach ice cream. I would make it again, but probably with a bit extra peach.

I really like this book.

Now I need to go buy a big bag of pistachios from Costco. 1/3 cup per smoothie adds up. Molly loved it too. Smoothies are a nice way to get her to eat better variety since all she wants in her bowl these days is pink lady apple. (other types of apple are likely to get pitched out onto the floor)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:40 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Oh, yay - I have the pistachio one flagged as want to try, so I'm glad it was good. I made the peach pie too, and I agree about it not being that flavorful, but I attributed that to using frozen peaches (bought frozen) which might not have been as good as fresh peaches that I froze myself and knew were good beforehand. I'm pretty picky about peaches.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just made the A-Peeling Chai with the optional 2 tsp cocoa.

I'm not sure about this. It's kinda good, but not what I expected, though with "a-peel" in the name and 1 1/2 bananas, I shouldn't be shocked that its mostly banana!

Actually, it tastes a LOT like gingerbread. Imagine eating a piece of banana bread while drinking a SB gingerbread latte. Not at all a bad thing, really.

I think with the chai plus the banana that this would be better without the cocoa--too many competing flavors.

At any rate, this is a perfect example of a smoothie that I'd never in a million years have made on my own. I really like this book: the recipes are creative but mostly simple enough while also not being <roll eyes> stupid like blend up strawberry, banana, ice, and soy milk.

I'm going to start trying one every day. If I use this instead of my SB addiction, especially working every day, I can afford even the most expensive recipes and still come out ahead.

Now, someone go try one of those green pepper smoothies and report back.

Dave: I also used frozen peaches. I'd never make a pie with frozen, so I'm not sure why I expect them to be wonderful in a smoothie. Peaches are such a pain in the asparagus to buy. They go from rock hard to a pile of moldy rotten fruit in seemingly less than 24 hours. I think in the future, I'll stick to using the frozen peaches in recipes that have other flavors as backup.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:30 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I really love this book, too! I agree with lavawitch. The recipes are simple enough for me to throw together in a few minutes, but creative enough so that they are not boring.
Right now i am madly in love with the crazy cookie bar smoothie. I'll admit i put in more chocolate chips than the recipe calls for, but man it is tasty! It really is closer to a milkshake than a smoothie, but with the banana base it at the very least has nutritional value and is lowish fat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the pumpkin pie one (not called exactly that) because I had leftover pumpkin puree. I was seriously afraid to make it because I don't like pumpkin pie and thought that drinking pumpkin would be gross. But what I hadn't thought of was that it would taste like ice cream! It was awesome and I'm going to make it every time I have leftover pumpkin now. I used individual spices instead of pumpkin pie spice blend, which meant extra cinnamon and ginger. Yum!

I'm still obsessed with this book but nothing has been worth posting about for a while. Oh, I also tried one of the kiwi ones because I was skeptical (not a big kiwi fan), and it was good too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:46 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

my friend just got me this book - off to buy a new blender!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:36 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Dave the Cat wrote:
I made the pumpkin pie one (not called exactly that) because I had leftover pumpkin puree. I was seriously afraid to make it because I don't like pumpkin pie and thought that drinking pumpkin would be gross. But what I hadn't thought of was that it would taste like ice cream! It was awesome and I'm going to make it every time I have leftover pumpkin now. I used individual spices instead of pumpkin pie spice blend, which meant extra cinnamon and ginger. Yum!

I'm still obsessed with this book but nothing has been worth posting about for a while. Oh, I also tried one of the kiwi ones because I was skeptical (not a big kiwi fan), and it was good too.

I've just come to post about this one! It's the Vanilla Pumpkin Pleasure Shake and it was absolutely delicious! My husband made it and actually increased the soy milk from 1/4c to 3/4c because he thought it was too thick. It was still very thick, but drinkable. This was definitely one of my faves so far.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I should make a list of my favorites. I've been making a smoothie almost every morning since mid summer. Since I hate breakfast and don't have a lunch break anymore since I leave for work at 8:30 and leave work at 2:30 (home around 4), I need something I can have while driving (or while working) or else I'm starving and eat junk food in the 30 minutes air have for dinner before my GED classes.

I've been going for the ones higher in calories with t least 12g protein, or I boost with extra hemp.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:18 am 
Saggy Butt

The matcha ginger one has been my favourite so far. I shared the recipe today along with a giveaway for the book here:
http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2013/12 ... -giveaway/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:17 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Things I've made so far:

Beet the Scale - yum! a little strange, but tastes great
Timeless Grapefruit - SO SO SO good! Perfect for grapefruit lovers.
Coffee-Banana Freeze - A delicious morning treat! Easy but decadent
Chocolate-Covered Cherry - Mmm also very rich and tasty
Secret Ingredient Matcha Shake - This is good, though it didn't have enough matcha for my taste
Get Glowing! Grapefruit Cooler - another delicious grapefruit smoothie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:33 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I got this as a gift a few weeks ago and am just starting to look through it now. I don't love the detoxy-cleansy tone that's occasionally present, and the organization by themed months doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me (why is one banana blueberry smoothie in the "energizing smoothie" section and another one in the "brain-boosting smoothie" section?). That said, some of the recipes look really tasty and I like that she includes the nutrition info for the entire smoothie. Some smoothies have oats or frozen watermelon cubes, which I'm excited to try too.

I'll report back when I've tried some smoothies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

My amazing boyfriend has been going through this book with me. My new year's resolution was to eat more fruits and vegetables with breakfast (i'm a bagel with cream cheese kinda gal), so since we pretty much alternate sleeping over, We both have a huge smoothie for breakfast at my place. (he gets super creative with breakfast- different variations of hot cereal and savory things like sauteed chard on multigrain bread). That works out to like 3-4 smoothies a week which is a lot of veggies. I thought for sure it would be super expensive, because I've been trying to only buy organic vegetables, but it hasn't been too bad, surprisingly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Norelle wrote:
My amazing boyfriend has been going through this book with me. My new year's resolution was to eat more fruits and vegetables with breakfast (i'm a bagel with cream cheese kinda gal), so since we pretty much alternate sleeping over, We both have a huge smoothie for breakfast at my place. (he gets super creative with breakfast- different variations of hot cereal and savory things like sauteed chard on multigrain bread). That works out to like 3-4 smoothies a week which is a lot of veggies. I thought for sure it would be super expensive, because I've been trying to only buy organic vegetables, but it hasn't been too bad, surprisingly.

This is a great idea. I've been wanting to get back into smoothies and plan to start using this book more consistently. So far I've just been doing smoothies on the weekend. By the way that chard on toast sounds awesome; my favorite breakfasts are savory. We're doing a savory quinoa this week.

Anyway, last weekend I made this Golden Wellness smoothie from Kathy's blog: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2014/01/ ... othie.html

It was love at first sip. Seriously I couldn't get enough. This is going to be a definite regular.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:00 am 
Saggy Butt

I have a hard time not putting greens in my smoothies, but that does sound good.

Also: many thanks to whoever suggested replacing bananas with oats! I despise bananas and always just left them out, but this is much better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:17 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

You guys...make the Orange County glow right now! Include the optional cinnamon and cayenne. It sounds simple, but it's so bright and spicy and delicious. My new favorite smoothie!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:05 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I have been using this book quite a bit lately, the majority of the recipes I have tried have been good. I don't tend to eat a lot of fruit so smoothies are a good way to get a wider variety, the only thing is that it is making me really want a high speed blender cause the one I have at the moment is not that great.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:28 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Made the strawberry cucumber cooler this morning...very light and refreshing! I was hungry an hour after though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I tried one of the chamomile ones last night: mango, chamomile, cinnamon, banana, maple syrup, coconut ice cubes, and soy yogurt. It sounded weird but I really liked it. It was unique and multi-layered tastes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am in love the the basil strawberries and cream stress buster (or something like that) It has basil, strawberries, yogurt, banana, soy milk, and flax oil or mashed avocado. It is so yummy I never would have thought of putting basil in a smoothie.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

i am really liking how most of these can very easily be turned into green smoothies. Citrus Chia (whatever that one is) and strawberry pistaschio both work really well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:32 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I love this cookbook! I generally turn them all into green smoothies too - usually with spinach because I find that it doesn't affect the flavor at all. The other day I made #294 Lemonade Stand and it was just perfect for a warm summer day! I didn't have any lemonade on hand so I substituted the juice of 1 lemon, 1 cup of cold water and 1/2 tbsp of sugar for the lemonade, and it was delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:09 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made my first today! The jungle green smoothie in the slim down section. (#80...something) I didn't expect it to be so good! The mango and coconut and banana went really well together. My only issue was that it was so light. I was hungry again in less than an hour. I normally don't count calories, but they're right there, so knowing that it was over 300 and didn't fill me up at all was a little disappointing. I ate half a Clif bar to make up the difference.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Allularpunk- I found that they have to peanut butter or yogurt to fill me up for a long time.

Anyone know about raw walnuts? Our co-op doesn't have them and had a sign that uncooked walnuts are toxic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I hadn't heard about walnuts, but raw cashews aren't really raw for that same reason, just not roasted. I just use the regular baking walnuts for my smoothies.

Allular, look for the smoothies with the most protein. I generally only take the smoothies with 12g or more protein for lunch. Anything with nuts keeps me happy as a combo late breakfast/lunch.

The pistachio with matcha is my absolute favorite. Kind of spendy though. The Brazil nut recipes are great, and even though Brazil nuts are pricey, you only need a few per shake and they still end up pretty filling.

My mom made me something with mango, kale, and orange to take with me to class tonight. Tasty and refreshing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:15 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I was trying some from the slim down section because I've put on a few lbs this summer, but they're just not doing it for breakfast (I can't have a snack while working camps, because the kids aren't allowed food until lunch). This morning I had the same smoothie with a piece of toast topped with avocado and tomato, and it lasted me until lunch time. Again, I don't normally count calories, so I think that my usual breakfast smoothies (or breakfasts in general) are higher in calories because they usually contain nuts, nut butter, or avocados, so I'll just add some nuts or some toes + pb or avocado from now on.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next