| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Feasts by Rose Elliott
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:48 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I came across this book for 3 $ and bought it, are there any good recipes in it?

Post subject: Re: Vegan Feasts by Rose Elliott
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:47 pm 
Inflexitarian

Oh wow I'd forgotten all about this book! I've had it since the 90s and was one of my favourites at the time. I just got it out to flick through it again. The recipes are quite basic aren't they, but there are some good ones, especially if you spice them up a bit. I think this is book has one of the first recipes I tried for eggless mayo, and the quick hollandaise is also really good. The broccoli and almond flan is really good for a tofuless quiche option, although nowadays I'd include nooch and dijon mustard to make it cheesier. I've made the chickpea and potato pasties - they're pretty good (although I used to put caramelised onion in mine too) - I must make them again. Oh yes, the flaky potato pie is fantastic for special occasions. I find the recipes I used to make in the 80s and 90s were mainly from British cookbooks, some with a French influence, and although nice, were possibly more rich than what I eat now, and not as spicy as my current tastes, but I think it would be pretty easy to adapt them. Others I've made and enjoyed: flaky mushroom roll (but with toasted walnuts included), spaghetti with mushroom sauce, green lentil burgers with dill sauce, colcannon (yum!), the red lentils with potatoes and caramelised onions are delicious, and I've made the stuffed white nut roast for Christmas a few times and adapted it as a stuffing that I've used for roast vegetable filo parcels and seitan roulade that I've made many times. I think there are much better cake recipes elsewhere, but the vegan whipped cream is great, and you can adapt it into a not-too-sweet frosting with different flavours (putting melted chocolate into it makes it like a mousse).

Thanks for reminding me about this book!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Speaking of this book, I have a spare copy if anyone would like me to post it to them. I'm not sure why I have two but it seems a waste...dm me if anyone would like it :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:32 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thanks Karena for your answer!