| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Question about Skinny B*tch
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just took everything they said with a grain of salt. I was already vegan at the time. I agreed with a lot of stuff, but there was a fair amount of eye rolling too. I don't think it's a terrible read for someone who hasn't had ED or other issues with food.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:41 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Tynamite, I know you already posted Vegan For Life but I wanted to echo some of the others' recommendations for Eating Animals. While the Food Revolution "converted" me, Eating Animals was an interesting read to me because in addition to the usual pro-veg ideas, Foer explored food's importance in culture. He also is a novelist so the book came across as less reference-y, if that makes sense. But note its not a vegan book per se; Foer is/was a vegetarian and doesn't explore the dairy industry specifically.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:40 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks emmalv. Once I'm done with the Norris book I'm definitely going to give the Foer book a read next. I teach as a Sociology adjunct so anything looked at within a cultural context is something I find interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:41 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks emmalv. Once I'm done with the Norris book I'm definitely going to give the Foer book a read next. I teach as a Sociology adjunct so anything looked at within a cultural context is something I find interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:35 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

emmalv wrote:
Tynamite, I know you already posted Vegan For Life but I wanted to echo some of the others' recommendations for Eating Animals. While the Food Revolution "converted" me, Eating Animals was an interesting read to me because in addition to the usual pro-veg ideas, Foer explored food's importance in culture. He also is a novelist so the book came across as less reference-y, if that makes sense. But note its not a vegan book per se; Foer is/was a vegetarian and doesn't explore the dairy industry specifically.

One of the many things I liked about the book was that is was a narrative from a reluctant vegetarian, who had enough integrity to look at everything, add it up, relate to the reader and tell why he made the switch.