| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so the great falafel waffle experiment went ok.

i thought the batter was super dry but i didnt want to mess with it for my first try.

it made 4 belgian waffles and it took me awhile to cram all the batter in.
i was paranoid about how long to cook them so i kept opening it.

i ended up letting them cook for about 10 mins but my husband thinks i should have left them longer and maybe they would have stayed together better.

they were very crumbly and mine came out in a big crumble pile. my husband had better luck getting his out.

the hummus did not come out more loose than normal to me. came out the consistancy of regular homemade hummus to me. i didnt want to add anymore oil as i had already added extra and thats ALOT of oil.

so despite those things they did taste good. they were a tad dry if you got a bite with no hummus.
if i ever made them again i would add a little oil to the batter and see if that helped with the consistancy and dryness.

not sure i will make them again as it seemed like a lot of futzing when i could make Isa's falafel burgers or CHloe's falafel sliders.

it was a fun little adventure though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hmm, if I make I will add some extra oil to the batter. Thanks for being the waffle guinea pig!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:17 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

lobsteriffic wrote:
Hmm, if I make I will add some extra oil to the batter. Thanks for being the waffle guinea pig!

Ditto. I've been eyeing these for awhile but have been too scared to try them, so thanks for being a better person than me! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've had this book for months, and have leafed thru it countless times, but never made a recipe until late last night: German's Chocolate Cookies.

My pantry had some bare spots, so I subbed:
1c oat flour and 1/3c tapioca flour for the regular/wheat flour (had only 2/3c AP flour to use)

brown sugar for the regular sugar (used a bit less - and would use even less next time)

no coconut (couldn't find it in the depths of my cupboards)

That said, they came together very quickly and were really yummy and decadent. I like my cookies a bit flatter/chewy-crispy, and these were on the tall side, so I might pat them down a bit next time, OR just use less flour.

I wouldn't normally comment on a recipe when I've made so many subs, but these were delicious and clearly flexible, and I'd definitely make them again. Omni family declared them a hit!

I've been wanting to make the black forest brownies since day 1, but never remember to buy cherry pie filling, OR can only find one with loads of crepe in it. I *adore* the Fudgy Wudgy Blueberry Brownies in Vcon, so I can only imagine that these will be right up there at the top of the list.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

LisaPunk wrote:
so the great falafel waffle experiment went ok.

i thought the batter was super dry but i didnt want to mess with it for my first try.

it made 4 belgian waffles and it took me awhile to cram all the batter in.
i was paranoid about how long to cook them so i kept opening it.

i ended up letting them cook for about 10 mins but my husband thinks i should have left them longer and maybe they would have stayed together better.

they were very crumbly and mine came out in a big crumble pile. my husband had better luck getting his out.

Yep, same thing happened to me. I ended up making my waffles into falafel crumble salads, since they just did not hold together at all.

I made the Indian Buffet Pizza today; whoa yum! It is a lot of steps and I spread them out over my day, but it was well worth the efforts I put in. The crust recipe from this book was a pleasant surprise; I really loved it. Chewy, soft, with a good crunch on the edges.

I didn't do the chutney that accompanied the pizza; instead I made some Meltable Muenster from Artisan Vegan Cheese and plopped hunks of that onto my pie. It was amazing. Loved.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:45 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

LisaPunk wrote:
i made the black metal forest brownies but i had to bake them foooorrreeevvvverrrr and they were still partially raw.
i baked them for at least an hour and the middle was still raw.

however i will admit that i used more than 1/3 cup of cherry pie filling because the 1/3 cup was almost nothing so i dont know if that sort of kept everything underneath raw. i also think my oven isnt reliable

even though they were partially raw they were very yummy and very rich

I yanked them out at 35min, because her description says they are like molten chocolate when hot (which would be runny/not solid), and would cool to perfect chewiness. The edges were PERFECT at 35 min, and when cooled, the brownies did pretty much set - but I think they still needed a few more minutes, so I'd probably go 40-45 next time... I separated them in the pan a bit, and put them into a hot oven that was cooling down from another recipe, and they seem much better.

I also used maybe 1/2+ cup of the cherry filling, and I found it difficult to "swirl" into such a dense batter - so the cherry filling more sat on top with some swirly effect. But I also sub'd a GF mix of 5 different flours, so that could have changed texture to make the swirl more elusive for me.

That said, they were fudgy and delicious, and the cherry+chocolate was a great combo. I actually used about 1/4 less sugar, because 2c seemed like so much, and they were still a bit too sweet for me. I may add more cocoa powder next time - or just try a different fudgy recipe using the cherry instead (helllllo, Vcon Fudgy Wudgy Blueberry Brownies).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:42 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i baked mine for over an hour and it did set up better once cool like you described but the middle of the whole pan was still very doughy but im still suspicious of my oven.

i didnt really swirl the cherry either and it also was more of a topping.
i bought really really cheap generic like $1 cherry pie filling and it didnt have a lot of flavor so i was pretty mad at myself about that

i will definitely make these again though even with the issues i had. they were very tasty even if i had to eat it with a spoon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:24 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made my first few recipes from this book. Firstly the totchos, I wasn't the biggest fan of the cheesy sauce so I would probably use a different recipe if I made them again but overall I liked them. I also made the pretzel dogs which were ok but not sure if I would make them again.

I want to try one of the baking recipes next, they all look pretty good!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

More love for the German Chocolate Cookies. I am eating one right now and it is delish.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:22 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Just took the ranch kale chips out of the dehydrator (which I used instead of the oven). They are sooooo good. It's my first time using my dehydrator, but they are perfectly crispy and the flavor is great. I'm excited to try the other flavors :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:18 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

In the last month or so I've made the Samoa Joe cupcakes and the Lemon Meringue ones. They are both pretty over-the-top decadent but so, so good. Especially the lemon meringue ones - while eating them I really felt like I was eating lemon meringue pie! like, obviously the texture is different than a creamy pie, but the taste hit all the same notes for me. So cool.
we also made the Spaghetti cake last night and it was comforting and yummy. My bf felt it could've used a little more oomph BUT that's his fault because he didn't want to make the tomato sauce that goes with it, which contains olives, mushrooms and lots more oomph than just the plain but very delicious standard tomato sauce he always makes and used in this dish.
also I just realized that in the intro to her tofu scramble recipe she references a mutual friend! small world.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:05 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the Banana Bread French Toast cupcakes yesterday. I didn't like the flavour of the icing all that much but overall they were pretty good. The Samoa Joe are the next ones I want to make, they look really yummy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:52 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I love this book, but for some reason the only thing I've ever made from it is the German's Chocolate Cookies. Most likely because I tend to always have all of the ingredients already, and every time I leaf through the book, I see them and thinks, "hey, I have the stuff for these..." and so I make them again and again.

I really want to try to green bean casserole pizza.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:17 am 
Nailed to the V

for my mom's birthday, I made her the black metal forest brownies. holy moses. talk about fudgey delicious. I don't know if i'm too sold on the cherry pie bit (mom loved it to pieces). but this may be my go-to brownie. (I mixed the cherries IN the batter, then spooned some cherry syrup on top, and everything just crackled like pregan brownies.

i was requested to make the green bean casserole pizza - but i can't find the french fried onions anywhere. (is it just an american thing?)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:09 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

daisysunshine wrote:
for my mom's birthday, I made her the black metal forest brownies. holy moses. talk about fudgey delicious. I don't know if i'm too sold on the cherry pie bit (mom loved it to pieces). but this may be my go-to brownie. (I mixed the cherries IN the batter, then spooned some cherry syrup on top, and everything just crackled like pregan brownies.

i was requested to make the green bean casserole pizza - but i can't find the french fried onions anywhere. (is it just an american thing?)

Where in the world are you? If its the UK I have seen canned French fried onions in Asda. I just used these: http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore ... 0001264808

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:11 am 
Nailed to the V

Star wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

Where in the world are you? If its the UK I have seen canned French fried onions in Asda. I just used these: http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore ... 0001264808

Toronto, Canada.
which makes it very bizarre! LOL it could have been just my supermarket, but everyone keeps saying they've stopped seeing them. (I just think they wouldn't be at the discount supermarket).

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Daisy, I've never seen those onions either. Maybe I'm not looking really hard or really well, but I've always confused by it also.

Though, my local has brought in this fried onion burger topping! But they look like crumbles and probably wouldn't work for you. So that tidbit was only sort of related and unhelpful.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:56 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Moon wrote:

Though, my local has brought in this fried onion burger topping! But they look like crumbles and probably wouldn't work for you. So that tidbit was only sort of related and unhelpful.

They are kinda what I used. Maybe just use fried onions instead?

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's so weird you can't find them in Toronto! I haven't looked for them since I've moved here. About 4 years ago I used to find them in Saskatoon no problem. That's the last time I looked though.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

Moon wrote:
Daisy, I've never seen those onions either. Maybe I'm not looking really hard or really well, but I've always confused by it also.

not unhelpful! i'm thinking the fried onion things just add -crunch- as well as texture to the pizza. I've never had green bean cassrole.

Star - that's what my ma said - if we NEED to have onions, just fry our own. (soak in milk, coat, fry, i'm thinking)?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

lobsteriffic wrote:
That's so weird you can't find them in Toronto! I haven't looked for them since I've moved here. About 4 years ago I used to find them in Saskatoon no problem. That's the last time I looked though.

i think No Frills just doesn't sell them. the people were like "fried onions? you mean, onion rngs?"

like. no. if i meant onion rings, i'd say onion rings. LOL so i'm going to try Superstore or Metro or something.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:50 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

daisysunshine wrote:

Star - that's what my ma said - if we NEED to have onions, just fry our own. (soak in milk, coat, fry, i'm thinking)?

I just looked at a recipe on Food.com. You're right - soak in non dairy beverage, coat in flour, fry!

Goodreads

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

daisysunshine wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

i think No Frills just doesn't sell them. the people were like "fried onions? you mean, onion rngs?"

like. no. if i meant onion rings, i'd say onion rings. LOL so i'm going to try Superstore or Metro or something.

Metro is probably be a good bet. The onion crumble things I saw were at an independent (aka superstore) so if you're down with those, you might find them there. They were in a big display of BBQ stuff in a little display, not in an aisle.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:11 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I baked a chocolate cake with Russian Imperial Stout for a party over the weekend and used her recipe for caramel sauce instead of frosting. It was so friggin' good.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:13 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I just bought this cookbook a few days ago. I made the Banana Bread French Toast cupcakes which are also on her blog. They're very, very good and I ended up eating 3 (!) of them. Although it's the only recipe I've tried, I have a feeling that this lady knows how to bake.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next