| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:21 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Just made the taco lasagna. It was good. Nothing spectacular, but I really liked the mushrooms in it. Next time I'll just use the Yellow Rose Recipes nacho sauce, though, because I like it better. Although I might add a chipotle in adobo instead of the jalapeños that it calls for because I did like the heat and smokiness.

Also made the Samoa Joe Cupcakes. They were quite labor intensive, but fun to make anyway. I haven't tried one yet...I'm almost afraid. They just seem like they're going to be too rich for me. Luckily, my boyfriend loves sweets and I have a couple of friends I can give some to. I just wanted to try one!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:43 am 

Finally got up the courage to eat one of the samoa cupcakes and they are indeed awesome. And dangerous. I've already gotten rid of half of them to my boyfriend. By the way, I couldn't find any regular vegan margarine, so I used the Earth Balance coconut spread in both the caramel sauce and the frosting. I was afraid it would be too coconutty or that the frosting wouldn't come together correctly, but it worked just fine!

Anyone have any ideas what to do with leftover caramel sauce? The recipe made waaaay more than I needed for the cupcakes. I should probably just give it away since I don't eat that many sweets, but it's so tasty, I'd like to use it for something.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:37 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the Banana Carrot Cake Donuts last night - excellent! I think there's a typo, though. It says to bake at 325 degrees, but that seemed too low so I baked them at 350 and no problem at all. Also, because of coconut allergies + picky family, instead of the pineapple coconut glaze I just dunked them into a basic powdered sugar glaze. Fabulous. My family gobbled them down!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:51 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I got this book from the library and I am very impressed with it so far. The layout, pics, writing is very inviting. Plus there are so many yummy looking recipes I want to try. What made me post here is the German Chocolate Cookies. My first recipe out of this book and WOW! There are delicious! I was skeptical with how wet the batter looked but they baked up beautifully. So chewy and just so yummy. These are not healthy at all so I had to force myself to stop after 4 cookies tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

make the breakfast pizza.
it's amazing.

i tried to make this into a pot pie - but the biscuit gets SOO puffy it just takes over my baking dish.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

allularpunk wrote:
Finally got up the courage to eat one of the samoa cupcakes and they are indeed awesome. And dangerous. I've already gotten rid of half of them to my boyfriend. By the way, I couldn't find any regular vegan margarine, so I used the Earth Balance coconut spread in both the caramel sauce and the frosting. I was afraid it would be too coconutty or that the frosting wouldn't come together correctly, but it worked just fine!

Anyone have any ideas what to do with leftover caramel sauce? The recipe made waaaay more than I needed for the cupcakes. I should probably just give it away since I don't eat that many sweets, but it's so tasty, I'd like to use it for something.

Does the caramel sauce harden at all? I want to use it to fill a round pretzel and then put choc chips on top. But I have a feeling it stays a liquid.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:10 pm 

It stayed liquid for me.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

Ok thanks! I am sure I'll make it at some point for some other dessert, it sounds so good. But it won't work for me on this then.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:58 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made the Banana Bread French Toast cupcakes from the blog. I was cooking a lot and my feet started to hurt so i skipped the frosting. But they were so good even without it! My friends agreed that it did not need the frosting. I must admit, i think i may even like this banana cupcake recipe better than the one in VCTOTW.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i got this book for xmas.
i apparently have made the taco lasagna without realizing it was from this book.

i printed off the internet from either vegnews or vegweb or something,'
it was really easy to make even though it looks like a lot of ingredients.
thought it was pretty yummy too

im most excited about the desserts in this book

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:40 am 
Nailed to the V

Reading through this thread, I can't understand why I barely cook from this book. I've made the German Chocolate Cookies and the Falafel Waffles, and that's it! I particularly want to make more savory dishes, like the breakfast pizza and some of the snacky things. It's a purty book.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

my sister bought this for us for xmas and I'm so excited to make some stuff. Gotta definitely get my hands on some cherry pie filling for those brownies 'cause I've been craving black forest stuff. And we made the breakfast pizza this past weekend and loved it - I always make scrambles into a pie with potatoes as a crust, but for some reason never thought of using biscuits - definitely another favorite thing in our house - as the crust. It was sooo good, had to restrain ourselves from eating too much of it. The only changes I made were tons o' spinach instead of broccoli and I found we didnt really need all that gravy (but it sure was tasty!)
I've got my eye on the green bean casserole pizza 'cause we have like 2 cans of those fried onions left from tgiving/xmas casserolery, and not sure what else...glad to have savory recipes as well as sweet, to be sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:42 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the Breakfast Pizza for dinner the other night...omg, it was sooooo good and so comforting / hedonistic (hedonism can be comforting, right?)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:28 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Made the Mac N Yeast tonight and it was awesome! I did tweak it just a little with spices to suit my tastes..but all my kids went nuts over it. Definitely going on my weekly menu planner.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:50 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Got this book for Christmas, actually I got two copies, and it's really cute! I've only made the Breakfast Pizza so far but it was a hit! The biscuit crust was so delicious as was the gravy but I think I would use a different scramble recipe next time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

I posted some reviews in the cookbook challenge thread, but I wanted to put them here so that folks reading this thread can find them easily.

Black Metal Forest Brownies -- these are very fudgey brownies with a cherry swirl. They made delicious ice cream brownie sundaes. I had to cook them about 40 minutes to get them set up.

Samosa Pot Pie -- I thought this was good, but not great. I also didn't think it tasted that much like samosa. It's more of a curried veggie pot pie. I really loved the pie crust though. Not sure if it's because I'm getting better at pie crusts or because the recipe was great, but it was my best pie crust yet.

Chicago Sammich -- this is a veggie sandwich with the flavors of a Chicago-Style hot dog. I've never had a Chicago-Style hot do, but I thought this was yummy. I really liked the cheezy sauce.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

do you guys think the falafel waffles could be made in a Belgian waffle maker?
i showed the recipe to my husband and he was like "oh but we have a Belgian waffle maker" and i was like "?????????????"

what's the difference besides the shape/

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

LisaPunk wrote:
do you guys think the falafel waffles could be made in a Belgian waffle maker?
i showed the recipe to my husband and he was like "oh but we have a Belgian waffle maker" and i was like "?????????????"

what's the difference besides the shape/

I think Belgians are just super thick? Falafel Belgians sound like an amazing plan to me.

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:11 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

It's worth a shot right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:09 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

LisaPunk wrote:
It's worth a shot right?

It is worth all the shots!

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the black metal forest brownies but i had to bake them foooorrreeevvvverrrr and they were still partially raw.
i baked them for at least an hour and the middle was still raw.

however i will admit that i used more than 1/3 cup of cherry pie filling because the 1/3 cup was almost nothing so i dont know if that sort of kept everything underneath raw. i also think my oven isnt reliable

even though they were partially raw they were very yummy and very rich

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Moon wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
It's worth a shot right?

It is worth all the shots!

How did they turn out? I've been eyeing that recipe but I only have a Belgian waffle maker as well.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i havent made them yet. probably some time this week.
will report back

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok i have the "batter" for these in my fridge for tonight but i have serious reservations.

it looks nothing like a "batter" and looks like any other falafel recipe ive ever made so i guess i just mush it into the waffle maker.

we shall see how this goes.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I await to hear back! If it goes well for you I'm going to make these this weekend!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next