| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The French Market Cookbook by Clotilde Dusoulier
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:33 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen by Clotilde Dusoulier

http://www.amazon.com/The-French-Market-Cookbook-ebook/dp/B00AXIZ5IQ/

This cookbook is vegetarian, but is said to include vegan options for some of the recipes. Since I love French cuisine, I'm tempted to purchase it, but I'd like to hear opinions first. Has anyone here purchased it or gotten it from the library?

Post subject: Re: The French Market Cookbook by Clotilde Dusoulier
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:45 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

LFL wrote:
[i]Has anyone here purchased it or gotten it from the library?

Not yet, but I'd love to hear other's opinions, too. The few recipes that can be accessed on the Amazon site look promising.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:36 am 
Nailed to the V

I saw it at work. It looks really nice - but it's not something I personally i would buy. I wasn't too impressed. it was a nice book and all just didn't trigger "ooh! BUY!" from me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

daisysunshine wrote:
I saw it at work. It looks really nice - but it's not something I personally i would buy. I wasn't too impressed. it was a nice book and all just didn't trigger "ooh! BUY!" from me.

Liv, is there any particular reason why you weren't too impressed? Were the recipes not overly appealing or was it something else?

Regarding how vegan-friendly the cookbook is, I received this response from the author a few months ago when I enquired about the book:
Thanks for your note and your interest!
About half of the recipes in THE FRENCH MARKET COOKBOOK are naturally vegan, and I would say another quarter or so are veganizable. The remaining ones include eggs (but very little dairy), so could be toyed with using egg replacers and such.
Hope that helps!
Clotilde

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

littlechicken -

I don't know why. usually at work, I arm myself with a pad of paper and pencil so I can preview these books for you guys, but nothing grabbed at me. (maybe it's my mind is all "am broke, can't buy anything LOL). it looked GOOD. but just didn't scream. "must make now!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:35 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

daisysunshine wrote:
littlechicken -

I don't know why. usually at work, I arm myself with a pad of paper and pencil so I can preview these books for you guys, but nothing grabbed at me. (maybe it's my mind is all "am broke, can't buy anything LOL). it looked GOOD. but just didn't scream. "must make now!"

That makes perfect sense, thanks! I might leave it on my wish list for now and wait until there are a few more reviews on Amazon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

I saw this at Barnes and Noble today. Like daisysunshine said, the book looked just okay, but nothing earth shattering. I grew bored of looking through it pretty quickly, as it seemed kind of basic and not exciting. Plus, I didn't really want to bother with it if I'd just have to veganize half the recipes, anyway. But that is only my opinion!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:53 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

beethecookie wrote:
I saw this at Barnes and Noble today. Like daisysunshine said, the book looked just okay, but nothing earth shattering. I grew bored of looking through it pretty quickly, as it seemed kind of basic and not exciting. Plus, I didn't really want to bother with it if I'd just have to veganize half the recipes, anyway. But that is only my opinion!

I agree, beethecookie. I made the mistake of ordering this based on what could be viewed on Amazon's Look Inside feature.

Though attractively done, most of the recipes do seem to be pretty basic. Also, the book contains a lot less vegan recipes than I thought it would. At least during these warm weather months, nothing other than a salad recipe or two is really calling out to me. I don't dislike the French Market Cookbook enough to return it and I have no doubt that throughout the year I will find enough interesting recipes to justify its cost. Still, had I seen this one in person before making the purchase, it would likely not be on my bookshelf.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

It's a shame you aren't happy with something you had already purchased; I kinda did the same thing recently with another book.

But you're right, the French Market book is very pretty to look at, so there's that!